Crawfish Recipes

Hank_Hill

Had a going away crawfish boil with the GFs family. Yankees and their first real boil so I should’ve known better but ordered 30lbs for about 10 people. Needless to say I have a lot left over, what can I do with all of this? Took off tomorrow so the rest of my night will be drinking and picking these bad boys on the apartment balcony.

Probably only 6 of us could handle the spice level. But yea it was disgraceful on everyone elses part. Étouffée recipe? Also what’s the verdict on freezing these? Just finished up and will definitely be 3 or 4 dishes worth.

Edited by Hank_Hill

8 hours ago, austingirl said:

We always calculate 5 lbs per person (live) for a boil. How much do you have left, and are we talking peeled or unpeeled crawfish?

Yeah...my first crawfish boil in Austin (15 years ago or so) was a shock.  We used to calculate 5 lbs a person back in Houston.  Here, I dialed it down to 3 lbs.  We invited a diverse (very Austin-y) crowd....and went through 1.5 lbs per person.

Seriously, in Austin, if you're inviting a broad spectrum crowd, including a good number of folks who look at a boil as a social occasion and didn't grow up eating them, 1-2 lbs a person is plenty.  If you have at least 1/3 of your crowd as real eaters, go up to 3 lbs a person.

Nowadays, I only boil crawfish for real eaters, and 3 lbs a person is a bit light.  Did a 30 lb sack for 10 of us for the helluvit, and it wasn't quite enough.

If you freeze em so they'll keep, break those bad boys out on Thanksgiving for Crawfish dressing.  I can get a recipe from my grandmother in law, in fact I should before it's too late as she's 92.

God I love crawfish. . .the smell, the taste, mmm mmm mmm. One of spring's true blessings down here in SETX/SWLA.

It looks like all of my pics are lost to the ether, but I posted this recipe for crawfish egg rolls on the previous board:

First, make a light roux of 3 Tbsp each butter and flour. Add in two cups of very finely diced trinity, two cloves of garlic and a Tbsp of cajun seasoning and cook it all until soft. Turn off the heat and stir in one cup of steamed rice, a quarter cup each of creme fraiche, heavy cream and seafood stock, a cup of sharp cheddar and a bunch of green onions. Once it cools add a pound and a half of cooked crawfish meat and stick it all in the fridge overnight. The next day, roll a quarter cup of filling into each big egg roll wrapper (or a big Tbsp rolled into a won-ton wrapper). At that point you can freeze. Eventually you should deep fry them until golden brown on the outside and serve with remoulade.

• Like 2

Those recipes look like they'd produce really rubbery crawfish. ("Simmer for 2 hours"?!?!)

Just me? I mean TC is definitely a definitive source I would think, but really?

Edited to add: In case anyone hasn't figured out how to view Imgur files yet, in Firefox, right click on the file name and click VIEW FILE. You'll get an Imgur error, so in the address bar, delete the first i and the period, "i." in the URL and click the arrow or ENTER key and you'll see the image. (If you prefer you can also delete the period and the second i, ".i" , same thing.) Click the back button and the image will be where it is supposed to be on this page. HTH.

Edited by DoobieWah