Kentucky Senate grants high school senios another year

Dennis Taylor

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Why in the Lord's name would any competent person want to stay in HS on purpose?

Exactly what i thought.  18 YO me would have said, "Fuck that!!!"  regardless of another year of football...

Our neighbor, the school district's athletic director, had his rotund kid repeat 8th grade twice in order to maximize him for the O line.  LOL, ultimately he still didn't get any football scholarship offers and we never made the playoffs.  (Nice guy, not his fault his dad was a cheat.)

Edited by clapclapclap
For those in Rio Linda, that's 3 years in 8th grade
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh no, stop, wait...who will populate the state's fine colleges and universities next year if all the Seniors stay back another year?  

Carnegie Classification, AAU, CASE, CHEA, et. al.  To a person, everyone agrees that the place with the most godawful blend of public and private institutions East of the Mississippi is by far and away the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  

It is a beautiful state, spend a lot of time there as a kid.  Good people, great bourbon, Louisville is a nice town.  But the place has no station in decent society.  Let everybody in the state regardless of age be a Senior in high school next year and I promise you to Christ, nobody in the rest of the country would notice a fucking thing.  

So assuming most would be graduating, would they just stay to play sports? Start work on a second high school diploma? I guess in the age of dual enrollment there are ways to manage this, but the educational ramifications seem weird. Admittedly I only read the tweet and haven’t looked into it further because who cares/Kentucky.

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Oh no, stop, wait...who will populate the state's fine colleges and universities next year if all the Seniors stay back another year?  

Carnegie Classification, AAU, CASE, CHEA, et. al.  To a person, everyone agrees that the place with the most godawful blend of public and private institutions East of the Mississippi is by far and away the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  

It is a beautiful state, spend a lot of time there as a kid.  Good people, great bourbon, Louisville is a nice town.  But the place has no station in decent society.  Let everybody in the state regardless of age be a Senior in high school next year and I promise you to Christ, nobody in the rest of the country would notice a fucking thing.  

• Haha 1

Man, this could hurt freshman enrollment at the University of Kentucky.  I guess they'll have to raid Tennessee and Arkansas for some of their 800 SAT winners.  Then Arkansas will have to raid Texas's 800 SAT winners, which will hurt aggy's enrollment.  And if the Corps doesn't get enough incoming freshmen to sexually abuse, they're gonna have to repress their homoerotic urges even more than usual, and who knows what kind of fucked up collateral damage that'll lead to?  Those people have swords, for some reason.

16 hours ago, Underdog said:

Hell, I was 19 when I won 6th Grade POY for Lexington schools. 

The star running back on my middle school team in Port Arthur had a kid and drove himself to school...in 8th grade. 

I'm kidding

About the driving part. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mole said:

So assuming most would be graduating, would they just stay to play sports? Start work on a second high school diploma? I guess in the age of dual enrollment there are ways to manage this, but the educational ramifications seem weird. Admittedly I only read the tweet and haven’t looked into it further because who cares/Kentucky.

Go back and take all those electives you missed out on the first time, like home economics.

I get it and think it’s awesome. Y’all can be a bunch of dicks but for a lot of kids senior year in high school is the best thing that ever happened to them and the pinnacle of life. These covid kids lost that. Go play sports, go

to Prom, operation graduation and all that shit if you feel like you missed out on all that shit. I can’t imagine more than a handful actually taking them up on this offer and for those that do what’s wrong with that?  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I get it and think it’s awesome. Y’all can be a bunch of dicks but for a lot of kids senior year in high school is the best thing that ever happened to them and the pinnacle of life. These covid kids lost that. Go play sports, go

to Prom, operation graduation and all that shit if you feel like you missed out on all that shit. I can’t imagine more than a handful actually taking them up on this offer and for those that do what’s wrong with that?  

Because it's all bullshit

I am sure the State of Kentucky is flush with funding to support a bunch of do-overs because they lost out on parties.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Just think then how it would be for a freshman or sophomore to play ball against a 19-, or 20-year old man. 

In another lifetime, I was a high school assistant football coach.  We were playing a district game against a school coached by a former high school classmate of mine.  We weren't very good that season, and played a handful of freshman.

Our TE was 14, and although he was 6'2" or so, he was pretty scrawny.  Great kid, worked hard.  However, he was getting his ass just whipped this game by their DE, who was a senior.  We chipped over a back to help out, but it didn't make much of a difference.  We got beat by 4-5 scores or so.

After the game, I'm talking to my former classmate.  He mentioned that our freshman looked like a good group (and they were; they were state semi-finalists a few years later) and complimented our TE.  I told him he was still wet behind the ears, and only 14.  He casually mentioned the DE was 19, and he was a special ed student who had been held back at some time and was going to turn 20 during his senior year.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They need to learn that is NOT the pinnacle of life.   Prom?   I am fucking laughing for real.

So much shit we focus on is the wrong shit...

1 hour ago, slorch said:

They need to learn that is NOT the pinnacle of life.   Prom?   I am fucking laughing for real.

There are a bunch of people, not on here, who that will be a high point in their life. Sad but true. I can’t imagine more than a handful of people signing up to do this again. It will al be ok. 

I suspect that if a sport like wrestling is something that they do in Kentucky, there will be some seniors that come back for another year because they finished 2nd or 3rd.  Not good enough for a shot at wrestling in college, missed their ultimate goal by a little, so they come back to beat up on this year's juniors.

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

In another lifetime, I was a high school assistant football coach.  We were playing a district game against a school coached by a former high school classmate of mine.  We weren't very good that season, and played a handful of freshman.

Our TE was 14, and although he was 6'2" or so, he was pretty scrawny.  Great kid, worked hard.  However, he was getting his ass just whipped this game by their DE, who was a senior.  We chipped over a back to help out, but it didn't make much of a difference.  We got beat by 4-5 scores or so.

After the game, I'm talking to my former classmate.  He mentioned that our freshman looked like a good group (and they were; they were state semi-finalists a few years later) and complimented our TE.  I told him he was still wet behind the ears, and only 14.  He casually mentioned the DE was 19, and he was a special ed student who had been held back at some time and was going to turn 20 during his senior year.

Our JH team was 7th-8th graders. We played against a RB who should have been his varsity team. Of course they are just running dives and sweeps with this grown ass man.  On one particular dive he went through the line untouched. I'm the only thing between him and the goal line, so of course he is coming straight at me. So I broke down and exploded into him for the tackle. I got blown the fuck up. Legend has it that my first words when I came to was "Did he score?". The head coach just turned and walked off the field. I moved to DE the following week.

11 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Wasn't Edorian McCullough 20 when he hit campus?

The way some parents hold kids back for sports these days, it probably will be more common.  Held back for sports plus one year of failing could get you to 20 pretty quick.

Edited by Johnny Sack

On 3/2/2021 at 3:56 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

this is absolute fucking lunacy...I can think of at least 5 reasons off the top of my head why this is idiotic 

Interested in those 5 reasons. I have had 2  nineteen year old graduates on my sports teams. I have a current sophomore who will be 19 when he graduates. Doesn't happen often. Granted, I don't coach collision sports. But 5 reasons? 

I suspect that if a sport like wrestling is something that they do in Kentucky, there will be some seniors that come back for another year because they finished 2nd or 3rd.  Not good enough for a shot at wrestling in college, missed their ultimate goal by a little, so they come back to beat up on this year's juniors.
I bet that there aren't 3 people who wrestle in that state that are seniors with that same thought process. I say 3 to be nice, but I am leaning towards 0.

20 hours ago, slorch said:

For many people, it is.