Anyone ever work for Deloitte or AWS?

Macanudo

18 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Curious about the environment, culture, etc.

An old product of mine was white labeled by Deloitte so I worked really closely with a big team of theirs. Sales guys, analysts, and product managers. They all seemed pretty happy with it. Most of them were workaholics and it did seem like most of them put in pretty big hours - but didn't seem to mind. So if you're a work/life balance guy you might dig into that a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is some second-hand and first-hand:

AWS: Culture sucks, it's a grind almost as bad as a place with a bad reputation, like Oracle, but not as bad. You can be a brilliant jerk here-- in fact, lots are. It's hard to make a ton of money here, but it's a fantastic brand to have as a jumping board. Should also add there is some unknown with the AWS CEO taking over for Bezos, so who knows what new leadership will look and feel like.

Deloitte: The best of the Big 4, you won't find a lot of knuckleheads at Deloitte-- even the worst people are generally very sharp and good at their jobs, whatever that is. Wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't consider themselves young and on the come, because of aforementioned work/life balance and you won't have the runway to get on deck to be a partner.

Customer facing: Pre-covid you are a road warrior and living out of a suitcase, which is generally fun when you are young and your best friends will be on your case team. I worked on a big telecom account pre-merger and we (the team) would fly out of Seattle mid-day Friday to Hawaii for weekends and then back to Seattle on Monday, for example. That is awesome when you are in your 20's, when you have a family it's a different story.

Back office: Who cares, probably a fine job.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 2

Deloitte's processes are fully refined and as a delivery guy building out those processes, I am quite envious and having to play catch up.

They will work your ass off and don't care about work-life balance, as stated above.  Same for the other big 4 firms.

AWS, depends on the role.  An old colleague jumped ship a few months back with an offer he couldn't turn down at AWS.

That said, having the big 4 on your resume is always a door opener.

• Hook 'Em 1

My mother worked for Deloitte and it was a mixed bag for her. She was older (60) extremely qualified and experienced but had some trouble dealing with the heavy travel, workload and much younger members of her team that were hard working but fairly arrogant. It just wasn’t a great fit for her, but the company itself has its shit together, positions pay well, benefits packages are valuable and there’s plenty of opportunity to advance if youre young. 

The money is good with consulting firms but it sucks working for them. Yes, part of the job can be fun especially if you can take advantage of the travel but even that gets old after a while. I don't even miss the fun times. Good memories, good money but glad I got out.

I also can't say that all jobs in consulting firms are the same. I worked with system implementations, so it was constantly dealing with turning around poor performing projects, and clients that refused to staff projects properly. And just try explaining that to the partner in charge. They don't care unless they believe they can get more of their staff on-site, so you're told to suck it up.

When I decided I had zero desire to go down the partner track, my desire to work there was almost immediately gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

Friend of mine is a partner at Deloitte on one of their M&A teams - he’s set .... in 10+ years, but when I mean set I mean mid six figures for life plus his own savings. The annuity component of their pension plan is unreal.  but it does seem like it’s a serious delayed gratification. He likes the work but is a travel and work machine. 

Partner track early career? That’s certainly one way. A lot like Big Law but in both instances at retirement folks really start to see what they missed compared to those with balance all the way through.  Having Deloitte on your CV is stellar but if you aren’t able to make partner the long term probably isn’t really there.  Use it and get out. 

Don’t know AWS, wouldn’t work for Amazon for anything.

Edited by troph

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Friend of mine is a partner at Deloitte on one of their M&A teams - he’s set .... in 10+ years, but when I mean set I mean mid six figures for life plus his own savings. The annuity component of their pension plan is unreal.  but it does seem like it’s a serious delayed gratification. He likes the work but is a travel and work machine. 

Partner track early career? That’s certainly one way. A lot like Big Law but in both instances at retirement folks really start to see what they missed compared to those with balance all the way through.  Having Deloitte on your CV is stellar but if you aren’t able to make partner the long term probably isn’t really there.  Use it and get out. 

Don’t know AWS, wouldn’t work for Amazon for anything.

If you aren't identified or want to be on a partner track, you don't stay at Deloitte longer than 5-7 years anyways. There are always cheaper young people ready to come in and hack it out and like anything else, it's up or out with a pre-determined expiration date. But, when you do leave, you can write your own ticket and do anything you want, essentially, in industry.

That said, I'm not sure how Big Law partner track works, but I always thought it was weird with consulting and how you essentially take out a loan for your equity against future profits and it takes 10-15 years to pay it back, or something like that. I don't know, you can tell from my posting I am not partner material, and not sure about your mid-six figures friend, but S&O partners make solid 7 figures annually for sure.

13 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

If you aren't identified or want to be on a partner track, you don't stay at Deloitte longer than 5-7 years anyways. There are always cheaper young people ready to come in and hack it out and like anything else, it's up or out with a pre-determined expiration date. But, when you do leave, you can write your own ticket and do anything you want, essentially, in industry.

That said, I'm not sure how Big Law partner track works, but I always thought it was weird with consulting and how you essentially take out a loan for your equity against future profits and it takes 10-15 years to pay it back, or something like that. I don't know, you can tell from my posting I am not partner material, and not sure about your mid-six figures friend, but S&O partners make solid 7 figures annually for sure.

I was talking about post retirement defined benefit pension income.  That was a guess, could be higher, either way retired into the wealth class for sure even if he had no savings and this guy is a penny pincher.  He’s still climbing the partnership ranks, maybe close to 7 figs. 

noted re up or out - not unlike big law.  Big law you have to buy in as well though I don’t know the buy is as steep.  Was big law, left. Not my beautiful life.  I’m 45 and want to be done at 52 not 70.  Might not happen but at least I’ve had some fun and downtime getting here. Can’t bang out those hours anymore, just not in me. 

haven't changed my mind the Amazon in the last 15 mins btw.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh and I’m guessing income is good not great for non-partner track folks, similar to the big law firms.  Just underscores the real opportunity is to be a craddle to grave lifer or use it and leave it.

Edited by troph

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I was talking about post retirement defined benefit pension income.  He’s still climbing the partnership ranks, maybe close to 7 figs. 

noted re up or out - not unlike big law.  Big law you have to buy in as well though I don’t know the buy is as steep.  Was big law, left. Not my beautiful life.  I’m 45 and want to be done at 52 not 70.  Might not happen but at least I’ve had some fun and downtime getting here. Can’t bang out those hours anymore, just not in me. 

It's a personality type for sure. I work 65-70 hours a week min. and I love what I do and find it equal parts challenging, fun, rewarding, prestigious and lucrative. Seriously, I hit my knees and thank God I get to do what I do because I love it so much. I like my weekends off like anyone else, but anything much longer than that I can't wait to get back to work and I think a lot of it is the dynamic nature and interesting work. Then again when I'm 45 I might think differently, but hey, for now might as well smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

9 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

It's a personality type for sure. I work 65-70 hours a week min. and I love what I do and find it equal parts challenging, fun, rewarding, prestigious and lucrative. Seriously, I hit my knees and thank God I get to do what I do because I love it so much. I like my weekends off like anyone else, but anything much longer than that I can't wait to get back to work and I think a lot of it is the dynamic nature and interesting work. Then again when I'm 45 I might think differently, but hey, for now might as well smoke 'em if you got 'em.

70-90 hours a week was a walk in the park in my late 20s and early 30s. At one point commuting back and forth to Dallas weekly. By late 30s 60 was max, now 40 max is it, I’ve seen almost everything more than a few times so work isn’t challenging it’s boring and I’m actively in transition to new lines of work that are more lucrative, less time consuming, and can be done for the next 20 years. You might keep banging it out and if you can go for it. The set up is amazing.  I’m more interested in learning challenging hobbies at this point and ride my expertise as I can. Definitely NOT big law material.  But hey winds out of the south for first run at sailing lessons tomorrow so happy hour at 3pm on a Friday it is. 

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, troph said:

70-90 hours a week was a walk in the park in my late 20s and early 30s. At one point commuting back and forth to Dallas weekly. By late 30s 60 was max, now 40 max is it, work isn’t challenging it’s boring and I’m actively in transition to new lines of work that are more lucrative, less time consuming, and can be done for the next 20 years. You might keep banging it out and if you can go for it. The set up is amazing.  I’m more interested in learning challenging hobbies at this point and ride my expertise as I can. Definitely NOT big law material.  But hey winds out of the south for first run at sailing lessons tomorrow so happy hour at 3pm on a Friday it is. 

Sy Ableman was a serious man.

I wouldn’t presume to have more than hearsay info to contribute on lifestyles/work load at each (though my wife started her career at Deloitte), but as a mortgage lender I’m fairly informed on the compensation I see from employees of each.  

With AWS folks I see a lot of signing bonuses, and obviously RSU’s are a big part of the total compensation packages.  Deloitte appears to have two tracks for staff-the up and out folks on the partner track and a lot of other folks that are at low six figure mark with more security but less upside (lot of Indians with engineering degrees among them) and that they are probably responsible for a considerable amount of the heavy lifting (I’d guess a portion of these are the subs, too).  

On 2/26/2021 at 9:12 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

So, did you get competing job offers? What did you decide? Can't leave us hanging.

Nope but they both have openings that have a lot to do with what I do now.   But these responses along with what I have heard from others, I'm too old and enjoy my time off too much for either environment.

• Hook 'Em 2