Japanese Lab Grows “Meat” From Tissue

thunderlounge

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41538-021-00090-7

Lab grown meat from tissue culture of animal cells is sustainable, using cells without killing livestock, with lower land use and water footprint. Japanese scientists succeeded in culturing chunks of meat, using electrical stimulation to cause muscle cell contraction to mimic the texture of steak.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

So - Tuesday is now meaningless?
giphy.gif

Not sure I understand but if Tuesday is steak day and I have to eat some kind of Japanese test tube beef, I reckon so. I like my beef from real cows and I also like real moo cow fuck milk, as Lewis Black would say. 

1 hour ago, Restinmybones said:

Not sure I understand but if Tuesday is steak day and I have to eat some kind of Japanese test tube beef, I reckon so. I like my beef from real cows and I also like real moo cow fuck milk, as Lewis Black would say. 

Damn, son. Err’body know Tuesday is 2-piece and a biscuit day at Popeye’s. C’mon now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I imagine it’ll be fine on stuff like ground beef or sausage where the natural texture has already been ground to shot.  If it ends up being cheaper I’m sure fast food will adopt it.  

Maybe. Look what happened to Jack in the Box and trying kangaroo. 

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Damn, son. Err’body know Tuesday is 2-piece and a biscuit day at Popeye’s. C’mon now. 

Aw hell. I shoulda known. Thanks. Damnit, now I'm hungry for fried chicken. My wife doesn't like for me to cook it because I'm too messy in the kitchen.

17 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41538-021-00090-7

Lab grown meat from tissue culture of animal cells is sustainable, using cells without killing livestock, with lower land use and water footprint. Japanese scientists succeeded in culturing chunks of meat, using electrical stimulation to cause muscle cell contraction to mimic steak.

I am thinking that this could have a seriously negative impact for males.

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

Yep. I’m in the same boat. I have to fry fish and chicken outside. 

Well, that's better than nothing. We have a "fry daddy" that actually works pretty well. A few times a year, we go down to visit my mom {she's 90 and still rather spry} in rural south Texas {DeWitt County}. We have land down there and it has a great large pond for bass, crappie, and catfish. My son and I usually insist on getting together for a Saturday fish fry. She hesitates to admit it but she loves fried fish and chicken, too. She lets us do the fish indoors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

Well, that's better than nothing. We have a "fry daddy" that actually works pretty well. A few times a year, we go down to visit my mom {she's 90 and still rather spry} in rural south Texas {DeWitt County}. We have land down there and it has a great large pond for bass, crappie, and catfish. My son and I usually insist on getting together for a Saturday fish fry. She hesitates to admit it but she loves fried fish and chicken, too. She lets us do the fish indoors. 

I had a fry daddy. It was fine, but it was old and wore out. Never have replaced it, and been using cast iron on the propane grill. Doesn’t bother me when it’s nice out.

• Hook 'Em 1