Tiger Woods involved in rollover crash. suffered compound fractures in both legs

Longhorn_Fan68

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Hopefully for Hyundai Corp this was driver error and not equipment failure. If Tiger hit the brakes and there was No Reply At All, Hyundai knows that they are In Too Deep here. It will be hard for them to Turn It On Again as far as public perception of vehicle safety is concerned. Now if Tiger was driving in an unsafe manner, playing Follow You Follow Me with another driver? Probably The Last Domino for him... Throwing It All Away like that is just a shame, That's All.

Smart play keeping I Can’t Dance in your pocket for post recovery. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Rumor yesterday was that guys at the club said he was late for his taping and guys at the hotel said he was burning outta there to get to the club.

Anyone hear anything more that that, or are we just assuming now that he was ripping (as opposed to being oxy'd)?

He was meeting Drew Brees and Justin Herbert at Rolling Hills for a photo shoot. 

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest it was either a rental or a promo vehicle.

Of course but was just saying the one they gave him almost certainly was pushing 400 hp and if he was dozing with a heavy foot he could have hit speed pretty quickly then flew off the road

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Of course but was just saying the one they gave him almost certainly was pushing 400 hp and if he was dozing with a heavy foot he could have hit speed pretty quickly then flew off the road

Don't all the higher end Hyundai models have driver assist, and a semi-autonomous mode? I got one as a rental in Denver a while back, and you couldn't change lanes without it squawking at you, or get too close to the car in front of you without it automatically applying the brakes. I guess there's ways to turn it off, but I guess I never made the effort to try. 

3 hours ago, woohorn said:

Rumor yesterday was that guys at the club said he was late for his taping and guys at the hotel said he was burning outta there to get to the club.

Anyone hear anything more that that, or are we just assuming now that he was ripping (as opposed to being oxy'd)?

Some radio show was talking about that today.  Said he was all reckless in the parking lot, almost hit a movie director's car, who then reported him (before the accident happened.)  Put all the witness anecdotes together and he sounded like a total jerk behind the wheel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woohorn said:

Dude's worth $900M and he's worried about being late. What is even the point of "fuck you money" if you are going to worry about being late?

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah I guess that's why they have F you money and I'm posting on a sports message board for a university I didn't attend during my 9-5.

Not really. Most of them were either extremely lucky or born with extremely rare talent. The drive to keep accumulating money beyond "fuck you" money is psychotic. I understand being driven to better the world but being driven just to accumulate money even your grandkids would never be able to spend is just, well, kind of sick.

Oh well. I've got no fucks left to give for those people. If you want to be a star of stage and screen, look out, it's rough and mean. The psychopath out front should have told ya'. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Dude's worth $900M and he's worried about being late. What is even the point of "fuck you money" if you are going to worry about being late?

I had the same conversation with my dad this evening. Not sure why Tiger was running late but they would've waited for him.

Well, the whole thing really sucks.  I liked golf so much better when he was playing and healthy.  I was always really happy when he won just because it just kept building towards 19 and how huge would that be for him to be tied with Jack during the final round of major like The Masters, The Open at St. Andrews, US OP en at Pinehurst , or PGA at Baltusrol?  I feel robbed as a golf fan since the injuries started mounting up.  At this point, I think he is going to be done.  I'm not sure that he will ever be able to play as well as he wants to as far as being able to compete for majors.  I never cared about the off the course stuff with the cheating.  I was a little surprised by it at the time just because Elin was so goddamned hot. Why mess around on that?  At any rate, I hope he has a full recovery and goes on to have a long happy life raising his kids and banging waitresses.  Maybe we'll get to see the next Tiger within our lifetimes. 

Well, the whole thing really sucks.  I liked golf so much better when he was playing and healthy.  I was always really happy when he won just because it just kept building towards 19 and how huge would that be for him to be tied with Jack during the final round of major like The Masters, The Open at St. Andrews, US OP en at Pinehurst , or PGA at Baltusrol?  I feel robbed as a golf fan since the injuries started mounting up.  At this point, I think he is going to be done.  I'm not sure that he will ever be able to play as well as he wants to as far as being able to compete for majors.  I never cared about the off the course stuff with the cheating.  I was a little surprised by it at the time just because Elin was so goddamned hot. Why mess around on that?  At any rate, I hope he has a full recovery and goes on to have a long happy life raising his kids and banging waitresses.  Maybe we'll get to see the next Tiger within our lifetimes. 

Agreed. Now y’all who’re without sin can cast the first stone but he’s flesh and blood just like the rest of us. I enjoy watching all sport but Tiger at his peak is the best of all time for me.

4 hours ago, Restinmybones said:

Not really. Most of them were either extremely lucky or born with extremely rare talent. The drive to keep accumulating money beyond "fuck you" money is psychotic. I understand being driven to better the world but being driven just to accumulate money even your grandkids would never be able to spend is just, well, kind of sick.

Oh well. I've got no fucks left to give for those people. If you want to be a star of stage and screen, look out, it's rough and mean. The psychopath out front should have told ya'. 

I don’t understand it either, but I watched people spend $50k a weekend on transportation alone 4 times a month to spend 36 hours in (Not NY). 

Imagine dropping $1M+ and well higher than that just to get to your weekend getaway. And yet they can’t let go of the chase. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I don’t understand it either, but I watched people spend $50k a weekend on transportation alone 4 times a month to spend 36 hours in (Not NY). 

Imagine dropping $1M+ and well higher than that just to get to your weekend getaway. And yet they can’t let go of the chase. 

You’re a pilot, correct?

18 hours ago, Homercles said:

Was he not wearing his seat belt or did the engine just end up in his lap?  All the pics of the left side that I’ve seen have no damage past the A Pillar, so wondering how his legs got so chewed up

From Geoff Shackleford's roundup: https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2021/2/24/d

Gina Kolata of the New York Times talks to doctors about Woods injuries that are consistent with car accident victims hitting the brakes.

and

The primary perspective from Dr. R. Malcolm Smith, the chief of orthopedic trauma at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, Mass.

When the front end of the car is smashed, immense force is transmitted to the driver’s right leg and foot. “This happens every day with car crashes in this country,” Dr. Smith said.

Such lower-leg fractures on occasion bring “massive disability” and other grave consequences, said Dr. Smith. “A very rough estimate is that there is a 70 percent chance of it healing completely,” he added.

14 hours ago, freyguy said:

900 mill, he can get himself a driver... 

He likes driving maybe? I don't know. It doesn't sound like he was drunk or pilled-up. That's what blows my mind when Lindsay Lohan kept getting popped for DWI. That's when you need a driver.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:10 AM, naija said:

That's not a mangled extremity. As a matter of definition, mangled extremity requires injury to at least 3 out of the 4 following things; bone, soft tissue, nerves and vessels. Isolated fractures of the fibula are often non-operative (depending on occupation). Fractures in multiple places of the tibia are more severe but again not uncommon. The foot and ankle fractures are probably the most pressing with regards to him playing again. Long bones heal fine most times, even segmental injuries. When you start involving joints, all bets are off. They did a fasciotomy, whether prophylactic or therapeutic unclear, though the statement makes it sound like the latter. 

If the fractures were open, those are mangled extremities. If they were open fractures that also required fasciotomy that is high energy trauma and you have to worry about soft tissue viability / coverage in the tibia especially distal third.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If the fractures were open, those are mangled extremities. If they were open fractures that also required fasciotomy that is high energy trauma and you have to worry about soft tissue viability / coverage in the tibia especially distal third.

An open fracture, even if comminuted does not automatically equal a mangled extremity though without further information. For research purposes and for validity across studies, the definition above is what is used and accepted. Both Western and Eastern Trauma Associations use that; it is what was used in the LEAP and MESS studies, it's the definition also used by the ACS Committee on Trauma. 

Likewise, would you say Gustilo Grade II is a mangled extremity? If its 3 1cm puncture wounds? It's a letter of the law type of argument I'm making to be sure, but present at any of those meetings and the emphasis is on that definition. Now, I've definitely seen injuries with just bony and soft tissue compromise that would meet the eye test for "mangled extremity" but still shouldn't be classified as such if staying within the guidelines above. Just saying, nothing above said he had a vascular or nerve injury. Entirely possible he did and that was kept out of the communication. A 10 hour procedure certainly raises the eyebrow that it wasn't just Ortho in there.

He is somewhere between Gustilo IIIa-c most likely (speculation among PRS and Ortho here is that the injury falls is closer to IIIC). If it its something of that sort, he will be going back to the OR soon. Wonder if they can keep that under wraps in these times.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, naija said:

An open fracture, even if comminuted does not automatically equal a mangled extremity though without further information. For research purposes and for validity across studies, the definition above is what is used and accepted. Both Western and Eastern Trauma Associations use that; it is what was used in the LEAP and MESS studies, it's the definition also used by the ACS Committee on Trauma. 

Likewise, would you say Gustilo Grade II is a mangled extremity? If its 3 1cm puncture wounds? It's a letter of the law type of argument I'm making to be sure, but present at any of those meetings and the emphasis is on that definition. Now, I've definitely seen injuries with just bony and soft tissue compromise that would meet the eye test for "mangled extremity" but still shouldn't be classified as such if staying within the guidelines above. Just saying, nothing above said he had a vascular or nerve injury. Entirely possible he did and that was kept out of the communication. A 10 hour procedure certainly raises the eyebrow that it wasn't just Ortho in there.

He is somewhere between Gustilo IIIa-c most likely (speculation among PRS and Ortho here is that the injury falls is closer to IIIC). If it its something of that sort, he will be going back to the OR soon. Wonder if they can keep that under wraps in these times.

I should have clarified if he has  comminuted tibia fractures that are open and required fasciotomy, given the frontal impact his vehicle sustained he likely has mangled extremity (ies). I would bet his MESS was at least 5 without even knowing his hemodynamic status in the field

of course without examining you can’t say, but tibial fracture from MVAs with that kind of axial load are very high energy and I would expect there to be significant soft tissue injury. I just saw he was in surgery for 10 hours which could mean vascular injury requiring repair, so I would think 3C is definitely possible if not likely. IM rods are quick, and periarticular fracture extending into shaft would likely get external fixation to let soft tissue envelope recover. Even definitive ORIF of multiple fractures wouldn’t take that long. I really feel for him 

tldr distal 1/3 open tibia fractures, which are likely here given mechanism of injury, are bad news

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1