Russell Wilson Cut From the Broncos

Vic Mackey

8 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

At least with QBs the NFL is getting as nutty as basketball. It's off-putting

I don't see anything nutty about a player trying to force a trade. The team can trade or cut a player without their consent anytime they feel like it. 99% of contracts don't have a no-trade clause. 

Then you have the draft and franchise tag binding the player to a team for 5-7 years without any opportunity for the player to choose another team. Best part is this period is usually during the players physical prime, so they have even less leverage as they get older. 

So yea, I think it's pretty normal if they want to exercise their right to try and force a team to trade them.

But why do players sign a contract and then decide to not "honor" it? Because they have to assume all the injury risk to their career.  Then, circumstances, management, coaches, owners can all change and the player wants to play somewhere else. That's not some absurd or out of left field or notion, it's pretty normal to feel that way.  It's no different than a new coach moving on from an existing player. 

Players are human beings that have every right to be happy. Why is it looked down upon if they try to pursue that? Being on a team is their job, not some sort of lifetime marriage agreement for the benefit of fans. 

But maybe they should just shut up and dribble. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I heard that the cap hit for trading Wilson was massive.  Why is there a cap hit when you trade a guy?  I understand a penalty for cutting by why trading?  Or is it not a penalty and just they way the structured the signing bonus?

The prorated guaranteed bonus money comes due for cap purposes.  It's easier to do a post June 1st designated trade though -- takes out some of the sticker shock cap hit for this year although still have to pay up 2/3 of it next year.

9 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

did Russ watch any of the Cowboys games last season?  Their Oline sucks.  He's got to be trolling for a redo on his extension

OLs tend to suck when you are signing guys off the street to play both tackle positions.  If healthy, and that’s a big fucking if, the Cowboys OL is above average.  Not the dominant unit it was a few years ago, but still pretty good.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

OLs tend to suck when you are signing guys off the street to play both tackle positions.  If healthy, and that’s a big fucking if, the Cowboys OL is above average.  Not the dominant unit it was a few years ago, but still pretty good.

i was not counting on Smith to get healthy or play much going forward.  Zach and Lael together good form a decent right side i guess.  i think the left side will be lacking, but admit i know zero about how Smith is progressing.  Dude is a beast but was not right all season when he did play.

Dallas OL is good now especially with Smith healthy.  But they need help.  Collins and Smith coming back helps.  They have some younger guards who are capable but not great yet.  They need a center.  Is that the rookie?  Who knows.  They need to find one more guy.
Tyron will no doubt be dinged up during the season.

26 minutes ago, SDG said:

What's @RGBIII's opinion on this?  All 3 finalist are on the destination list.    

Great question. If I decide to go Raiders or Saints I want to get Wilson, regardless of the acquisition cost. If I choose Cowboys I would prefer to stick with Dak due to age and acquisition cost. I mean how much of an upgrade is Wilson over Dak? 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Eugene11 said:

why the fuck do all these teams recycle has been coaches and qbs?   

I'm too lazy to look but how many failure of coaches or qbs have gone to another team and lead them to the playoffs regularly? 

Tannehill is the only one in recent memory.

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Tannehill is the only one in recent memory.

Tannehill wasn’t a failure in Miami. He was injured a lot and everything around him was a shit show. Adam Gase will suck the life out of anyone. I’m kinda surprised the bears didn’t take a stab at darnold instead of Dalton though...

• 11 months later...

Denver has a pretty good defense. They have some weapons on offense that could not be utilized by the spare QBs they were rolling out. Russell Wilson is a nice addition for them. That era in Seattle is officially done. Legion of Boom has been long gone and now the one constant in Russell is gone. RIP Seattle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Jesus , imagine the price tag for Watson now. 

A second or third? Depositions for the lawsuits start March 11th, so all the stories about his sexual assaults are going to be back in the news. He's toxic. I doubt he plays next year. I guess someone might roll the dice on him, but I can't imagine a team's going to give up a lot of draft capital on a guy that may never play again. And even if he settles the lawsuits and it all goes away (as much as is possible), the team that takes him on is going to take a fucking huge PR hit and will be perceived to not give a shit about women. And they'll be taking a chance on a guy that hasn't played in two years. 

But, of course, Texans fans gonna Texans fans....

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/08/broncos-trade-russell-wilson-baseline-deshaun-watson/

No dumbass. This does not "set the bar". Watson's bar is very much lower than Wilson's. 

Maybe they can trade him for Calvin Ridley...

17 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

dear god denver got raped. anally without lube, repeatedly and deep

Bullshit.  You can't win in the NFL without a top QB.  And now the Broncos have one.  And they kept their talented WR corps intact and did not have to give up Patrick Surtain.  All they gave up of value was Shelby Harris and draft picks.  Lock was a throw-in and Fant was really disappointing.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

dear god denver got raped. anally without lube, repeatedly and deep

No they didn't. Denver already has a great defense, and they have an excellent group of young skill guys. They now get an elite QB. Denver had multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks this year so they won't go in totally dry on the next 2 drafts. Also have plenty of cap space available. This deal takes them from an average team to a Super Bowl contender. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

No they didn't. Denver already has a great defense, and they have an excellent group of young skill guys. They now get an elite QB. Denver had multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks this year so they won't go in totally dry on the next 2 drafts. Also have plenty of cap space available. This deal takes them from an average team to a Super Bowl contender. 

And Von has been saying on social media that he wants to come back.  This is his IG today.  That's Courtland Sutton with him.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/vonmiller/2789542557977626754/

Edited by Chewbacca

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Bullshit.  You can't win in the NFL without a top QB.  And now the Broncos have one.  And they kept their talented WR corps intact and did not have to give up Patrick Surtain.  All they gave up of value was Shelby Harris and draft picks.  Lock was a throw-in and Fant was really disappointing.

Rams just won a Super Bowl giving up a shitton to get a top flight QB to replace a worthless one.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

2 1st 2 2nds for. 34 year old qb plus players. Yeah to me Seattle won this one. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Rams just won a Super Bowl giving up a shitton to get a top flight QB to replace a worthless one.

Exactly.  Ask them if it was worth it.  I'll bet they are just fine with how things worked out.

I feel today like I did when they got Manning.  Today is a good day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The NFC's QB lineup is also dogshit. Rodgers, Stafford, then what? Good luck with 6 games a year against Mahomes, Hebert, and whoever other two top-shelf AFC QBs the schedule send your way.

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

19 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Rams had been to the playoffs 3 out of the previous 4 years. Broncos haven’t been close since 2015. Hardly comparable situations

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Rams had been to the playoffs 3 out of the previous 4 years. Broncos haven’t been close since 2015. Hardly comparable situations

Broncos have a strong roster.  Solid defense, really good skill position players.  This makes them an instant contender.

• immamac changed the title to Russell Wilson Cut From the Broncos