SOMEBODY FLIPPING ONE FUCKING SWITCH WOULD HAVE KEPT AUSTIN IN WATER

Hagbard Celine

4 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Water back on in 78736 about 8PM last night.

Lied and told everyone it was still out. I just like the way a crisis brings my family together and don't want it to end.

Of course, if I find broken pipes in the morning it won't end.

No leaks, just lots of trees to deal with over the next few weeks.

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

So when can I run my dishwasher without being an asshole?

Sorry, you post on Surly so you will always be an asshole.  

But go ahead and run the dishwasher.  She probably has put on a few pounds during the winter lock down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

We're in NW.  Water has been running clean and clear.

As I recall, we need to flush out our faucets, to get any crappy water out of them, and we need to empty the icemaker and discard the next three batches of ice or so.  And after that, we're in business.  So, by the end of the night tonight, we'll be fully back up and running.  Over a week of non-functional utilities.  Pretty astounding.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're in NW.  Water has been running clean and clear.

As I recall, we need to flush out our faucets, to get any crappy water out of them, and we need to empty the icemaker and discard the next three batches of ice or so.  And after that, we're in business.  So, by the end of the night tonight, we'll be fully back up and running.  Over a week of non-functional utilities.  Pretty astounding.

We used to be called the third coast.  In terms of utilities, we're third world.  I mean fucking zebra mussels  and a flood took out our water system a couple years ago.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We used to be called the third coast.  In terms of utilities, we're third world.  I mean fucking zebra mussels  and a flood took out our water system a couple years ago.

Yeah, I was thinking about that 2018 shutdown.  I think we were on boil water notice for a full 6 days IIRC.  One Zebra Mussel event before that, and then one after it.  We've also had water main breaks out the yin-yang in our neighborhood over the years, presumably due to crummy infrastructure.  And then of course this current shitshow which lasted days in our home.  

For 5 fucking years, citizens have demanded to see the CapEx of Austin Water.  To see if they are spending appropriate amounts of money on improving/updating/repairing water infrastructure both at the plants and underground.  And Ellen Troxclair dared to suggest we maybe should have an independent body look at the budget so we can see if we're doing the right CapEx to keep ourselves up to date in case of stuff like floods, mussels, power outages, or deep freezes.  And half this fucking site and all of City Council told her to fuck off.  Well fuck you cocksuckers.  The power outages may be on ERCOT but this water bullshit for the last week is on City Fucking Council.  Fucking Morons, All.  We could finally fucking see how we are spending all that money and making sure the robust amounts are invested in upgrades and maintenance.  But nope,2/3rds of this city wouldn't fucking stand for it---business as usual, all is well, remain calm.  One fucking disaster after another at Austin Water than the rest of us have to pay for. 

$50 says there's a fucking water bond on in 2022 to fix their shit, too.  Oversights and Audit?  Nah...who fucking needs 'em.  This is squarely on our moronic Council, Mayor, those that refuse independent reviews of Austin Water, and every last one of you fucking Austinites who blindly follows that this beyond corrupt Council keeps promising you.  Fuck you, fuck ERCOT, fuck Dan Patrick, fuck Steve Adler, fuck everyone who thought Troxclair's independent review was bullshit politics, fuck all of you.  You put real people in real danger this week.  Complicit fuckbags who slurp up the shit that falls from Council's dais because they make you feel progressive.  Fuck you, incompetent hypocrites.  Go invent some imaginary enemy to blame this shit on, you fucking sheep.  Oh yeah, right...this is all the fault or rich Austinites who use too much water on their lawns.  Or whatever bullshit you guys are peddling this week.  Fucking idiots. 

Yeah, I was thinking about that 2018 shutdown.  I think we were on boil water notice for a full 6 days IIRC.  One Zebra Mussel event before that, and then one after it.  We've also had water main breaks out the yin-yang in our neighborhood over the years, presumably due to crummy infrastructure.  And then of course this current shitshow which lasted days in our home.  
For 5 fucking years, citizens have demanded to see the CapEx of Austin Water.  To see if they are spending appropriate amounts of money on improving/updating/repairing water infrastructure both at the plants and underground.  And Ellen Troxclair dared to suggest we maybe should have an independent body look at the budget so we can see if we're doing the right CapEx to keep ourselves up to date in case of stuff like floods, mussels, power outages, or deep freezes.  And half this fucking site and all of City Council told her to fuck off.  Well fuck you cocksuckers.  The power outages may be on ERCOT but this water bullshit for the last week is on City Fucking Council.  Fucking Morons, All.  We could finally fucking see how we are spending all that money and making sure the robust amounts are invested in upgrades and maintenance.  But nope,2/3rds of this city wouldn't fucking stand for it---business as usual, all is well, remain calm.  One fucking disaster after another at Austin Water than the rest of us have to pay for. 
$50 says there's a fucking water bond on in 2022 to fix their shit, too.  Oversights and Audit?  Nah...who fucking needs 'em.  This is squarely on our moronic Council, Mayor, those that refuse independent reviews of Austin Water, and every last one of you fucking Austinites who blindly follows that this beyond corrupt Council keeps promising you.  Fuck you, fuck ERCOT, fuck Dan Patrick, fuck Steve Adler, fuck everyone who thought Troxclair's independent review was bullshit politics, fuck all of you.  You put real people in real danger this week.  Complicit fuckbags who slurp up the shit that falls from Council's dais because they make you feel progressive.  Fuck you, incompetent hypocrites.  Go invent some imaginary enemy to blame this shit on, you fucking sheep.  Oh yeah, right...this is all the fault or rich Austinites who use too much water on their lawns.  Or whatever bullshit you guys are peddling this week.  Fucking idiots. 

Those bike bridges though...

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The "shit" is working good, our own Scheiss Meister is on top of that.  It's the water infrastructure that's ailing.  And yeah probably aggy or sooner.

I am not involved with Austin's wastewater, but I am on top of it where I work.  Still a couple of problems, but they're pretty minor.  The paperwork is fucking me up, though.

You are correct about the infrastructure, both water and wastewater.  Replacing buried lines is time consuming and expensive, and has to be very carefully done to avoid or minimize outages. 

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the pumping and treatment infrastructure was fine, until they lost power.  The water guys where I work busted their asses to keep their diesel powered backup generators fueled.  At one point they were ferrying diesel in 5 gallon cans.  If they had run out of diesel, we would have been up my Shit Creek.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I am not involved with Austin's wastewater, but I am on top of it where I work.  Still a couple of problems, but they're pretty minor.  The paperwork is fucking me up, though.

You are correct about the infrastructure, both water and wastewater.  Replacing buried lines is time consuming and expensive, and has to be very carefully done to avoid or minimize outages. 

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the pumping and treatment infrastructure was fine, until they lost power.  The water guys where I work busted their asses to keep their diesel powered backup generators fueled.  At one point they were ferrying diesel in 5 gallon cans.  If they had run out of diesel, we would have been up my Shit Creek.

To be honest, there are a lot of people who bust their asses to keep things going.   Like linemen, they are badasses.   I couldn’t and wouldn’t do what those guys do.   They deserve better leadership and infrastructure though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Macaulay Culkin Yes GIF by filmeditor

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I'm not seeing that, I'm in Southwest A and still showing boil?  But 2 blocks away is green lol.

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Dunno.  It was yellow in those areas an hour ago, and I just clicked on it 5 minutes ago and it was all green.  I didn't refresh - I clicked the link and it opened up and new browser window.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

All SW is still showing yellow for me. 

Make sure you are looking at the boil water notice map link and not the map that is on the operation status page.

https://austinwater.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=78f53b392a0a4eb2869b0e9fe127c92c

Showing all green for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to SOMEBODY FLIPPING ONE FUCKING SWITCH WOULD HAVE KEPT AUSTIN IN WATER