Songs that sound like nothing else

jimmyjazz

Heard them on KPFT back in early 80s and special shout out to them for forming Ralph Records. 

Oh wow forgot about them. Saw them at The Arcadia in Dallas on Valentines Day ‘86. Crazy show. Looks like they are playing The Kessler next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Brubeck wasn't the first Jazz musician to have a little fun with time signatures but his Time Out album was significant in the extent to which they moved around.  Most people are familiar with Take Five, but the song from that album that has always stood out to me Is this one.  I don't think anyone in jazz had ever recorded a song in 9/8 (love to know if so).  I love the section where they alternate 9/8 and 4/4.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 4:53 PM, TexasHooch said:

I mean, Bjork has to be on the short list right?  I still remember where I was when I heard this for the first time.  Turns out she had already been doing similar things with the Sugarcubes, but they didn't hit my radar until much later.

Pretty sure I saw Bjork open for U2 in 90...maybe....? 

f

Edited by NTVTXN
It’s was ‘92.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:44 AM, TexPx said:

I was somewhat familiar with AfroPop from King Sunny Ada and Fela Kuti when this came out, but what the TH did with it blew me away.

Was going to post this.

Because Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, and Chuck Berry.
I'd listen to the argument that, while heavily influenced, the Beatles and Stones had their own sound.  But Elvis? He was just a good looking white kid doing his best to perform like Berry and sound like Roy Hamilton.

Wynonie Harris would like a word with you.

“He didn’t use the phrase for a song title until a year later, but Astral Weeks was the album on which Van Morrison fully descended “into the mystic.” Morrison’s first full-fledged solo album sounded like nothing else in the pop-music world of 1968: soft, reflective, hypnotic, haunted by the ghosts of old blues singers and ancient Celts and performed by a group of extraordinary jazz musicians, it sounds like the work of a singer and songwriter who is, as Morrison sings in the title track, “nothing but a stranger in this world.”

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Although they gained more notoriety for the collaboration with Aerosmith with Walk this Way, RUN-DMC's Rock Box was the first time they (or anyone) used layers of electric guitar solos to compliment a rap song.

Ahem ... you posted the correct answer right above this post.  Rapture came out in 1980 with guitar solo @ 3:54-4:22 if you're watching the video.  Rock Box came out in 1984.

13 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Ahem ... you posted the correct answer right above this post.  Rapture came out in 1980 with guitar solo @ 3:54-4:22 if you're watching the video.  Rock Box came out in 1984.

Rapture was the first mainstream pop/punk song that used rap.  Rock Box was the first rap song that used rock guitar.  Both unique in their own right.

Your comment about rapping over a funk song and Red Hot Chili Peppers is what made me think of Rapture - which I don't view as a rap song.

Edited by Jerry Callo