Work from some place cool for a week. Driving distance from Austin. Preferably CO or NM.

crash_davis

We usually travel a lot for vacation. Well, Spring Break last year as the last time I got on a fucking plane. That's way too got damned long.

My and the wife's company are WFH or in this case work from remote. I want to go someplace for a week or more relatively inexpensive, less than $100 a night, that we can work from during the day and then go hiking and exploring after work. I was thinking Santa Fe, Durango, Pagosa Springs, etc. The more remote the better. Would love working and staring out the window at mountains or rivers.

Give me some suggestions. Want to be able to enjoy nearby hiking and nature. The more specific, the better.  Need WIFI, of course.

Anyone been to any airbnb, vrbo, cabins and shit that fits the bill?

Not sure about places to go, but 3star hotels are usually about $100 a night now. I would guess same for all lodging. Just pick a place and most likely it will be reasonable. Also never forget Pampa. The garden spot of Texas. Especially when the spring winds bring the red clouds of dirt. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Not sure about places to go, but 3star hotels are usually about $100 a night now. I would guess same for all lodging. Just pick a place and most likely it will be reasonable. Also never forget Pampa. The garden spot of Texas. Especially when the spring winds bring the red clouds of dirt. 

Don't know anything about Pampa so no idea if you were serious or not. Yea, Pampa looks like something that would happen if College Station and Brookshire had an illegitimate child.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Don't know anything about Pampa so no idea if you were serious or not. Yea, Pampa looks like something that would happen if College Station and Brookshire had an illegitimate child.

Forgot the sarcasm font. As one who grew up in west Texas you couldn’t pay me enough to live there again. 

Just now, immamac said:

Under 100/night is really low unless you are staying in some flea bag motel. 

I stay in hotels every week. The $200 a night in old times are now $100. Supply and demand. My companies profits have definitely gone up due to lower cost of us peons traveling. 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Interesting I've only been able to stay nice places at those rates when using hotwire or priceline. 

Hilton Bergstrom Airport pre-COVID $250. Now. $117. 
That’s chain website prices. I never use the discounters due to points. I would assume discounters would be cheaper.  

def AirBnB... lots of owners cut a price break for 7+ nights. 

we did CoSprings last summer for 8 nights...not super remote but TONS of close in outdoor activities (not including skiing of course). place we stayed was on the side of Cheyenne Mountain...perfect location, husband worked and i went hiking almost every day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

You just reminded me that we stayed at a hotel in Buena Vista in 2006 when we white water rafted the Arkansas River through the outfit Brown Canyon Rafting. 

It's a great spot.  Where many Coloradians go to get away from the major tourist towns further north.  Camped there at the base of some 14ers over halloween.  Was a fucking blast.

Thanks all. We are planning to go for a week in April, after the Spring Break hysteria. In South Fork, Creade, Pagosa Springs, and Durango I found a bunch of airbnb cabins and houses for under $100, some really good ones for around $60-70 a night. Problem is choosing one. Good problem to have.

• Hook 'Em 1

we're doing a week in Telluride in April this year... arriving the day the lifts close to avoid crowds🤘have fun

one way to help choose, reach out to the host for any questions, see how responive/helpful they are...for CO destinations i always make sure i ask if they are 420 friendly (if you're into that sort of thing, or not, even), not everybody is.

for working remote (my husband does) i ask specifically about wifi strength/speed. 

if you can't tell...we love Colorado lol 😎 just a matter of time...

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

I used to make the drive from Denver to the Four Corners area about once a month for work in the early 2000's.  I timed it where I would get to Durango for lunch with customers.  With that timing, I would come out of the mountains from Fairplay to Buena Vista about the time the sun was coming up and lighting up the Collegiate Peaks.  Breathtaking view every time I saw it.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

You just reminded me that we stayed at a hotel in Buena Vista in 2006 when we white water rafted the Arkansas River through the outfit Brown Canyon Rafting. 

You're also close enough to Great Sand Dunes NP for a good all day trip and within striking distance (an ALL day trip) to Gunnison.

On 2/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, 52-80 said:

Cloudcroft

Second, Cloudcroft

1. long, but a manageable 1 day drive from Austin
  2. A little alpine oasis in the middle of a flat arid landscape - Elevation 8,676 feet
  3. remote - less than a 1000 pop.
  4. average high in July? 72 degrees

might be able to find a deal on a cabin. No wifi? - use phone as a hotspot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Consider connectivity if video and cell calls are needed and you are notably remote or in a small town that seems suspect for connection.  My experience is the WiFi is not ever as good as advertised.  We bought a booster for remote Colorado RVing. It will not create a signal where none exists, it won’t hold a signal that goes in and out, it won’t convert a 1x to 3G or a 3G to LTE but it will take a weak signal and add 2 additional bars. So if you are in a solid 1-2 bar LTE reception you’ll end up with full strength.  The only problem is it really does have to be extended high. So an Airbnb might not like that apparently affixed to their structure but we use zip ties.  So it’s not really affixed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, troph said:

Consider connectivity if video and cell calls are needed and you are notably remote or in a small town that seems suspect for connection.  My experience is the WiFi is not ever as good as advertised.  We bought a booster for remote Colorado RVing. It will not create a signal where none exists, it won’t hold a signal that goes in and out, it won’t convert a 1x to 3G or a 3G to LTE but it will take a weak signal and add 2 additional bars. So if you are in a solid 1-2 bar LTE reception you’ll end up with full strength.  The only problem is it really does have to be extended high. So an Airbnb might not like that apparently affixed to their structure but we use zip ties.  So it’s not really affixed. 

Agreed. We go to Pagosa frequently and prior to getting a booster, there were always issues in getting enough reception to connect to the document management system or any other function on the server beyond just email.

Booked a place just outside of Pagosa Springs. Thought about splitting the week between Pagosa Springs and Taos/Angle Fire or Durango. Said fuck it and spending the whole week in Pagosa Springs. Wife really wanted the hot springs in town to sit in every night.

Had the owner check wifi and it was 18 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. That's doable.

Edited by crash_davis

On 3/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, crash_davis said:

I was very confused how those snow covered mountains got into Big Bend country.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:08 PM, yoladu said:

Second, Cloudcroft

1. long, but a manageable 1 day drive from Austin
  2. A little alpine oasis in the middle of a flat arid landscape - Elevation 8,676 feet
  3. remote - less than a 1000 pop.
  4. average high in July? 72 degrees

might be able to find a deal on a cabin. No wifi? - use phone as a hotspot.

Agreed.  I didn't think about Cloudcroft at first, but that's a perfect choice for this type of trip.