2021 Texas Rangers

CowtownHorn

Disappointed we didn't get Rougie back.

13 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I’m disappointed. There is no reason to watch the Rangers. Gallo was the lone bright spot. It’s now just a collection of journeymen and low end prospects that won’t be on the team when they’re good again. No confidence that any of these prospects will amount to anything. 

Garcia can play...

I don't really know how to feel about this. Im sorry it happened.  I really like Joey and it sucks that the FO fucked up his prime. 

I choose to remain optimistic and follow the minors.  I probably wont pay much attention to the Rangers for the rest of the year.

Here's hoping they can get something interesting for Kennedy and Gibson  

• Hook 'Em 1

This trade is only shit if you are comparing it to years ago when teams were more willing to include their higher ranked prospects in deals for major league stars.  Those days are long gone, organizations are obsessively hanging onto their minor league studs in this day and age.  I would have preferred they get someone a little better than Hauver, but the Rangers didn't do badly here.  It's a new day in baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think they did fine.  Not great. Not bad. Fine.  

Tepid talks about 1 3 and 5 year plans.  These new guys seem to line up with the 2 to 3 year plan.   Hopefully, they turn out to fit nicely with the group in Frisco.

Still, wait and see on Kennedy and Gibson.

Should be a lot of 40man movement this offseason 

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

Pretty unbelievable that we couldn’t land one Top 5 prospect for Gallo.

Rangers are a shit organization.

It’s really not.   His value isn’t that of Mike Trout.   And even if we got the #2 or 3 in an org, we would’ve likely got that and 2-3 others below 50.   Getting #6 and 8 and 2 in the low 20’s isn’t a bad deal.   

not to mention the fact that high end prospects fail all the time.   Would you rather have 4 guys that project well or 1 guy that seems like he could be a guarantee?    We’re not 1 player away from being good.   

Edited by Trey3216

https://www.mlb.com/news/joey-gallo-trade-prospects-on-the-rise?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Josh Smith, SS (No. 7)
A second-round pick out of Louisiana State in 2019, Smith batted .324/.450/.477 in his pro debut at short-season Staten Island and immediately became the repeated subject of trade inquiries. He has outstanding bat-to-ball skills, makes the most of his solid raw power and has a chance to stick at shortstop but ultimately may wind up at second base. After missing the start of this season with a hand injury, the 23-year-old has hit .324/.448/.641 with nine homers in 39 games between Low-A and High-A. 

Ezequiel Duran, 2B/SS (No. 8)
Issues with the registration process in the Dominican Republic pushed back Duran's signing two years before he finally turned pro for $10,000 in 2017. After posting the third-lowest OPS (.562) in the Rookie-level Appalachian League during his U.S. debut in 2018, he bounced back to lead the short-season New York-Penn League with 13 homers the next summer while showing off explosive bat speed and high exit velocities. The 22-year-old has batted .290/.374/.533 with 12 homers in 67 High-A games this summer and has used his solid speed to steal 12 bases.

Trevor Hauver, 2B (No. 19)
Hauver raked as an outfielder at Arizona State and went in the third round of the 2021 Draft, after which the Yankees moved him to second base. He's an advanced hitter who makes a lot of loud contact -- he homered in each of his first five games while making his pro debut in May -- but his infield defense is very much a work in progress. The 22-year-old has batted .288/.445/.498 with nine homers in 66 Low-A games.

Glenn Otto, RHP (No. 25)
Though Otto starred as a reliever and made just four starts in three seasons at Rice, the Yankees took him in the fifth round of the 2017 Draft with the plan of making him a starter. A blood clot in his pitching shoulder and a ribcage injury limited him to 91 2/3 Minor League innings before 2021, but he has broken out at age 25 with a 3.33 ERA, .216 opponent average and 115/17K/BB ratio in 75 2/3 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. His best pitches are a 12-6 spike curveball and a mid-90s fastball, and his changeup and control have improved this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Would have been nice to get the CF. 

The trade to make Joey Gallo a Yankee changed Wednesday night after the Yankees expressed concerns about the medical records of Rangers reliever John King, multiple sources told The Post. 

Texas substituted lefty bullpenner Joely Rodriguez for King and the Yankees subsequently altered the mix of minor leaguers going to the Rangers, and the transaction was made official by both teams Thursday.

King, 26, a southpaw like Rodriguez, is currently on the 10-day injured list with left shoulder fatigue, having last pitched on July 6. 

The Rangers believe that King, who already has thrown off a mound in his rehabilitation, will be back pitching in August or September. He owns a 3.52 ERA in 27 games totaling 46 innings pitched on the season, striking out 40 and walking 12. The Yankees liked him enough that they were willing to include centerfield prospect Everson Pereira, whom they value highly, in a package for him and Gallo.

But a deep dive on King left the Yankees concerned with at least his shoulder, and that prompted the shift in the deal’s terms. 

WTF?

Phillies are acquiring RHPs Kyle Gibson, Ian Kennedy from Rangers for Spencer Howard, prospects: Sources

By The Athletic Staff

July 30, 2021 at 2:02 PM CDT

The Phillies are close to acquiring right-handed pitchers Kyle Gibson and Ian Kennedy and minor-league pitcher Hans Crouse from the Rangers for right-hander Spencer Howard and right-handed pitching prospects Kevin Gowdy and Josh Gessner, sources confirmed to The Athletic. The Rangers are also sending about $4 million to the Phillies in the deal.

Matt Gelb, Phillies beat writer: The Phillies had indicated to teams over the last week that Howard was available for a non-rental. Gibson, 33, is under contract for $7 million next season. Kennedy is a rental. Whatever you think of the deal, it’s a totally bizarre path for Howard from top prospect to this trade.

Levi Weaver, Rangers beat writer: As recently as last season's mid-season Baseball America prospect list, Howard was Philly's No. 1 prospect. Two more coming along with him for a couple of veteran guys as the team rebuilds? That's not bad at all, even if major-league results for the 25-year-old haven't been stellar.

Ken Rosenthal and Jayson Stark contributed to this post

Am watching Jomboy trade deadline panel live and one of the guys is buddies with Gibson. Gibson just texted him and said he hasn’t heard a peep from the front office. Which means 1 of 2 things. Deal either isn’t done or the front office dropped the ball. 

Spencer Howard was their #1 prospect in 2020.  Reading twitter, Philly shouldn't have brought him up but did and it didn't do him any favors.  Has good velo but dips after the 3rd inning.   Put him in RR and let him pitch.  

Seems like if he can figure it out he's a stud.

Here's MLB from last year

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/phillies/

Spencer Howard was their #1 prospect in 2020.  Reading twitter, Philly shouldn't have brought him up but did and it didn't do him any favors.  Has good velo but dips after the 3rd inning.   Put him in RR and let him pitch.  
Seems like if he can figure it out he's a stud.

Here's MLB from last year
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/phillies/
He's Howard Spencer to me until he makes me change my mind.