BYU @ Texas - Wed - Saturday Series Thread

zlavydra

42 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Nope. Horrible execution by Kennedy.

Yep. No reason to be bunting for a hit.

Job is to MOVE the runner over. Been watching him for 2 1/2 yrs now, and I've seen him do some dumb things at the plate, but mostly in the field, either missing throws or always trying to take out Duke Ellis by running into him. Guy has talent, but I don't think his baseball IQ is very high.

17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I realize that lefties were due, but bases loaded one out is a good time to bring in your best bullpen arm.  The one you brought in anyway a few hitters later. 

Good call Pato !   Pierce agrees.

After the game, Pierce blamed himself for the bullpen's implosion. Pierce said that instead of playing the matchups, he should have immediately gone to Witt.

"We've got to make a better choice right there," Pierce said. "It's probably my fault for putting them in that situation."

A week ago against Arkansas, Stevens was again solid before running into trouble in the sixth inning. Ahead of this season, none of Stevens' 33 appearances at Texas had lasted more than 2.1 innings. 

"I don't think it's a concern yet, I truly don't," Pierce said of his starter's sixth-inning shortcomings. "Again, we get to know that maybe his tops is 85, 90 pitches and he can still eat up a lot of innings because he's such a good strike thrower. That's information as well."

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/02/27/baseball-bullpen-decisions-cost-texas-series-finale-against-byu/6854832002/

Witt has nothing else to prove.   Hope he is not overused.    Also, no need to DH, too valuable as a pitcher.   Seems to be the ideal closer.   Besides outstanding "stuff",  has that J Brent Cox/Huston Street attitude.   Wenzel can handle mid relief.