OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

4 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Pretty sure OU pulling three of the top five players from Cali in any given year is in fact a new thing. Less fucking retarded takes for the love of god. 

Well when you start with the first being a QB…it’s not that surprising.  Then add in the other 2 are that guy’s teammates and it’s really no surprise at all.  Makes for a cool headline though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Hopefully, this class will be different, but OU's history of signing early commits is pretty poor.

Some notable early commits who ended up elsewhere:
2018 Cam Rising (starting at Utah)
2019 Isaiah Spiller (starring at A&M)
2020 Drew Sanders (starting LB at Bama) and Jase McClellan (2nd in carries at Bama)
2021 Brock Vandagriff (Georgia)
2022 Luther Burden (tbd)

All were recruited to the offense, just like the 7 current commits in the 2023 (Sanders was recruited as a TE).

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2021 at 3:52 AM, quigley said:

Hopefully, this class will be different, but OU's history of signing early commits is pretty poor.

Some notable early commits who ended up elsewhere:
2018 Cam Rising (starting at Utah)
2019 Isaiah Spiller (starring at A&M)
2020 Drew Sanders (starting LB at Bama) and Jase McClellan (2nd in carries at Bama)
2021 Brock Vandagriff (Georgia)
2022 Luther Burden (tbd) -- gone in Novemeber

2023 Four out of the seven already gone

All were recruited to the offense, just like the 7 current commits in the 2023 (Sanders was recruited as a TE).

Wow

How prescient was this post? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I saw him and I know his team was outclassed against Westlake but he didn't seem like a future top flight QB. I'm not going to say he seems like he sucks, but he seems like #47 national overall ranking from 247 is more than a little optimistic.

We're going to learn what Lebby strategy is with QB recruiting. He offered a kid from NoCal also.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:46 AM, kobefan824 said:

Guys im very nervous about the 2023 oklahoma class...i dont think we will be able to compete with them over the next 10 years. Unfortunately, unless they lose grinch and riley it may be worse than the last 10 years

They already have malachi nelson and treyaun webb and it looks like they will pull makai lemon, brandon innis, jalen hale, deandre moore, luke hasz as well as good chance with Lebbeus overton whose dad I guess played there? 

We need to do something!

Oops.

13-0 Branding Iron level fail. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Probably Arkansas. He is pretty small for a TE.

Lots of things against OU for this guy right now:
- Wide angle: OU doesn't recruit Tulsa area well historically. New OU staff is supposedly making a concerted effort to get Okla kids to OU.
- Medium angle: Pretty ideal for the HB role that OU's used well going back ~ 15 yrs but apparently Lebby isn't interested in that.
- Macro: His mom is an Arkansas alum who has been strongly pushing the Hogs. OU has a poor history of recruiting Tulsa.

A lot of this is TBD.
Will OU really focus on Oklahoma recruiting more?
Historically, of the top players OU's recruited (4-star or better) they've gotten ~ the same number from CA and OK.
Hit rate for those recruits is ~ 40% from both states, surprisingly. In the short-term, I think Riley-SC and Lanning-Oregon are going to make it harder to pull top guys from CA so the focus on OK makes sense.

What does OU's offense look like next year? Who knows!
They have about the same number of experienced WR (3) as TE (2, one of whom is a transfer) so TE may get a disproportionate number of targets.

Will a high school kid like his mom a year from now?

5 minutes ago, quigley said:

Lots of things against OU for this guy right now:
- Wide angle: OU doesn't recruit Tulsa area well historically. New OU staff is supposedly making a concerted effort to get Okla kids to OU.
- Medium angle: Pretty ideal for the HB role that OU's used well going back ~ 15 yrs but apparently Lebby isn't interested in that.
- Macro: His mom is an Arkansas alum who has been strongly pushing the Hogs. OU has a poor history of recruiting Tulsa.

A lot of this is TBD.
Will OU really focus on Oklahoma recruiting more?
Historically, of the top players OU's recruited (4-star or better) they've gotten ~ the same number from CA and OK.
Hit rate for those recruits is ~ 40% from both states, surprisingly. In the short-term, I think Riley-SC and Lanning-Oregon are going to make it harder to pull top guys from CA so the focus on OK makes sense.

What does OU's offense look like next year? Who knows!
They have about the same number of experienced WR (3) as TE (2, one of whom is a transfer) so TE may get a disproportionate number of targets.

Will a high school kid like his mom a year from now?

Would you say Tulsa kids historically go Poke or somewhere else?

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Would you say Tulsa kids historically go Poke or somewhere else?

Top Oklahoma kids generally go to OU or out-of-state UNLESS there are extenuating circumstances. Below is a list of 4-stars from Oklahoma over the last 5 years who didn't go to OU. During this time, 15 guys fit that criterion. OkSt's got 5.

Out of those four, 2 had extenuating circumstances (*) and 2 were overrated as 4-stars (^), and 1 can't remember at all and he flamed out in 2 years.

* OkSt (Pokes offered his brother when his brother is FCS level)
UF, TxTech (overrated)

* OkSt (wants to play DB but OU and A&M said LB only)
Ark (wants to play RB but better at DB)
^ OkSt (best offer)

Ark, Mizzou (overrated), Neb (overrated)

Mich, Ark
^ OkSt (overrated; best offer)

Ohio St, UTx (Casey Thompson :))
OkSt (no recollection of the guy; he portaled to Wazzau in 2019)

Just now, quigley said:

Big fan of fossil fuels, race riots, or both?

Hah! Hills, art deco architecture (plus the Philbrook), fun restaurants, breweries and bars. I just like the vibe - a bit of Asheville-on-the-Arkansas. It's a good counterpoint to how spraaaawling and flat OKC is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hah! Hills, art deco architecture (plus the Philbrook), fun restaurants, breweries and bars. I just like the vibe - a bit of Asheville-on-the-Arkansas. It's a good counterpoint to how spraaaawling and flat OKC is.

And superspreader events! I was wondering if that was you!

Texifornia.jpg

• Fuck You 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:32 PM, quigley said:

Top Oklahoma kids generally go to OU or out-of-state UNLESS there are extenuating circumstances. Below is a list of 4-stars from Oklahoma over the last 5 years who didn't go to OU. During this time, 15 guys fit that criterion. OkSt's got 5.

Out of those four, 2 had extenuating circumstances (*) and 2 were overrated as 4-stars (^), and 1 can't remember at all and he flamed out in 2 years.

* OkSt (Pokes offered his brother when his brother is FCS level)
UF, TxTech (overrated)

* OkSt (wants to play DB but OU and A&M said LB only)
Ark (wants to play RB but better at DB)
^ OkSt (best offer)

Ark, Mizzou (overrated), Neb (overrated)

Mich, Ark
^ OkSt (overrated; best offer)

Ohio St, UTx (Casey Thompson :))
OkSt (no recollection of the guy; he portaled to Wazzau in 2019)

I’ve always wondered why Arkansas historically has never recruited Tulsa much when it’s only 2 hours away. Pittman has changed that since he’s been here, which makes sense since he grew up in Grove I guess. Aren’t going to get many that OU wants but still plenty of talent to pick from.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Gohogs14 said:

I’ve always wondered why Arkansas historically has never recruited Tulsa much when it’s only 2 hours away. Pittman has changed that since he’s been here, which makes sense since he grew up in Grove I guess. Aren’t going to get many that OU wants but still plenty of talent to pick from.

OU ends up producing a quite a bit of D1 talent that ends up sprinkled throughout the B12 footprint. Most of it isn't "top 25 good" however, and it's spread really thin so there may be diminishing returns to hitting Oklahoma hard.

OU coaches may have caught on. The Venables staff has said it is going to recruit Okla more and appears to be making a more concerted outreach to at least the big schools.

18 hours ago, Gohogs14 said:

Well, Arkansas was coached by morons so there's that.  They thought they weren't allowed to recruit.  Look at Kolar at Iowa State.  Norman kid but three star recruit.  OU didn't offer.  I think Okie State did but he ended up at Iowa State and is an NFL player.  Arkansas never offered.  

Edited by Aqua Buddha

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Our person in the same role. Those balloon setups and that frilly loveseat are very much her HomeGoods aesthetic

I think Billy Napier is a leader on this front. He's figured out that, in addition to money, college football players also enjoy being around young women. The non-football staff employs a large contingent of young, attractive female staffers. Napier gets credit from these new hires for his "inclusion" and "forward thinking." 🙄

• blacklab changed the title to OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going