Texas @ Texas Tech 11am on CBS

SDG

Looks like we were 4 of 25 in 2nd half...might have missed one...so one week we set the record, imo, for free throw imbalance in a game between top 20 teams, and now, imo, we set another record, lowest fg percentage made in a half, 16 %, when two top 20 teams play....I believe this proves with objective data that coaching is the problem.   

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Tell me why we lost?
332693401df957247dbf4800d281ec6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we shot worse overall, worse at the stripe, half our shots were from deep even though we were under 30% from there, we were outrebounded, they had Chris Beard, and we had Shaka Smart.

• Hook 'Em 3

First game I’ve watched from the start,so blame me. But what pissed me off is that really reminded me of shaka-ball of past. I know some games this year it has seemed like we got away from it but that was squarely it start to finish. Yes, we need more from gb3 but the fouls at the end of the clock, making their defense look impenetrable, random “Kobe” 3’s at terrible times...no I’m not worried about a 7 seed, we will not go 0-3, but I hope to not see more of that. 

So tired of the “guards are our strength bullshit”. 

Last 2 mins of TX offense- every possession 

1. Ramey good drive, misses open layup 

2. Coleman drives right, turnover on the dribble 

3. Ramey drives and dishes to Simms, FTs - good play

4. Jones contested 3 off the dribble - little iron 

5. Ramey air balls a 3

6. Coleman drives left and is blocked. 

that’s fucking it. Fire the fraud Shaka now please. 

Guards and Shaka are the problem. No more than two on the court at anytime would do wonders. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Shaka gets outcoached a lot. He rarely gets out-talented, but he routinely gets outcoached. I'm not an insider, but all I ever hear from the guy is a bunch of New Age metaphysical garbage about diffuse abstractions like connectivity, being the best version of yourself for each other, and similar nonsense. When the other team doesn't have a legit post player (nobody taller than 6' 7" except some stiff from Serbia who never sees the floor) and you have freaking three of them, that would seem to suggest a gameplan of selling out to score inside. Either Shaka didn't comprehend that and plan accordingly, or he did and his team blew him off. His guys seem to do what they feel like doing anyway, so I'm not sure concepts as quaint as a gameplan are even worth talking about. He's had six years, tons of legit talent, several lottery picks, and he is in danger of leaving without ever having won a tournament game here. Pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 6

the further away we get from 2010 without having a competent coach, the more we diminish our program. UT hoops was good for the decade of the aughts, and that's it. we haven't had a star player in the league since KD. it's like we're trying to erase all of the good that was done for this program from 99-2010.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Watching Mike Boynton coach against Lon Kruger heading into OT right now. Makes me wonder what a real game day coach could do with the Longhorn roster this year.

Bedlam -- Great offensive execution during last few minutes regulation, and all of overtime.  Fun game to watch.

SHAKA SUCKS !!!

Edited by LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

unlike in football, we don't have to have the coaching version of a tesseract in hoops.  he doesn't have to play ceo, manage the cigars, out-recruit saban, and winning is not hard.

all he has to do is be competent and actually coach.

when does the new arena open?

March 2022  I think ??

Hopefully SHAKA won't ever coach a game for the HORNS at Moody Center...

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The announcers knew exactly what they were talking about. They were very critical of Texas’ O and movement away from anything inside, and Shaka’s decision to be very conservative with reinserting Brown in the game. They basically were saying the same things we say but thinly veiled criticism of Shaka. 

Carter knows exactly what Texas fans think of Shaka just from my texts alone. He’s not gonna air it out on CBS though. 

1. reading through this thread and the Tech board; both fanbases hated the announcers in the first half and then kind of warmed up to them in the 2nd half.  I hate Dickie V( as an announcer, not a person) and some of the duos Tech games have had as of late sucked mightily in comparison to today.  The "This guy really wants to win" mantra was wearing on me.   They all fucking want to win, otherwise, they'd be in a rec league at the Y.

2. Thought y'all had it going on in the first half with a good mix of outside shots and your bigs.  Then in the second half, it was ,"Merry Christmas, Texas Tech!!! All of our players think they are Steph Curry now... " I would have kept pounding it inside until Tech proved they could stop it.   They never had to prove that today.  Santos-Silva is a poor man's Barkley, but the bigger guys can work him, and the help D tends to get called for fouls.   To me, departing from that strategy in the 2nd half helped Tech.

3. Honestly thought the officiating favored Tech. This thread barely even mentiosn it because of bigger fish to fry, but the bailout call on McClung jumping into the defender... damn I hate that play on any level.  As the game unfolded, I kept thinking, the Big Xii is trying to make up for their buttfucking of Tech in one game.   I don't want that.  Just call the motherfucking game.  That is frustrating the hell out of everyone.  Stop anticipating calls.  Stop having the refs play a part in the outcome.

I agree with those who are frustrated with the results of Texas' team basketball.  Whatever the opposite of 'synergy' might be, Shaka achieves it.  The sum is less than the totality of talent on your team.  I have watched a couple of your non-Tech games and it's the same shit all the time.  A couple players start thinking they can bomb threes, a few dumb TOs, and they whole squad develops amnesia concerning the inside ability the team has.  Also, agree that Brock Cunningham should shoot less.  He's a freaking high energy, disruptor.  He needs to have that Worm mentality.  "I'm gonna fuck up your team flow and overall game.  I don't need to score."

Edited by slorch

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

1. reading through this thread and the Tech board; both fanbases hated the announcers in the first half and then kind of warmed up to them in the 2nd half.  I hate Dickie V( as an announcer, not a person) and some of the duos Tech games have had as of late sucked mightily in comparison to today.  The "This guy really wants to win" mantra was wearing on me.   They all fucking want to win, otherwise, they'd be in a rec league at the Y.

2. Thought y'all had it going on in the first half with a good mix of outside shots and your bigs.  Then in the second half, it was ,"Merry Christmas, Texas Tech!!! All of our players think they are Steph Curry now... " I would have kept pounding it inside until Tech proved they could stop it.   They never had to prove that today.  Santos-Silva is a poor man's Barkley, but the bigger guys can work him, and the help D tends to get called for fouls.   To me, departing from that strategy in the 2nd half helped Tech.

3. Honestly thought the officiating favored Tech. This thread barely even mentiosn it because of bigger fish to fry, but the bailout call on McClung jumping into the defender... damn I hate that play on any level.  As the game unfolded, I kept thinking, the Big Xii is trying to make up for their buttfucking of Tech in one game.   I don't want that.  Just call the motherfucking game.  That is frustrating the hell out of everyone.  Stop anticipating calls.  Stop having the refs play a part in the outcome.

I agree with those who are frustrated with the results of Texas' team basketball.  Whatever the opposite of 'synergy' might be, Shaka achieves it.  The sum is less than the totality of talent on your team.  I have watched a couple of your non-Tech games and it's the same shit all the time.  A couple players start thinking they can bomb threes, a few dumb TOs, and they whole squad develops amnesia concerning the inside ability the team has.  Also, agree that Brock Cunningham should shoot less.  He's a freaking high energy, disruptor.  He needs to have that Worm mentality.  "I'm gonna fuck up your team flow and overall game.  I don't need to score."

Solid stuff "slorch"... agree that the foul late in the shot clock where McClung jumped into the TEXAS defender was bogus.  B12 refs seem to really dislike Shaka -- they don't respect him for whatever reason and so late in games TEXAS just doesn't get many calls in their favor.

But the HORNS poor offense also contributes by doing a terrible job creating contact late in games -- so it's harder for them to get to the foul line when TEXAS really needs productive scoring possessions. 

That's just bad coaching by Shaka -- no other way to say it.

the mcclung call was a bullshit.   I knew we were losing after that. that said, the refs had nothing to do with this loss at all.  As with most losses this is all on our new age bs spewing AAU "coach".  I get you have to say some of that, every coach does, but its all this guy has. what he will do every year is well known.  with an excellent team he will go .500 in conf and lose in the 1st round.  with an average team he will fail to make the tournament.

Cunningham has obviously been told if he is open(there is a reason he is open) he can shoot.  thats on the coach as well. I'm good with shoot one early and then pump and drive unless the shot clock means you have to shoot.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, PSalinas said:

Shaka gets outcoached a lot. He rarely gets out-talented, but he routinely gets outcoached. I'm not an insider, but all I ever hear from the guy is a bunch of New Age metaphysical garbage about diffuse abstractions like connectivity, being the best version of yourself for each other, and similar nonsense. When the other team doesn't have a legit post player (nobody taller than 6' 7" except some stiff from Serbia who never sees the floor) and you have freaking three of them, that would seem to suggest a gameplan of selling out to score inside. Either Shaka didn't comprehend that and plan accordingly, or he did and his team blew him off. His guys seem to do what they feel like doing anyway, so I'm not sure concepts as quaint as a gameplan are even worth talking about. He's had six years, tons of legit talent, several lottery picks, and he is in danger of leaving without ever having won a tournament game here. Pathetic.

I think the bolded part is the key.   Tons of talent, but too many of them are more concerned about shit talking and showboating than they are winning games.  That comes back to coaching too, of course.  Recruit guys who actually want to play college ball and maybe some games will be won.  I know it's the curse of the 1 and done era, but sheesh.

19 hours ago, PSalinas said:

I think the bolded part is the key.   Tons of talent, but too many of them are more concerned about shit talking and showboating than they are winning games.  That comes back to coaching too, of course.  Recruit guys who actually want to play college ball and maybe some games will be won.  I know it's the curse of the 1 and done era, but sheesh.

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

"Tons of talent, but too many of them are more concerned about shit talking and showboating than they are winning games."

Part of the problem and is caused by a coach's mentality and the culture at the school. It also describes Texas basketball and football for the last 10 years.

Yeah, I should have clarified that I meant  the team overall.

Your point is valid at that particular juncture because the basket had a-lid on it until his shot.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, TexArcher said:

they had Chris Beard, and we had Shaka Smart.

FIFY

On 2/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

So tired of the “guards are our strength bullshit”. 

Last 2 mins of TX offense- every possession 

1. Ramey good drive, misses open layup 

2. Coleman drives right, turnover on the dribble 

3. Ramey drives and dishes to Simms, FTs - good play

4. Jones contested 3 off the dribble - little iron 

5. Ramey air balls a 3

6. Coleman drives left and is blocked. 

that’s fucking it. Fire the fraud Shaka now please. 

Guards and Shaka are the problem. No more than two on the court at anytime would do wonders. 

The guards would be our strength if they had a coach that made them play disciplined. Ramey would be a stud CBB player if he ever received real coaching. Instead, Shaka lets the guards waste a ton of possessions on his shitty, perimeter motion offense. 

On 2/28/2021 at 9:37 AM, Samson's Wig said:

This is total bullshit. All the guys on this team care and work hard. They’re being let down by their coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2