Our beloved dog Reba died this morning

immortal13

Thank you, Imma. I'm dreading having to break the news to our kids when they get home from school. I took the rest of the day off after getting home from the vet and having to bury her in the rain. I took the time to make her a nice cross for her grave

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

God damn man.. you've had a horrible last several months.  I can't imagine what your wife is feeling. 

She is just sick about it. I told her to go on to work when I got down there and got her loaded up in my truck. I knew she was hurt bad but I wanted to give her a chance, so I hauled ass to the closest vet office I could find

They will be home in the next 15 minutes or so. The first thing those kids(boy 8, girl 9)  are going to do is ask me where Reba is. She would always be down at our entryway when the kids got home from school. It always amazed me how she knew when the bus would be coming. There will be many many tears being shed

Edited by immortal13
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

They will be home in the next 15 minutes or so. The first thing those kids(boy 8, girl 9)  are going to do is ask me where Reba is. She would always be down at our entryway when the kids got home from school. It always amazed me how she knew when the bus would be coming. There will be many many tears being shed

Man, that stinks.  I'm sorry.  Our rescue is half heeler(supposedly) & half poodle.  She's amazing and the kids adore her.  I can't imagine having to have the conversation with them.  Might be time to start puppy shopping.  Heeler pups are beyond adorable.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you all for the kind words...they mean a lot. Reba was a bad ass dog. She was a very loyal and a super sweet natured dog, but she fiercely guarded our house and land whenever someone came around that she didn't know. She was only 1 1/2...gone way too soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Sending good thoughts and prayers for serenity your way.  Hold each other as a family, cry those tears together, mourn the loss, and remember the wonderful life you all gave Reba-she could not have done better for a family.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm so sorry to hear that immortal. Dogs are amazing and the bonds we form with herding dogs are particularly intense. The pain of their passing is dwarfed by the joy they brought during their lives, but man does it fucking hurt when it's time to let them go. My thoughts are with you and your family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My condolences are yours in this time of sorrow. We lost one of our pups in August at about half his supposed lifespan and don’t know what he died of. We still carry a sadness and can’t make sense of it, but can take some relief in the joy we brought him and he brought us, and knowing that all our days are numbered but we gave him all the love we had while he was on this earth. I hope that the memory of Reba’s love for your family stays with you forever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just a side note on this ...when I left with Reba I tried calling ahead to the vet office so they could be ready for us but unfortunately their vet out so I headed to the next little town. I called ahead to that office and was turned away. They told me they were full that morning and could not see my dog. I tried explaining to the girl that it was an emergency situation but was still told no...I was fucking furious. I had to drive another 30 minutes to find a vet in the NEXT little town but she passed away while I was carrying her in the lobby

To be fair, I don't think there was anything that could've been done to save her, but I still could not believe they wouldn't see my dog. 

Edited by immortal13

14 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Reba would be proud. Dogs are selfless. The true embodiment of what faith, love, and mercy are all about. Strange to think that we should immolate an animal that licks its own ass.

CHIEF

I don't think "immolate" is the word you were looking for, Chief.

Sorry to hear about Reba, Immortal. Dogs are awesome for so many reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I don't think "immolate" is the word you were looking for, Chief.

Sorry to hear about Reba, Immortal. Dogs are awesome for so many reasons.

Yep, a few whiskeys in. I probably used two m's, that was a bad autofill.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, immortal13 said:

This one just seemed like she needed us as much as we needed her. We named her Dixie

20210303_202111.jpg

20210303_194427.jpg

20210303_194322.jpg

Those pictures say it all.  Look at those feet in the sink picture!!  Gonna be a great addition to your family and you deserve all the joy that your new best friend will bring you.  Cheers!!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...