First migrant facility for children opens under Biden

fakebusiness

i think you’ll find that more than a few dems will hold the biden administration to a higher standard. i know that concept is foreign to trumpers, but i can explain more when sobriety kicks in. 

seeing the right try to take victory laps or dunk on the left on twitter is fun though, and kinda sad. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I'd have to be able to read the article to opine on it. Tried to, got a glimpse mentioning unaccompanied migrant children before a subscription window blocked it. I'm guessing these are simply more substantial structures than the hastily constructed cages unaccompanied migrant children were held in during the Obama administration when the other alternative, until a verified appropriate guardian could be located, was simply dumping unaccompanied kids on the streets of Laredo, which of course, was different from the admittedly punitive Trump policy of family separation.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think you’ll find that more than a few dems will hold the biden administration to a higher standard. i know that concept is foreign to trumpers, but i can explain more when sobriety kicks in. 

seeing the right try to take victory laps or dunk on the left on twitter is fun though, and kinda sad. 

It's more than annoying seeing cons concern troll that they gaf about kids in cages but you can't let that deter you from the problem at hand. They're going to be doing that for the next 4 years. 

• Fuck You 7

5 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I'd have to be able to read the article to opine on it. Tried to, got a glimpse mentioning unaccompanied migrant children before a subscription window blocked it. I'm guessing these are simply more substantial structures than the hastily constructed cages unaccompanied migrant children were held in during the Obama administration when the other alternative, until a verified appropriate guardian could be located, was simply dumping unaccompanied kids on the streets of Laredo, which of course, was different from the admittedly punitive Trump policy of family separation.

They’re the same housing as oilfield workers get in the field. Not cages. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yeah, there aren't great choices for unaccompanied minors. Comfortable accommodations without restrictions on socialization are about as good as we can do. The goal should be to find their parents or guardians if they are present in the USA which was the exact opposite of what Trump was doing. Intentionally separating families is pure cruelty. 

So one could argue that these accommodations are adequate even if they aren't the Ritz Carlton. The only real alternative would be introducing them to our clusterfuck of a foster system, but I feel like that solution would be worse. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I got to read the article.

First, it is opened for reduced population density of existing "detainees," in response to COVID.

Second, it appears to be for unaccompanied minors 13-17, rather than children separated from parents.

Finally, the Trump administration detained a lot of children.  While we can reverse that policy, that doesn't mean the children are automagically set free.  Alternatives to detention seem to be let them go in the US or let them go in Mexico, neither of which is particularly appealing.

• Hook 'Em 7

Biden administration is housing unaccompanied minors

vs 

Trump doing that (but in cages) PLUS taking minors from their parents at the border and separating them into adult and minor camps.  Sending the parents back and keeping the kids.

And Q thinks Trump is the savior of child trafficking

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I got to read the article.

First, it is opened for reduced population density of existing "detainees," in response to COVID.

Second, it appears to be for unaccompanied minors 13-17, rather than children separated from parents.

Finally, the Trump administration detained a lot of children.  While we can reverse that policy, that doesn't mean the children are automagically set free.  Alternatives to detention seem to be let them go in the US or let them go in Mexico, neither of which is particularly appealing.

Like the article said, you release them and they likely end up exploited as illegal labor.  Which I'm sure Bob Perry (RIP)'s proteges aren't opposed to. 

So why again are we supposed to be outraged by this?  Were rooms at the Ritz Carlton on the border not available?  My only outrage is that AOC would comment negatively on this article as it seems we are doing what any humane government would do with unaccompanied minors showing up at our doorstep.  If she has a better idea I would love to hear it but this seems a little bit better than what others have stated in this thread (cages and separating small children form their parents).  

• Hook 'Em 3

From the link:

The emergency facility — a vestige of the Trump administration that was open for only a month in summer 2019 — is being reactivated to hold up to 700 children ages 13 to 17.

Government officials say the camp is needed because facilities for migrant children have had to cut capacity by nearly half because of the coronavirus pandemic. At the same time, the number of unaccompanied children crossing the border has been inching up, with January reporting the highest total — more than 5,700 apprehensions — for that month in recent years.

But immigration lawyers and advocates question why the Biden administration would choose to reopen a Trump-era facility that was the source of protests and controversy. From the “tent city” in Tornillo, Tex., to a sprawling for-profit facility in Homestead, Fla., emergency shelters have been criticized by advocates for immigrants, lawyers and human rights activists over their conditions, cost and lack of transparency in their operations.

It's bad optics, but the Biden administration didn't let that stop them from doing the right thing. 

Or do we want to expose teenagers and unaccompanied children to Covid?

Congrats to the OP for focusing on the optics and ignoring the substance. 

Oh yea, negged for intentionally slanting the story by not posting a balanced quote such as the above.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is an opportunity to come up with humane policy about unaccompanied minors. This is an opportunity to make the adult people who came here in desperation for a better life become productive members of our society, whether they are here temporarily or not. I don't know what all that entails but it is past time we come up with good policy. Migration due to climate change is inevitable and already happening. We need to fucking come up with realistic good policy for the betterment of ourselves. Obstructing and ignoring it isn't working. We are so stupid as a nation, it hurts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So why again are we supposed to be outraged by this?  Were rooms at the Ritz Carlton on the border not available?  My only outrage is that AOC would comment negatively on this article as it seems we are doing what any humane government would do with unaccompanied minors showing up at our doorstep.  If she has a better idea I would love to hear it but this seems a little bit better than what others have stated in this thread (cages and separating small children form their parents).  

Yeah this. It's an emergency solution. Criticism without identifying a better alternative is worthless. 

The one sentence explanation for the whataboutism the right is trying to pull here is: The Biden administration is doing this as a necessary humanitarian cause, while the dotard admin was doing it as a cruel punishment with the express reason of deterring people, not helping them.

Also, it's not the same fucking thing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Now tell us about weaponizing the separation of children from parents as a means of deterrent, which is always been the real issue. Fuck off you disingenuous piece of shit. 

At the end of the day you don't care about any of this. Like AOC I believe this is wrong under any admib. YOU don't. Because you're a disingenuous clown.

This is wrong:

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/aclu-calls-new-trump-administration-family-separation-numbers-shocking

This is also wrong:

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/aclu-sues-obama-administration-detaining-asylum-seekers-intimidation-tactic

• Fuck You 11

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The one sentence explanation for the whataboutism the right is trying to pull here is: The Biden administration is doing this as a necessary humanitarian cause, while the dotard admin was doing it as a cruel punishment with the express reason of deterring people, not helping them.

Also, it's not the same fucking thing.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1364341956676096001?s=19

So what is she trying to fix exactly? 

Edited by fakebusiness
  • Fuck You 8

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Because your not on the correct side to make posts here, much less start threads. 

No, it'll get him banned because he is being disingenuous. The Trump era policy had to do with forcibly removing children from their families and then sending families home with no way to ever reunite with their children. This policy has to do with housing unaccompanied minors that come to the US while their immigration status is determined, and housing them in a way that protects them from covid. It'll get you banned too if you refuse to acknowledge the difference.  

Yeah and this doesn’t have shit to do with Trump.  20 fucking negs for posting an article that isn’t the best look is fucking stupid.  Glad we get to hear “but but but Trump” for the next 50 years everytime the new admin doesn’t get it right.  Good on AOC by the way for calling it like she’s sees it. We need a lot more of that in this world. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Get fucked, you piece of slime. I fucking care about it. It's unfortunate that hundreds and thousands of people, some of them are kids, make a treacherous journey to the united states for a better life, and we can't let them all in for sundry reasons. I think the best option is to do the best you fucking can, try to solve the problems, and keep everyone as reasonably safe as possible while you sort it out. It's always going to be messy. Not to actively use it as a political tool to deter people from immigrating to the United States, which only one administration actively did. Is it good? No. Is one actively not trying to be fucking evil about it? Yes.

You are fucking trash. Time to crowdsource your fucking ass again.

The ACLU sued the Obama & Trump administration for doing it. This is just the tip of the iceberg of shit you're gonna let slide because you're a neoliberal stooge.

Cool. Crowdsource me then go back to your circlejerk where you defend evil but consider yourself the good guy. Seriously pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, fakebusiness said:

The ACLU sued the Obama & Trump administration for doing it. This is just the tip of the iceberg of shit you're gonna let slide because you're a neoliberal stooge.

Cool. Crowdsource me then go back to your circlejerk where you defend evil but consider yourself the good guy. Seriously pathetic.

I am a good guy. And you're just a fucking troll. Or an idiot, likely both. And yeah, I'm gonna crowd source you single handedly if I have to, fuckface. I don't need to wait for Hayden or Immamac to see this your shit and drop the hammer. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No, it'll get him banned because he is being disingenuous. The Trump era policy had to do with forcibly removing children from their families and then sending families home with no way to ever reunite with their children. This policy has to do with housing unaccompanied minors that come to the US while their immigration status is determined, and housing them in a way that protects them from covid. It'll get you banned too if you refuse to acknowledge the difference.  

Jesus Christ. Trump's policy was worse. Trump was worse. No one is saying it is exactly the same. Making an atrocity under Trump slightly better is the precedent we're going to set? That's enough?

Edited by fakebusiness
  • Fuck You 6

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah and this doesn’t have shit to do with Trump.  20 fucking negs for posting an article that isn’t the best look is fucking stupid.  Glad we get to hear “but but but Trump” for the next 50 years everytime the new admin doesn’t get it right.  Good on AOC by the way for calling it like she’s sees it. We need a lot more of that in this world. 

He didn't post an article. He posted a pay wall link with no context about what it said. Again, what exactly do you think the criticism is here? What are we supposed to do with unaccompanied children that appear at the border? Frankly, I doubt AOC looked at it very hard before responding.  You know exactly what fakebusiness was doing (and is continuing to do), making a false equivalence.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fakebusiness said:

Jesus Christ. Trump's policy was worse. Trump was worse. No one is saying it is exactly the same. Making an atrocity under Trump slightly better is the precedent we're going to set? That's enough?

What is the atrocity here? What are we supposed to do with unaccompanied minors that appear at the border? 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

He didn't post an article. He posted a pay wall link with no context about what it said.

Well yeah he did fuck that part up. 

I expect people on the R to post and discuss when the Biden group doesn’t get it right (not necessarily this instance) and I expect the L to say “but Trump”.   That’s all I can see for an extended amount of time. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Well yeah he did fuck that part up. 

I expect people on the R to post and discuss when the Biden group doesn’t get it right (not necessarily this instance) and I expect the L to say “but Trump”.   That’s all I can see for an extended amount of time. 

Again, what do you think the criticism is here? Do you think this is a bad policy? If so, why? These are things I'd like explained. 

Further, what do you think the intention of the thread was? Do you actually think @fakebusiness was looking for honest discussion? Have you read any of his other posts? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Because your not on the correct side to make posts here, much less start threads. 

Or maybe you're just snowflakes who hang with other snowflakes assuming their POVs are unassailably correct until they're exposed to the sunlight of analysis beyond a headline quote. 

As you melt in the heat, you decry the sun as a bully picking on you. 

You should likely stick with the Limbaugh Intellectual Coward Strategy and never expose your bloviations to opposing views. You come unglued just like that malefactor did.

Go lick your wounds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2