OU benchwarmer picking a fight with 2 wrestlers

52-80

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The little guys' "alright, we weren't going to do it but I guess you want this L" side conversation pre-fight was an immediate bad sign for the football Sooners trying to intimidate them.

couldnt pick out what was said in the 2nd sentence, but his 1st sentence was literally "which one do you want". 

slick.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The dude who got his head slammed into the wall (assuming that's the OU holder) is lucky he doesn't have brain damage  (more than he already did).  Dipshittery all around.  

Wall probably broke his orbital bones, and then it got scrambled around some more. Probably hurt a bit. 

while we,re on KOs , here’s what Houston product Derrick Lewis did last night

https://streamable.com/op17je

Also, you'd be amazed at the talent level of high school wrestling coaches. Our Assistant HC was in the Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater. World silver medalist, Olympic qualifier, three time All American, one time NCAA Div 1 National Champion at Oklahoma State. He was a bad ass old man that had wrestled with all the greats of his era. Wrestled the Russians in Cold War days where a match was one closed fist away from an international street fight. 

I like to shit on Oklahoma probably more than most guys here because I was forced to live there. One thing we can never claim any superiority on is wrestling. They breed them up there.

9 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

As a kid who grew up in small town Texas, I had never heard of wrestling. When we moved to Oklahoma I was in Jr. High and I signed up for wrestling. Wrestled all the way through senior year in 6A. Was third in the state a few years. 

I can tell you this much: football makes you understand strength and brute force. Wrestling makes you understand how to use that against your opponent. If you tango with a solid wrestler you had better land the first punch square because you may not land another one before you go to the ground.

watching this little fucker throw around guys when he played nose guard at Amarillo Tascosa was something else...1512889840_ScreenShot2021-02-21at2_09_52PM.thumb.png.d361848e85dc1cac053fa854fb3058d0.png

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

watching this little fucker throw around guys when he played nose guard at Amarillo Tascosa was something else...1512889840_ScreenShot2021-02-21at2_09_52PM.thumb.png.d361848e85dc1cac053fa854fb3058d0.png

No doubt! I always keep an eye on the Texas boys that wrestle elsewhere since there aren't any programs in Texas. Bo Nickal out of Allen has been awesome for getting some Texas kids to step on the mat. It was hard to root for a Penn State guy but damn he's good.

Beware of the cauliflower ear. 

That sumbitch at OU that's going first round in the draft this year, Creed Humphreys, wrestled his entire life. He manhandles anyone you put on him and makes it look easy. 

Texas should really start emphasizing wrestling at a young age. Way less CTE stuff for the kids and I promise you they'll be better football players for it. The balance, footwork, mechanics, gas tank, mental toughness, spatial awareness, etc of a wrestler is highly evolved compared to your typical football player.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

As a kid who grew up in small town Texas, I had never heard of wrestling. When we moved to Oklahoma I was in Jr. High and I signed up for wrestling. Wrestled all the way through senior year in 6A. Was third in the state a few years. 

I can tell you this much: football makes you understand strength and brute force. Wrestling makes you understand how to use that against your opponent. If you tango with a solid wrestler you had better land the first punch square because you may not land another one before you go to the ground.

You just described Pennsylvania wrestling as well. My high school has won 15 consecutive Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association titles, small school and there are only two classes in Pennsylvania for wrestling. In high school, and after, you never ever picked a fight if you had no idea with whom you were picking because that 138-pound kid just might kick your ass in 15 seconds. There is a shit ton of great wrestling up here. As much as I despise the Nitters their wrestling program is amazing. Pitt is top-20, but not in the same league right now.

I do remember watching Carlton Haselrig wrestle at Pitt-Johnstown and he won, I think, seven NCAA titles and then went on to play OL for the Steelers. The rules are different now and he can't just go up from Pitt-Johnstown level to the open NCAA Tournament like he did. 

Those two kids are extremely lucky they are not seriously injured.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

At least one of them was seriously injured. 

He said the receiver underwent a four-hour operation on Feb. 16 that was performed by Dr. Perry Brooks in Norman, Oklahoma.

“Dr. Brooks came out of that surgery saying he’s extraordinarily lucky at this point, that he’s lucky he didn’t lose the eye altogether,” Glass said. “And so he was able to do some things surgically to rebuild that orbital socket and thinks everything is eventually going to come back to normal, but it’s going to take a while for him to fully recover.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/amp/oklahomas_spencer_jones_suffered_serious_eye_injury_in_bar_fight/s1_127_34162337

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

You just described Pennsylvania wrestling as well. My high school has won 15 consecutive Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association titles, small school and there are only two classes in Pennsylvania for wrestling. In high school, and after, you never ever picked a fight if you had no idea with whom you were picking because that 138-pound kid just might kick your ass in 15 seconds. There is a shit ton of great wrestling up here. As much as I despise the Nitters their wrestling program is amazing. Pitt is top-20, but not in the same league right now.

I do remember watching Carlton Haselrig wrestle at Pitt-Johnstown and he won, I think, seven NCAA titles and then went on to play OL for the Steelers. The rules are different now and he can't just go up from Pitt-Johnstown level to the open NCAA Tournament like he did. 

Yeah, Pennsylvania is a hotbed for great wrestling. It's incredible how many studs have come out of Pennsylvania in just the last decade. PSU having Cael Sanderson as HC is almost cheating.

Wrestling was new at my HS in the 80s.  We had a wrestling coach who I think did some juco wrestling in OK or IA or NE where it's big.  He had kind of a bowl cut that covered the tops of his vaguely cauliflowered ears.  He was about 5-8, 160 or so.

The wrestling team worked out in the part of the gym that also housed the weight room the football players used.  It was a source of pretty regular amusement for the biggest and baddest linebackers to take on the coach or one of the better and decent sized team wrestlers and get rolled into a ball.

3 minutes ago, Somnio said:

At least one of them was seriously injured. 

He said the receiver underwent a four-hour operation on Feb. 16 that was performed by Dr. Perry Brooks in Norman, Oklahoma.

“Dr. Brooks came out of that surgery saying he’s extraordinarily lucky at this point, that he’s lucky he didn’t lose the eye altogether,” Glass said. “And so he was able to do some things surgically to rebuild that orbital socket and thinks everything is eventually going to come back to normal, but it’s going to take a while for him to fully recover.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/amp/oklahomas_spencer_jones_suffered_serious_eye_injury_in_bar_fight/s1_127_34162337

Ouch. I did not see that part of the story.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ElChupacabra said:

Yeah, Pennsylvania is a hotbed for great wrestling. It's incredible how many studs have come out of Pennsylvania in just the last decade. PSU having Cael Sanderson as HC is almost cheating.

Our coach in high school, I was not on the team, was one of the early Tough Man Contest fighters. He was fucking crazy, and still is. He's in this clip. I'll let you guys guess which one is him (they say he's a coach). One day, during a little break in basketball practice the wrestling coach came out of the locker while wearing a suit. I, normally a smartass, casually said as he walked by, "looking good coach". On my grandmother's graves I was not being a smartass in that moment. Well, he got into me and told me he was going to kick my fucking ass, yada yada yada.....Today we joke about that incident.

They are a different breed

There was also a documentary on Showtime about those early contests up here, sort of a precursor to the MMA/UFC. This Frank Caliguri listed on the first clip is a martial arts teacher in my town.

I personally have trouble watching wrestling. I have to turn away like a scared little kid because I have four fused vertebrae and when their necks and arms are doing things that mine can't do I look away.

Which is a source of amusement for a lot of the gals I grew up with who now have sons who have married wrestlers and have sons who are wrestlers. I take a good deal of ribbing for that.

1 hour ago, ElChupacabra said:

And then you have the linemen who also wrestle. That is a sight to behold.

A friend of mine, who has done a bunch of contracting work for me and my sister, played DT for the Hoopies but before that he was wrestler in high school too. He beat Billy Fralic, a 3-time All America OT at Pitt, in the Pennsylvania state tournament

13 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Our coach in high school, I was not on the team, was one of the early Tough Man Contest fighters. He was fucking crazy, and still is. He's in this clip. I'll let you guys guess which one is him (they say he's a coach). One day, during a little break in basketball practice the wrestling coach came out of the locker while wearing a suit. I, normally a smartass, casually said as he walked by, "looking good coach". On my grandmother's graves I was not being a smartass in that moment. Well, he got into me and told me he was going to kick my fucking ass, yada yada yada.....Today we joke about that incident.

They are a different breed

There was also a documentary on Showtime about those early contests up here, sort of a precursor to the MMA/UFC. This Frank Caliguri listed on the first clip is a martial arts teacher in my town.

I personally have trouble watching wrestling. I have to turn away like a scared little kid because I have four fused vertebrae and when their necks and arms are doing things that mine can't do I look away.

Which is a source of amusement for a lot of the gals I grew up with who now have sons who have married wrestlers and have sons who are wrestlers. I take a good deal of ribbing for that.

Nothing more off-putting than some sweaty Vinnie Bagadonuts wrestler type from McKees Rocks or Finleyville smelling like out of date Gorgonzola cheese. 

• Haha 2