3 dead in Louisiana gun range store shooting

Armybrat

One Jefferson Gun Outlet customer, a 21-year-old man from Gonzales, ended up spending Saturday afternoon in the thick of a crime scene instead of completing his concealed-weapon class. When the shooting started, his instructor, armed with three weapons, told the half-dozen people in the second-floor classroom to get on the floor. The instructor then opened the door and ran into the fray,

leeeeroyyyyyy mmmmmmjenkins!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_231194e6-740d-11eb-893c-bf26a7b81a52.html

Spoiler

A 27-year-old New Orleans man sparked the gun battle that left him and two others dead inside of Jefferson Gun Outlet in Metairie on Saturday afternoon, according to law enforcement sources.

The sources said Joshua Jamal Williams carried a pistol with an extended magazine into the gun store and indoor shooting range at 6719 Airline Drive about 3 p.m. Saturday when staff told him to unload his weapon. Rules prohibit people from having loaded guns out while away from the range.

Williams subsequently fired a warning round before fatally shooting a store clerk, 47-year-old Herbert "Noah" Fischbach, who was married and was a father, one of the sources said. Several armed people at Jefferson Gun Outlet then began exchanging gunfire with Williams.

Williams and a woman were both hit and mortally wounded during the melee. He died after running out to the parking lot, and the woman died near the store’s glass front door, which was shattered. Two other people were wounded and brought to the hospital, and their injuries were not thought to be life-threatening, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office has said.

Jefferson Parish Coroner Gerry Cvitanovich confirmed Williams’ and Fischbach's names Sunday morning. He identified the slain woman as Veronica Billiot, 59, of Belle Chasse.

A relative of Williams on Saturday wondered what might have provoked the first shots to be fired. The relative doubted Williams, who had gone to the store for target practice while spending time with his brother and some children, would have shown up spoiling for a gun fight at a place known to be a hangout spot for off-duty law enforcement officers and ex-military personnel.

“That would be a death sentence,” said the relative, who declined to give his name.

A woman on social media identifying herself as Williams' mother posted a similar message, saying, "My son did not go into that gun range shooting!"

The message added: "Joshua ... was fired at by ... employees of the gun range and other folks in the gun range! He was murdered! (Rest in peace) my love, you will be forever in my heart!"

A social media profile under Fischbach's name describes him as a special effects technician and armorer — or someone who handles weapons — for film and television productions. Besides Metairie and New Orleans, he had lived in Portland, Oregon.

Photos on social media show him with his wife and children. Other information on social media shows Fischbach and his wife had their 14th wedding anniversary less than two weeks before his slaying. 

https://heavy.com/news/joshua-jamal-williams/

Spoiler

Williams died on the scene of the shooting, according to Jefferson Parish Sheriff Joseph Lopinto, who did not identify him by name.

“At this time, it appears a suspect shot two victims inside the location, then was engaged and shot outside the location by multiple other individuals,” Lopinto said Saturday evening. “The suspect is one of the deceased on the scene.”

Deputies said they found five people with gunshot wounds. Three of those people were pronounced dead at the scene, and two additional victims were injured and transported to a local hospital. The hospitalized victims were in stable condition soon after the shooting.

Williams’ mom defended her son on Facebook, saying he was “murdered” and was not looking for a fight at the gun outlet that day.

“My son did not go into that gun range shooting!” she wrote on Facebook, according to Nola.com.

She added: “Joshua … was fired at by … employees of the gun range and other folks in the gun range! He was murdered! (Rest in peace) my love, you will be forever in my heart!”

image.png

Terrible tragedy.  Let's be adults and acknowledge that this will likely set off a number of regulations intended to make gun ranges safer, despite them being some of the safest places you'll ever be in.  I like my range in Austin but things are gonna change, no getting around that. Hope their loved ones make some sense of this madness.  

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

never go to a gun range on the weekend, it's 100% amateur hour / weekend warrior / suburban rambos / wanna be militias 

Just my own inferences from  the article, but this guy might have been deliberately seeking trouble or even suicide.

If you're there to truly shoot/ practice, any reasonable person is going to comply with, "No dude.  Can't use the high cap magazine in here."

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

Just my own inferences from  the article, but this guy might have been deliberately seeking trouble or even suicide.

If you're there to truly shoot/ practice, any reasonable person is going to comply with, "No dude.  Can't use the high cap magazine in here."

Yup. In my experience people at the gun range are the nicest people I’ve ever met. No lie. 

• Like 1

It’s definitely a crazy/tragic story. 

“To him, it made no sense that the brothers would have arrived intending to shoot anyone, in a place known as an off-hours spot for law enforcement officers and military personnel.

“That would be a death sentence,” he said.

The Gonazales man agreed: “Everybody’s strapped in there.”

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Terrible tragedy.  Let's be adults and acknowledge that this will likely set off a number of regulations intended to make gun ranges safer, despite them being some of the safest places you'll ever be in.  I like my range in Austin but things are gonna change, no getting around that. Hope their loved ones make some sense of this madness.  

What would have made this incident not happen?

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know.  Show me where in my quote I claimed to know what would make this incident not happen.  You're pretty young, but you're old enough to have seen the reactions that lawmakers have to events like this.  Don't play coy, it doesn't suit you.  This event has a portend profile that is different, these types of shootings don't happen very often, if at all.  Surrounded by good, responsible people armed to the teeth.  And it happens anyway.  I don't know the motive, I don't know the psychological profile, and I don't give a shit other than feeling horrible the families of the victims and merely commentating on the fact that this will invite new laws for places that already have 1000 gun restrictions at them.  That's not good, bad, or indifferent.  It just "is."  Can't even fucking out the fucking obvious on this site anymore because people are crying out to feel angry about something.  

I am a responsible range member, this is a horrible tragedy.  New rules gonna come out of it.  I don't like it, but only the dumbest fucking people can't see that.  Which, of course, means 35% of Surly.  Christ, never-fucking-mind.  Delete my posts.

16 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You're assuming something. Im not saying you said that, but what would a politician do to stop this from happening?

We'll find out in about 6 weeks.  As usual, the inevitable is pointed out and people assume.

that's my whole fucking point ladies!  Nothing can stop it but my sole fucking point was some lawmaker is gonna try because gun ranges are one of the last "un-legislated" places where you see lots of guns.  Somebody is gonna make a spectacle of this.  That's all I'm fucking saying, somebody will try to make this their issue, some lawmaker.  I don't think you need another rule, I don't know what the rule would be, but there's a room of people right now just thinking new rules up 'n shit.  That's the fucking point...the unknown is the the fucking point.  

The futility of the new rule is the reason the new rule comes to bear.  250 years in, I gotta explain how we keep the lights on in this country?  Christ. 

Edited by Lobo

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

that's my whole fucking point ladies!  Nothing can stop it but my sole fucking point was some lawmaker is gonna try because gun ranges are one of the last "un-legislated" places where you see lots of guns.  Somebody is gonna make a spectacle of this.  That's all I'm fucking saying, somebody will try to make this their issue, some lawmaker.  I don't think you need another rule, I don't know what the rule would be, but there's a room of people right now just thinking new rules up 'n shit.  That's the fucking point...the unknown is the the fucking point.  

The futility of the new rule is the reason the new rule comes to bear.  250 years in, I gotta explain how we keep the lights on in this country?  Christ. 

Lmao lighten up

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

It is progress. If a bunch of nutties who love playing with guns want to waste each other at their gun store/range that's fine. Keep it in house. Just leave kids and innocents who want no part of it alone. 

Yeah, that's who goes to gun ranges.  Nutties who love playing with guns.

I googled the woman victim's name. She's a freelance journalist. I have no way of guessing if that is relevant, but it is interesting.

Katy Reckdahl is a New Orleans-based news reporter who is a frequent contributor to the New Orleans Advocate and the Hechinger Report and has written for The Times-Picayune, The New York Times, The Daily Beast, The Weather Channel, The Nation, Next City, and the Christian Science Monitor.

Link

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I googled the woman victim's name. She's a freelance journalist. I have no way of guessing if that is relevant, but it is interesting.

Link

????

All of them were killed inside Jefferson Gun Outlet in Metairie on Saturday afternoon when an argument over a purported violation of a safety rule devolved into a shootout that sent Veronica Billiot, Herbert “Noah” Fischbach and Joshua Williams to the morgue and two others to the hospital with injuries, officials and loved ones said Sunday.

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

If a bunch of nutties who love playing with guns want to waste each other at their gun store/range that's fine. 

People that go to a gun range to practice using their firearm, so they're prepared to safely use it in an emergency situation, are "nutties"? Cool, Bob. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

initial shooter argued with store employees who ordered him to unload an extended magazine from a pistol he carried into the business.

I never understand when people argue with business owners either with state laws or even the store's own rules. It's their f-ing store. If they want you to walk around backwards, then either do it or leave. We've obviously seen it in mass the last year with people refusing to wear masks inside places that require it.

• Hook 'Em 3