The Hold Steady Thread

Al_4_ISU

Any other fans in here?  The new album "Open Door Policy" came out Friday and it fucking smokes.  I looked around and didn't see a thread.  I've been hooked on these guys since 2008, around the time Stay Positive came out.  I'd been aware of them for a few years prior, but for some idiotic reason assumed they were an emo band.  Whoops.

I've seen them a handful of times over the years (they've always slayed it live), and like every album they've ever put out.  They're the greatest bar band in the world, but they've grown into something else altogether since Craig Finn's solo career.  

Finn's voice and frequent talking/ranting are a huge turn off to a lot of people, and the reason they aren't bigger (IMO).  But I've always loved it.  And god damn does Tad Kubler have a way with massive guitar hooks.  It's always been easy for me to relate to the Midwestern, Catholic, and teenage party animal vibes that run through their lyrics so that doesn't hurt anything either.

I'll leave one selection form each album, but if you like Thin Lizzy, Springsteen, and The Replacements, you'll find something to love with these guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

Caught them at Hailey’s, a smoky, booze soaked bar in Denton, on their Boys and Girls in America tour. Fortunately learned about them like 3 days before and listened to that record 15 times that week. Top 5 concert in my life.

Can’t say I’ve listened to anything from them in the last 5 years but damn they had some seminal records in the aughts. 

• Like 1

Caught them at Hailey’s, a smoky, booze soaked bar in Denton, on their Boys and Girls in America tour. Fortunately learned about them like 3 days before and listened to that record 15 times that week. Top 5 concert in my life.

Can’t say I’ve listened to anything from them in the last 5 years but damn they had some seminal records in the aughts. 

I can’t stress this enough - listen to the new one.
  • Hook 'Em 1