Is today's Republican electorate the Dumbest in modern history?

horn4life

IS the current GOP electorate the dumbest in modern history?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. How dumb do you think the current GOP electorate is?

• Dumbest ever - When you believe more lies than the truth and listen to Ivy League Elites rail against themselves and cheer wildly... it's hard to get dumber.
    • Just a bit dumber. Remember the Tea Party folks honestly believed that Obamacare was going to have "death panels" and the GOP had a health plan.
    • Average - Dumb is not a word I would use. Misinformed certainly, but grasp of factual information has not been a prerequisite to being Republican for a very long time.
    • Actually this group because of their access to social media makes them probably smarter than many past GOP electorates.
    • One of the smartest ever probably. They are on the right side of most issues and as a group pretty damn well informed!

My fundamentalist sister-in-law lives in Alabama, and disowned my wife nearly 20 years ago (cancel culture, anyone?) over support for same-sex marriage.

She sought us out last year to apologize, expressly because her political party had abandoned its principles by supporting a philandering, lying, cheating, stealing scumbucket of orangish hue. 

"If people I have always respected can make an error in moral judgment to this extreme a degree, maybe that's why humans are supposed to leave judgment to God."

Yeah, I can't really argue with her there.

But for those in a faith, especially a fundamentalist faith, bucking the herd trends is not even remotely an easy thing to do, and so numerous otherwise respectable people cast morally repugnant ballots. It happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2021 at 2:29 AM, UpperWestside said:

Except in the real timeline of events that has not happened. That Trump was able to convince them they were growing richer while handing him a sum of well over 200 million for an election defense he never seriously mounted because it was a scheme to get more money from this death cult is amazing. The simplicity of the scheme impresses no one, but the vast sum of money he got so quickly from people who are not well off is the sad part.

I realize we are mostly glad here to see this death cult destroy itself, but at the end of the day I grappled with hoping to see it all blow up in glorious fashion for a good long while. I had to let the hate go though. It will just burn you up inside and it is no way to live. Reading that John Lewis autobiography last summer had a profound effect on me. All I can do is hope these people eventually see that a con man sweet talked them with his words and swindled them with his deeds.

What is funny is I was visiting with some Trumper neighbors a couple nights ago and they thought his post election fundraising was fantastic! And they were so impressed.  I said, "lots of rubes." Which they did not quite know how to digest.  

Edited by horn4life

This is as good of a place as any:

Study: Far-Right Propaganda Gets the Most Engagement on Facebook, Especially When It's Lies

"They found that sources categorized as far-right by Newsguard and Media Bias/Fact Check did very well on Facebook, followed by those classified as far-left, other more moderately partisan sources, and finally those that were “center”-oriented. Those far-right sources tended to receive several hundred more interactions (likes, comments, shares, etc.) per 1,000 followers than other outlets. Far-right pages experienced skyrocketing engagement in early January, before the riot at the Capitol.

"Furthermore, those far-right sources classified as regularly spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories actually did better on engagement (426 interactions per 1,000 followers a week on average) than every other type of source (including far-right pages not classified as sources of misinfo, which got 259 interactions per 1,000 followers a week on average).

"That’s not even the most egregious part of it. While far-right sources were rewarded with higher engagement on Facebook when they spread misinfo or conspiracy theories, the Cybersecurity for Democracy findings show sources classified as “slightly right,” “center,” “slightly left,” or “far left” appeared to be subject to a “misinformation penalty.” Said penalty appeared to be much heavier for sources classified as centrist or left of center."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, Snake Diggity said:

One of the world’s biggest misconceptions is that there is a correlation between intelligence and massive wealth.  Even worse is the misconception that wealth is caused by intelligence.

Most people get their wealth from access to capital they were born into.  Others get it on their own, but through traits like ambition and will to achieve, not intelligence.  The idea that being smart and hard working are the main traits that lead to a person being rich is so so wrong.

Poor people are stupid and they smell bad

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Why are Republican law makers uniformly against the COVID relief package while their voters are very much in support of it?

Because they DGAF about their voters.  Hurting the credit claiming ability of Biden is more politically strategic than allowing the Biden administration to help people.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Why are Republican law makers uniformly against the COVID relief package while their voters are very much in support of it?

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because they DGAF about their voters.  Hurting the credit claiming ability of Biden is more politically strategic than allowing the Biden administration to help people.  

this is exactly it.

and the thing is, their voters will still fall for the dr seuss cancel culture war on christmas they gonna take our guns but antifa but whatabout bullshit next time. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Democrats have had the majority in the house, senate, and presidency for how many years in the past 10?  

All that control and no major changes. Republicans sure are dumb. 

Um.  Zero.

Well, part of 2011, but it wasn't a filibuster proof majority in the Senate.

Not the last 10 years, but damn close...the Democrats controlled the White House, the House of Reps, and the Senate from January 2009 to January 2011.  They held the Senate for 6 of the 8 years Obama was in office, and the House for 2 of his 8 years.   If there's 16 "Congress-Years" for a 2-term President (8 years for each of two chambers)...then Obama has basically a "split" congress during his two terms.  But his party did have full control for 2 years. 

I expect Biden and the two Chambers to basically just play cleanup/damage control for these two years to hedge against losing one or both chambers in 2022.  I know Progressives have a much more ambitious agenda, but I don't think much of it will come to fruition.  

Basically, this is gonna look a lot like 2009-11 except on a broader scale since not only are their quantifiable repairs that need to be made, along with some modest policy goals...but this administration and the 2 Houses of Congress also have the more macro and abstract responsibility of you know...avoiding an all-out Civil War.  This makes the 2009-11 WH/HR/SEN trio's work look like child's play.  Let's just not start another war is really all I'm asking at this point.  

Edited by Lobo

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought it time for a bounce after Sidney Powell's defamation defense that only somebody unable to reason would actually believe what she was saying about Trump being rightfully elected. Know known as the Big Lie.  I wonder what additional level of fucking stupid must be applied for those that chipped in on the $250 million Trump grift.

Just funny to realize how very, very, very gullible Republicans are necessarily these days.  Because if you let logic creep back in... then you have to admit how dumb and gullible you were. Something most folks won't do.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I think it's very, very important to get this out there:

Just so we're clear, if the Taliban, or al-Qaeda, or the Democrats get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate and begin executing Christians, Ms. Ellis will not run and hide, but will profess her faith proudly, right? It's just that I've lost a lot of money during March Madness (fuck you, Illinois!) and I'm looking to make some up, so y'all let me know if you want to take that bet or not.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/13/2021 at 9:06 AM, EuroHorn said:

Democrats have had the majority in the house, senate, and presidency for how many years in the past 10?  

Lol, you fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Satchel said:

I once thought that friends who supported trump and were just temporarily fooled by his bullshit for a while would someday come to their senses and see the truth.  Now I know that they all have some common defect in their brains which makes them incapable of knowing the truth even when it beats them over their heads.  Since I would prefer to have friends who are capable of logical thinking, screw the rest.  There is no hope for them, ever.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

I once thought that friends who supported trump and were just temporarily fooled by his bullshit for a while would someday come to their senses and see the truth.  Now I know that they all have some common defect in their brains which makes them incapable of knowing the truth even when it beats them over their heads.  Since I would prefer to have friends who are capable of logical thinking, screw the rest.  There is no hope for them, ever.

What's up with the capital letters in your username?

22 hours ago, F250 said:

What's up with the capital letters in your username?

Combo of anti and atm.  Lived in Bryan and Brenham for a few years in the 50s and have hated aggy ever since.

Edited by AnTiM
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:06 AM, EuroHorn said:

II think it was 2 years total.  But yeah... I can see how some folks would see the biggest change ever to healthcare as not a major change... Thanks for adding another data point to the stupid side... 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure if this is attributable to the cluelessness of Trump donors or the rank greed of Trump and his people:

Former President Donald Trump reportedly convinced unwitting supporters to give tens of millions in recurring donations to his 2020 campaign—a scam that allowed the campaign to withdraw weekly payments from one-time contributors as the election neared. The strategy emerged around March of last year, the New York Times reported Saturday, when the Trump campaign began featuring a pre-checked box on the online donation portal that, unless donors manually opted out, made their single contribution a monthly recurring payment. 

Trump’s team and the Republican National Committee deployed a second pre-checked box in June, called the “money bomb,” which doubled a donor’s intended donation and helped skyrocket online contributions to record-breaking levels. Come fall, the Trump campaign had ratcheted up their operation with tweaks to the auto-checked boxes: the first box, which was initially for a monthly recurring donation, now indicated that the amount would be withdrawn weekly. Donation disclaimers were taken out of boldface type, according to prior versions reviewed by the Times, and increasingly overshadowed by bold text and Trump’s signature use of words in all caps.

Upon discovering the state of their bank accounts, many Trump donors initially thought they had been victims of fraud. That was true for Stacy Blatt, a Trump supporter in his 60’s who died of cancer in February but, from hospice care last September, chose to donate $500 to the campaign. In less than 30 days, that sum had multiplied to $3,000 in withdrawals. “It felt like it was a scam,” Blatt’s brother, Russell, told the Times. Another supporter surprised to see their donation multiply was Victor Amelino, a 78-year-old California resident whose $900 online donation to Trump swelled to nearly $8,000. “I’m retired. I can’t afford to pay all that damn money,” he told the outlet.

Many swindled by the campaign issued fraud complaints to banks and credit card companies, and the Times reports that the Trump operation issued $122 million in total refunds in 2020—$101 million more than President Joe Biden’s campaign issued. Trump was “able to use tens of millions of dollars he raised after the election, under the guise of fighting his unfounded fraud claims, to help cover the refunds he owed,” according to the Times. Trump spokesman Jason Miller downplayed the fraud complaints to the paper. When asked if Trump himself was aware of the recurring payment model, the campaign did not respond.

• Haha 1

I’m very fortunate to not have any hardcore / outspoken republicans in my inner circle. I’m not friends with the jerk who has a “ republic of Texas” sticker on his huge truck while he’s tail gating you on the highway. I’m not friends with the tea party people who have had perfect upbringings and believe their parents who tell them that colored folks are coming for their stuff.

I think a lot of them mistakenly follow the GOP likes it a football team and they want “ their side” to win at all costs. I think a lot of them tie all the good stuff in life to Republican values / the Republican brand and all of the bad things in life to democrats / liberals. In reality, only about 10% of democrats are extremely radical but those are the people the republicans always point to and assume all democrats are like that.

they also have a strange fascination with “ owning the libs” and blaming them for everything that goes wrong in their lives. I think it’s just a bunch of angry people who believed years of propaganda fed to them by their families, friends, and people in their immediate social circles. These people enjoy their “bubble” and will fight you to maintain it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

Not sure if this is attributable to the cluelessness of Trump donors or the rank greed of Trump and his people:

Former President Donald Trump reportedly convinced unwitting supporters to give tens of millions in recurring donations to his 2020 campaign—a scam that allowed the campaign to withdraw weekly payments from one-time contributors as the election neared. The strategy emerged around March of last year, the New York Times reported Saturday, when the Trump campaign began featuring a pre-checked box on the online donation portal that, unless donors manually opted out, made their single contribution a monthly recurring payment. 

Trump’s team and the Republican National Committee deployed a second pre-checked box in June, called the “money bomb,” which doubled a donor’s intended donation and helped skyrocket online contributions to record-breaking levels. Come fall, the Trump campaign had ratcheted up their operation with tweaks to the auto-checked boxes: the first box, which was initially for a monthly recurring donation, now indicated that the amount would be withdrawn weekly. Donation disclaimers were taken out of boldface type, according to prior versions reviewed by the Times, and increasingly overshadowed by bold text and Trump’s signature use of words in all caps.

Upon discovering the state of their bank accounts, many Trump donors initially thought they had been victims of fraud. That was true for Stacy Blatt, a Trump supporter in his 60’s who died of cancer in February but, from hospice care last September, chose to donate $500 to the campaign. In less than 30 days, that sum had multiplied to $3,000 in withdrawals. “It felt like it was a scam,” Blatt’s brother, Russell, told the Times. Another supporter surprised to see their donation multiply was Victor Amelino, a 78-year-old California resident whose $900 online donation to Trump swelled to nearly $8,000. “I’m retired. I can’t afford to pay all that damn money,” he told the outlet.

Many swindled by the campaign issued fraud complaints to banks and credit card companies, and the Times reports that the Trump operation issued $122 million in total refunds in 2020—$101 million more than President Joe Biden’s campaign issued. Trump was “able to use tens of millions of dollars he raised after the election, under the guise of fighting his unfounded fraud claims, to help cover the refunds he owed,” according to the Times. Trump spokesman Jason Miller downplayed the fraud complaints to the paper. When asked if Trump himself was aware of the recurring payment model, the campaign did not respond.

A fool and his money.....

Taking money from stupid people has always been a thing, and will always continue to be a thing. Whatever money these fucking rubes give to Trump would be siphoned off by someone else if Trump didn't exist. They are marks in search of a con. 

4mhxta.gif

This weirdo is estimated to be worth a few hundred million. 

Edited by Blotto

I doubt this is the dumbest electorate, GOP or otherwise, in history, but it's definitely the dumbest in my lifetime. And what saddens me the most is that the GOP (from what I remember, anyway, and my memory may be faulty) used to be a sane, responsible, practical party. That is, not really driven by ideology (idiotology really). What caused this? I blame the evangelical christians (hence GWB) flocking to the GOP and conflating/equating religion with politics. Fuck. The. Evangelicals. 

Imo, we are seeing the death throes and last gasps of a very sick, almost extinct party. These dumb white (shite, really) mostly elderly, uneducated voters are losing out to the younger and browner demographic and it terrifies them. 

There is no talking reason or logic to them. They think they face an existential fate and their choice of "news" reinforces that daily. 

6 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I doubt this is the dumbest electorate, GOP or otherwise, in history, but it's definitely the dumbest in my lifetime. And what saddens me the most is that the GOP (from what I remember, anyway, and my memory may be faulty) used to be a sane, responsible, practical party. That is, not really driven by ideology (idiotology really). What caused this? I blame the evangelical christians (hence GWB) flocking to the GOP and conflating/equating religion with politics. Fuck. The. Evangelicals. 

Imo, we are seeing the death throes and last gasps of a very sick, almost extinct party. These dumb white (shite, really) mostly elderly, uneducated voters are losing out to the younger and browner demographic and it terrifies them. 

There is no talking reason or logic to them. They think they face an existential fate and their choice of "news" reinforces that daily. 

It’s sad, but even as a kid growing up I’m OK/TX I understood evangelicals were fucking idiots.  Seeing an entire party coalesce around those buffoons is going exactly as my 6th grade ass would have guessed.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s sad, but even as a kid growing up I’m OK/TX I understood evangelicals were fucking idiots.  

A lot of kids see that. 

Which is a big reason why there are fewer and fewer people affiliating with organized (christian) religion. 

My kids see all the idiots associated with religion and it turns them off. I don't blame them. 

On 4/2/2021 at 8:35 AM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Almost certainly.

PSDT_08.19.19_highered-00-01.png?resize=

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The very fact that this poll had to be taken shows we have a massive problem.  Higher education has a negative effect?  We have failed as a society. 

Reliving history, the Communist Scare etc.

While the Kent State shooting shocked America, looking at the surveys taken around that time, there were large swaths of America that were uncomfortable with simultaneous issues, problems, events--not sure what to call them. Kent State involved the death of white Americans, young Americans. I remember reading a really good article about it and there were plenty of people who viewed those students the way Antifa is looked at today by the far right. IMO, that created an uncomfortable feeling--this violence towards young people protesting a war; a war overseas and a lot of young people were dying and (if I had to guess, and I am) it involved some of the conflicting emotions you watch people go through now, but with fewer televisions in homes nationwide, no internet, no social media, no smart phones. Combining that with adults of that age (Kent State shooting happened 51 years ago) would have remembered the McCarthy hearings (which had happened a little less than 20 years prior to that) and that dissonance between scares that were real (your child dying in a war) and watching young "privileged" educated people marching around (instead of getting a job and working) and then getting shot on campus and 'but Commies!' meant that all those 'feelings' and 'emotions' had to be worked through, rationalized, and compartmentalized.

Those people didn't go away figuratively speaking. They are all around you and me, just perhaps not in our bubbles. They may not be the sons and daughters of the Americans who watched those events (some are perhaps) but they are in spirit.

The ones who attended college because it was what is done (attend games, make business connections, meet a girl/boy) see that landscape changing just as some men did in Texas did in 1963 when A&M formally opened registration to women. That was a financial decision for the most part--Texas was coed for much longer and it was having an effect on admissions. That Rudder fellow got so much hate mail for that. Women on campus, diverse campuses, campuses where thoughts are exchanged, debated, discussed and always always the mistrust that those people to whom the money is sent are inculcating the youth with untrustworthy un American ideals and ways. They come home either challenging pop's thinking of the way the world works or telling pop about people on campus who do. What happened to the campus where a red blooded male was homecoming king just like in hs, with a pretty girl on his arm, a job lined up that would put him in his first home, and a new car smelling fresh and driving fast? Watching that move further and further out of reach and some for whom it was never going to be a reality and even more for whom it was once a birthright but now see a different landscape for their children and grandchildren creates some very visceral pangs and loathing. Adding in the propaganda and rhetoric regarding 'cultural elites' and the purges and blacklists of the past don't seem too far off.

Everything old is new again.

So yeah, it's not a great situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

A lot of kids see that. 

Which is a big reason why there are fewer and fewer people affiliating with organized (christian) religion. 

My kids see all the idiots associated with religion and it turns them off. I don't blame them. 

And they’ve probably never even seen Robert Tilton. (This clip doesn’t include him speaking in tongues, which is hilarious.)

Don’t eat your seed.

12 hours ago, Satchel said:

Who could have possibly foreseen this? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Why do you doubt it's the dumbest in history? I can't even imagine what dumber than this looks like

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Btw, Trump spiritual advisor Paula White is a Robert Tilton clone.

What I love about her the most, and what makes it all fit into this bizarre timeline perfectly.....is that she is married to Jonathan Cain, keyboardist for Journey:

EIpcs2oXsAIUbl9.jpg

4x_journey_keyboard.jpg?itok=al7B0_90

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What I love about her the most, and what makes it all fit into this bizarre timeline perfectly.....is that she is married to Jonathan Cain, keyboardist for Journey:

EIpcs2oXsAIUbl9.jpg

4x_journey_keyboard.jpg?itok=al7B0_90

That’s where you and I differ. I was a fan of the Babys. I was a fan of Journey when Cain was in the band. My first car date was to see Journey on the Frontiers tour.

I’m disappointed that Cain has anything to do with that wackadoodle. That just makes me sad.