Have a Coke and a Pile( of guilt)

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Teaching things like empathy and validation are never bad ideas.

Seems to me that so many white people reacting as they have to the idea that has been and continues to be easier to be white in this country than non-white, kind of makes the point that it still needs to be talked about. 

Yes, that needs to be talked about, but some people need to go about it better. Saying "be less white", at face value, is implying that it is not good to be of a particular race. That's not how it's intended, of course, but that's how it's read by many, and that undermines the intent of the message in the first place to those people (who are probably the ones you most want to reach with this message), inhibiting their ability to learn, because it is attempting to teach anti-racism via messages that imply negative stereotypes be associated with race. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is that the reaction? My reaction is that telling anyone to be less anything race or creed related is pretty offensive. I mean, I think we can all agree that telling a black person to be less black is pretty hairy. Or telling a Muslim to be less Muslim. 

Besides that, I don't even know what "less white" is supposed to mean. 

Eat less mayoniase ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

,Not directed your way, Slorch,  but less arrogant, less certain, less defensive, less ignorant and more humble: these aren’t irritating goals. If doing these things make you ‘less white” then white folk ought be reflective, not defensive.

Confident black man scares whitey in a good way.

Confident white man is sinister as fuck.

am I playing along with the scorekeepers right?  arroagant, certain, and defensive are uniquely white traits, correct?

Fuck all of that horseshit...and that's exactly what it fucking is.

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Confident black man scares whitey in a good way.

Confident white man is sinister as fuck.

am I playing along with the scorekeepers right?

Confidence is the same thing as arrogance? C’mon.

Where does sinister enter this discussion?

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Confidence is the same thing as arrogance? C’mon.

Where does sinister enter this discussion?

Dude, it's a stupid fucking game..  Even by your description, those behaviors/ characteristics are hardly unique to whites.  To assume the absence of them in blacks is racist as fuck...as is most of this bullshit.

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

Yes, that needs to be talked about, but some people need to go about it better. Saying "be less white", at face value, is implying that it is not good to be of a particular race. That's not how it's intended, of course, but that's how it's read by many, and that undermines the intent of the message in the first place to those people (who are probably the ones you most want to reach with this message), inhibiting their ability to learn, because it is attempting to teach anti-racism via messages that imply negative stereotypes be associated with race. 

Are you sure?  Not as catchy, but “Be less black day” seems like it would go over great   at the office holy shit who thought this was a good idea.  LinkedIn might need some HR and marketing help. 

6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

There will likely always be a segment of the white population in this country that is going to feign outrage and anger that not everyone is real happy about the inherent advantages of being white. I look at the people who consistently get outraged about things like this and feel sad for them in a way because they are willfully indignant about things that really just do not matter. After all the protests, vigils and marches I went to last summer I have a pretty good understanding of what someone means when they say be "less white". I have no issue whatsoever with that statement being made and I agree with it.

What exactly does it mean?

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, slorch said:

Dude, it's a stupid fucking game..  Even by your description, those behaviors/ characteristics are hardly unique to whites.  To assume the absence of them in blacks is racist as fuck...as is most of this bullshit.

I agree with your second sentence, but your third makes an assumption which I reject.

By ditching our certainty, we become wiser. And more confidant, as I understand the fullest expression of the word. Confident people are not always right, nor are they shamed by being humble, or considering that they may be wrong on an issue.

Calling these traits ‘toxic employee traits’ rather than labeling them toxic whiteness would remedy the bullshit factor insofar as the general is not the specific. I get that. I choose not to be offended:.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Punct, right?
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Throughout my time in corporate America, the unspoken expectation was for me to be less black in order to optimize my opportunities for success. We call the purification process House or Field Certification (HOFC).

Yeah, that’s a real thing and it’s not good.  Now imagine working for a Dow 30 and having to watch a movie about it.  Your company not only implying, but out and out stating the issue is you, and you need to change. 

I friend of mine has very stereotypically Black sounding first name. I knew him by that name for years until he got a fancy corporate gig in the financial sector. Shortly before he got that gig, he started going by his middle name. He made a business decision that being seen as too black wasn't in his interest. It seems to have been a lucrative choice for him.

I have to question the decision making capabilities of corporations that would frame these issues in terms of too much whiteness. I understand these discussions going on in academia or the broader public sphere, but a company doing this while trying to sell disgusting drinks seems dumb. I avoid getting offended by proxy about stupid things so I don't really care about the video, but I wonder what the future holds for LinkedIn and Coke. This thing won't hurt them all that much, but the fact that this happened isn't a positive sign of their keen business acumen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Mole said:

I friend of mine has very stereotypically Black sounding first name. I knew him by that name for years until he got a fancy corporate gig in the financial sector. Shortly before he got that gig, he started going by his middle name. He made a business decision that being seen as too black wasn't in his interest. It seems to have been a lucrative choice for him.

I have to question the decision making capabilities of corporations that would frame these issues in terms of too much whiteness. I understand these discussions going on in academia or the broader public sphere, but a company doing this while trying to sell disgusting drinks seems dumb. I avoid getting offended by proxy about stupid things so I don't really care about the video, but I wonder what the future holds for LinkedIn and Coke. This thing won't hurt them all that much, but the fact that this happened isn't a positive sign of their keen business acumen. 

I can't speak for LinkedIn  post MSFT merger, but I suspect the business minds stewarding that operating unit are just fine. MSFT hasn't made a strategic misstep in a decade it seems, or whenever Satya rose to power, at least.

Coca Cola is also one of the most prestigious places to be if you are a marketing guy or gal. They have more Ivy league marketers than anywhere not on Madison Ave. and have a culture around marketing expertise. And it make sense if you consider:

• Coca-Cola is in Atlanta, the mecca of American blacks when it comes to a lot of the privileges and opportunities lacking in other cities
  • Soda companies spend more time and money marketing to BIPOC
  • The proportions of U.S.-born blacks, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans/Mexican-Americans who reported consuming more than one soda per day was more than twice that of whites. Individuals aged 18–24, men, and those with less than a college education were also more likely to be frequent soda consumers.
  • 65% of US households that make less than $30k per year drink diet or regular soda.

Not saying these are direct reasons why the corporation itself would want to push a corporate message that explicitly said "Be less white", but in whatever the extent an the is benefited and responsible to understand, empathize and be more like their end customer, hear the voice of the customer (VOC), it makes sense because their market seems to "be less white" these days, like fast food/McDonald's as a peer case study.

Edited to add: the obligatory Trump diet coke button joke, notwithstanding.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTbear said:

I mean, I wonder why "be less white", would be read that way?

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

white people will put mayo in . . .  anything

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turtles-caught-disastrous-oil-spill-are-treated-mayonnaise-180977102/

"They came to us full of tar. All their trachea from inside and outside was full of tar," says Guy Ivgy, a medical assistant at the Sea Turtle Rescue Center in Michmoret, to the Associated Press.

To aid the turtles in flushing out their digestive systems clogged with crude oil, workers at the sea turtle rescue are feeding them mayonnaise, which will break down the tar and make it easier to expel out as poop.

A small turtle is held with its mouth open. A tube is entering the turtle's mouth.

Soupe mayonnaise aux tortues inspirée du foie gras

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, Willfully Horn said:

I agree with your second sentence, but your third makes an assumption which I reject.

By ditching our certainty, we become wiser. And more confidant, as I understand the fullest expression of the word. Confident people are not always right, nor are they shamed by being humble, or considering that they may be wrong on an issue.

Calling these traits ‘toxic employee traits’ rather than labeling them toxic whiteness would remedy the bullshit factor insofar as the general is not the specific. I get that. I choose not to be offended:.

That right there is some of the best advice I have ever read on this site. Having the ability to be confident enough in who you are to say you might be, or actually are wrong, says a lot to me about a person. Being able to shed the toxicity associated with hubris and instead embrace the fullness of being humble towards others is where I would like to see more of our society migrate to. Treat others with dignity and respect and when you do not live up to that standard be humble enough to apologize and make amends.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 2:09 PM, UpperWestside said:

That right there is some of the best advice I have ever read on this site. Having the ability to be confident enough in who you are to say you might be, or actually are wrong, says a lot to me about a person. Being able to shed the toxicity associated with hubris and instead embrace the fullness of being humble towards others is where I would like to see more of our society migrate to. Treat others with dignity and respect and when you do not live up to that standard be humble enough to apologize and make amends.

You never answered what it meant to be less white, after you professed to have a clear understanding of it. 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, washparkhorn said:

1. Weaken systems relying on unearned advantage.

2. Don't hang out with white nationalists. 

I didn’t ask you. I asked that pussy. 

But since you answered. Which systems are you referencing?

On 2/25/2021 at 8:29 PM, Mole said:

Some years ago, a former colleague of mine with two degrees from UT, was accepted into an accelerated managerial development program with at&t. The manager assigned to be her mentor, cautioned her against expecting much success since there were no higher level managers with hairstyles, clothes and nails like hers. This kind of thinking provides insight into what it’s like to be excessively white and unnecessarily so.