OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Well, let's review the class (spoilered because, while I had fun on this, it got absurdly long):

Hide contents

OU took a top heavy class, with what is considered real firepower at the top and a bunch of lowly ranked headscratchers at the middle and bottom. It's not nearly as Texas heavy as their classes have been historically, taking only 5 from the state, 3 of whom are from Denton and that might as well be in Oklahoma. 

Venables has issues with his roster. They had a bunch of transfers out, so they took 13 transfers in, and signed 26 guys. Okies here and elsewhere seem to believe that the transfers they lost needed to go, and the ones they brought in immediately improve their whole team. I've seen the same sentiment with this class. That said, as one of my buddies involved with CFB for a living told me, "Ol'Brent must think he's going to be at OU for a good long while, because there is going to need to be a lot of development in that class. A LOT of development."

In all, OU signed 1 QB, 2 TBs, 2 WRs (maybe a 3rd, depending upon where an ATH winds up), 1 TE, 2 Ts, 3 IOLs. For those keeping score at home, that's likely 11 of the 26 signees for the offense. 4 of the OLs are flat out projects, as is the TE. On defense, they signed 2 Edge, 3 DTs (all projects), 4 LBs, at least 3 of whom are projects and 2 are total unknowns, 1 Nickel who thinks he's a CB, 1 juco CB, 1 ATH that is a better WR than CB but given Venables' proclivities and the dearth of CBs in this class, will probably be a CB, and then 4 fucking safeties, 2 of whom could wind up being stars and the other 2 loaded with yeast and flour. That's 15 recruits out of 26 for the D. Strong balance there, Brent.

On the recruits:

Jackson Arnold (QB): A typical overranked Denton Guyer QB who is undersized, not particularly fast and criticized for not being very inventive to make up for his size, but OU wanted him and, hey, they produce Heisman trophy winning QBs, so he shot up the rankings. OU fans think he's the savior, and gurus compare him to Baker Mayfield because ... of course. Also, he has the smirk of a fratboy date rapist who gets away with it because his parents can afford good lawyers. This is the perfect OU QB recruit. Several friends not involved with the rankings but involved with the space think he's way overranked.

PJ Adebawore (Edge): A camp circuit favorite with a giant wingspan for his size. Stood out at the UA game in drills. Has the potential to be the best OU pass rusher since I don't even know. I would take him over every Edge Texas has taken in the last two classes.

Peyton Bowen (S): A standout at safety with excellent speed and athleticism. A known ballhawk and playmaker. He's also a head case who knew for the better part of 6 months that he wasn't actually going to sign with Notre Dame while lying to them the entire time and sniffing around OU and ATM repeatedly. Takes the money and runs to Oregon before his mother intervened and made him sign with OU, because a deal is a deal. We'll see how he handles the Bradley Buzzcut treatment once on campus. He seems to have a super strong backbone.

Sam Omosigho (LB): This guy is an explosive athlete with a big wingspan for his size. He's considered a project. He's from Texas, yet most Texas schools weren't involved with his recruitment, including Texas and ATM. I don't know if that means he wasn't interested or they know shit that no one else does. He was an excellent receiver and he put up big numbers on both sides of the ball. He finished highly ranked and yet most folks on this board know dick-all about the guy. He was a better WR than LB in HS.

Makari Vickers (S): If you haven't seen his film, think of Kramer at the kid karate classes on Seinfeld. He's another playmaker at safety and is an excellent tackler with good size. He won't be 18 until the summer. He wasn't as heavily recruited as I would have figured in his region, although all of the big boys nearby offered except Miami.

Jaquaize Pettaway (WR): He's a very fast, slightly-built WR with spotty hands. He'll never add a bunch of weight with his frame. He chose OU over Texas and he fits the sooner personality profile perfectly. By that, I mean he's apparently a cocky asshole that mixes like oil with water when it comes to hanging out with good kids who will graduate. Johntay Cook didn't like the guy and he liked everybody. I cheer against all sooners, but I'll be actively cheering against this dude.

Cayden Green (T/IOL): In the classic sense of the way OU teaches their OL - to hold like motherfuckers and dare refs to call it more than once in a game - this guy could be their GOAT when it is all said and done. In his film, he lays down with more small, fat white boys than the Omega Mu's. He's undersized, so to speak, to be considered a terrific LT prospect. He's 6'4" and his wingspan is small for his size. I assume he'll get looks at RT and may be eventually moved inside. 

Jacobe Johnson (ATH): He'd be big for corner and would be a project there, but has everything else. He's already a good WR. He comes into the class at the same age as the sophomores on the roster. He's ranked really high in the consensus rankings because ESPN loves the guy, so, caveat emptor. I wasn't blown away by his film. The offensive highlights consist of him winning a bunch of jump balls against smaller DBs. The defensive highlights consist of him being soft in press and recovering to make plays on the ball. 

Lewis Carter (LB): He hits like a ton of fucking bricks, so you have to like that. He's not particularly fast or big. He was lightly recruited or ignored by most recruiting powers in the southeast. OU landed the guy over UCF and to a lesser degree a Harsin-led Auburn and Butterteeth's NIL-less UNC. He didn't make camps. He's got an inflated ranking because OU basically took the guy and he's from Florida. I can see no other reason for his rating after watching the film and asking around.

Kendal Dolby (CB, Juco): There are operational leaders for international terror organizations with more photographs and information available on the Internet about them than this guy. His film footage consists of jump ball picks, running in the wrong direction in pass coverage, multiple helmet headshots against defenseless receivers and a bunch of arm tackles, all shown from roughly two miles away by drone footage. It's hilariously dark shit as an opposing fan. Either OU stole an unknown gem here or he's cannon fodder as they try to find answers on defense.

Derrick Leblanc (DL): Can play DE or DT. Flashed early in high school, got a lot of attention, and then didn't progress further as he aged. UF and Miami stayed on him, many other schools fell off. He's not super athletic and isn't strong against the run. Also, he looks like he's part of a zombie apocalypse in recruiting headshots. 

Jasiah Wagoner (Nickel): Some say OU recruited him as a CB when other schools told him he was a nickel. He'll be a nickel, or we'll be happy to see him at CB. He's not incredibly fast. His size is mediocre. He's quick and was an offensive standout in HS as well. In the early Stoops era, the right kind of this type used to irritate the shit out of everyone. In the late Riley/early Venables era, we love seeing this type of guy on the field as they've been weak spots. It will be interesting to see which way this one ultimately leans.

Daylan Smothers (TB): He's a small but tough runner that numerous regional (NC area) offensive powers were in on. Has good hands. He's not bread, but he's not the normal top 100 TB that OU usually lands. This is the kind of guy who is really good for NC State but doesn't make the depth chart for UF or NC. 

Keyon Brown (WR): Tall but slow WR out of Florida. Jeff Lebby is recruiting on offense as though he's still at UCF. This guy is bread that no one locally wanted. OU had to fend off a fierce push from ... Nebraska to keep this guy. 

Daeh I-Have-A-Good-Older-Brother-That-Plays-Edge-And-Will-Transfer-To-Your-School-If-You-Take-Me McCullough (S): This guy played HS ball in South Bend and Notre Dame didn't offer. He wasn't nationally ranked by a single service. His older brother transferred in from Indiana after putting up good numbers there.

Logan Howland (T): This guy is lowly ranked out of NJ and he didn't do the camp circuit. He's very tall and will need to add good weight. Beyond OU, he officially visited Michigan, Iowa, and Miami. Guys who know what they're doing on the OL were all over this guy. He chose to go to the school with the worst recent development history for OLs among the four (if you consider Cristobal back through Oregon). 

Joshua Bates (G): The fat kid from the movie "The Sandlot" should have garnered more attention for his fame if nothing else. OU was the only school of any FBS merit to recruit the guy, so they saw something they liked or he's Bedenbough's love child and he owed his mom a favor.

Kalib Hicks (TB): He's plain as grits. Average size, decent moves, no burst, no breakaway speed, put up decent numbers for a Texas powerhouse program. His nickname should be "Vanilla".

Phil Picciotti (LB): His film looks like a set of snippets from Lattimer in practices from The Program. If he stays on the roids, maybe he can provide help at Mike someday. He has the lateral quickness of a dairy cow. His film includes a lot of plays where he runs full speed ahead and attempts to simply run directly through another human being or two, irrespective of whether they possess the ball. He played for IMG and was ignored by the regional powers, instead being pursued by deep north Big 10 teams and the okies. This is the kind of meathead that a guy like Venables takes and calls "our kind of guy" simply because he saw him beat up four junior kids at once behind the school when the okies showed up to visit.

Ashton Sanders (DT): He's built like a fire hydrant and might be 6'0" on his tippy toes, but he's listed at 6'1". OU needs bodies in the middle on defense and they had to beat out Cal and a coachless Wisconsin to land him. He was mostly ignored locally. He's The Human Buttplug for a defense, clogging up the insides of the defense if he can get fat enough. 

Heath Ozaeta (IOL): Bedenbough has a penchant for recruiting some aggie-looking motherfuckers. This guy's the gingeriest ginger who has ever gingered. Also known as The Human Hand Grenade because if he visits your school, he scatters other interested recruits far and wide from wherever he's standing and causes the school he's visiting to immediately back off of his recruitment. He visited 5 schools officially, and none of them pushed for him after his official. OU landed him by default since he was clearly a personality fit for their campus after he tried to fit in everywhere but there on his officials.

Taylor Wein (Edge): OU is the only school this guy visited, and they got on him late. Looking at his film, they didn't get on him late because of that footage. This is another take in which Venables and his staff are going to show everyone their prowess as a scouting group by finding this hidden star in obscurity, or they're not nearly as smart as they think they are. He's big, for whatever that's worth. I doubt he plays the key pass rushing role on the outside, but probably more of a strongside guy, if he ever plays.

Kade McIntyre (TE): OU beat out KSU and Iowa for a TE, so it's hard to knock the take. He's another developmental guy who chose the worst school for development out of his options. Brand means a lot, clearly. He's going to have to put on a lot of weight to be an in-line guy, but no one can run a potent roid process like Jerry Schmidt.

Erik "Sourdough" McCarty (S): A fourth safety in the class, from Oklahoma backwaters. Enjoy the fresh smell of rising dough.

Markus "Pumpernickel" Strong (DL): Another mystery take from Florida, OU beat USF and Troy for his services. If this guy sees the field anytime soon, OU fans are probably lighting their cigarettes at that point, because they've already been fucked. 

Taylor VonBreadenHeim (LB): Rivals and ESPN didn't even have this guy in their databases. 247 and On3 ranked him late because they apparently owed Brent Venables a favor, or he threatened to violently rape some of their employees after hosting them on an employee getaway church revival weekend on his Norman property. This guy could be some sort of Gotch Yarbrough test that the services and OU are failing, because I'm not completely sure he exists. 

That word count could have made Ian Boyd blush

• Haha 3

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

No it wouldn't, because he's a robot who doesn't feel human emotions like shame, or boredom. He also doesn't understand football. 

You mean most football geniuses wouldn't move RoJo to linebacker? Think you are out of your depth sir and probably need to play more Madden

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Not exactly recruiting related but hey Joe Mixon is still exactly the same woman-hating shitheel all those OU fans were assuring us he wasn't after his little suspension.

Shitty human being as are the $ooners who covered up his breaking that college girl’s face: Bob Stoops, judge, DA, restaurant owner, entire blowu fanbase

• 3 months later...
On 12/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, DanTheHorn said:

BJ Foster had decided before every play he was going to sit back and do shit. So indecisive is not what struck me about BJ Foster.

Yup, and then trot down the field and not make any fucking effort to tackle the ball carrier. That's why he got benched on huis senior day, kicked off the team and had to transfer to *checks notes* Sam Houston State to finish his final year of eligibility. I expected so much more from someone who is the cousin of Quentin Jammer and Quandre Diggs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/22/2022 at 6:21 PM, Enchubben said:

Props to @Constant for taking the jabs in stride yesterday but keeping receipts and coming back hard today. This is how it’s supposed to be done as a fan of a different university on this board.

Even when that university and its fans is primarily full of meth smoking, sister fucking, trailer living, flat-earth believing douches.

I personally think it’s too early to close the book on venables or this red flag ridden safety, so I’ll be interested in seeing if OU can keep it within 40 next year in Dallas. 

ou can keep it within 40 if Sark doesn't call off the dogs. like last year, Sideshow Bob missed a FG and Quinn overthrew an open Jordan so there was 10 more points. Definitely could have scored at least one more touchdown in the 4th, but wanted to give all the back ups some playing time. Game could have been anywhere from 59-66 to 0. 

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

ou can keep it within 40 if Sark doesn't call off the dogs. like last year, Sideshow Bob missed a FG and Quinn overthrew an open Jordan so there was 10 more points. Definitely could have scored at least one more touchdown in the 4th, but wanted to give all the back ups some playing time. Game could have been anywhere from 59-66 to 0. 

That is being generous if I being honest. Y’all were such a better team than us last year, and I don’t hold out much hope for this year as well. Y’all will be better, we will be worse. But the good news is we will be one year closer to getting rid of Skeletor, he is not the guy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

While Dabo and Clemson have the results to back up their methods but everyone who has tried to replicate their methods somewhere else have been absolute disasters, so come on Brett double down.

The Athletic recently put out a puff piece praising BV's no-visit policy.

Ari Wasserman: How Brent Venables changed my view on Oklahoma’s ‘no-visit’ policy

NORMAN, Okla. — How do you change someone’s mind? A good place to start is to have a rational and fair response to everything your opposition says during a debate. Brent Venables came ready. It’s not clear whether Oklahoma’s head coach was aware of my stance on his no-visit policy before I sat down with him in his office a few weeks ago, but he wasn’t going to lose this debate. The second “no-visit policy” came off my lips followed by an insinuation that it may not be fair to the high school prospects or effective for him, Venables leaned forward in his chair. It was go time. “What’s not fair about it?” Venables asked back. “Go take as many visits (as you want). Literally, I say that. Do you know how many people I’ve tried to talk out of committing?”

Here’s Venables’ view on commitment: When you tell Oklahoma you’re committed, that word carries the literal definition. That means no more visits, no more drama, no second-guessing. If you do any of those things, then Venables no longer views you as a committed member of the Sooners’ recruiting class. The player isn’t even listed on their board. Venables actively tries to talk recruits out of committing too soon by stressing the importance of the word commitment and what it means to him — all to avoid drama down the road. That’s his philosophy. That said, let’s get through the debate point by point. I’ll offer my opposing takes — some of them, to be fair, were for the sake of being devil’s advocate — and I’ll show you how Venables responded.

Point 1: How can you tell prospects who have committed to you not to visit other programs while simultaneously hosting visitors who are committed elsewhere?

Venables: If he is committed somewhere, quote-unquote and he is coming here, then he ain’t committed. I’ve already defined what commitment looks like to me. So he’s just dating. He put in a reservation. He is not committed. He must be open if he is coming to see Oklahoma. That’s how I look at it.

Point 2: Does it work out better for your program in the long run rather than just letting people visit? What was the point of the rule if at the end of the road you were going to try to sign Korey Foreman again in the future? (Venables was on the Clemson staff during the recruitment of Foreman, a top-five national prospect in the Class of 2021. Foreman committed to Clemson early in the cycle but still wanted to take visits elsewhere. As a result, he no longer was considered to a be Clemson commit. Months later, at the end of the cycle, Clemson was back recruiting Foreman again, but he signed with USC.)

Venables: Coach (Dabo) Swinney tried to talk him out of committing (the first time). He said, “You are going to be the No. 1 player, all of this pressure, let’s just keep recruiting and we have a great relationship now and we’ll bring you back in the summer and you don’t have to do it right now.” I don’t know if we were really recruiting him at the end.

Point 3: If you have that policy and someone decides they want to take a visit, isn’t it more likely that it will cause a strain on a relationship and guarantee you won’t get him rather than playing it cool and letting him visit elsewhere before eventually coming to the same conclusion that caused him to commit? To me, the only thing the no-visit policy does is guarantee you won’t get a prospect when he decides he wants to look around.

Venables: How can you manage your roster when the commitment doesn’t really mean anything? All it means: “I like you a lot.” So how can you save a spot? What about the next guy who wants to commit in that one spot? You have your top guy, but someone else wants to commit?

Point 4: Simply put, doesn’t this policy result in losing guys more often than you’d like?

Venables: I bet the numbers say that you don’t end up with them. I don’t know. What does commitment mean to anyone? What does it mean to you? That’s what’s fair to ask. What does liking someone and what does being committed to somebody mean to you? If a guy is committed here and is going around (to other places), I’m telling the coaches that guy isn’t committed. I’m not counting him anymore as committed, so make sure we’re recruiting as if we don’t have him.

Point 5: Hypothetical situation: A prospect commits then decides he wants to visit somewhere else — so he’s “decommitted” as a result — but then later wants to visit with you and commit again. Do you allow that?

Venables: I don’t know. We haven’t really had to deal with all of that.

Point 6: Was this a Clemson policy?

Venables: That’s not a Clemson policy. That’s a commitment policy. Who the hell wants to take a commitment and then it is OK for you to go and do whatever you want to do. It means one thing in recruiting and something else in life? What are we trying to teach people? That’s my thing. “So I can count you?” That’s the conversation everybody has. It’s not a casual thing. The only person who can accept a commitment here is me. I walk them through it. “Are you sure? Here is what it means.” I just want them, their family, their support system to have a very clear vision of what commitment means. I’m saying, “Go to as many places as you can,” because I want to be a program that sticks out and doesn’t blend in. I want us to stand out above everyone else. When they (try to commit) and I ask where they have been and they say, “I’ve only been to University X,” I don’t like that.

Point 7: If I were a head coach, I’d do everything in my power to make sure that at the end of the road that Korey Foreman signs with me and I’d be afraid of severing a relationship.

Venables: Let’s look at it this way. How about I got a guy that is absolutely undeniable. This is his dream school. He’s putting his name on it. He’s been waiting for this. He’s been, you know, “This is that program and I love this place so much, I don’t want to talk to anybody else and this where I’m destined to be,” that’s what I want.

Point 8: What if that committed player is way worse of a football player than the player who wants to visit elsewhere?

Venables: Well, let me ask you this: How does it typically work out with guys who have drama? Here’s what I learned a long time ago: Guys who have drama in recruiting are always guys who bring drama in the locker room. It’s a 100 percent hit rate, 100 percent. I’ve been doing this for 28 years. Drama in recruiting, drama in the locker room. Someone should do some research on that one. If they lack commitment to a process in recruiting, they are going to be one foot in on all the different areas — school, social life, weight room, locker room, game day. It takes a lot of toughness, maturity, belief to focus on being great. The best of the best are so busy chasing greatness that they don’t have time for distractions. So find your school, find the best spot for you and put your name on it when you know. And until you know, take as much time as you need. But the guys who are over here this week and there next week and over here and over there — that’s natural to a certain degree — but at some point, when is it going to be certain for you? “Oh, they offered $5,000 more in NIL. They had prettier girl hosts on the visit. They promised me a jersey number.” All of those things that don’t matter, you have to be willing to take a hard left turn because that is going to come into your locker room. And then the 2:10 team meeting, they have to have their butt on time, they are the guys (who) aren’t there. Where is Larry? Larry ain’t here. Larry forgot to wake up. Larry this, Larry that. That’s who Larry is going to be.

Point 9: Isn’t it just part of the job to deal with drama?

Venables: Drama. Drama. Drama. Prima donnas stand out quickly. Look for them and run the other way. If there are red flags, look the other way. Sam Bradford, he was pretty good, right? The No. 1 pick in the draft. He was an Oklahoma guy, a lightly recruited guy. First pick in the draft. … I don’t even talk about the no-visit policy until it gets down to the time (of committing). Go see all of your places and do a gazillion visits. I like that. But again, are you going to be a national signing day guy? Who can you lead from the back? Leaders lead from the front of the line. That’s what I want. Not the guys in the back.

Point 10: You don’t love national signing day guys?

Venables: I’d rather not. If you said, “What’s your preference to your coffee?” That’s not my preference. What’s the signing day guy all about? You can create your own signing day. What is more attractive? You can be on the same stage as 500 guys or you can pick your day on August 2 on ESPN or whoever it is with your family and teammates at school and my coaches and share in that moment with them. What’s it about? What’s wrong with that? There’s nothing wrong with your moments. Moments are good. Your salvation, who are you gonna marry, choosing a school, buying a house. Those are life-changing decisions and life-changing decisions. I don’t take any of it lightly.

There you have it. Because Venables spoke from the heart and consistently made good points, I’m willing to admit that he changed my mind. And my mind will stay changed under one condition: That this policy works the same way for everyone, three-star prospect or the No. 1 overall player in the country. But here’s the thing about Venables: He doesn’t care if he loses a really good player who doesn’t share his values. He doesn’t want the types of prospects in his locker room who can’t keep their word. He’s about culture and fit and putting the team first. That’s how he wants to run the show.

While there’s no question that having the no-visit policy may result in more lost commitments, it’s difficult to knock what Venables is trying to accomplish. And by doing it this way, he probably is creating a culture in which fewer people are going to want to transfer, too. Maybe that will amount to the type of culture that wins big.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

The Athletic recently put out a puff piece praising BV's no-visit policy.

Ari Wasserman: How Brent Venables changed my view on Oklahoma’s ‘no-visit’ policy

Ari Wasserman is a window licking troglodyte that regularly gets played into willing pushing narratives for other actors. He straight up gets conned into saying  pure uncut Texags copium because Loch and his ilk give him some access, I have no doubt that Venables just having a conversation with Ari and firing off a bunch of empty coaching platitudes was an out of body experience for Ari.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Ari Wasserman is a window licking troglodyte that regularly gets played into willing pushing narratives for other actors. He straight up gets conned into saying  pure uncut Texags copium because Loch Lorch and his ilk give him some access, 

FIFY

Edited by Tex Pete

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pdawg88 said:

Not OU good

Is that a sarcastic joke or are you being serious? Dude had you excited last summer. 

When I was looking at the class and asking around in late Jan about the OU class, this was a guy that showed all of the signs of being a washout. None of the local schools really wanted him at the end, he flashed earlier in his career and then others caught up. He’s the kind of recruit previous Texas staffs would have taken. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is that a sarcastic joke or are you being serious? Dude had you excited last summer. 

When I was looking at the class and asking around in late Jan about the OU class, this was a guy that showed all of the signs of being a washout. None of the local schools really wanted him at the end, he flashed earlier in his career and then others caught up. He’s the kind of recruit previous Texas staffs would have taken. 

ou twitter is acting like he wanted to go elsewhere with a clearer path to playing time..ESPECIALLY with all the "studs" that will be coming lol..  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Settle down, it was a joke. 

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good. You had me worried.

Guys, listen I am the biggest OU fan there is. I don’t hate Texas, I actually appreciate you guys. I love the rivalry, I love the shit talk. It’s fucking great, it’s what makes it fun. But I am the first one to admit we (OU) are fucked. We hired the wrong guy. We are about to have a miserable decade or so. That’s why my golf swing is improving, I’m catching bigger fish and seeing bigger deer. When we get rid of this fuck stick after he goes 6-7 again I’ll be back to be happy. But the forecast for Sooner football is very grim. See you boys on the links! 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

Guys, listen I am the biggest OU fan there is. I don’t hate Texas, I actually appreciate you guys. I love the rivalry, I love the shit talk. It’s fucking great, it’s what makes it fun. But I am the first one to admit we (OU) are fucked. We hired the wrong guy. We are about to have a miserable decade or so. That’s why my golf swing is improving, I’m catching bigger fish and seeing bigger deer. When we get rid of this fuck stick after he goes 6-7 again I’ll be back to be happy. But the forecast for Sooner football is very grim. See you boys on the links! 

You really think he can go 6-7 with THAT schedule? I mean, it's easily one of the softest schedules I have ever seen. You dodge Tech, KSU and Baylor, all of which you lost to last year and 2/3 are expected to finish in the top 4-5 of the conference. You landed Cincy as a new conference game, who lost their head coach and a lot of players to the portal. Your non-conference is a joke, too. I think even with shitty coaching and all the dick loving, you'll still stumble into more than 6 wins.

47 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

Who do you forsee (hoping to be) as the next HC? @Constant, @TXSooner518and @quigley please feel free to chime in. Not shit talking and want POVs on what y'all think heading into the redneck conference next season. 

1 hour ago, Pdawg88 said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Who do you forsee (hoping to be) as the next HC? @Constant, @TXSooner518and @quigley please feel free to chime in. Not shit talking and want POVs on what y'all think heading into the redneck conference next season. 

I think they will give Venables every chance to rebuild. He has been pretty good on the recruiting side so far, but at the end of the day I don't think it will matter. He just isn't the right guy for this stage of the SEC move. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go with an "SEC" hire out of the assistant ranks next unless they can money whip an established name. That seemed to work out ok last time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I was a Dan Lanning guy, with that said we can’t pry him away from Oregon. If he got fired tomorrow I would hire Matt Rhule. My son is a pretty good football player here in Oklahoma (not an 5 star or anything) and got invited to Nebraska for a visit. What they are doing there is unbelievable. I totally expect that guy to turn them around. The players believe what he is saying and are completely buying in. But there is a reason Venables wasn’t hired as a head coach and kept getting passed over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think he's been as strong on the recruiting front as the rankings imply. Industry people with no affiliation have said the same offline. If you look at the class they just signed, they landed like 3-4 legitimate difference makers, 3-4 additional potential starters and then like 15 guys that were very lightly recruited by other major programs. You can't even find footage on some of them.

Now either Venables and his staff - with Ted Roof, Jai Valia, Demarco Murray, Joe Jon Finley, Jerry Schmidt, Brandon Hall, Jeff Lebby, and Miguel Chavis involved - did some next level, Moneyball kind of evaluating that is about to take the country by storm, or they stocked up on a bunch of bread disguised as OKGs. 

OU's staff is pretty interesting to me. I would take Bo Davis over Todd Bates, but I could at least argue credibly that Bates is an excellent coach and he'd be an asset on UT's staff. The same is true for Bill Bedenbaugh, although I think Flood is better.

The rest of Venables' staff is hot, buttered trash. I would not want a single coach over a Texas coach and I would be happy to see all of them stay at OU forever besides Bedenbaugh and Bates.

Jay Valai - We know he flat out sucks. Bama hired him and fired him inside of a 365 day window.

Ted Roof - If you had told me let's play "Dead or Canadian" with Ted Roof, I would have chosen "dead". I honestly was shocked at his continued existence when I heard the news that he was joining Venables. And, he's not even that old. Dude is 59. He's just been on the college football coaching scrap heap for almost two decades and I lost track of him. This guy was one of the worst coaches in CFB history, going 6-45 over 4.5 seasons at Duke. When your high water mark as a HC is season 1 going 2-9, you are fucking terrible at your job. He got fired in a sequence of roles, the lowest point being a 1 year DC for a terrible Vanderbilt team where he was dropkicked out the door and wound up as an analyst at Clemson. 

Demarco Murray - the Steve Adazzio of TB coaches. He seems to actively alienate his own players and recruiting targets. 

Joe Jon Finley - mediocre lapdog of Lebby. At least smart enough to get out of College Station quickly. He's on the staff as much for being a lifelong sooner as anything.

Jerry Schmidt - only guys like Jeff Lebby and Kendal Briles can prevent Schmidt from having the title of biggest piece of human shit involved with CFB today. This is another guy who has been passed up in his profession. 

Brandon Hall - JAG buddy of Venables.

Jeff Lebby - A rape-enabling piece of human shit who is a very mediocre facsimile of his father-in-law, Art Briles. Lebby was one of the only members of the Baylor staff actually cited by name from rape victims for his role in what was happening. He was proactively threatening victims, playing stupid with the Baylor admin and Title IX workers, and guarding his players from accountability. Then, he proceeded to vehemently defend Art Briles and play stupid with the media and authorities when all of the accusations started to come to light. I mean, fuck this guy with a barbed wire dildo.

Miguel Chavis - A bible-thumping protégé of Venables who has never been a position coach anywhere except under Venables at OU. 

ATM's staff is easily more hateable and probably worse, but it's a close competition. Both staffs are comprised of inarguably unintelligent meatheads with very, very dirty pasts. ATM's is more experienced and OU's is more deeply intertwined with the school's football history and culture. It's a good time to be going up against both of these groups.

I'm really glad these two programs make it so, so easy to root against them.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think he's been as strong on the recruiting front as the rankings imply. Industry people with no affiliation have said the same offline. If you look at the class they just signed, they landed like 3-4 legitimate difference makers, 3-4 additional potential starters and then like 15 guys that were very lightly recruited by other major programs. You can't even find footage on some of them.

Now either Venables and his staff - with Ted Roof, Jai Valia, Demarco Murray, Joe Jon Finley, Jerry Schmidt, Brandon Hall, Jeff Lebby, and Miguel Chavis involved - did some next level, Moneyball kind of evaluating that is about to take the country by storm, or they stocked up on a bunch of bread disguised as OKGs. 

OU's staff is pretty interesting to me. I would take Bo Davis over Todd Bates, but I could at least argue credibly that Bates is an excellent coach and he'd be an asset on UT's staff. The same is true for Bill Bedenbaugh, although I think Flood is better.

The rest of Venables' staff is hot, buttered trash. I would not want a single coach over a Texas coach and I would be happy to see all of them stay at OU forever besides Bedenbaugh and Bates.

Jay Valai - We know he flat out sucks. Bama hired him and fired him inside of a 365 day window.

Ted Roof - If you had told me let's play "Dead or Canadian" with Ted Roof, I would have chosen "dead". I honestly was shocked at his continued existence when I heard the news that he was joining Venables. And, he's not even that old. Dude is 59. He's just been on the college football coaching scrap heap for almost two decades and I lost track of him. This guy was one of the worst coaches in CFB history, going 6-45 over 4.5 seasons at Duke. When your high water mark as a HC is season 1 going 2-9, you are fucking terrible at your job. He got fired in a sequence of roles, the lowest point being a 1 year DC for a terrible Vanderbilt team where he was dropkicked out the door and wound up as an analyst at Clemson. 

Demarco Murray - the Steve Adazzio of TB coaches. He seems to actively alienate his own players and recruiting targets. 

Joe Jon Finley - mediocre lapdog of Lebby. At least smart enough to get out of College Station quickly. He's on the staff as much for being a lifelong sooner as anything.

Jerry Schmidt - only guys like Jeff Lebby and Kendal Briles can prevent Schmidt from having the title of biggest piece of human shit involved with CFB today. This is another guy who has been passed up in his profession. 

Brandon Hall - JAG buddy of Venables.

Jeff Lebby - A rape-enabling piece of human shit who is a very mediocre facsimile of his father-in-law, Art Briles. Lebby was one of the only members of the Baylor staff actually cited by name from rape victims for his role in what was happening. He was proactively threatening victims, playing stupid with the Baylor admin and Title IX workers, and guarding his players from accountability. Then, he proceeded to vehemently defend Art Briles and play stupid with the media and authorities when all of the accusations started to come to light. I mean, fuck this guy with a barbed wire dildo.

Miguel Chavis - A bible-thumping protégé of Venables who has never been a position coach anywhere except under Venables at OU. 

ATM's staff is easily more hateable and probably worse, but it's a close competition. Both staffs are comprised of inarguably unintelligent meatheads with very, very dirty pasts. ATM's is more experienced and OU's is more deeply intertwined with the school's football history and culture. It's a good time to be going up against both of these groups.

a49NaDn3_700w_0.jpg