2021 Texas Rangers

CowtownHorn

48 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Schedule on ESPN is showing the rotation to be Gibson, Arihara, Lyles, Folty, and Dunning.  Guessing Benjamin and Hearn will follow Lyles/Dunning as the tandem starters.

Yep, but flip the two piggybacks. 

• Kyle Gibson @ K.C. (Opening Day) -- Thursday
• Kohei Arihara @ K.C. -- Saturday
• Jordan Lyles + Taylor Hearn @ K.C. -- Sunday
• Mike Foltynewicz vs. TOR (Home opener) -- Monday
• Dane Dunning + Wes Benjamin (vs. TOR) -- Tuesday

Prediction: Pain. 

14 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

all of those names combined can't have pitched more than 30 innings in a rangers uniform.  who would have the most innings, lyles?  taylor didn't make it out of his first inning. 

Hearn pitched 17 inning last year. Reducing his career ERA by..... checks math....103.....

Edited by Jameslaw121

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Hearn pitched 17 inning last year. Reducing his career ERA by..... check math....103.....

oh that's right, hearn got injured in 2019.  i don't have any recollection of him pitching at all last year.  

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

oh that's right, hearn got injured in 2019.  i don't have any recollection of him pitching at all last year.  

I, too, am trying to forget all of last season. 

I really only know, because he went to school with my daughter so I kept up with him more than I normally would. 

Sadly, when he made his MLB debut. We had a bunch of people over and I was all hyping him up and stuff. Afterwards you could have heard a pin drop in my house. Followed by "Well fuck!" by me

1 minute ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I, too, am trying to forget all of last season. 

I really only know, because he went to school with my daughter so I kept up with him more than I normally would. 

Sadly, when he made his MLB debut. We had a bunch of people over and I was all hyping him up and stuff. Afterwards you could have heard a pin drop in my house. Followed by "Well fuck!" by me

did your daughter go to royce city? 

taylor's a friend of a friend.  she's known him since middle school and has always said how great he's going to be but since he got injured it's been relatively quiet.

Just now, gsoda3 said:

did your daughter go to royce city? 

taylor's a friend of a friend.  she's known him since middle school and has always said how great he's going to be but since he got injured it's been relatively quiet.

Yup. I don't think she really knew him. But it was a pretty small school. And she told me that her I had seen him pitch at least a couple of times in HS. But I didn't know about it at the time. 

Offense could be decent if a couple of guys take a next step, a couple rebound to their potential. Pitching seems like it can't be much better than a flaming clown car. Maybe a couple of prospects come up mid-year and show some promise.

Anyway, I'm gonna enjoy it, or at least kill a lot of time with Rangers baseball on TV in the background.

ESPN’s take. 

26. Texas Rangers

Projected record: 73-89 (4.3% playoff odds)

Best case: The Rangers see some young players plant their stake as future parts of the Texas core. Nate Lowe, Nick Solak, Leody Taveras, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Willie Calhoun, Kyle Cody, Dane Dunning are among those on the early big league roster to watch. If that happens and some of the youngish veterans like Joey Gallo and David Dahl go off, the Rangers can make a run at .500. -- Doolittle

Worst case: With spring injuries hammering the Texas bullpen, you worry that a spate of early losses caused by blown leads spirals into a quick hole that a so-so rotation and a lineup that's still too all or nothing can't climb out of. The Rangers are evolving, but the progress would remain hard to spot in the midst of a 96-loss season. -- Doolittle

Most exciting player: I will admit that Joey Gallo isn't exactly my cup of tea, but holy cow does the ball go far when he connects. He has also turned himself into a very good right fielder -- he was a deserving Gold Glove winner in 2020 -- and if he can hit .253 like he did in 2019 (rather than the .181 he hit in 2020), he brings a lot of value with his power and walks. And did I mention the tape-measure home runs? -- Schoenfield

Schoenfield's bold prediction: Joey Gallo hits 45 home runs but finishes with a .205 average and sets the single-season strikeout record with 225, breaking Mark Reynolds' mark of 223.

13 hours ago, castolon said:

The rational part of my brain says it's really fucking hard to lose 100 games, but looking at this team.....yeah

It pains me to do this, but I am going to bet a set unit on the opponent's run line every game.  Last year during the shortened season you would have been up 11 units.

15 hours ago, castolon said:

The rational part of my brain says it's really fucking hard to lose 100 games, but looking at this team.....yeah

Yeah, 2 weeks ago when they decided to pickup the 2022 option for Chris Woodward, I knew right then and there that this would be 100+ loss team.  You're basically saying "Sorry Corch, I know we're going to suck really bad this year so we're going to go ahead and pay you for next year because this ain't your damn fault."