Would This Be the Best Camera Angle for Football?

Vic Mackey

I am not sure the history of the game in terms of tv and why they picked the sideline view they picked but you miss so much down the field.This is the standard camera view for any football game (unless you change it) because you can see all the routes develop down the field and how the defense is playing. They did this view for a little while for a primetime game and Ioved it. The only way we really see what happens down the field is during replays.

149700152_4167253699987953_7772143334715

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I like it for the line play/ pulling guards/ defensive stunts/ lateral quickness and agility especially in the Flats.  That particular angle does not capture the entire width of the field though.

Maybe it is the hockey fan in me, but I enjoy end zone seats for the reasons described above.  One challenge would be the depth perception on a deep play.

Edited by slorch

I like your idea, but uh...you're historically not sure "why they picked the sideline view they picked"???  

Their first broadcasted game was 1939.  So for about 70 years...to get the view you're talking about, instead of the sideline view, they'd have to rig up industrial construction crane cables the length of the whole field in the middle.  Just the one cable, not this cool swooping around 360* shit.  And it would just gondola-style ferry a 200 pound cameraman with a 150 pound tripod dolly and TV camera with winch operators on either end trying to move him back and forth into position.  Once or twice a game, he or the camera or the tripod would fall off and paralyze a player...but the fucking vantage point would be fantastic! 

21 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This play right here....would fucking suck from the end zone view.  I know, I had it.  I realize camera closer but still.  

The sideline view doesn't have to go away.  It's great for 3rd and short, 4th and short, or any goal line plays.  But I agree that the view in the OP should be the standard and not the exception.

You guys also gotta realize we are on a board with folks who probably are a bit more in depth in sports and football than your average bear.  Yea I love to watch line play and route development etc.   I was an O-lineman, got an 8th grader who has been a left tackle so sure I watch that stuff, appreciate it, and realize that is where the game is won and lost.  Your average football watching dipshit is gonna be pissed at the All 22, low angle shot on 2nd and 3 when they run play-action and throw a 50 yard pass because "dangit how fur waz that?"

• Hook 'Em 1

Put another way, probably 85% of football watchers have no idea what an A gap is, or a 3 technique, or a 9 route vs a 6 route vs a 4 route is, what distinguishes cover 2 vs a cover 3, blah blah blah.  So while we might dig it, your average spare could give a shit.  

Did the Cowboys win?  No...well then fuck Dak.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

You guys also gotta realize we are on a board with folks who probably are a bit more in depth in sports and football than your average bear.  Yea I love to watch line play and route development etc.   I was an O-lineman, got an 8th grader who has been a left tackle so sure I watch that stuff, appreciate it, and realize that is where the game is won and lost.  Your average football watching dipshit is gonna be pissed at the All 22, low angle shot on 2nd and 3 when they run play-action and throw a 50 yard pass because "dangit how fur waz that?"

So much is lost with the camera angle we have. I would say if you want this sideline camera, then zoom much further out. We have widescreen TVs now so it would actually be better. This isn't basketball where all the action is happening right in front of the camera. I would love to see the battles the receivers and defenders have down the field. Instead of the camera just panning down and we see a WR wide open, I'd rather see how it unfolded in real time than having to see it on replay. Let us have the option to watch games on the All 22 type camera or the one I posted.

To go to other sports, I would say baseball's camera is not the best suitable to see all the action. But I get it, since it's always about the pitcher, catcher and batter for every pitch. But every time the ball is hit, so much is lost. This is why baseball is infinitely better in person than on tv.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hmmm said:

I’d love access to a camera view that includes all 22, or whatever it’s called. Wouldn’t want that as the primary camera though. How do coaches get this footage in the first place. 

Pretty sure that it's provided by the league, and some time ago that film was made available to anyone via subscription.

Put another way, probably 85% of football watchers have no idea what an A gap is, or a 3 technique, or a 9 route vs a 6 route vs a 4 route is, what distinguishes cover 2 vs a cover 3, blah blah blah.  So while we might dig it, your average spare could give a shit.  

It is harder to really learn the game when you cannot see it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It is harder to really learn the game when you cannot see it.

Exactly. If you have never seen a game in person, especially at the pro level, you don't know all the action you are missing on every play. And the chess game being unfolded. There are so many camera angles that would be better than the one we have now. I feel this angle is antiquated and was meant for tvs in the 60s and 70s. The game and fans have evolved since then. So many are into analytics that would appreciate it. All we see is the aftermath of what happened when the camera finally pans down field. We see a QB looking and finding his guy but not what he is looking at. This would be equivalent to to basketball zooming in so far, we can't see anything happening outside of the guy who has the ball. All the cuts, screens and movement. Plus with the behind the QB angle, we can see the holes open and what the RB is seeing when he gets the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am not sure the history of the game in terms of tv and why they picked the sideline view they picked but you miss so much down the field.This is the standard camera view for any football game (unless you change it) because you can see all the routes develop down the field and how the defense is playing. They did this view for a little while for a primetime game and Ioved it. The only way we really see what happens down the field is during replays.
149700152_4167253699987953_7772143334715874352_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Abs-Y_Ub0F0AX8U-71s&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=c7a2eb5f5fc96f1a61c7de2cd32216f6&oe=605F1F6E
That was in 2017, two weeks after the Falcons/Patriots game had heavy fog and NBC was forced to use that angle because it was the only way to see anything. It got positive reception and they used it a bunch during that Raiders game. You still see it occasionally.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Having watched from the sideline stands and from the end zone, I would say that “No!”, that’s not the best/better angle. 

Sideline is superior. 

No shit. I hate watching games in person from the end zone. The sky cam is fine because it’s close to the action (as opposed to end zone cameras), but I really like All-22 from a sideline perspective. 

Objectively, the skycam view is better for seeing plays as they develop, how the defense is aligned, how they react, how the line blocks, etc. I like it as an option for sure. 

But the traditional view is in place for reasons described above (technical limitations that only relatively recently were overcome). So you have generations of football fans (including me) who are used to watching it that way and who have trained themselves to follow the action that way. It’s also more replicative of being in a good seat at the game itself, where endzone seats are not favored because it’s hard to follow action at the other end of the field. 

I look at this like the QWERTY keyboard. There are objectively better keyboard layouts that allow you to type more efficiently. Some people train themselves to use them. But most of us learned on the QWERTY and see only a minimal upside in switching, combined with a period where you’re less efficient at the task as you try to learn the “better” system. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

I can't stand the skycam view for football.  It feels like a Blair Witch Project/ riding in a boat/ disorienting bullshit.

For those saying sideline is best, some of us have said why we like the endzone view better.  Why is the sideline view better IYHO, beyond, "Cuz that's wut I like, dammit!"

15 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

At some point I bet we have the option for this view or the traditional view and we could switch back and forth mid game if we wanted 

I watch football on my desktop because I like having the box score on the other screen (dual 4k, motherf*cukers).  I would like that "behind the offense" view and a 2nd 'behind the defense" view."

Objectively, the skycam view is better for seeing plays as they develop, how the defense is aligned, how they react, how the line blocks, etc. I like it as an option for sure. 
But the traditional view is in place for reasons described above (technical limitations that only relatively recently were overcome). So you have generations of football fans (including me) who are used to watching it that way and who have trained themselves to follow the action that way. It’s also more replicative of being in a good seat at the game itself, where endzone seats are not favored because it’s hard to follow action at the other end of the field. 
I look at this like the QWERTY keyboard. There are objectively better keyboard layouts that allow you to type more efficiently. Some people train themselves to use them. But most of us learned on the QWERTY and see only a minimal upside in switching, combined with a period where you’re less efficient at the task as you try to learn the “better” system. 

How did you train yourself to watch the entirety of the field that you cannot see?
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, South Austin said:

"He gets it!'

"He didn't get it!"

"Oh fuck you, Dan.  I'm 77 years old."

Something like that.

That play still (almost) pisses me off. The line judge (L) with a clear view of the ball carrier spots the forward process a full yard short, yet he was overruled by the head linesman (H) who had multiple bodies shielding him from view. Dan Fouts sure seemed to agree. Keith Jackson was confused. 

Yeah, the drama of the measurement was dramatic, but that fucker could have stolen the game right there. 

Back to the OP, I tend to agree, but I’d like the viewing angle to be a few degrees higher to give a better feel for depth. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

I was told there would be no math

Wish it was a play by play... first and second down madden view. First down ‘needs’ on later downs and GL plays it’s either sideline or split screen.

Speaking of, I miss the fell out of true dual tuner split screen on TVs. Why’d they go away

• Like 1

Most watchers just want to see the QB and follow the ball...

I would like an All-22 option. We know it exists. We dont know why it's not presented.

(or do we?)

Wish it was a play by play... first and second down madden view. First down ‘needs’ on later downs and GL plays it’s either sideline or split screen.

Speaking of, I miss the fell out of true dual tuner split screen on TVs. Why’d they go away
Cheap mass production and HDMI. Want more streams? Buy more screens.

I would very much enjoy splitting my screen into 4 streams. Now I have a research project.

Behind the O or D should be the standard. It would be sweet to have the "home feed" be behind your team always. It makes you feel like your in the game much more. Some college games were done this way a couple years ago, no announcers, just crowd noise. During commercial breaks just hovering around. No replays.

Seriously makes you feel like you are at the game, much more enjoyable than announcers and too many graphics.

8 hours ago, slorch said:

For those saying sideline is best, some of us have said why we like the endzone view better.  Why is the sideline view better IYHO, beyond, "Cuz that's wut I like, dammit!"

Because from the side, it’s much easier to tell whether a ball carrier reached the line to gain or the goal line than it is from behind the team with the ball. 

21 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Love watching football games with non-fan dipshits. They thought I was a sage because I’d yell “completion!” as the QB was winding up to pass and the receivers were off camera, and be right 90% of the time. They didn’t get that if he’s throwing it quick it means the first read is open. 

21 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Put another way, probably 85% of football watchers have no idea what an A gap is

Well, since you brought it up, what's with the A gap?

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think it's the perfect angel because I enjoy watching the linemen

Yeah, the Guardian Angel Cam is pretty cool.  About time we eliminate major injuries to star quarterbacks.

Edited by clapclapclap
It's a pretty genius move by the owners to protect their investments.
  • Like 1