Racial bias found in common life-saving medical device (pulse oximeters)

clapclapclap

https://abc3340.com/news/local/racial-bias-found-in-common-life-saving-medical-device

Spoiler

(WBMA) – A study found racial bias in a common lifesaving medical detection device, according to the FDA.

The device is called a pulse oximeter and it's used to make important medical decisions for patients, especially in the pandemic.

It is an electronic device that measures the saturation of oxygen carried in your red blood cells.

A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine shows the use of that type of device failed at getting a proper blood oxygen reading in more Black patients than white patients.

According to the FDA, it’s likely the device is less accurate in people with “dark skin pigmentation”.

"I don't think there was a dramatic difference in how the COVID disease process could have been managed over the year," Dr. Michael Luther said. "But in individual circumstances, no doubt someone was told that their oxygen was 94 and it was really 87 and it may have delayed care in those individual cases."

Doctor Luther is with Grandview’s primary care facility in Homewood and said adjustments will have to be made going forward, to ensure extra attention is paid to oxygen levels in Black patients.

“We would kind of subjectively be a little more skeptical if someone who identifies as Black said that their home reading is 93%. We might just tell ourselves, 'you know there is a three times higher chance that, that’s not right compared to someone who identifies as white'. And then we would say, ok be more cautious, have a different threshold to call me back again,” Dr. Luther said.

To get as accurate a reading as possible from home, Dr. Luther said to move around the home to get your heart rate up slightly and run warm water over your hands until they are warm, colder hands make readings more difficult.

nejmc2029240_f1.jpeg

Edited by clapclapclap

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

https://abc3340.com/news/local/racial-bias-found-in-common-life-saving-medical-device

Hide contents

(WBMA) – A study found racial bias in a common lifesaving medical detection device, according to the FDA.

The device is called a pulse oximeter and it's used to make important medical decisions for patients, especially in the pandemic.

It is an electronic device that measures the saturation of oxygen carried in your red blood cells.

A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine shows the use of that type of device failed at getting a proper blood oxygen reading in more Black patients than white patients.

According to the FDA, it’s likely the device is less accurate in people with “dark skin pigmentation”.

"I don't think there was a dramatic difference in how the COVID disease process could have been managed over the year," Dr. Michael Luther said. "But in individual circumstances, no doubt someone was told that their oxygen was 94 and it was really 87 and it may have delayed care in those individual cases."

Doctor Luther is with Grandview’s primary care facility in Homewood and said adjustments will have to be made going forward, to ensure extra attention is paid to oxygen levels in Black patients.

“We would kind of subjectively be a little more skeptical if someone who identifies as Black said that their home reading is 93%. We might just tell ourselves, 'you know there is a three times higher chance that, that’s not right compared to someone who identifies as white'. And then we would say, ok be more cautious, have a different threshold to call me back again,” Dr. Luther said.

To get as accurate a reading as possible from home, Dr. Luther said to move around the home to get your heart rate up slightly and run warm water over your hands until they are warm, colder hands make readings more difficult.

Racial bias?  Nice headline ABC  

• Like 1

100% chance that it was tested on black people and passed through the FDA with this in mind. I am sure the article covers this if I bothered to read it. In 1992, I worked with a scientist at MD Anderson who had developed an "optical" technology for reading glucose levels for diabetics. The difficulty in the technology was reading through different skin pigmentation. It is an obvious issue that would have to be resolved before hitting the market. 

Doctor Luther is with Grandview’s primary care facility in Homewood and said adjustments will have to be made going forward, to ensure extra attention is paid to oxygen levels in Black patients.

“We would kind of subjectively be a little more skeptical if someone who identifies as Black said that their home reading is 93%. We might just tell ourselves, 'you know there is a three times higher chance that, that’s not right compared to someone who identifies as white'. And then we would say, ok be more cautious, have a different threshold to call me back again,” Dr. Luther said."

To anyone who is listening, I hereby declare myself white.

Problem solved. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

The primary takeaway might be:  If you don't already have a pulse oximeter, get one now while you are healthy, use it to establish your baseline, so even if it isn't completely accurate, you can still notice any significant change and contact a nurse if such occurs.

Edited by clapclapclap
(Though don't have to wait to contact the nurse if she's hot and gives permission)
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Um. No. It has nothing to do with what people "identify" as (as someone pointed out above). Maybe remove politically "correct" safe-space language from your discussion about fucking medical science. In fact, maybe omit using "white" and "black" altogether since it's obviously a lighter skin and darker skin issue. If some dark-as-night Indian (NTTAWWT) patient gives you their readings are you going to ask them if they identify as African-American? 

Jesus H.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

It is common for medical device designers and manufacturers to narrow their patient population for FDA approval purposes if anatomical differences come in to play. For example, little people (is this pc?) are not appropriate for many adult orthopedic and spine implants, but also the child size products may not have sufficient mechanical strength for an adult little person. Companies have to specify exclusions in the IFU. Many sub populations get overlooked because there are not enough of them to make the design, FDA approval, and operations profitable...applies to both devices and drugs. In this situation, skin pigment is the anatomical difference but holy hell could you imagine if a device company put people of subsaharan African and deep south Asian ancestry as an exclusion in the IFU?

• Hook 'Em 2

Consumer grade pulse oximeters are fraught with all kinds of variables. We get low readings on people who have been out in the cold because their peripheral circulation has diminished. My staff is usually pretty good about realizing when skin pigment is making a difference in O2 readings when we spot check with similar monitors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um. No. It has nothing to do with what people "identify" as (as someone pointed out above). Maybe remove politically "correct" safe-space language from your discussion about fucking medical science. In fact, maybe omit using "white" and "black" altogether since it's obviously a lighter skin and darker skin issue. If some dark-as-night Indian (NTTAWWT) patient gives you their readings are you going to ask them if they identify as African-American? 

Jesus H.

I'm sorry thats's not allowed... none of it....you obviously Lilly white, racist bastard.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

How dare you. How could you forget Coca-Cola. Be less white, dude. How dare you.

Aunt Jemima and Mrs Butterworth’s syrup, Uncle Ben’s Rice, Cream of Wheat, Land o lakes Butter, Texas Rangers, Washington Redskins and more.

It appears to be an attack on breakfast and overrated sports franchises than anything else.

18 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Aunt Jemima and Mrs Butterworth’s syrup, Uncle Ben’s Rice, Cream of Wheat, Land o lakes Butter, Texas Rangers, Washington Redskins and more.

It appears to be an attack on breakfast and overrated sports franchises than anything else.

I haven't heard the Texas Rangers cancellation. That one doesn't seem to fit.

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I haven't heard the Texas Rangers cancellation. That one doesn't seem to fit.

As @dcar00 mentioned above, if you’re looking for one, you can find it anywhere. Shouldn’t be a surprise though, because if you support law enforcement you’re racist by much of the woke crowd even today.