Internet rabbit hole. Mexico's cartel war.

crash_davis

45 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

like young black kids glorifying gang banger life? do they have spanish rappers rapping about separating people's body parts and shit? if not, they need to. that would complete the glorification into pop culture.

Oh yes, yes they do. Before that was a thing they had Corridos (tejano style songs that glorified, originally, heroes like Emiliano Zapata and Villa, and then Chapo. Lots of corridos about that asshole). Now they have rap that samples tejano music (like polka beats, no shit). Shit is ever-where.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to Colombia last February as part of a Spanish immersion trip, we spent a week in Medellín and I didn't want to come home. I never felt unsafe for a second, and the people I interacted with were all incredibly friendly. There's just a vibe or energy you get just from being there, it was hard to explain but I couldn't get enough of it. I'm really tempted to go back even with Covid but it wouldn't be the same. Really hoping to go by the late summer or fall. I think they've totally left the drug thing behind, nobody really speaks of Escobar anymore.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I was there at the same time and had the same experience. I did Cartagena, Medellin, Salento, and Bogota. Cartagena was too touristy for my taste. Medellin was definitely the highlight. Did y'all stay in Poblado?

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Only tangentially related to this topic, you know what I think a really underrated film was? Sicario (2015) with Benecio Del Toro and Josh Brolin:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884/

Yea it's a good film... Probably got lost due Narcos on Netflix being the chat of  cartel/narco films... For which btw I like the Narcos Mexico version more. 

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

like young black kids glorifying gang banger life? do they have spanish rappers rapping about separating people's body parts and shit? if not, they need to. that would complete the glorification into pop culture.

They do glorify the gangster lifestyle, but I’m not sure to what extent.  The story of El Pirata comes to mind.

8 hours ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

What the heck are mestizo characteristics?

And Carlos Slim Helu would like to have a word with you, my good man. 

All those blonde, blue & green eyed Mexican nationals in Stone Oak out front should’ve told ya. Most mexicans are mestizo, mixed Spanish & native heritage. But the more brown you are the more “mestizo” or indio you are seen as. The more white the more Spanish you are obviously. Huge, huge, huge, huge divide in hispanic culture between fair skinned and dark skinned people. Think America but x5. Seriously. Light skinned people are all over the news/movies/telenovelas, the brown people not so much until recent years. Same when it comes to the business world and everything else. My relatives from Mexico adored me and would straight up say they liked me more than my sister because I looked whiter. I always got more money from them on bdays/Christmas than she did. My parents eventually had to tell them to give us equal amounts or fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

All those blonde, blue & green eyed Mexican nationals in Stone Oak out front should’ve told ya. Most mexicans are mestizo, mixed Spanish & native heritage. But the more brown you are the more “mestizo” or indio you are seen as. The more white the more Spanish you are obviously. Huge, huge, huge, huge divide in hispanic culture between fair skinned and dark skinned people. Think America but x5. Seriously. Light skinned people are all over the news/movies/telenovelas, the brown people not so much until recent years. Same when it comes to the business world and everything else. My relatives from Mexico adored me and would straight up say they liked me more than my sister because I looked whiter. I always got more money from them on bdays/Christmas than she did. My parents eventually had to tell them to give us equal amounts or fuck off.

Very much on target...   Growing up  down in the RGV as an Anglo kid and now looking way back to those days,  I kind of realize why some gals that I dated or even just had a regular friendship, mothers and grandmothers went out of the way to treat me well.   Some of them grew up in Mexico or came here as first generation and they saw the lighter skin Mexicans as the more wealthy and educated...  So here comes this Anglo kid albeit not blonde/colored eyes (I favor my Greek side of my family and  look like one of those fair skinned Mexicans if anything and tan well too)  and I guess they thought I was some rich prick  who went to McAllen Memorial  who could be a ticket to keep their daughter/granddaughter to stable and secure life.  LOL!  Funny thing is most of the girls I dated or where just good friends with who fit this are now pretty successful on their through their own carieer paths ... But yea a few did end up marrying real Anglos...  Blond and colored eye types too.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

The more white the more Spanish you are obviously. 

Or not. That’s a common misconception. 

The Umayyad Caliphate ruled Spain for quite a while, along with other Arab/Amazhigi folk. 
My people can be traced back to Sevilla on one side and Úbeda on the other. Both are in Andalusia (Al-Andalus). 
Needless to say, like all Mexicanos, I have relatives that fair skinned with red hair and blue eyes and relatives with mucho melanin, black hair and dark eyes. 
Just depends on which genotype and phenotype they acquired in the wonderful mestizo pool. 
Dark characteristics are dominant. Doesn’t necessarily mean you are more Inca, Azteca, Maya. It could be your Arab, Amazhigi genes letting their freak flag fly.
Now, as far as what is valued among our mestizo culture, that’s a different conversation. And you are spot on. And as you said it’s slowly dwindling. A lot of that is based on historic and ethnic ignorance. Sprinkle in some self-loathing in there too.

An intriguing phenomenon are my brethren in northern New Mexico. Most identify as Spanish and not Mexican. However, ask them for a tortilla and they will not give you an egg/potato quiche.

Nomenclature can be confusing. What you are genetically and how you identify culturally, ethnically may not be the same.

I will use myself as an instrument. I’m American (nationality), Mexican (culturally), Mestizo (ethnically) and Tejano (by the grace of God, subculture). 
As humans we are are all mixed, some more than others. It’s math. Humans have been traveling and having sex with each other for thousands of years.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Or not. That’s a common misconception. 

The Umayyad Caliphate ruled Spain for quite a while, along with other Arab/Amazhigi folk. 
My people can be traced back to Sevilla on one side and Úbeda on the other. Both are in Andalusia (Al-Andalus). 
Needless to say, like all Mexicanos, I have relatives that fair skinned with red hair and blue eyes and relatives with mucho melanin, black hair and dark eyes. 
Just depends on which genotype and phenotype they acquired in the wonderful mestizo pool. 
Dark characteristics are dominant. Doesn’t necessarily mean you are more Inca, Azteca, Maya. It could be your Arab, Amazhigi genes letting their freak flag fly.
Now, as far as what is valued among our mestizo culture, that’s a different conversation. And you are spot on. And as you said it’s slowly dwindling. A lot of that is based on historic and ethnic ignorance. Sprinkle in some self-loathing in there too.

An intriguing phenomenon are my brethren in northern New Mexico. Most identify as Spanish and not Mexican. However, ask them for a tortilla and they will not give you an egg/potato quiche.

Nomenclature can be confusing. What you are genetically and how you identify culturally, ethnically may not be the same.

I will use myself as an instrument. I’m American (nationality), Mexican (culturally), Mestizo (ethnically) and Tejano (by the grace of God, subculture). 
As humans we are are all mixed, some more than others. It’s math. Humans have been traveling and having sex with each other for thousands of years.

I find your handle to be problematic, based on your identity. Ever heard of blackfishing? Just Kidding, if I wanted to really stir up trouble with you I’d say “why are you overcomplicating your identity when clearly you are LATINX” 

Edited by DonkeyCigars

19 hours ago, Orale said:
On 3/2/2021 at 1:16 PM, iodeac said:
I went to Colombia last February as part of a Spanish immersion trip, we spent a week in Medellín and I didn't want to come home. I never felt unsafe for a second, and the people I interacted with were all incredibly friendly. There's just a vibe or energy you get just from being there, it was hard to explain but I couldn't get enough of it. I'm really tempted to go back even with Covid but it wouldn't be the same. Really hoping to go by the late summer or fall. I think they've totally left the drug thing behind, nobody really speaks of Escobar anymore.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I was there at the same time and had the same experience. I did Cartagena, Medellin, Salento, and Bogota. Cartagena was too touristy for my taste. Medellin was definitely the highlight. Did y'all stay in Poblado?

Believe so, we stayed in two really nice hotels there, in the middle of the week we stayed at a cabin-type place in the mountains and it was amazing.  No desire to go to Cartagena since it's so touristy and a cruise ship destination that old people can just check off on their list of countries visited.  I heard Salenta was really nice, and I know several people who live in Bogotá and would love to go there someday. There definitely seems to be kind of a rivalry between people who live in Bogotá and Medellín

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Yeah lived up there for a bit, most will speak a weird Spanglish dialect, and are overtly, adamantly NOT MEXICAN. Lots of Bacas. The food sucks up there imo.

3 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Yeah lived up there for a bit, most will speak a weird Spanglish dialect, and are overtly, adamantly NOT MEXICAN. Lots of Bacas. The food sucks up there imo.

Yeah, have a lot of close friends from there. They are referred to as norteños, and the “old” families are Lujan, Martinez, Chavez, Trujillo... to name a few. 
Respectfully, disagree on the food. Tomasita’s in Santa Fe, beef and bean burrito with green. 
Charlie’s Spic and Span in Las Vegas, with their homemade tortillas. 
La Cocina in Española, best lamb costillas I’ve had.

what i've learned.

argentines consider themselves the best latinos. cubans think they are.  colombians think they are. venuzuelans they they are.

but most all latinos agree that mexicans are the 2nd worst. puerto ricans are the worst. 

at least that's what every latino except mexicans and puerto ricans tell me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Yeah, have a lot of close friends from there. They are referred to as norteños, and the “old” families are Lujan, Martinez, Chavez, Trujillo... to name a few. 
Respectfully, disagree on the food. Tomasita’s in Santa Fe, beef and bean burrito with green. 
Charlie’s Spic and Span in Las Vegas, with their homemade tortillas. 
La Cocina in Española, best lamb costillas I’ve had.

On the food, agree to disagree! There's a reason ABQ is 90% chain restaurants I think.

The little town I lived in up there had 5 or 6 surnames making up 90% of the phone book. Not super friendly to gringo outsiders. When I was there a game warden was murdered up in the Pecos wilderness...

edit: me la pela OU

Edited by GringoSalado

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

what i've learned.

argentines consider themselves the best latinos. cubans think they are.  colombians think they are. venuzuelans they they are.

but most all latinos agree that mexicans are the 2nd worst. puerto ricans are the worst. 

But which of this group have the most hot tempered women?  

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

what i've learned.

That’s pretty funny. 
Hilarious as it sounds, there’s actually a kernel of truth of how we browns rank other browns, based on nationality (melanin count, aside).
Most of it is just good fun and a lot of teasing between the browns.
You are off though, my good man. 
Ask a Mexican about Nicas, Ticos, Guatamaltecos, Salvadoreños, etc and you will get a colorful conversation.

Or ask about the boludos, uruwashos, cafeteros, etc. Pinche sudacas 🤣

What’s even more intriguing is the “ranking” within a country. We have colorful nicknames for people, depending on the city they are from. Ask a chilango (DF) about someone from chiapas.
They call my people “regios (short for regiomontanos, because of the nearby mountains) or “codos (because we are tight with our money),” as we are from Monterrey on my momma side. 

Or ask a caraqueño about a maracucho (los marabinos dicen... como esta la verga?). 

• 10 months later...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/18/journalists-exposing-mexico-corruption-drug-violence-murdered

Two journalists exposing Mexico’s corruption and drug violence murdered within one week

Now a third:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lourdes-maldonado-journalist-killed-mexico/

In 2019, a journalist told Mexico's president, "I fear for my life." She was just found shot to death in Tijuana.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, cmontexas said:

Legend. The last night of his life he was on stage getting ready to perform, someone handed him a note saying he was going to die after the show. He read it, put it in his pocket and sang his heart out for the whole set. Got murdered a few hours after. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So z-40s nephew el Huevo head of CDN was arrested in Nuevo Laredo and deported in matter of hours at Tijuana bridge. Turned over to FBI on sealed indictments.
Hes an American citizen so Mexico deported him asap.
Family threatened govt office workers in nuevo laredo trying to get a forged birth certificate for him to nullify the deportation. Didnt work.
Marines, army national guard all got him.

• Drool 1

35 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

So z-40s nephew el Huevo head of CDN was arrested in Nuevo Laredo and deported in matter of hours at Tijuana bridge. Turned over to FBI on sealed indictments.
Hes an American citizen so Mexico deported him asap.
Family threatened govt office workers in nuevo laredo trying to get a forged birth certificate for him to nullify the deportation. Didnt work.
Marines, army national guard all got him.

Reason # 1052 to avoid Nuevo Laredo.

Sane people that need to cross into Mexico in that area use Colombia or Eagle Pass.

My in laws have family in the middle of Mexico on small ranches and said their families had to flee because the cartels rode in and took over. Then the military came in and... 

Negotiated a window for the people to come back and collect their belongings. Such a shit show down there. 

The US could chunk a ton of it's reliance on China if it could make deals with Mexico and Central American countries to go in with military action and wipe out the cartels with prejudice and set up manufacturing hubs. Could make the government officials there filthy rich while also curtailing the immigrant/refugee problem fleeing all these drug cartels violence and coming to the US. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

The US could chunk a ton of it's reliance on China if it could make deals with Mexico and Central American countries to go in with military action and wipe out the cartels with prejudice and set up manufacturing hubs. Could make the government officials there filthy rich while also curtailing the immigrant/refugee problem fleeing all these drug cartels violence and coming to the US. 

Nope, sounds nice though.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Rafa Caro Quintero “captured”. Wonder if Mexico will actually extradite him.

That was the whole reason they went after him finally. They could’ve gotten him many times over the years, they didn’t get him now just to not extradite him. Its a move for good pub.

“But there should be no illusions about its actual impact. Caro Quintero was no longer the influential figure who founded the Guadalajara Cartel. His new group, the Caborca Cartel, wielded strong influence in Sonora but never came close to breaking out nationally or to really threatening Sinaloa Cartel interests.

For Falko Ernst, senior Mexico analyst for International Crisis Group, this was a “largely cosmetic arrest.” Instead of Mexico showcasing innovative anti-drugs policies, this showed a return to the “failed kingpin strategy instead of comprehensive solutions. It seems to further support Mexican federal government’s operational preferences,” wrote Ernst on Twitter.”

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

That was the whole reason they went after him finally. They could’ve gotten him many times over the years, they didn’t get him now just to not extradite him. Its a move for good pub.

They only let him slip away
Out of kindness, I suppose

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Mexican Journalist Killed Hours After Publishing Story About Local Officials' Involvement in Disappearance of 43 Students in 2014

A journalist was shot dead Monday afternoon in southern Mexico, authorities said, shortly after posting online about the disappearance eight years ago of 43 students from a nearby area.

Fredid Roman, who published his work on various social media pages and contributed to a local newspaper, was found dead in his car in the city of Chilpancingo, the capital of Guerrero state, the local prosecutor's office said Monday evening.

The Disappearance of the 43 Students

The case of the 43 students from Guerrero, who went missing in 2014 after commandeering a bus to head to a protest, is considered one of the worst human rights disasters in Mexican history.

In September 2014, the students, from a teacher's college in Guerrero, were traveling in two buses they had commandeered to stage a protest in Iguala, a city two hours away by car, as reported by CNN.

Sometime between the night of September 26, 2014 and the following morning, the buses were intercepted by local police and the federal military forces in Iguala, according to authorities at the time. The bullet-riddled buses could later be seen in the city's streets.

The windows had been shattered by the bullets and there was blood everywhere. And 43 students had gone missing. Other students who were on the buses later spoke of a night of horror. Armed police officers and soldiers stopped the buses and suddenly opened fire, they said.

It is not yet known what happened to the students, but the government investigation concluded that 43 of the students were taken into custody and were handed over to the local Guerreros Unidos ("United Warriors") drug cartel and probably killed. The remains of only three students were discovered and identified.

"There is no evidence that they are alive," said the deputy director of Mexico's Human Rights Commission, Alejandro Encinas of the missing students. "To the contrary, all testimony and evidence suggest they were cunningly killed and disappeared."

The case was forced back into the spotlight last week when a truth commission branded the atrocity a "state-sponsored crime" that involved agents of various institutions. Roman was the founder and editor of La Realidad de Guerrero, a news page reporting on local events.

A few hours before his death, Roman published a long Facebook post titled "State Crime Without Charging the Boss," in which he mentioned an alleged meeting between four officials at the time of the students' disappearance, including former attorney general Jesus Murillo Karam.

Murillo Karam, who oversaw the cover-up of the students' disappearance, was arrested after the publication of the truth commission report last week, while dozens of warrants were issued for suspects including military personnel, police officers and cartel members.

Roman was the 15th Journalist Killed in Mexico This Year

Roman's assassination adds to the record-breaking tally of 15 journalist slayings this year in Mexico, according to some local news outlets. Outside of a warzone, Mexico is now considered the most dangerous country for reporters with 150 journalists murdered since 2000, according to Reporters Without Borders.

Roman was killed just one week after independent journalist Juan Arjón López was found bludgeoned to death in the northern border state of Sonora, across the border from Yuma, Arizona. The area of Sonora where his body was found, San Luis Rio Colorado, has been rocked by drug cartel violence in recent years.

Mexican journalists have been targeted by drug cartels and other members of organized crime as well as small town officials and elected officials with political motivations. Independent journalists and reporters running small news outlets often face the greatest danger.

In early August, another journalist was killed along with three others inside a beer shop in the central Mexican state of Guanajuato. However, it is unclear if she was targeted for being a member of the press or another reason.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/mexican-journalist-killed-hours-after-publishing-story-about-local-officials-involvement-66405

• 4 months later...