2021 ACL Fest - it’s back baby!

MidTexHorn

7 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’m going weekend 2 and it says they will be delivered on Thursday. So if you haven’t already received at least a shipping notice, I would contact them. Especially since customer service everywhere is slower due to shortages. May take them a bit longer than usual to sort things out

Ok, thank you.   I am going weekend two as well.   I did get the shipping notice last week.   Guess I should have read it more carefully.   I'll look for them at the end of the week then. 

Ah, what could have been..... The beer, the wine, the red bull, the crowds and of course the music....

image.png.dd34788d2264caba1c22a8817a317fcb.png

I just unloaded my Weekend-1 tickets at a small loss.  

I was on board even with weak headliners, the uncertainty if it will actually happen and the confusion about if full vax gets you out of testing, but the straw that broke the camels back was:  "Information related to masks will be released closer to the festival dates. "   This is F-ing Austin. Very real chance that they make masks a requirement. The stupid-ass city might even require masks for performers.  

Looking forward to 2022

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

This. Strange reason to unload tix, Oxdead, you don’t think they’re gonna have the ability to enforce that for 60,000 people do you?

IMO, they'll have some type of "mask required" roped off areas close to the stage and maybe some smaller areas farther back.  likely to be ignored, especially in the closer to the stage areas which are generally the younger crowd.

The bigger reason to unload tix is the lineup rather sucks.

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

IMO, they'll have some type of "mask required" roped off areas close to the stage and maybe some smaller areas farther back.  likely to be ignored, especially in the closer to the stage areas which are generally the younger crowd.

The bigger reason to unload tix is the lineup rather sucks.

Yeah it’s not the best. But definitely some I want to see. It’s more just to do something “normal” again. 

C3 security/staff will not be enforcing a mask mandate.  APD on-duty/off-duty overtime security folks could likely be doing so though.  If you plan on "holding", be aware.  If you're like me, old and hanging in the back lawn on nothing but vodka and sunshine...it's no worries...just come and enjoy the music.  

My bigger concern is the entry each day.  They are already looking at being understaffed for most aspects of the festival and the shitshow of even just pretending to be checking for test results/vaccine cards is gonna make it a disaster.  Hopefully it's ironed out by Sunday of W1 and all of W2.  

I'll start this annual dorky ritual for my W2 lineup:

FRI: Vincent Neil Emmerson, Maggie Rose, Heartless Bastards, coin-toss between Hinds and Durand Jones & the Indications (convince me of one, I'm honestly all ears), Bleachers, Finneas, Black Pumas, dinner, and then 1 hour of George Strait before biking home.  

SAT:  Jade Bird, the Tender Thinfs, Charley Crockett, Girl In Red, Remi Wolf, coin-toss between Future Islands and Phoebe Bridges (I think some folks mentioned this same dilemma upthread), dinner, Modest Mouse, Dayglow, and be done early 

SUN:  late start, Mattiel, White Reaper, Band of Horses, Marc Rebillet, Greta Van Fleet, Jon Batiste, Duran Duran, then home.

Edited by Lobo

Mask policy just announced:

As required by City of Austin Order 20210811-033, masks will be required in areas of Zilker Park where it is difficult to maintain social distancing, including on festival shuttle buses, entrance lines, areas closest to the stages, and in the limited indoor areas at the festival, including our on-site merchandise store.  Free masks will be available at each entry gate. 

https://www.aclfestival.com/safety

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

Mask policy just announced:

https://www.aclfestival.com/safety

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Health/COVID/Order No. 20210811-033 Mask to be Safe at City Facilities.pdf

SECTION 1. Face Coverings. An individual over the age of two is REQUIRED to wear a face covering while present on or in City property unless expressly exempted in Section 2 or by a City policy applicable to the premises or facility.

SECTION 2. Exceptions. A face covering is not required for:

(a) any individual with a medical condition or disability that prevents wearing a face covering;

(b) any individual while the individual is eating or drinking, or is seated at City property to eat or drink;

(c) any individual while the individual is (i) exercising outdoors or engaging in physical activity outdoors and (ii) maintaining a safe distance from others not in the same household;

(d) any individual while the individual is driving alone in a City-owned vehicle;

(e) any individual obtaining a service that requires temporary removal of the face covering for security surveillance, screening, or the need for specific access to the face, but only to the extent necessary for the temporary removal;

(f) any individual while the individual is in a swimming pool, lake, or similar body of water;

(g) any individual who is voting, assisting a voter, serving as a poll watcher, or actively administering an election, but wearing a face covering is strongly encouraged; (h) any person who is actively providing or obtaining access to religious worship;

(i) any individual while the individual is giving a speech for a broadcast or to an audience; or

(j) any individual while temporary removal of the face covering is necessary for communication by or with an individual who is hearing impaired; or

(k) any individual who is alone, or in the presence of only members of the same household or residence, in a separate room or single space that is not an indoor common area.

SECTION 3. Enforcement.

(a) If an individual fails to comply with this rule, an employee responsible for the city property shall make a verbal request that the individual wear a face covering and offer a face covering, if available, or an alternative method to obtain the services provided at the city property. Page 2 of 4 Mayor's Order No. 20210811-033

(b) If after the employee complies with subsection (a), an individual refuses to wear a face covering or comply with the alternative method to obtain services, the employee shall ask the individual to leave city property for the remainder of the day.

(c) If an individual refuses a request to leave city property, the employee should seek the assistance of security or law enforcement.

(d) An employee shall follow Use of City Property Rules and Administrative Bulletin Number 11-4 (Handling Inappropriate Conduct by the Public on City Property) in the event an individual refuses to wear a face covering and engages in conduct t prohibited by Use of City Property Rules.

(e) A person who violates this Order violates Austin City Code Section 2-6-24. A violation is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000. A violation of this Order may be enforced by the filing of a probable cause affidavit alleging the criminal violation with the appropriate court or by issuing a citation to the person violating, that contains written notice of the time and place the person must appear before a magistrate of this state, the name and address of the person charged, and the offense charged.

I realize that there is n fucking way to enforce this any more than the no-weed policy...that said, seem like you can just have a drink in your hand and claim exception via 2.b  ?? !!

Strictly speaking, no exception would seem to apply to singers at ACL, unless you consider what they are doing as giving a 'speech'.     I would love to see them try and enforce that one on performers.

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

You’re seriously over thinking this

Agreed.

13 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I realize that there is n fucking way to enforce this any more than the no-weed policy...

This is as much thought as you need to give to this.  If festival attendees have been able to smoke weed in broad daylight without issue since this event started, I seriously doubt APD is going to go throughout the crowds telling people to mask up or write them up if they don't.

The two main stages are already about half-built (structurally, not audio).  The one stage on the south side of the park is also coming along in earnest.  They've got about half the merch and beer tents up as well.  Obviously they won't top anything off until the last minute for wind purposes.  After 20 years, I think they've finally got this thing down pretty turn key.  They build a lot of this shit in total, in that area over under MoPac and literally pull it into place within the park.  I remember some years where they'd basically shut the whole park off after Labor Day and build piecemeal for a whole month and then need two weeks for breakdown and load-out.  It's a lot smoother the last 3 years or so (obviously last year was the shortest build time in history).  

I think Mayor Adler is playing whiny bitch again (he does it so well).  Up until a couple of weeks ago, he really did not want ACL to happen and have the small risk of it being a super-spreader event.  So of course, completely by coincidence, some road work/bike path/sidewalk path is happening from 2244 into the park and on Cesar Chavez.  He'll chalk it up to being safety improvements for ingress/egress from the park......but it could have easily been done over the summer, now it's completely fucking with load-in/build traffic.  /rant

I still don't know which weekend I get a wristband for.  Hoping for weekend 2 since I'm not going to OU and the lineup is stronger.  

As for you W1 folks...what do you got for Sunday?  I don't see anything worth a shit until 4:30p...but any under-the-radar recs?  

Edited by Lobo

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

The two main stages are already about half-built (structurally, not audio).  The one stage on the south side of the park is also coming along in earnest.  They've got about half the merch and beer tents up as well.  Obviously they won't top anything off until the last minute for wind purposes.  After 20 years, I think they've finally got this thing down pretty turn key.  They build a lot of this shit in total, in that area over under MoPac and literally pull it into place within the park.  I remember some years where they'd basically shut the whole park off after Labor Day and build piecemeal for a whole month and then need two weeks for breakdown and load-out.  It's a lot smoother the last 3 years or so (obviously last year was the shortest build time in history).  

I think Mayor Adler is playing whiny bitch again (he does it so well).  Up until a couple of weeks ago, he really did not want ACL to happen and have the small risk of it being a super-spreader event.  So of course, completely by coincidence, some road work/bike path/sidewalk path is happening from 2244 into the park and on Cesar Chavez.  He'll chalk it up to being safety improvements for ingress/egress from the park......but it could have easily been done over the summer, now it's completely fucking with load-in/build traffic.  /rant

I still don't know which weekend I get a wristband for.  Hoping for weekend 2 since I'm not going to OU and the lineup is stronger.  

As for you W1 folks...what do you got for Sunday?  I don't see anything worth a shit until 4:30p...but any under-the-radar recs?  

my thought on Sunday W1 is White Reaper, Cam, Band of Horses, Greta van Fleet, St Vincent, Duran Duran.  you start at Honda at 2:30 and basically walk to other end and back in a bit of a circle.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Homercles said:

Anyone got thoughts on parking, possibly on Barton Springs?  The best thing ever was paying Shady Grove ahead of time for passes, could drive out of that alley at night back onto  Lamar and avoid all the mess around the festival.  

Always see places advertising down there, so I’m sure we can find a spot...but prefer the security of knowing we have a place reserved.  

For a $40 donation, the Austin High Band is offering parking at Austin High on Saturday October 2nd.  Your donation will help our student musicians.  You can purchase in advance here and guarantee a spot:

http://www.ahsmaroonband.org/acl

We will also be offering onsite sales on the day of the festival, until the two lots are full.  We have a smaller west side lot with an entrance near the rowing dock and a larger east side lot near the Mopac exit.

Other Austin High groups are offering parking on other Fridays and Saturdays during the festival.  There is no parking on Sundays.

Dropoff is a freakin' breeze, you can be at the VRBO stage within 5 minutes.  

Pickup this year shouldn't be that hard.  Everyone in our age range should watch George Strait for an hour and leave to go home at 9:00p.  I'll be biking home, but line for rideshare should be 5 minutes deep.  Saturday, leaving at 8:30p...no line whatsoever.  Sunday will be a bit crowded after Duran Duran.  This is a midday festival this time around.  No reason to wait in line an hour for a Lyft so you could hear the last two songs from Tyler the Creator...whoever the fuck that is.  

I'm jinxing it though, I don't think Imma get a pass because of Covid.

10 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

are the ride share spots a shit show trying to get an uber out at night?

Yes.  I volunteer in the parking lot every year and see the same thing, at least what happens on the east side lot.  Drop-off is easy but pick up in the dark sucks.

People leave the festival and wander across the Mopac pedestrian bridge, then try to find *their* Uber somewhere on the road between Austin High and the lake.  Lots of Ubers are parked looking for their customer.  Lots of people walking around with their phone lights on.  The road turns into gunk for 30 minutes.

You can park in our east side lot and reach your car, exit the school in about a minute, turn right to go downtown or left to get to Mopac.  I haven't seen what goes on on the west side but you are kinda past much of the gunk.  You have to drive under Mopac and out to Lake Austin Blvd, and from there you can go left on LAB or take two rights to get on southbound Mopac.

22 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

are the ride share spots a shit show trying to get an uber out at night?

Yes.  The past couple years I've walked to the area of Fifth Street near El Arroyo to pick up an uber there.  It's worth the walk.  But I'm guessing uber rides are going to be expensive this year.

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Significant rain chances in weekend forecast.  That sucks.

I was there for the mudfest in 2009, and believe it was the first year of dillo dirt.  Smelled like low tide at the pier and I wore USAF BDU pants, cheap boots, long socks and long sleeve shirt.  

Got a tiny bit of that radioactive crap on my ankle and it itched for two days.  Left my boots in the garage for a week, and ended up tossing them as they were growing mold.  

Thus I’ve always wondered how this girl felt…I took this picture 12 years ago and still occasionally think about the itchy hell she went thru.  

48C09280-6380-491D-86DA-0209BCF7DC90.jpeg

Edited by Homercles

I was there for the mudfest in 2009, and believe it was the first year of dillo dirt.  Smelled like low tide at the pier and I wore USAF BDU pants, cheap boots, long socks and long sleeve shirt.  

Got a tiny bit of that radioactive crap on my ankle and it itched for two days.  Left my boots in the garage for a week, and ended up tossing them as they were growing mold.  

Thus I’ve always wondered how this girl felt…I took this picture 12 years ago and still occasionally think about the itchy hell she went thru.  

48C09280-6380-491D-86DA-0209BCF7DC90.jpeg.4b76d655b21f19cfb4a694ad6d708a1d.jpeg

That was a great year.

Spontaneous idea to bring my 14 year old music lover down for the second weekend. What have I gotten myself in to! I am an ACL veteran but coming with a teenager for her first festival could be amazing/challenging. I did go ahead and get weekend passes because we both like a lot of the 2nd-3rd tier bands for each day. Lodging last minute probably being the biggest hurdle at this point.

Any advice for a Dad wanting to have an amazing experience with his kid for their first festival???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:56 PM, Homercles said:

48C09280-6380-491D-86DA-0209BCF7DC90.jpeg

Dammit I’m trying to decide what shoes to wear. Thinking of going with minimalist sandals just for the easy to clean factor. 

Spontaneous idea to bring my 14 year old music lover down for the second weekend. What have I gotten myself in to! I am an ACL veteran but coming with a teenager for her first festival could be amazing/challenging. I did go ahead and get weekend passes because we both like a lot of the 2nd-3rd tier bands for each day. Lodging last minute probably being the biggest hurdle at this point.

Any advice for a Dad wanting to have an amazing experience with his kid for their first festival???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I need some help here as well. My 16 yo loves Phoebe Bridgers and I’ve loved modest mouse for a long time so I said let’s do it. Last time I went was 15 years ago and I said I was too old at that point.

Do most people bring chairs or blankets to hang out on when not watching acts? Is the food and drink really marked honor is it reasonable? Any tips for marking your space and holding it?

From 2005-2010, single and young, I hated on chair peeps as I wanted to see it all.  Once I turned 30, and got married, that changed.  

I bring a folding chair, go with a group, get there early-ish and we stake out a place where the shade will be starting about 2p.  Put them in a circle, away from high traffic areas, and no one will fuck with them.  Usually someone is at home base taking a break anyways.  Bring your valuables with you. 

Now…lay a blanket 30’ away from a big stage, dead center?  Put your chairs smack dab in a corridor where thousands walk between stages?  Try to setup in that alley between the beer tent and bar/rock island?  All bets are off.  

• Like 1

Homercles has it right.  Best place to set up chairs is along the grove of oak trees to the right of what they are now calling the Lady Bird Stage. 

It's a great place to take a break from the afternoon sun, and if there's a band playing at that stage you can still hear it pretty well from your seats in the shade.  People for the most part don't fuck with other's setups, but still take your valuables when you wander out.

With this weekend's weather forecast, I'm not sure how much of a premium will be put on a place in the shade.  And if it's going to be a mudfest, I may just leave the chairs behind.