Tiger Woods involved in rollover crash. suffered compound fractures in both legs

Longhorn_Fan68

painkillers are an interesting thing for me...i was on oxycodone 10 prior to and immediately after a discectomy i had last summer.  pain was awful without it.  i hated being on it so much and hated the way it made me feel every day.  but holy shit, if i would have run out, i would been in the alley out back turning tricks and shit because life was not bearable without it.  six days after the surgery, i went cold turkey off it because i couldn't stand it anymore.  huge mistake to not wean but i wanted off it so bad as soon as i could.  just didn't like it.

side note, the constipation is infuriating.  i was shitting about once every 3 or 4 days for almost a month.  awful.  and it was day five after surgery before i went for the first time.  it was then that i finally had a true appreciation for hemingway's "old man and the sea."

15 minutes ago, sidis said:

i hated being on it so much and hated the way it made me feel every day.

Which goes hand in hand with what I was saying about there being a fundamental difference between taking them as prescribed for pain and taking them to get high. You might not have liked the way it made you feel because you weren't trying to be high on oxycodone all day. For an analogy - you might enjoy a few drinks after work or even getting hammered on the weekends - that doesn't mean it's awesome to take a shot of Jager right before a 10 am conference call. You're probably going to feel like shit later in the day because alcohol gets in the way of functioning the way you want to during the day. 

23 minutes ago, sidis said:

huge mistake to not wean but i wanted off it so bad as soon as i could.

Eh. Whatever works. Nothing wrong with quitting cold turkey. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Which goes hand in hand with what I was saying about there being a fundamental difference between taking them as prescribed for pain and taking them to get high. You might not have liked the way it made you feel because you weren't trying to be high on oxycodone all day. For an analogy - you might enjoy a few drinks after work or even getting hammered on the weekends - that doesn't mean it's awesome to take a shot of Jager right before a 10 am conference call. You're probably going to feel like shit later in the day because alcohol gets in the way of functioning the way you want to during the day. 

Eh. Whatever works. Nothing wrong with quitting cold turkey. 

yeah, but i wasn't getting "high" like with getting stoned or whatever else...just getting enough marginal relief from the pain and feeling gross in the meantime.

as for going cold turkey, it sucked.  got acne for about a week, the world looked like i was looking through it under water, people would say shit to me and i would just look right through them, had the shits, couldn't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time.  surgeon a couple of days into it at a post-op appt was like "you just quit them cold after taking them for a month straight? bold. stupid, but bold.  you've already paid the price though so just stay the course."

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Man I'm glad I never dabbled in the hard drugs. Terrifying.

Dabbling is fine. Addiction to them is no worse than to booze, really. Just like I don't understand how dentistry is separate from the rest of medicine, I can't fathom how addiction to booze is somehow "lesser" than to heroin or coke or meth or downers. There are different aspects to those addictions -- some are more harmful than others to the internal organs (weirdly, heroin does nothing to your insides save addict you), others are harder to withdraw from than the rest -- but it's all pretty fucking nasty in the end. 

For example, withdrawal from opioids and opiates is agony and can last for weeks. On the other hand, you won't die. Alcohol and Xanax cold turkey withdrawal can easily kill you. 

Some people are just born more susceptible to some drugs than others. I've done my share of coke over the years but I cannot imagine ever getting addicted to it, the way I am to booze. My dad loves weed. Seriously, he has been smoking it longer than Willie Nelson and still tokes daily, but it is just not my thing. Opiates / opioids were my mom's downfall, and I've had mixed experiences with them; never did heroin, used Hydro less than as directed for post-op wisdom teeth gum pain, but codeine....sheeeit. A buddy gave me half a bottle when I was down with strep at age 19, and I drank that whole thing, and I still yearn to recapture that high. I was smart enough, or lazy enough, not to get back into it. 

Yet. Which I've always got to watch for.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sidis said:

painkillers are an interesting thing for me...i was on oxycodone 10 prior to and immediately after a discectomy i had last summer.  pain was awful without it.  i hated being on it so much and hated the way it made me feel every day.  but holy shit, if i would have run out, i would been in the alley out back turning tricks and shit because life was not bearable without it.  six days after the surgery, i went cold turkey off it because i couldn't stand it anymore.  huge mistake to not wean but i wanted off it so bad as soon as i could.  just didn't like it.

side note, the constipation is infuriating.  i was shitting about once every 3 or 4 days for almost a month.  awful.  and it was day five after surgery before i went for the first time.  it was then that i finally had a true appreciation for hemingway's "old man and the sea."

When I had my ACL reconstruction I took the pills for 2 days and felt like absolute dog shit.  Threw em in the toilet and just gutted through the blistering pain in my knee and hamstring.  I can't handle that shit.  

1 hour ago, sidis said:

yeah, but i wasn't getting "high" like with getting stoned or whatever else...just getting enough marginal relief from the pain and feeling gross in the meantime.

I understand. I'm not trying to tell you how you felt. Just saying that you (probably?) weren't doing things like taking more than prescribed, crushing and snorting them, intentionally combining it with other drugs etc.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

as for going cold turkey, it sucked.  got acne for about a week, the world looked like i was looking through it under water, people would say shit to me and i would just look right through them, had the shits, couldn't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time.  surgeon a couple of days into it at a post-op appt was like "you just quit them cold after taking them for a month straight? bold. stupid, but bold.  you've already paid the price though so just stay the course."

It's a little different because you weren't addicted and had simply developed a physical dependence. I only say quitting cold turkey isn't the worst thing because tapering off tends to not work for addicts for various reasons, and that quitting the way you did isn't really dangerous or anything. You had opiate withdrawals. They suck (as you found out).

26 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Dabbling is fine.

Ah, man. It's a bit hypocritical for me to say otherwise, and I agree that most stuff is fine to experiment with, but there are at least two rules I'd throw out there to argue against "dabbling is fine":

1. Never buy opiates/opioids. Steal a few from a medicine cabinet? Pop one of your buddy's post-surgery pills? Do some codeine syrup at a party? Sure. Have fun. But once you seek it out and pay money for it you are crossing an interesting line. 

2. Meth. Just... no. Ever. 

And God I love (loved - but I know I still would and do deep down) Xanax but man, if you have no experience with it be reeeeeaallly really careful. It can take you to some dark places. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I understand. I'm not trying to tell you how you felt. Just saying that you (probably?) weren't doing things like taking more than prescribed, crushing and snorting them, intentionally combining it with other drugs etc.

It's a little different because you weren't addicted and had simply developed a physical dependence. I only say quitting cold turkey isn't the worst thing because tapering off tends to not work for addicts for various reasons, and that quitting the way you did isn't really dangerous or anything. You had opiate withdrawals. They suck (as you found out).

Ah, man. It's a bit hypocritical for me to say otherwise, and I agree that most stuff is fine to experiment with, but there are at least two rules I'd throw out there to argue against "dabbling is fine":

1. Never buy opiates/opioids. Steal a few from a medicine cabinet? Pop one of your buddy's post-surgery pills? Do some codeine syrup at a party? Sure. Have fun. But once you seek it out and pay money for it you are crossing an interesting line. 

2. Meth. Just... no. Ever. 

And God I love (loved - but I know I still would and do deep down) Xanax but man, if you have no experience with it be reeeeeaallly really careful. It can take you to some dark places. 

Three days into me messing around with Xanax (mixing with booze): 

fallen.jpg

I had a pretty long run of kidney stone issues until I finally got it under control with diet and supplements. It was so out of control that during one episode they found 20 retained stones (9 on one side and 11 on the other). Anyway, I had it down to a science ast to what they were going to give me and when. They never believed me when I told them the Demerol would wear off within 30 minutes and they’d have to give me Stadol and Phenergan. I think those two pain killers are out of use nowadays. It’s been awhile. 

Anyway, I have no known drug allergies, but I would start speaking relatively fluent Spanish once the drugs kicked in. 

I had a pretty long run of kidney stone issues until I finally got it under control with diet and supplements. It was so out of control that during one episode they found 20 retained stones (9 on one side and 11 on the other). Anyway, I had it down to a science ast to what they were going to give me and when. They never believed me when I told them the Demerol would wear off within 30 minutes and they’d have to give me Stadol and Phenergan. I think those two pain killers are out of use nowadays. It’s been awhile. 
Anyway, I have no known drug allergies, but I would start speaking relatively fluent Spanish once the drugs kicked in. 

I had a kidney stone my senior year of HS (‘91) and was given Demerol at the urologist’s office.

I see how people get addicted to heroin. Holy fuck, that shit was damn near orgasmic.

The dilaudid i had was for extreme case of pancreatitis. it was bad.  They gave me morphine first and it did absolutely nothing. I remember the doctor saying something like some people don't respond well to natural pain killers and need synthetics. (Porbbaly was [mention=3794]ztejas[/mention] mentioned above)  Mentioned that if i ever need pain meds in this kind of situation again to mention that my body chemistry doesn't respond well to natural painkillers. 
Admittedly, if I was a doctor or nurse, and the patient said I need synthetic pain killers, I would assume it's because they're some sort of addict.

I’ve got Dilaudin in my medicine cabinet. Think it’s from my spine surgeon buddy who wrote me a script when I was having serious back spasms. Took it a couple of times and it did not agree with me.

Yep -- my daughter needed morphine when she had a horribad internal bone infection, put her in the hospital for a week.  She was in so much pain she could barely communicate....the morphine hit, and she felt great.
She explained later "I understand why they restrict the hell out of morphine....because it's freaking AWESOME."

Reading back after my post on this. That was my experience with Demerol. Just incredible.

Phenergan is actually an anti-nausea drug, but I THINK maybe it enhances the effect of traditional painkillers.

No idea where I got that idea from but I’m pretty sure than Phenergan is not primarily a pain med. Stadol isn’t really used that much though nowadays, like you said.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Phenergan is actually an anti-nausea drug, but I THINK maybe it enhances the effect of traditional painkillers.

No idea where I got that idea from but I’m pretty sure than Phenergan is not primarily a pain med. Stadol isn’t really used that much though nowadays, like you said.

You’re correct. The phenergan was there to prevent nausea. Too late. I was already puking from the pain. 

Really, I was trying to illustrate that I knew what the next steps were when the Demerol quickly wore off. I’m sure they didn’t want to go straight to stadol and didn’t trust someone telling them that they needed it. But after awhile it was pretty annoying. 

The last episode I had resulted in a very lengthy wait in triage for imaging, results and medication in an absolutely dead ER. I think they thought I was just trying to get a fix, because I’d never had to wait for pain medication before imaging in previous visits to the hospital. 

But life is bliss once that stuff hits. 

17 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Dabbling is fine. Addiction to them is no worse than to booze, really. Just like I don't understand how dentistry is separate from the rest of medicine, I can't fathom how addiction to booze is somehow "lesser" than to heroin or coke or meth or downers. There are different aspects to those addictions -- some are more harmful than others to the internal organs (weirdly, heroin does nothing to your insides save addict you), others are harder to withdraw from than the rest -- but it's all pretty fucking nasty in the end. 

For example, withdrawal from opioids and opiates is agony and can last for weeks. On the other hand, you won't die. Alcohol and Xanax cold turkey withdrawal can easily kill you. 

Some people are just born more susceptible to some drugs than others. I've done my share of coke over the years but I cannot imagine ever getting addicted to it, the way I am to booze. My dad loves weed. Seriously, he has been smoking it longer than Willie Nelson and still tokes daily, but it is just not my thing. Opiates / opioids were my mom's downfall, and I've had mixed experiences with them; never did heroin, used Hydro less than as directed for post-op wisdom teeth gum pain, but codeine....sheeeit. A buddy gave me half a bottle when I was down with strep at age 19, and I drank that whole thing, and I still yearn to recapture that high. I was smart enough, or lazy enough, not to get back into it. 

Yet. Which I've always got to watch for.

On the "codeine,"  I might guess that was terpin hydrate with codeine, an old school cough syrup.  It's about 90 proof.

21 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So my previous job was lab testing for a pharma company that made schedule 2 drugs. Mainly opioids. I forget how much hydromorphone is in dilauded, but our samples were around 5 grams per batch and 99.x% pure.  Probably close to 100g in our lab safe at any given time.    
frequent DEA visits along with cameras everywhere were a good deterrent against what they call diversion (stealing it to sell).

My understanding is that it’s really for post surgical pain only. 

Df6oYcQXcAolaSx.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/28/2021 at 11:30 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Doesn’t he have both a proximal and distal open fracture of the right lower leg?  Are you ignoring the proximal break as more easily recoverable, or have I incorrectly read the previous statements about his injuries?

I didn’t see what his exact injuries were but in general the problem with open tibia fractures is not getting the bone to heal but rather getting adequate soft tissue coverage. Generally this is a bigger problem for distal 1/3 fractures especially if local soft tissue is inadequate. 

8 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Had a friend a few years ago that had a heroin habit and I asked him one day what it felt like when he shot up.
He said it was like floating on a cloud of titties.

I knew I could never try it, because that sounded really fucking great.

image.thumb.jpeg.c7ea5c2df14de848e4dd623b168b9bcc.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Had a friend a few years ago that had a heroin habit and I asked him one day what it felt like when he shot up.
He said it was like floating on a cloud of titties.

I knew I could never try it, because that sounded really fucking great.

redd foxx GIF

I heard the surgery cost over Six Million Dollars, but they have the technology to make him better, stronger, faster than he was before.

Spoiler

He may disappear between majors from time to time.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2021 at 8:22 AM, TwiceHorn said:

On the "codeine,"  I might guess that was terpin hydrate with codeine, an old school cough syrup.  It's about 90 proof.

This was 1989. It was real-deal shit. I remember looking at my pupils and they looked like this:  .. They were that small. I itched all over and then was in a dream state for four-six hours. I was listening to De La Soul's Three Feet High and Rising on a loop but missed my chance to become the white DJ Screw of nerd rap. 

• Like 1

I had a codeine incident in boot camp. They yanked all 4 wisdom teeth and gave me the mother of all scripts. Next day I'm floating through final exams giving bullshit answers to simple questions like how to stop the bleeding and get kicked out of class. Finally thought about showing my huge bottle of pills to the guy about to throw me out. It was the last time I saw that bottle, but I did graduate.

I heard the surgery cost over Six Million Dollars, but they have the technology to make him better, stronger, faster than he was before.
Spoiler

He may disappear between majors from time to time.

Go ahead and take the rest of the day off. You aren't gonna make a post better than this .

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 8:31 AM, williemackgarza said:

So when TMZ gonna post the leaked report?

"Today!" [/Neal Diamond]

TIGER WOODS DRIVING 83 MPH IN A 45 AT TIME OF CRASH ... Speed Was Sole Cause

Hmmm:

...There's more ... law enforcement sources tell us, the Sheriff's Dept. did not get a warrant to check Tiger's cell phone to determine if he was on a call or texting at the time of the crash. Our sources say the Dept. felt it did not have probable cause to get a warrant for cell phone records, although that is often done in accident investigations...

...As we previously reported, the Sheriff had said there was no evidence Tiger was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, although authorities never tried to get a warrant to draw blood. They say they did not have the necessary probable cause....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJIupEFDcemgqjI2RsBL-

Edited by clapclapclap
Take my license, all that jive, I. Can't. Drive. 45!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

"Today!" [/Neal Diamond]

TIGER WOODS DRIVING 83 MPH IN A 45 AT TIME OF CRASH ... Speed Was Sole Cause

Hmmm:

...There's more ... law enforcement sources tell us, the Sheriff's Dept. did not get a warrant to check Tiger's cell phone to determine if he was on a call or texting at the time of the crash. Our sources say the Dept. felt it did not have probable cause to get a warrant for cell phone records, although that is often done in accident investigations...

...As we previously reported, the Sheriff had said there was no evidence Tiger was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, although authorities never tried to get a warrant to draw blood. They say they did not have the necessary probable cause....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJIupEFDcemgqjI2RsBL-

fsprob_nothingtosee.gif?resize=450,300&s bagdad-bob.jpg

Read thru the interview, and I can attest from personal (not necessarily mine) experience that 2/3 of what the Sheriff's office is saying is total bullshit.  People are cited all the f-ing time in collisions/accidents, being "at fault" with speeding contributing, based on collision evidence, without witnesses.  Geezus, happens all the time.

Except in Unicorn La-La-Tigervile, California.