Four seat side by side options

markstanco

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Anybody have any opinions on the best gun rack setup for a four seat ranger? Just need something for the driver that is quickly accessible in case any pigs or deer are spotted.

This is the one I bought, fits in the middle front seat, held in by the seatbelt:

https://www.everythingpolarisranger.com/polaris-ranger-seizmik-icos-gun-holder-by-seizmik.html

CHIEF

What CHIEF recommends is solid, but I need all four seats - YMMV.  Works well in a 6 seater for sure.  I thought about overhead, but I’m too tall for comfort.  Had to go with bed mount.  Works reasonably well - I just glass the field before going through.  If I see anything of concern, I get out the rifle.  Quick enough access for me.

https://www.kolpin.com/en-us/shop/accessories/gun-transport-carriers/rhino-grips/ratcheting/ratcheting-rhino-grip/?pfm=Browse

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Nice, but who the hell rides around with bolts guns?  

1658483471_ScreenShot2021-12-16at09_24_13.png.7dad0205e9c4b5b810dce1238893e031.png

An AR is the type of gun I'd want to drive around with for quick shots. For hunting rifles, I'd just put the gun in a soft case (obviously unloaded) and keep it in the front seat with me until I got to the blind. 

There are some vertical rifle holders mounted to the floorboard that are available that will hold an AR. I'd be interested in one of those. 

18 hours ago, solamente73 said:

What CHIEF recommends is solid, but I need all four seats - YMMV.  Works well in a 6 seater for sure.  I thought about overhead, but I’m too tall for comfort.  Had to go with bed mount.  Works reasonably well - I just glass the field before going through.  If I see anything of concern, I get out the rifle.  Quick enough access for me.

https://www.kolpin.com/en-us/shop/accessories/gun-transport-carriers/rhino-grips/ratcheting/ratcheting-rhino-grip/?pfm=Browse

image.jpeg

I like that too. Are the clamps just mounted directly onto the rear grill? Looks like it. 

11 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

1658483471_ScreenShot2021-12-16at09_24_13.png.7dad0205e9c4b5b810dce1238893e031.png

An AR is the type of gun I'd want to drive around with for quick shots. For hunting rifles, I'd just put the gun in a soft case (obviously unloaded) and keep it in the front seat with me until I got to the blind. 

There are some vertical rifle holders mounted to the floorboard that are available that will hold an AR. I'd be interested in one of those. 

Yeah, I definitely need something that can mount and AR. I pretty much have a 300 BLK, Winchester 73, or a muzzleloader with me when i am riding around.

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I looked at those and they were very promising.  Just for me, though, with my Mule 4010 Trans, it would just take up too much room up front, so I passed.

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I like that too. Are the clamps just mounted directly onto the rear grill? Looks like it. 

Yes, direct mount.  Easy as could be, very sturdy.  Just distance the clamps for whatever rifle you’ll be carrying.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, I definitely need something that can mount and AR. I pretty much have a 300 BLK, Winchester 73, or a muzzleloader with me when i am riding around.

I originally set out to find a way to carry an AR 30 rd I could quickly access from the driver’s seat.  I looked at every possible arrangement: mounted across the A pillars in front, overhead, vertical front floorboard, front seat, driver side B-pillar or C-pillar (but that would be custom), and all the bed solutions out there.  For about a month, I’d mock up what solutions I could and went about normal work, envisioning usability and utility.  Because of small cab size, I eliminated every option up front.  Side mount exposed the weapon to brush, etc. and inhibited ingress/egress.  So, I had to go with bed mount, and those clamps were easy to use and didn’t take up much space when I needed it in the bed.

One drawback is that the rifle is exposed to the elements.  I’m usually not out in the rain, but I do have to bring it in at night so it’s not impacted by unexpected rain or heavy morning dew (insert joke here).  A solution for that would be a hard gun case and maybe a 10 round magazine, but more of a PITA to access quickly.

1 hour ago, solamente73 said:

I looked at those and they were very promising.  Just for me, though, with my Mule 4010 Trans, it would just take up too much room up front, so I passed.

Yes, direct mount.  Easy as could be, very sturdy.  Just distance the clamps for whatever rifle you’ll be carrying.

I originally set out to find a way to carry an AR 30 rd I could quickly access from the driver’s seat.  I looked at every possible arrangement: mounted across the A pillars in front, overhead, vertical front floorboard, front seat, driver side B-pillar or C-pillar (but that would be custom), and all the bed solutions out there.  For about a month, I’d mock up what solutions I could and went about normal work, envisioning usability and utility.  Because of small cab size, I eliminated every option up front.  Side mount exposed the weapon to brush, etc. and inhibited ingress/egress.  So, I had to go with bed mount, and those clamps were easy to use and didn’t take up much space when I needed it in the bed.

One drawback is that the rifle is exposed to the elements.  I’m usually not out in the rain, but I do have to bring it in at night so it’s not impacted by unexpected rain or heavy morning dew (insert joke here).  A solution for that would be a hard gun case and maybe a 10 round magazine, but more of a PITA to access quickly.

Mine is a Mule Pro FXT, so I've got the space up front for the vertical. I do like those grips, though. 

Could you not mount on the inside of the rear grill (i.e. headache rack) and thus stay protected from the elements?

37 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Mine is a Mule Pro FXT, so I've got the space up front for the vertical. I do like those grips, though. 

Could you not mount on the inside of the rear grill (i.e. headache rack) and thus stay protected from the elements?

Nice ride, and roomy. I actually regret not getting the Mule Pro FXT Ranch edition, if nothing more than for the winch.  But mine is bulletproof and gets the job done.  Plus I can put the savings into buying suppressors, but that’s for another thread.

Yes, I could mount on the inside, But then my kids heads would be hitting them and rifle.  Need both front and rear seating room clear.

Also, got pics?

Edited by solamente73
English is hard

10 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Nice, but who the hell rides around with bolts guns?  

The AR stays in the passengers lap. The bolt guns stay available so you can squeeze off that 400 yd. shot before the monster you stirred up, going down the road, is able to get into the brush. AR and Bullpup are always in hand.

CHIEF

This is the one I bought, fits in the middle front seat, held in by the seatbelt:
https://www.everythingpolarisranger.com/polaris-ranger-seizmik-icos-gun-holder-by-seizmik.html
CHIEF

That’s a sweet setup. With my windshield in my 6 seater I get the dust swirl and makes everything dusty AF. You have that as well? I guess if I get something like that a beach towel would be necessary to drape over the guns.

• 1 month later...

My new Ranch Edition finally showed up a couple of weeks ago. My brother was able to pick it up in Lubbock and get it down to Snyder before the storm hit; the dealership was pretty clear that I needed to come pick it up promptly or I'd go back onto the waiting list.

I was finally able to get out there this weekend to drop off the old camo one for permanent hunting duty and pick the new one up and bring it back to Houston for sporting clays and light farm duty. It's really shiny. Have a whole lot of modifications planned (new roof, front rack, gun rack, etc).

Driving back from Snyder yesterday the headwinds were awful. I made 5 MPG to Abilene and then got it up to 7 MPG between Brownwood and Temple. By comparison I got ~14 MPG pulling the trailer and other mule back home at Christmas. 

1762878693_IMG_8211copy.jpg.6aa5dd94ea01e0bce39fefb11345d348.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Our old Willis Jeep I think I posted on another thread when it got stuck in the damn mud.  Picked it up from Nonnie Smith (RIP) Diesel in Valera.  It's not shiny.  Not quiet.  Not particularly fun to drive.  But it's a beast.  Full of old beer cans and spit cups.  Re-siped, 14-ply airplane tires that are 100% mesquite, pear, and .22lr  proof.  Big toe bar on the front that is great for just barreling through thick brush and pear patches.  Elevated seats in the back to shoot critters and box the ears of the front two passengers.  

Jeep.JPG

Jeep2.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My new Ranch Edition finally showed up a couple of weeks ago. My brother was able to pick it up in Lubbock and get it down to Snyder before the storm hit; the dealership was pretty clear that I needed to come pick it up promptly or I'd go back onto the waiting list.

I was finally able to get out there this weekend to drop off the old camo one for permanent hunting duty and pick the new one up and bring it back to Houston for sporting clays and light farm duty. It's really shiny. Have a whole lot of modifications planned (new roof, front rack, gun rack, etc).

Driving back from Snyder yesterday the headwinds were awful. I made 5 MPG to Abilene and then got it up to 7 MPG between Brownwood and Temple. By comparison I got ~14 MPG pulling the trailer and other mule back home at Christmas. 

I stopped off at the dealer in Madisonville a couple of weeks ago and he had just got in a Ranch Edition he was prepping for pickup.  He said he has orders for almost 20 he’s waiting on and that if he got in 30 in one day he could probably sell the others in less than a week.  Market is kinda crazy right now.  Didn’t even bother asking about prices. 

So what plans on the roof?

I stopped off at the dealer in Madisonville a couple of weeks ago and he had just got in a Ranch Edition he was prepping for pickup.  He said he has orders for almost 20 he’s waiting on and that if he got in 30 in one day he could probably sell the others in less than a week.  Market is kinda crazy right now.  Didn’t even bother asking about prices. 

I got so super lucky with mine. Ranch edition purchased about 5 minutes before lack of employees and overseas logistics last year. The dealer added LED lights front and back and I was out the door for $18k. Same model without dealer added lights is 23 now. He can’t add lights nor does he have to. They leave the same day.

8 hours ago, davidg said:

I got this one for $1,000 over MSRP. All of the dealers in Houston and Dallas wanted at least $5,000 over MSRP back in October when I was trying to find one. The dealer in Lubbock was the cheapest and the closest to Scurry County, so I send him the deposit and waited. 

In December the dealer from Fort Worth had one in stock and called and asked if I wanted it. The drive off price he quoted was over $25,000. I'm sure he was able to sell it by the end of that afternoon. 

By comparison, I bought the camo version of the same machine back in 2018 and drove it off for a little more than $15,000. No winch, but the same everything else. 

Also in 2018, I bought a used 2014 3/4 ton pickup in 2018 with 165k miles on it for $20k. I've put another 20k miles on it and the dealer said last time I was there for service that I could sell it for at least $23k or more. Crazy. 

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

So what plans on the roof?

I've got a metal one with a cargo rail that I'm going to install, then do light bars on the front and back. I originally told the dealer to deliver it without the roof but he said it comes that way from the factory and is included in the price. (this is inconsistent with my previous Mule purchase experience, where the roof was an add-on)

I wanted a Ranch Armor top and front rack but those are way more expensive than I want to pay and take at least 6-8 weeks for receive. 

• 1 year later...

So I might have had too much and driven my atv into a tree.  Wasn't going that fast, probably 10 mph at time.  

Anyways, go to trade it in for a 2023 model and the Polaris dealer wouldnt take it because of a bent frame and wouldn't fix it even though it wasnt too bad.  Just walked to a body shop in Houston and they said they wouldn't fix an atv frame, only cars. 

Has anyone ever fixed a bent frame before on their atv?  If so, how/where?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 11:44 AM, Hornbeliever said:

So I might have had too much and driven my atv into a tree.  Wasn't going that fast, probably 10 mph at time.  

Anyways, go to trade it in for a 2023 model and the Polaris dealer wouldnt take it because of a bent frame and wouldn't fix it even though it wasnt too bad.  Just walked to a body shop in Houston and they said they wouldn't fix an atv frame, only cars. 

Has anyone ever fixed a bent frame before on their atv?  If so, how/where?

Here is the guy that you want: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064650193657

Tater Pogue with TaterToys in Huntsville. We have problems with our frame wanting to bend backwards pushing the tires over large rock ledges. It is slightly bent at this time. This is the guy CHIEF Jr. wants to do the framework (which would require a 6 hour run each way). He also does reinforcement kits that he welds in place, but he can fix you right up. He isn't cheap, but it will be better than what you will get for your Ranger if you try to sell it with a bent frame.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
better link
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1