Superman Reboot : Ta-Nehisi Coates

Michael Knight

Deadline has confirmed that author Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing a Superman reboot feature for Warner Bros and DC, which J.J. Abrams is producing under his Bad Robot label.

Hannah Minghella will serve as producer. No plot yet and no attachments despite the fact that we’ve heard how Henry Cavill is eager to get back into the cape.

Coates is attached to a Ryan Coogler directed drama feature entitled Wrong Answer about a math teacher in Atlanta who is scandalized when he looks to get funding for his school by altering his students’ test scores. Michael Jordan is attached to Wrong Answer. 

As the national correspondent for The Atlantic, Coates covered cultural, social and political issues, specifically that of African Americans and white supremacy. His 2014 cover story for that publication, “The Case for Reparations,” started a national conversation on the subject. It was named the “Top Work of Journalism of the Decade” by New York University’s Carter School of Journalism Institute.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/superman-reboot-in-the-works-at-warner-bros-with-ta-nehisi-coates-writing-j-j-abrams-producing-1234701922/

Edited by Michael Knight

• Michael Knight changed the title to Superman Reboot : Ta-Nehisi Coates
56 minutes ago, jetsfan76 said:

According to everything I've seen, Cavill is done as Superman.

From what I saw, he was willing to come back and do the big DC get togethers, but DC really fucked around and found out.  They have a massive identify crisis on their hands.  A crisis with no end, an infinite crisis if you will.

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

From what I saw, he was willing to come back and do the big DC get togethers, but DC really fucked around and found out.  They have a massive identify crisis on their hands.  A crisis with no end, an infinite crisis if you will.

Might sound crazy, but what about a Cam Newton casting as Superman as a start of his second career a la Dwayne Johnson?

24 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Cam did the Superman celebration and has a great build/size for a prototypical Superman is why I thought it would be a nice gesture.

Don't disagree, but that logic opens the door for Dwight Howard to take the role as well 

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I read Between the World and Me. Having Coates attached to this is a “representation matters” and an opportunity to do a black or black-centric Superman? I know this guy only from a) race relations and studies/books and b) his work and point of view with the Black Panther stuff

Enjoyed his nonfiction work with The Water Dancer. I think he’s clearly a comic book geek and creative story teller. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Might sound crazy, but what about a Cam Newton casting as Superman as a start of his second career a la Dwayne Johnson?

It's still J J Abrams though.  Coates could write an amazing script, and he probably will since he's a huge comic book nerd, but it's still lipstick on a pig.

Also, Johson had the benefit of being a pro wrestler, where acting/timing (in a sense of reading a crowd, not a defense) is a just as important as anything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I read Between the World and Me. Having Coates attached to this is a “representation matters” and an opportunity to do a black or black-centric Superman? I know this guy only from a) race relations and studies/books and b) his work and point of view with the Black Panther stuff

Michael B. Jordan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, YChang said:

Enjoyed his nonfiction work with The Water Dancer. I think he’s clearly a comic book geek and creative story teller. 

I’ve only read Between the World and Me and while it was well-written, I didn’t finish thinking wow what a creative story teller. That is probably due to the non-fiction rigidness versus being able to creatively write and story build. I’d be very shocked if his involvement did not include an overt race angle (in the narrative, I mean, above and beyond “representation matters”), as that has been his focus. But maybe they did just hire him because he’s a comic book nerd, either way I’m intrigued and curious to see what they put out and what the end result is!

22 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I’ve only read Between the World and Me and while it was well-written, I didn’t finish thinking wow what a creative story teller. That is probably due to the non-fiction rigidness versus being able to creatively write and story build. I’d be very shocked if his involvement did not include an overt race angle (in the narrative, I mean, above and beyond “representation matters”), as that has been his focus. But maybe they did just hire him because he’s a comic book nerd, either way I’m intrigued and curious to see what they put out and what the end result is!

I do suggest giving the Water Dancer a try! But, the black American experience is a clearly a theme in his works. That’s part of his DNA as a writer and story teller. 

Superman was king in the 70s and 80s but he doesnt have a dimensionality required of today’s superhero. 

doesnt matter who directs it, who acts in it, how many times they reboot it, superman movies will continue to lag behind more mortal superheros. 

Superman was king in the 70s and 80s but he doesnt have a dimensionality required of today’s superhero. 

doesnt matter who directs it, who acts in it, how many times they reboot it, superman movies will continue to lag behind more mortal superheros. 

Yep. He’s boring as fuck.

Deadline has confirmed that author Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing a Superman reboot feature for Warner Bros and DC, which J.J. Abrams is producing under his Bad Robot label.

Hannah Minghella will serve as producer. No plot yet and no attachments despite the fact that we’ve heard how Henry Cavill is eager to get back into the cape.

Coates is attached to a Ryan Coogler directed drama feature entitled Wrong Answer about a math teacher in Atlanta who is scandalized when he looks to get funding for his school by altering his students’ test scores. Michael Jordan is attached to Wrong Answer. 

As the national correspondent for The Atlantic, Coates covered cultural, social and political issues, specifically that of African Americans and white supremacy. His 2014 cover story for that publication, “The Case for Reparations,” started a national conversation on the subject. It was named the “Top Work of Journalism of the Decade” by New York University’s Carter School of Journalism Institute.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/superman-reboot-in-the-works-at-warner-bros-with-ta-nehisi-coates-writing-j-j-abrams-producing-1234701922/

I love congratulatory articles. When one is written about me, I want it known that I started the conversation about the wheel, evolution, and police reform.

It just depends on how it is done. Quite frankly seeing Superman go into God Mode should be apart of the film. Neo did the same in Matrix (1) and it worked.

Having him in God Mode for 1 battle is too little. 2-3 times (depending on duration would work).

The problem is that much like Batman, there are too many origin reboots in too little time. Imagine if they decided to reboot and recast Ironman? It’s too damn soon.

No one wants another reboot. The story and over-reliance upon cgi and shitty editing was the problem with the recent DC movies (excluding Nolan’s work).

The only memorable scene from Batman vs Superman was the scene where Supe just levitates and goes red eyed for a moment and it almost appears that he is about to eye-nuke Batman. The idea of the Cult of Superman was cool as an idea so they dropped it of course.

Lex was just too smarmy (Jesse Eisenberg) and he doesn’t have the charisma that Gene Hackman had.

Henry was fine as Superman, it was the movies that were the problem.

Someone write me a Superman movie 3rd act where he's fighting the antagonist in a compelling battle, but without massive property damage or kryptonite.
I don't think it's possible.

Place it at the edge of the solar system, his powers get weaker? Where he rescues humans kidnapped by alien slavers/anal probers

Yellow lanterns

Part of the attraction of the George Reeves show was that he also solved crimes. Do some of that.

I think you need some sort of mystery in the plot where once superman figures out what is going on he goes full God mode and lays waste to the perp. Throw in some psych stuff about him second guessing himself or even realizing he got the wrong guy and you have your human character with unlimited physical ability that actually makes a decent movie.

Jesus. Everything live action with Superman sucks.  He such an inherently boring character.  Just like Batman, he needs to be a spice, not a main dish. Other than a couple of Superman specific movies, even the superb DC animated shows tend to use him sparingly.

Just like the Incredible's perfected the Fantastic Four, the Boys has already given us a Superman who is 1000x more interesting than the original.

• Hook 'Em 1

Superman and Superman II were great. The balance between Clark Kent and Superman was portrayed perfectly.

III had a great scene in the junkyard with evil Superman vs Clark Kent but the rest of the movie was very meh.

IV The Quest for Peace was awful.

Superman Returns was filled with nostalgia but was overall a forgettable movie.

Man of Steel was a good origin movie and I thought it was an alright movie up until they destroyed an entire city.

BvS was okay but more because of Batman and Wonder Woman.

Justice League was bad for multiple reasons, we will see how this remake does. Superman showed up and singlehandedly beat the bad guy in about 30 seconds.

You're right about the animated DC universe. They don't use him as much and generally have a good balance of Superman and the rest of the Justice League.

The various television series have succeeded because they've focused more on Clark Kent and not Superman just wrecking shop.