BYU @ Texas - Wed - Saturday Series Thread

zlavydra

3 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Nothing like eking out a win against BYU.  Its possible that this team is behind because of weather and its also possible this team can't hit. I don't think any BYU pitcher broke 90mph.  Remember when our 5 starters all broke 90mph?

Velocity is a distant third to location and changing speeds.

3 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Nothing like eking out a win against BYU.  Its possible that this team is behind because of weather and its also possible this team can't hit. I don't think any BYU pitcher broke 90mph.  Remember when our 5 starters all broke 90mph?

It will be no surprise if they struggle to hit all year.  their approach at the plate is bad.  they let good pitches go way too much and are late to the ball when they do swing.  Its been an ongoing problem.  at this point it has to be a coaching issue.

hopefully something happens to change the theme.

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Well that's pretty chickenshit.  He already moved the power alleys way in.  Drew Stubbs would tell them to hit it higher.  They also need to invest in some yellow paint if they're going to do that.

Ok. was at the game and was wondering why that was ruled a home run.

Geez, Pierce. Maybe get some guys that can hit and you wont have to change everything about the Disch that makes it special. (Next will be just hitting to the warning track and that will be a home run also)

Watching the teams in the 70's and 80's, both Texas and visiting teams used to pound the ball out past left into what was a hill with a parking lot out there (that's where the tradition started with the Uhauls and trucks with people watching from out there). Kevin McReynolds (Arky, later Mets) would hit the ball so hard it would leave dents in the wall if he didn't clear. One of the few guys to hit it over center field twice and one was a shot that looked like a launch to the moon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Holy shit, Jersey Mike. That seemed obviously fair, but now there won’t be an angle to overturn

Yes. That was a terrible call. Not sure what replay they may have shown on terrible LHN but it seems that it cleared easily fair.

I was sitting on the third base side, even with the plate and one chair to the left ( field side ) of being right in line with first base foul line. That ball was crushed and cleared the fence easily before hooking and landing foul out past Comal St. First base umpire (that made the call) turned late and just seemed to watch where it landed. Total BS. The home plate umpire ( and crew chief) never even got a good look either as he was the one that called for review. Terrible call.

41 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Ok. was at the game and was wondering why that was ruled a home run.

Geez, Pierce. Maybe get some guys that can hit and you wont have to change everything about the Disch that makes it special. (Next will be just hitting to the warning track and that will be a home run also)

Watching the teams in the 70's and 80's, both Texas and visiting teams used to pound the ball out past left into what was a hill with a parking lot out there (that's where the tradition started with the Uhauls and trucks with people watching from out there). Kevin McReynolds (Arky, later Mets) would hit the ball so hard it would leave dents in the wall if he didn't clear. One of the few guys to hit it over center field twice and one was a shot that looked like a launch to the moon. 

I agree, I miss the old Disch with the Astro turf and everything. But the word was out amongst power hitters. Shit our players that are in minor league systems and the pros over the last 20 years notoriously don’t take BP at the Disch due to it’s how fucking big it is. I didn’t mind moving the fences in a bit at all due to the that exact reason  

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I know Huston coached his kids in little league last year. Maybe we can give him a call....oh wait. 

Did Huston opt out as a volunteer asst this year due to Covid  ?    Not listed on roster.   I may have missed the news.

Saw Tulo talking to Kennedy before an AB last night.    Bio says he works with hitters and infielders.

43 minutes ago, torre said:

Did Huston opt out as a volunteer asst this year due to Covid  ?    Not listed on roster.   I may have missed the news.

Saw Tulo talking to Kennedy before an AB last night.    Bio says he works with hitters and infielders.

I'm a little skeptical about bringing in big leaguers and just assuming that they can teach their skills.  

I might make an exception for Huston, because so much of his talent was deception, and that's the product of "malice aforethought."  I'm not sure other talented players can communicate their skills.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm a little skeptical about bringing in big leaguers and just assuming that they can teach their skills.  

I might make an exception for Huston, because so much of his talent was deception, and that's the product of "malice aforethought."  I'm not sure other talented players can communicate their skills.

Yeah I in general agree, but word has it Tulo wants to move up the coaching latter. Having Huston around is a luxury. He was there when we were on top of the college baseball world. He knows what it takes. He knows how to mesh team chemistry while learning how to win. And with his time in the majors, I’m sure he’s picked up on what it takes to be a good pitching coach.