2021 ACL Fest - it’s back baby!

MidTexHorn

Guest Lobo

Y'all can go for the boobs, I'm going for the under-butt.  I've missed it dearly during Covid-19. 

Upon further examination, this lineup isn't quite as "meh" as we're making it out to be.  It's "meh", but there's some hidden gems in there.

Black Pumas, Greta Van Fleet, St. Vincent, Modest Mouse, Phoebe Bridges, Band of Horses, and Future Islands are damn solid mid-lineup bands.  

Down towards the bottom...Audic Empire, Aaron Stephens, The Tender Things, TC Superstar, Sir Woman, Allison Ponthier, The Backseat Lovers, and Aaron Frazer provide some "depth" and something to do during the early hours.  

Seems like there's more just W1 or W2 acts on the list this year.  I could go either way, whichever I get a free pass to attend, I'm happy.  

Anybody notice there isn't the usual ~20 gospel choirs and kid's bands?  

Guest Lobo

There won't be one.  It will be suggested/recommended, but not enforced.  Kinda like the no-chair zones up-front, they're working out a "distanced" area in the backs of all stages kinda marked by signage where you're encouraged to sit/stand away from other people.  Basically just formalizing what we've all always done in previous years.  Older folks like me hang in the back just 'cause.  Now it's the "socially distanced jam zone" or whatever.  For really packed in areas like side-stage viewing platforms, etc.---they may be a little more heavy on the mask suggestions.  Some of their corporate sponsors are already working on "cool" mask ideas/designs for those that want to grab one, use it for a set, and then ditch it as they walk around the park.  I think you'll see 20% of the attendees wearing a mask at some point throughout the festival, but nothing on a regular basis.  

Yeah if I’m gonna be in a crowd I might wear one. Not looking to be shoulder to shoulder tho. 

Why? The mask helps others more than it helps you. If you’re vaccinated and they’re not by that point, that’s their fucking problem.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

Why? The mask helps others more than it helps you. If you’re vaccinated and they’re not by that point, that’s their fucking problem.

That’s where I am now, too.  Especially by the time October rolls around, if you haven’t gotten the shot then it’s solely on you...for whatever reason you hold to not get vaccinated. 

Anyone got thoughts on parking, possibly on Barton Springs?  The best thing ever was paying Shady Grove ahead of time for passes, could drive out of that alley at night back onto  Lamar and avoid all the mess around the festival.  

Always see places advertising down there, so I’m sure we can find a spot...but prefer the security of knowing we have a place reserved.  

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Anyone got thoughts on parking, possibly on Barton Springs?  The best thing ever was paying Shady Grove ahead of time for passes, could drive out of that alley at night back onto  Lamar and avoid all the mess around the festival.  

Always see places advertising down there, so I’m sure we can find a spot...but prefer the security of knowing we have a place reserved.  

Given the giant fence around the now defunct Shady Grove, I'd say there'll be no parking there this year. 

The only time those fences come down will be for demolition or denim.  

Fair point about vaccination.  I'm still treading lightly and giving people time into July to get both shots/wait the 14 days.  By the beginning of school year, my patience will have wained.  By mid-October, you don't have the shots by choice...I'm gonna piss on your leg and tell it's anti-bodies 

Edited by Lobo

Guest Lobo

day-by-day lineup is out right now.  W1/W2 thing seems to be much more prevalent this year.  If I'm reading it right, Friday during W2 only has 21 bands total.  That's 3 bands per stage for the whole day, not including the kiddie stage.  Most stages typically have 5 bands per stage/day.  I guess setups will just be more staggered so that one big stage may have a big crowd, but the adjacent stage will be empty longer and encourage people to move outta that area?  I dunno, seems different.  Maybe in a good way. 

Great news, and the music snobs can disagree with me all they want, Sunday is the best day.  So for those wanting to take in either TCU or OKL football those two weekends on the road......Saturday is easily the weakest lineup so you won't be missing much.  I think this middle-age guy may have one more ACL-OKL-ACL weekend left in him.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Does anyone think they're gonna add bands? Seems a little light compared to other years. And Sunday is going to be fantastic.

I sure hope they add a few more bands to every day.  Once they publish the Time-and-Stage chart, if they don't add bands, I think it's going to feel a little empty compared to a normal year.  

19 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Well, I dicked around for 15 minutes and by the time I got through the que everything was sold out for Weekend One. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a few singles at some point in the future.

It's not that you dicked around. I don't know anybody who got in. Tickets were gone in minutes.

59 minutes ago, Bookman said:

It's not that you dicked around. I don't know anybody who got in. Tickets were gone in minutes.

Think they significantly reduced capacity this year? Don't ever remember the 3 days and single days going in minutes like they did this year. Hell, some years tickets would be available for weeks. I know it's post-Covid and everyone wants to get out, but it seemed strange how quickly they went.

26 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Think they significantly reduced capacity this year? Don't ever remember the 3 days and single days going in minutes like they did this year. Hell, some years tickets would be available for weeks. I know it's post-Covid and everyone wants to get out, but it seemed strange how quickly they went.

I don't see why they would, but then this is austin.

28 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

If the City of Austin forced them to reduce capacity, we probably would have heard about it from the virtue-signaling City leaders.   I don't think Live Nation (C3) would reduce it on their own because they're coming of a year of no revenue.   I think people just want to get out an party and unlike Chicago (lollapalooza), I think we're in a better covid place.

...and ticket scalpers are probably a big part of selling out so fast.  

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just told the wife I'm going to Primavera in '22. Now, I'm taking her and the kids. I guess it's still worth it.

Yea, think the Mrs and I will be there. Not sure I want to spend a significant time of my first trip to Europe at a festival so probably 1 or 2 days max 

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, think the Mrs and I will be there. Not sure I want to spend a significant time of my first trip to Europe at a festival so probably 1 or 2 days max 

Now I'm having seconds thoughts. Headliners don't go on until 2-3AM. Holy fuck. I don't know if I can do that. I know my wife and kids wouldn't last past 10pm. I'll have to think about it. The down bill is pretty fantastic and would probably be worth it anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Now I'm having seconds thoughts. Headliners don't go on until 2-3AM. Holy fuck. I don't know if I can do that. I know my wife and kids wouldn't last past 10pm. I'll have to think about it. The down bill is pretty fantastic and would probably be worth it anyway.

That’s sick

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, C-Man said:

Delta variant says "fuck yo couch!"

giphy.gif

I swear I saw a blurb that ACL just announced it was going to require masks in reading through some Jason Isbell tweets but now I can't find it.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Delta variant says "fuck yo couch!"

giphy.gif

I swear I saw a blurb that ACL just announced it was going to require masks in reading through some Jason Isbell tweets but now I can't find it.

I would welcome that, but that seems completely unenforceable unless staff will be patrolling the whole grounds 

5 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I would welcome that, but that seems completely unenforceable unless staff will be patrolling the whole grounds 

I predict they will likely have a roped off area as you get closer to the stage that is mask required.  they will also announce requirement to show vaccination.

• Like 1