Have a Coke and a Pile( of guilt)

Coca-Cola, Facing Backlash, Says 'Be Less White' Learning Plan Was About Workplace Inclusion

BY CHRISTINA ZHAO ON 2/21/21 AT 10:30 PM EST

Coca-Cola, facing mounting backlash from conservatives online, has responded to allegations of anti-white rhetoric after an internal whistleblower leaked screenshots of diversity training materials that encourages staff to "try to be less white."

On Friday, Karlyn Borysenko, an activist who supports banning critical race theory, shared images from an internal whistleblower of the company's online racism training. The slides included tips to learners on how to be "less white, less arrogant, less certain, less defensive, less ignorant and more humble."

"In the U.S. and other Western nations, white people are socialized to feel that they are inherently superior because they are white," one of the slides read. "Research shows that by age 3 to 4, children understand that it is better to be white."

LinkedIn Removes Diversity Lesson Telling Employees to 'Be Less White'
READ MORE

A Coca-Cola spokesperson confirmed that the course is "part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace," but also noted that "the video circulating on social media is from a publicly available LinkedIn Learning series and is not a focus of our company's curriculum."

"Our Better Together global learning curriculum is part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace," the spokesperson said in a statement. "It is comprised of a number of short vignettes, each a few minutes long. The training includes access to LinkedIn Learning on a variety of topics, including on diversity, equity and inclusion."

The company was referring to a YouTube video shared online by Borysenko, during which she discusses and displays screenshots from the LinkedIn training course by American best seller Robin DiAngelo.

Antiracism training has become a divisive topic in America. In response to the police killing of George Floyd, liberals and progressives ramped up efforts to address systemic racism and view such training as necessary. Proponents of critical race theory have called for white people to acknowledge the advantages of being white for a more equitable society.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Coca-Cola, Facing Backlash, Says 'Be Less White' Learning Plan Was About Workplace Inclusion

BY CHRISTINA ZHAO ON 2/21/21 AT 10:30 PM EST

Coca-Cola, facing mounting backlash from conservatives online, has responded to allegations of anti-white rhetoric after an internal whistleblower leaked screenshots of diversity training materials that encourages staff to "try to be less white."

On Friday, Karlyn Borysenko, an activist who supports banning critical race theory, shared images from an internal whistleblower of the company's online racism training. The slides included tips to learners on how to be "less white, less arrogant, less certain, less defensive, less ignorant and more humble."

"In the U.S. and other Western nations, white people are socialized to feel that they are inherently superior because they are white," one of the slides read. "Research shows that by age 3 to 4, children understand that it is better to be white."

READ MORE

A Coca-Cola spokesperson confirmed that the course is "part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace," but also noted that "the video circulating on social media is from a publicly available LinkedIn Learning series and is not a focus of our company's curriculum."

"Our Better Together global learning curriculum is part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace," the spokesperson said in a statement. "It is comprised of a number of short vignettes, each a few minutes long. The training includes access to LinkedIn Learning on a variety of topics, including on diversity, equity and inclusion."

The company was referring to a YouTube video shared online by Borysenko, during which she discusses and displays screenshots from the LinkedIn training course by American best seller Robin DiAngelo.

Antiracism training has become a divisive topic in America. In response to the police killing of George Floyd, liberals and progressives ramped up efforts to address systemic racism and view such training as necessary. Proponents of critical race theory have called for white people to acknowledge the advantages of being white for a more equitable society.

Well to coin a phrase from a few years ago, that's mighty white of them.  

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Man you are days late with this. 

the trumpers on my fb feed, proclaimed anti-cancel culture, have been busting themselves making sure everyone knows they are boycotting Coca Cola products. 

I know.  I see it too.  I'm not into boycotting all that shit.  Hell, I still have Nike stuff.

Was more interested in the discussion itself and hearing  how folks would feel about the topic being 'taught' at work.  Is it really helping anyone?

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

the trumpers on my fb feed, proclaimed anti-cancel culture, have been busting themselves making sure everyone knows they are boycotting Coca Cola products. 

Had a friend text me something about "what have you done to be less white today?". I had no idea what he was talking about. 

I just hope that one day white people can get a fair shake in this country. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

I know.  I see it too.  I'm not into boycotting all that shit.  Hell, I still have Nike stuff.

Was more interested in the discussion itself and hearing  how folks would feel about the topic being 'taught' at work.  Is it really helping anyone?

Teaching things like empathy and validation are never bad ideas.

Seems to me that so many white people reacting as they have to the idea that has been and continues to be easier to be white in this country than non-white, kind of makes the point that it still needs to be talked about. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Seems to me that so many white people reacting as they have to the idea that has been and continues to be easier to be white in this country than non-white, kind of makes the point that it still needs to be talked about. 

Is that the reaction? My reaction is that telling anyone to be less anything race or creed related is pretty offensive. I mean, I think we can all agree that telling a black person to be less black is pretty hairy. Or telling a Muslim to be less Muslim. 

Besides that, I don't even know what "less white" is supposed to mean. 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t think anyone is raising hell about empathy. Validation is almost a loaded term, so I’ll let you explain it in the context that you mean.

One of the catchphrases we have is bringing your whole self to work.  Sounds like Coca-Cola would have me leave part of me at the house. They are judging me by the color of my skin not the content of my character. That is why it is offensive.

Edited by slorch

Maybe this is like their "New Coke" switcharoo back in the 80's.  They introduce this trainwreck of a new diversity training module to remind people of how much they loved the old one.  

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is that the reaction? My reaction is that telling anyone to be less anything race or creed related is pretty offensive. I mean, I think we can all agree that telling a black person to be less black is pretty hairy. Or telling a Muslim to be less Muslim. 

I gave you your 10,000th rep. What do I win?

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

Sounds like Coca-Cola would have me leave part of me at the house.

,Not directed your way, Slorch,  but less arrogant, less certain, less defensive, less ignorant and more humble: these aren’t irritating goals. If doing these things make you ‘less white” then white folk ought be reflective, not defensive.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

One of the catchphrases we have is bringing your whole self to work.  Sounds like Coca-Cola would have me leave part of me at the house. They are judging me by the color of my skin not the content of my character. That is why it is offensive.

The popular Slap Face GIFs everyone's sharing

got damm snowflake.  

The content of your character is precisely the point.  

Your "whole self" is not what any employer wants; they want the part/s of you that function efficiently in the workplace. Leave the cultural narcissism and resentment at home in your closet. 

It isn't difficult. It's work, for fucks sake. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Is this like the corporate version of "how come we cant say the 'N' word too?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There will likely always be a segment of the white population in this country that is going to feign outrage and anger that not everyone is real happy about the inherent advantages of being white. I look at the people who consistently get outraged about things like this and feel sad for them in a way because they are willfully indignant about things that really just do not matter. After all the protests, vigils and marches I went to last summer I have a pretty good understanding of what someone means when they say be "less white". I have no issue whatsoever with that statement being made and I agree with it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Succinctly put.

As a white man, I'm still surprised at how much further I need to go to see and feel what it's like not to be a white man. 

It's not a matter of genetics; it's a matter of culture and assumption. Phrasing as "trying to be less white" sounds about right unless you're sitting in the class with a chip on your shoulder because black people can use the N word and you can't or because you don't realize just how walled off most of us priveleged people are from the daily grinding done to others.

So yes, be less culturally white. Fuck the snowflakes who won't see beyond their opportunity to ignite over something trivial. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I was under the impression that Conservatives were all about letting people run their businesses however they wanted?

Are we to understand your deflecting question here to be a timid and indirect defense of the faux pas? Because it kinda comes off that way. At the very least it seems your point is that conservatives-- at least a sub-set of conservatives-- who want a laissez faire approach to people running their business are not allowed to levy criticism here.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Succinctly put.

As a white man, I'm still surprised at how much further I need to go to see and feel what it's like not to be a white man. 

It's not a matter of genetics; it's a matter of culture and assumption. Phrasing as "trying to be less white" sounds about right unless you're sitting in the class with a chip on your shoulder because black people can use the N word and you can't or because you don't realize just how walled off most of us priveleged people are from the daily grinding done to others.

So yes, be less culturally white. Fuck the snowflakes who won't see beyond their opportunity to ignite over something trivial. 

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Are we to understand your deflecting question here to be a timid and indirect defense of the faux pas? Because it kinda comes off that way. At the very least it seems your point is that conservatives-- at least a sub-set of conservatives-- who want a laissez faire approach to people running their business are not allowed to levy criticism here.

Who is denying them speech? The post merely, amusingly, points up what conservatives (Trumpists) say if a business acts in a way that is offensive to a group of people.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Succinctly put.

But Roma, what would life be worth, if i can't spend most of it whining about people who might be getting special privileges I didn't realize I had????

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Who is denying them speech? The post merely, amusingly, points up what conservatives (Trumpists) say if a business acts in a way that is offensive to a group of people.

Nobody is denying them speech. What are you talking about?

The guy responds with a what-aboutism that seems like the subtext was "you can't criticize this if you've said that you are for businesses doing/saying whatever they want" and i was asking for clarity if that was indeed the case because, despite responding in that way where it seems like that's the intent, I could have read it wrong.

And my response to you was to point out that "be less white" can be better said, addressed, and taken by everyone, by taking out the race, and focusing on the class. Be less bourgeois, as it were?

Edited by DonkeyCigars

The phrase "be less white" seems really stupid to me as a formal part of corporate training, but it's a private business.  They can do what they want with their staff training if it isn't illegal.  If employees don't like it, they can leave or take other avenues if they actually feel it's discriminatory or otherwise illegal.  If it's a really stupid idea, people can publicize it in a number of ways and push for changes.  It appears LinkedIn is changing it, so perhaps it worked itself out.  (did not read into it heavily, so forgive my ignorance if there is a lot more to this story)  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Nobody is denying them speech. What are you talking about?

The guy responds with a what-aboutism that seems like the subtext was "you can't criticize this if you've said that you are for businesses doing/saying whatever they want" and i was asking for clarity if that was indeed the case because, despite responding in that way where it seems like that's the intent, I could have read it wrong.

And my response to you was to point out that "be less white" can be better said by taking out the race, and focusing on the class. Be less bourgeois, as it were?

13 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

You say it right there.

It's also a common exaggeration of the right to claim they are being denied their right to have an opinion when confronted with better supported opposing opinions.

And my response to you was to point out that "be less white" can be better said by taking out the race, and focusing on the class. Be less bourgeois, as it were?

The class difference is a result of the racial difference. White racial indifference about even recognizing how society is different for them is not founded in class either. 

The yokel comedian speaks of privilege wishing he'd had some. He would have found it if he drove to the nice part of town in his shitty car and gotten out to take a walk. Then see when one of the black neighborhood young men does the same.

Of course, this is already known by all. It's just denied because it's inconvenient or gives a person the sads because they aren't actual victims of racism.

You're better than most at making sensible sounds, but more and more you come across as phony. But I've been wrong before. Maybe I am now.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You say it right there.

It's also a common exaggeration of the right to claim they are being denied their right to have an opinion when confronted with better supported opposing opinions.

Dude, no. I'm not talking about a systemic censorship. I'm talking about that individual poster's view and position. His expectations and thoughts and his headspace on the issue. Which is why I asked him directly and specifically, and not you. I'm trying to understand his stance and view and generally to know him better. Make sense?

Edited by DonkeyCigars

You say it right there.
Conservatives scream about their right to an opinion when you present them with facts disproving their theory about jewish space lasers. Ever the moronic victims.

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Dude, no. I'm not talking about a systemic censorship. I'm talking about that individual poster's view and position. His expectations and thoughts and his headspace on the issue. Which is why I asked him directly and specifically, and not you. I'm trying to understand his stance and view and generally to know him better. Make sense?

Dude, you said it again when you denied it the first time:

Saying someone can't criticize is denying them speech.

Dude.

I also edited my post above, so anyone reading our discussion should know that Donkey Cigars had not seen the entire post when he/she responded. I added all the stuff after the last quote.

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Dude, you said it again when you denied it the first time:

Saying someone can't criticize is denying them speech.

Dude.

I also edited my post above, so anyone reading our discussion should know that Donkey Cigars had not seen the entire post when he/she responded. I added all the stuff after the last quote.

Let me rephrase, is Beau Vine's response a) Beau Vine's personal feelings and defense of "be less white" as legitimate and good corporate behavior and b) does Beau Vine believe that conservatives should not be able to criticize things businesses do that EVEN non-conservatives think are foolish, because conservatives generally think and use as a defense for other foolish things that businesses should be free to do whatever they want?

And it might help you to understand why my questions are specifically addressed to him as a drill down to what his thoughts are, as opposed to a more general or broader application, because I feel like this guy is more-or-less reasonable based off his former postings despite being a polar opposite in most ways of thinking.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I wouldn't call it a faux pas and I wouldn't say I'm defending it, and conservatives can say any damn thing they want, as long as they're willing to accept criticism for being hypocritical about their positions.  Happy now?

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Mine are all about the 50 year old transgendered woman playing roundball for some Bay Area Junior College.

"Why aren't all the radical feminists up in arms about this!?  When will the madness stop!"