Four seat side by side options

markstanco

You should be good for a crossing a few inches above the floor boards. The inlaws place is basically a swamp and the stock machine hasn't really had any problems.
I looked at the vents this afternoon. About the same height as my 07 polaris. Little above the tires and then you have issues. Def doing the snorkel kit, being 3/4 miles from the red we can get some water.

Just got the Polaris Rzr greatest.   Reading the maintenance schedule and says change oil after 10 hours of first use.   Ummm, do yall follow recommendations on oil changes and such? 

Am I alone in thinking gtfo with changing oil after 10 hours of use or am I acting like my wife who won't change oil in car until something burns?

2 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Just got the Polaris Rzr greatest.   Reading the maintenance schedule and says change oil after 10 hours of first use.   Ummm, do yall follow recommendations on oil changes and such? 

Am I alone in thinking gtfo with changing oil after 10 hours of use or am I acting like my wife who won't change oil in car until something burns?

I usually change all the fluids way before 10 hours.  After everything has meshed and honed itself, regular from there on out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

May be not necessary, but I follow.  Mine say half throttle or less for 20 hours.  So that is what I am doing.  Keeping it between 20-25 mph, and I will also let it idle at the house when I am outside.  I am at about 9 hours now between my driving and the 12 year old driving around the hood.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Mucho gracias to yall with the mule recs.

Kiddo was on spring break this week and crushed hours, just hit the 20 mark and changed the oil this evening. not happy with the oil filter location but whatevs.

Went to the lease this weekend and had a blast, the smooth ride is on point. I'm sure when I get off the street tires in September to more aggressive ones it will be worse but oh well.

Just a thank you to those who made me look at another brand.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

Mucho gracias to yall with the mule recs.

Kiddo was on spring break this week and crushed hours, just hit the 20 mark and changed the oil this evening. not happy with the oil filter location but whatevs.

Went to the lease this weekend and had a blast, the smooth ride is on point. I'm sure when I get off the street tires in September to more aggressive ones it will be worse but oh well.

Just a thank you to those who made me look at another brand.

Get the right tires.  This Mule is 16 years old and on the 2nd set of tires which are now 8 years old.  Plenty of tread left.  Never had a flat while run through some really rough, thorn-laden territory.   The cheapskates in our camp got conned into different brands and they are constantly repairing and gooping their tires.   I told them but they didn’t listen and fell for the “they’re just as good” bit.

9F1ED62F-132C-489D-819C-6DEF521311D2.jpeg

773091D8-EE6F-41F4-9D6E-E5EFEA4D1C02.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, deadshank said:

Get the right tires.  This Mule is 16 years old and on the 2nd set of tires which are now 8 years old.  Plenty of tread left.  Never had a flat while run through some really rough, thorn-laden territory.   The cheapskates in our camp got conned into different brands and they are constantly repairing and gooping their tires.   I told them but they didn’t listen and fell for the “they’re just as good” bit.

The road feeder in the front is a pro move.  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 6:09 AM, deadshank said:

Add a back seat and throw a sprayer rig in the back and it looks like my Father in law's. 

On 3/15/2021 at 7:45 AM, markstanco said:

May be not necessary, but I follow.  Mine say half throttle or less for 20 hours.  So that is what I am doing.  Keeping it between 20-25 mph, and I will also let it idle at the house when I am outside.  I am at about 9 hours now between my driving and the 12 year old driving around the hood.  

I bet the kid is taking it at half-throttle, too...  

• Like 1

I bet the kid is taking it at half-throttle, too...  
He is pretty cautious. Still is today, when I got in the hood I actually came in behind him and he was taking it easy.

Edit: there are 3 girls and his buddy that ride almost daily. All parents talked to them about going fast.

On 3/14/2021 at 11:59 PM, Hornbeliever said:

You know how I know you never assembled an engine?

• Like 1

Well it's not exactly an either or situation. He's still gotta buy the oil and filter to do it himself. My philosophy is that for a few minutes of work I can do it myself and put better oil in it than if I paid someone to do it.

If I could actually recover the time it takes me to do it and get paid the equivalent of what I would make at work I would be in the hole, but OT doesn't come in 20 minute blocks and I like doing things like that myself so I know they are done right.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well it's not exactly an either or situation. He's still gotta buy the oil and filter to do it himself. My philosophy is that for a few minutes of work I can do it myself and put better oil in it than if I paid someone to do it.

If I could actually recover the time it takes me to do it and get paid the equivalent of what I would make at work I would be in the hole, but OT doesn't come in 20 minute blocks and I like doing things like that myself so I know they are done right.

This.  No brainer over hauling the thing in and getting up sold on a bunch of shit you don't need.  Pull the plug and filter, and while the oil is draining, grease all the grease points. Check air filters, then throw the plug and new filter on and fill with oil. Done. 20 min tops and you know it was done right.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

This.  No brainer over hauling the thing in and getting up sold on a bunch of shit you don't need.  Pull the plug and filter, and while the oil is draining, grease all the grease points. Check air filters, then throw the plug and new filter on and fill with oil. Done. 20 min tops and you know it was done right.

Definitely this.  I will YouTube to watch to make sure I'm doing it sorta right.  I don't feel bad at all that I've never changed oil in my life but I also don't want to haul it from my ranchito to Houston (and back). 

So I'm doing it myself and can't wait for black smoke to come out from the engine like a pope still hasn't been picked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Definitely this.  I will YouTube to watch to make sure I'm doing it sorta right.  I don't feel bad at all that I've never changed oil in my life but I also don't want to haul it from my ranchito to Houston (and back). 

So I'm doing it myself and can't wait for black smoke to come out from the engine like a pope still hasn't been picked.

I'm sure they are all a little different, but I changed the oil on my Honda Pioneer for the first time a few months ago and it was ezpz.  I bought a kit from Amazon that had oil, oil filter, air filter and a funnel that made things a little easier. 

I ordered a new spark plug as well, but Honda made sure to put the plug in a spot that is f'n impossible to access without taking off the panel under the seat.  I didn't have the tool needed to mess with the plastic "rivets" and so I couldn't get the boot off the plug.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Polaris sells kits  for your specific model, I have an atv from them....  They make it insanely easy to know what needs to be changed and when. I cant speak for ease of the Polaris SXS, but the atv is easy as shit to change fluids.

I also watched a video made by these guys the first time to be sure I didn't mess anything up. They do a great job explaining step by step.

Edit: I just saw you said Rzr, but I bet they have a video for that too...

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1

And simple projects like that are relaxing as well.

• 1 month later...

I am done with the mods. Lift from highlifter, MTX soundbar, added a 2 tone car/truck horn, and finally tires today. Oh, and did add a few weeks ago a bedliner so crap won't slide around I the steel bed.

5ef994d48049521001d0d00cade75f50.jpg

Edit: went with maxxis carnivore 8 ply tires.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 10:35 PM, markstanco said:

I am done with the mods. Lift from highlifter, MTX soundbar, added a 2 tone car/truck horn, and finally tires today. Oh, and did add a few weeks ago a bedliner so crap won't slide around I the steel bed.

Do you have the flip-out-and-up front windshield?  If so, and tempered glass, how much did it set you back?

Do you have the flip-out-and-up front windshield?  If so, and tempered glass, how much did it set you back?
Yes on tempered. It has a small metal piece that folds out to let air in, works great. I will take a pic of it when I go outside later.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the new Ranger Crew got here this week. The winch, windshield, brush guard, and Ride Command are still at the dealer. Wasn't supposed to be ready until next Tuesday, but CHIEF Jr. couldn't wait. He'll have 20 hours on it this weekend. Gonna let the dealer do the first service, then take it from there. Of course he can't not have a thumping sound system to take the nubile young lasses around the neighborhood. It was bought for the hunting lease but also serves as a pussy wagon. Gonna have 4" portal boxes and 33's shortly.

IMG-0247-2.jpg

IMG-0248.jpg

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just fyi, if any one is thinking about a screen go for a polycarbonate option, wont break if any rocks, branches hit it and will be a hell of a lot less than $800

You should be able to find an engineering plastic place without too much looking that will be able to make you what ever you need, the company I work for make them over here in Melbourne Oz for about $450.00 for a set of front and back screens to suit ATVs very similar to those shown in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know yall have been at the edge of your seats but I changed the oil on my polaris myself.  First time I've ever done anything with an engine.  I watched YouTubes and they helped.  Took 25 minutes to do, 15 of which was spent me figuring out what the engine crankcase was so I could remove the correct plug.  Who knew (besides competent engine people).

Anyways, thanks for advice on doing it myself.  Saved me time and money and now I never have to take in for oil change. Now if I only knew what grease points to grease......but that is a battle for another day.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2021 at 10:35 PM, markstanco said:

Any updates?  I'm picking mine up next week.  

5 minutes ago, dbagg said:

Any updates?  I'm picking mine up next week.  

Still running great.  I have a voltage leak with my sound bar though that is slightly annoying.  If I dont ride it for 10ish days I will have to charge it.  Figured that out when we went on vacation a few months ago, I took the fuse out when we left and a week after returning it started right up.  I have a rocker switch waiting for it but too hot right now to mess with.  

• 1 month later...

Has anyone purchased a Mule lately? I'm thinking about moving my current Camo Mule chicken wagon out to the ranch and replacing it with a nicer Ranch Edition (irony!) like @markstanco's.

Question is, how is the buying process nowadays? Competitive at all or just MSRP like buying a new car right now?

When I bought my current Mule I just called around comparing prices, so I would prefer to do that but if all they're going to say is "MSRP" when I call I might as well save myself the trouble. 

Looks like there is some inventory floating around, but not a lot. 

Has anyone purchased a Mule lately? I'm thinking about moving my current Camo Mule chicken wagon out to the ranch and replacing it with a nicer Ranch Edition (irony!) like [mention=1619]markstanco[/mention]'s.
Question is, how is the buying process nowadays? Competitive at all or just MSRP like buying a new car right now?
When I bought my current Mule I just called around comparing prices, so I would prefer to do that but if all they're going to say is "MSRP" when I call I might as well save myself the trouble. 

I picked mine up for a full/all fluid change last Tuesday and the owner had zero inventory of utility sxs vehicles. He said he “gets what he gets” from Kawasaki. No idea what or when. I didn’t ask about price, but it that tells me he isn’t coming off the price any longer.

15 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I picked mine up for a full/all fluid change last Tuesday and the owner had zero inventory of utility sxs vehicles. He said he “gets what he gets” from Kawasaki. No idea what or when. I didn’t ask about price, but it that tells me he isn’t coming off the price any longer.

Thank you. That's kind of what I suspected. Gone are the days when the lots were full and the deals were plentiful. Just wanted to check. 

Dealer in Lubbock has two in stock on his website. I guess I'll call him today and haggle a tiny bit and then buy it over the phone and go pick up next week when I'm out there. 

Thank you. That's kind of what I suspected. Gone are the days when the lots were full and the deals were plentiful. Just wanted to check. 
Dealer in Lubbock has two in stock on his website. I guess I'll call him today and haggle a tiny bit and then buy it over the phone and go pick up next week when I'm out there. 

Get the ranch edition or whatever. Slightly more power and better looks.

Jeez Louise.

I bought my current Pro-FXT in 2018 at Kawasaki of Pasadena which is now out of business. I paid 10% *under* MSRP.

Mainland in LaMarque wants 25% over sticker + TTL to drive it off.

Freedom in Fort Worth wants about the same. 

Shouldn't be that surprised but I am. This economy is terrible right now and all the funny money is finally catching up to us. 

On 10/19/2021 at 7:10 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Has anyone purchased a Mule lately? I'm thinking about moving my current Camo Mule chicken wagon out to the ranch and replacing it with a nicer Ranch Edition (irony!) like @markstanco's.

A very close friend who is also a member of our deer camp owns a UTV / Powersports dealership.  They are still on allotment, all incoming units are sold and even he (the owner of the business) doesn’t have a UTV at our deer camp.  He sold the demo that he was using and now drives out to the blinds in his Raptor with a corn broadcaster on the back bumper. 

21 minutes ago, deadshank said:

A very close friend who is also a member of our deer camp owns a UTV / Powersports dealership.  They are still on allotment, all incoming units are sold and even he (the owner of the business) doesn’t have a UTV at our deer camp.  He sold the demo that he was using and now drives out to the blinds in his Raptor with a corn broadcaster on the back bumper. 

Yes, I feel lucky to have been able to put down a deposit and be told, "We fairly confidently expect it in November." The more I researched, the more it was clear that the market is all messed up. 

I also bought a new Kubota tractor recently. I wanted to buy from the dealer in Abilene, but he was ~10% higher than the dealer in Houston and said he couldn't guarantee when it would be in stock. The Houston dealer had what I wanted in stock and I snapped it up. 

We were fortunate to get our Ranger in June. When we went and put a deposit down in late April, no one had claimed it. At that time the dealership was full of UTVs. When we went back in June, they were cleaned out. Had a guy offer us our money back and $5k, to walk away.

CHIEF