Songs that sound like nothing else

jimmyjazz

16 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I didn't know what I was hearing when I first heard this, but it was a completely new sound.  

That drags me back to mid-80s clubs in Austin with all the "New Sincerity" bands.  Everyone was copying REM as best they could, with a little Husker Du and 'mats thrown in for the more aggressive boys.

Can’t forget Harry Partch. He certainly fits this thread. The documentaries about his music might be more interesting than his music. He made his own instruments dividing the octave into 43 unequally tempered notes and acted as his own publishing company, mailing out records to fans. It’s hard listening, like the music the lizard people might make, but it’s worth a little time.

2 hours ago, sidis said:

two songs on one album completely changed shit for the next decade.  security by peter gabriel...san jacinto and rhythm of the heat.

building on this...i would say genesis when pete was part of the band and a major driver of the artistic direction was pretty original. 

jacobo peri's dafne and euridice obviously set the stage for the following three centuries of opera.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, smuggs said:

This one blew my mind up as a 12 year old. I mean I was well aware of hip hop then but the subject matter was eye-opening for me, and I had never heard anything like it. And it was fucking awesome.

Something interesting I learned a few years ago is that Chuck D created the logo himself and that he has a degree in graphic design.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rip76 said:

This or "Been Caught Stealing."

I'm a huge Jane's fan, but I'm not sure two songs from their 3rd album could be considered ground breaking. As a band, they kind of put a hair band spin on RHCP punk/funk, and I've always thought Perry seemed like a mash-up of Iggy Pop and Stephen Tyler. 

3 hours ago, Rip76 said:

This or "Been Caught Stealing."

I think it would have to be "Chip Away", or maybe "Ted, Just Admit It...".

59 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm a huge Jane's fan, but I'm not sure two songs from their 3rd album could be considered ground breaking. As a band, they kind of put a hair band spin on RHCP punk/funk, and I've always thought Perry seemed like a mash-up of Iggy Pop and Stephen Tyler. 

They weren't hair band spin at all.  In the late 80s and early 90s it was RHCP who were the hair band next to Jane's art rock.  Jane's was known as the more artistically honest band, and the Peppers were the guys in it just for the fun.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding "25 or 6 to 4":  George Harrison ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps") and Led Zeppelin ("Babe I'm Gonna Leave You") have a thing or two to say about that.  But, it's a riff, not a sound, so judge's ruling is "acceptable".

I get the controversy about the 25 or 6 to 4 riff.  More importantly, listen closely to Terry Kath on that original recording.  He starts it off with some jazz/rock strumming then does other-worldly solos throughout the rest of the song.  He absolutely drives that song. 

Bohemian Rhapsody?

With regards to the Beatles, their early stuff was derivative schlock (fun and sugary, but nothing special).  Once they got big they had the power to break the record industry's chains and experimented a lot on Sgt. Peppers, The White Album, etc.  Those albums had some really wild shit that didn't get play on the radio.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d posit the following:

Ann Peebles - I Can’t Stand the Rain 

-I think this one is a bit debatable, but I still maintain that it stands out.

Missy Elliot - (piggy backing on the above) The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly) and Gossip Folks

-The stuff she was putting out in that era really didn’t sound like anything else, despite that broader type of music getting really popular.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Goredho said:

And a final one that came to mind with the original post

This was next on my list.  I read a Ken Tucker review in Rolling Stone in early 1979  and drove 30 miles to the closest place I could buy it.   The review said something about "it sounds like they are aware this music is completely different than everything else, and they don't care."  That caught my eye.  He also sort of predicted the album/band was headed to obscurity and that wasn't fair.   All through the next summer, it rarely came out of the tape player in my pickup.    Friends would get in and say, WTF is this?  

And Bohemian Rhapsody?  I saw first saw that on Midnight Special and had no idea what I was hearing, but I loved it.  I used to record the show from my TV to a portable cassette recorder and listen to it.  I wore that episode out.  

Edited by hullabelew

10 hours ago, Hate said:

If we are posting classical then I would go with Haydn and the "Surprise Symphony".

csb/ This is at the Hagia Irene in Istanbul.  It was the church of churches in eastern Christendom before the Hagia Sofia was constructed.  I was there in November and it wasn't nearly this neat or clean.  It is essentially an empty shell, there's a big net hung from the mezzanine to keep the birds from getting in the higher reaches, but it doesn't work.  I'd love to see a show there sometime though.  What a venue.  

• Like 1

As big a fan as I am of that band and song, I'm not sure it fits.  I guess it does in some sense, but the nod to The Pixies is clear (and Cobain admitted it).
To me, the chord progression always echoed "Godzilla" by (irony) Blue Oyster Cult.  Some people say Boston's "More Than A Feeling", but I think that's a copout.  It's just not the same thing.

Everything is influenced by something, and everyone is different so I’m not trying to argue.

But I remember sitting on the patio at the Taco Stand in Athens, GA when I first heard that song and saying to my friends, “Are you hearing this?”

They put the loud-quiet-loud thing on the map and it endured for decades. There hasn’t been a sea change like that in rock since.

On 2/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Post some songs that sound like nothing else that came before, or alternatively, post evidence that a previous example is wrong.

Pretty sure a death metal song featuring a grey parrot on vocals is something that sounds like nothing else that came before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatebeak

• Hook 'Em 2