City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

clapclapclap

16 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

All of the money means shit if the home is broken. 

I don't know that there is any correlation, esp at the margins, between expenditure and results. Anybody that thinks we can improve our system by spending more money on it is clearly a product of our system.

1 hour ago, Mole said:

I think this points to the disconnect. It’s easy and somewhat appropriate to come down on the parent and kid for their indifference, but their indifference isn’t irrational. If there’s no clear and apparent benefit to an education, why bother? We all say we value education, but if I didn’t see a clear path to how that education would help me, I probably wouldn’t really value it.

That is a valid point, and that's where the school district has to find a way to engage parents, and the kids.  Partnering with companies to create mentorships, internships, etc would go a long way to showing there is a route to a successful life with education.  That needs to be coupled with a strong trade school push for people as well.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That is a valid point, and that's where the school district has to find a way to engage parents, and the kids.  Partnering with companies to create mentorships, internships, etc would go a long way to showing there is a route to a successful life with education.  That needs to be coupled with a strong trade school push for people as well.

How do you engage a single mother who is working three jobs? it's not like she has time to join the PTA (also, there isn't a PTA). Or a single mother that is addicted to drug?

This shit is far too complicated to attempt to assign blame to any one group or issue. It's a shit stew of welfare, drugs, lack of a living wage which requires someone to work three minimum wage part-time jobs with no benefits to cover necessities, shitty public healthcare, crappy teacher pay, inequitable school funding, no path out of poverty except selling drugs, food deserts and nutritional disparities, lack of employment opportunities in poor communities, inadequate access to internet and basic technologies that are now pretty much essential, misappropriation of funds dedicated to support services, shitty parenting, having too many kids, etc. The list could go on and on and on.... 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

How do you engage a single mother who is working three jobs? it's not like she has time to join the PTA (also, there isn't a PTA). Or a single mother that is addicted to drug?

This shit is far too complicated to attempt to assign blame to any one group or issue. It's a shit stew of welfare, drugs, lack of a living wage which requires someone to work three minimum wage part-time jobs with no benefits to cover necessities, shitty public healthcare, crappy teacher pay, inequitable school funding, no path out of poverty except selling drugs, food deserts and nutritional disparities, lack of employment opportunities in poor communities, inadequate access to internet and basic technologies that are now pretty much essential, misappropriation of funds dedicated to support services, shitty parenting, having too many kids, etc. The list could go on and on and on.... 

Again, it's a multi party/part issue.  But hey, it's impossible so why try anything like say a mentorship or internship program with companies... Somehow the cycle has to be broken either thru the parents or thru the opportunities the school can provide that kids see as viable.

That is simply one idea as something that could be a tool used.

so how could this shitshow have been prevented? show me at which point someone could've made the mom or kid give a shit. it's not like he was a straight A student and then woke up the next morning and failed single day in high school. he and his mom had years of negligence which led to this situation.

someone who gives a shit: "hi mom, your kid failed all of his classes freshman year."

mom:

someone who gives a shit: "hi mom, your kid passed one class sophomore year."

mom:

someone who gives a shit" " hi mom, your kid passed one class junior year."

mom:

someone who stops giving a shit: "hi mom, your son passed 3 classes in 4 years. he failed. kthxbai."

mom: "on the horror. my sweet innocent smart son. yall did him dirty. i never knew about this. yall failed him!!!!!"

or 

someone who gives a shit: "hi kid, you failed all of your classes freshman year. you didn't turn in one single piece of homework. you failed every test. you know it because you were the one not doing it."

kid: 

someone who gives a shit: "hi kid, your failed all but one of your classes sophomore year. you finally did some homework. you finally passed a few tests. you know it because you gave enough shits to care for a few days."

kid:

someone who gives a shit: "hi kid, your failed all but one of your classes junior year. you finally did some homework. you finally passed a few tests. you know it because you gave enough shits to care for a few days."

kid:

someone who stops giving a shit: "hi kid, you passed 3 classes in 4 years. you failed. kthxbai."

kid: "on the horror. mom, they did me dirty. i never knew about this. they failed me!!!!!"

did social economics, culture, lack of good role models, and a bunch of shit affect his ability for success. fuck yea it did. but at the end of the day, he and his mom had 4 years worth of days to give a shit. i'm sure there were people willing to help. but like him and her, at some point they probably justifiably stop caring and trying. why should they be teacher, parent, role model, and social worker to a kid who wants none of it?

as i said earlier, if this kid or his mother gave a shit in 4 years, i'm sure they could've found help. but can't help people who don't care.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, crash_davis said:

so how could this shitshow have been prevented? show me at which point someone could've made the mom or kid give a shit. it's not like he was a straight A student and then woke up the next morning and failed single day in high school. he and his mom had years of negligence which led to this situation.

someone who gives a shit: "hi mom, your kid failed all of his classes freshman year."

mom:

someone who gives a shit: "hi mom, your kid passed one class sophomore year."

mom:

someone who gives a shit" " hi mom, your kid passed one class junior year."

mom:

someone who stops giving a shit: "hi mom, your son passed 3 classes in 4 years. he failed. kthxbai."

mom: "on the horror. my sweet innocent smart son. yall did him dirty. i never knew about this. yall failed him!!!!!"

or 

someone who gives a shit: "hi kid, you failed all of your classes freshman year. you didn't turn in one single piece of homework. you failed every test. you know it because you were the one not doing it."

kid: 

someone who gives a shit: "hi kid, your failed all but one of your classes sophomore year. you finally did some homework. you finally passed a few tests. you know it because you gave enough shits to care for a few days."

kid:

someone who gives a shit: "hi kid, your failed all but one of your classes junior year. you finally did some homework. you finally passed a few tests. you know it because you gave enough shits to care for a few days."

kid:

someone who stops giving a shit: "hi kid, you passed 3 classes in 4 years. you failed. kthxbai."

kid: "on the horror. mom, they did me dirty. i never knew about this. they failed me!!!!!"

did social economics, culture, lack of good role models, and a bunch of shit affect his ability for success. fuck yea it did. but at the end of the day, he and his mom had 4 years worth of days to give a shit. i'm sure there were people willing to help. but like him and her, at some point they probably justifiably stop caring and trying. why should they be teacher, parent, role model, and social worker to a kid who wants none of it?

as i said earlier, if this kid or his mother gave a shit in 4 years, i'm sure they could've found help. but can't help people who don't care.

without absolving them of blame, have you thought about why they don't give a shit?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

without absolving them of blame, have you thought about why they don't give a shit?

Because the family structure has massively and catastrophically deteriorated the last 70 years. We have way too many kids, and it is increasing for all races, with no father's in their lives. Those kids often are raised with no hope.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/3/2021 at 12:20 PM, ABSR said:

"Schools in the United States spend an average of $12,612 per pupil, which is the fifth-highest amount per pupil among the 37 other developed nations in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)." 

The countries with a higher spend are Luxembourg, Switzerland, Norway, and Austria....I believe.  This article does not call out any country but Luxembourg as the top so this list is from a different article.

The article actually looks to call out US spending as too low as it points to percentage of GDP to criticize US spending, but the reality is that with the fifth highest spend (public school only) per pupil, throwing more dollars at the problem is not necessarily addressing the underlying issues.

https://educationdata.org/public-education-spending-statistics

There is a MAJOR difference between US public school funding and at least most, if not the vast majority, if not all, other countries. That difference is the huge amounts we spend on sports. Other countries have not turned their high schools, and even middle schools, into the equivalent of minor sports leagues.  Do other countries' schools spend more on their sports programs than their science programs?

What would our ranking be if sports were not included in the totals?

Also, some western european nations, Germany for one, partner with large companies to offer what are basically apprenticeships for technical or trade skills. For example, a high school student in Germany may spend over half his school day learning how to weld at an airbus production facility. They get paid, and learn a skill. That cost is borne by airbus, not the school. My local high school has a great welding program. But the cost is nearly 100% paid for by the district.

Ag kids are transported by the school, along with their animals, (which are often raised and cared for at district facilities, on school time) a thousand miles from west texas to Houston so they can show their fucking goats at the Houston stock show. Does this happen in Luxembourg, Switzerland, et al?

I know that in my small town, high school students can take college classes at a local state college, but the high school is paying their tuition, not the parents, not the college, even if the kid never goes to class and fails miserably. This is a huge cost to the district, but the district gladly pays it because the more students that take these classes, the better the school's ranking. Do other countries partly shift the cost of college to the high school level?

Anyway, my point is, direct comparisons between US school funding and other countries' school funding is not a valid comparison without more detail and variables controlled for. 

Now, since this is The Surl, what follows is my obligatory surly attack (please don't take it personally):

"Throwing more dollars at the problem is not the answer." Not shit sherlock. You come up with that on your own?

• Hook 'Em 2

And if the standard when parenting is "I didn't know about it so not my fault" then we are completely fvcked as a society.

Kids need two parent families, mentorship and guidance.

And work on stopping kids from having kids. Offering free IUDs to all post-pubescent females with a cash incentive would be a good start.

Very few people who graduate high school, obey they law, don't abuse substances, work fulltime and wait until 21 to have kids live in squalor.

23 hours ago, irishtexan said:

It's like none of y'all have seen the Wire....

My favorite scene in the season about the cop who became a math teacher:

Excop/teacher's old asshole partner: "why do you care so much about this kid?"

Excop/teacher (gives old partner a look of disbelief): "Because he's my student."

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

There is a MAJOR difference between US public school funding and at least most, if not the vast majority, if not all, other countries. That difference is the huge amounts we spend on sports. Other countries have not turned their high schools, and even middle schools, into the equivalent of minor sports leagues.  Do other countries' schools spend more on their sports programs than their science programs?

What would our ranking be if sports were not included in the totals?

Also, some western european nations, Germany for one, partner with large companies to offer what are basically apprenticeships for technical or trade skills. For example, a high school student in Germany may spend over half his school day learning how to weld at an airbus production facility. They get paid, and learn a skill. That cost is borne by airbus, not the school. My local high school has a great welding program. But the cost is nearly 100% paid for by the district.

Ag kids are transported by the school, along with their animals, (which are often raised and cared for at district facilities, on school time) a thousand miles from west texas to Houston so they can show their fucking goats at the Houston stock show. Does this happen in Luxembourg, Switzerland, et al?

I know that in my small town, high school students can take college classes at a local state college, but the high school is paying their tuition, not the parents, not the college, even if the kid never goes to class and fails miserably. This is a huge cost to the district, but the district gladly pays it because the more students that take these classes, the better the school's ranking. Do other countries partly shift the cost of college to the high school level?

Anyway, my point is, direct comparisons between US school funding and other countries' school funding is not a valid comparison without more detail and variables controlled for. 

Now, since this is The Surl, what follows is my obligatory surly attack (please don't take it personally):

"Throwing more dollars at the problem is not the answer." Not shit sherlock. You come up with that on your own?

The link I provided as reference ranks the US based on spending per pupil.  It also shows dollar totals for funding per pupil which is $2,228 more than the number used for ranking, so I would assume that encompasses either capital projects, extra-curricular spending and/or other spending...but the link doesn't have that much detail and I don't care enough to dig further.

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Because the family structure has massively and catastrophically deteriorated the last 70 years. We have way too many kids, and it is increasing for all races, with no father's in their lives. Those kids often are raised with no hope.

spacer.png

I wonder what happened in the 60s to make that spike?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

And if the standard when parenting is "I didn't know about it so not my fault" then we are completely fvcked as a society.

Kids need two parent families, mentorship and guidance.

And work on stopping kids from having kids. Offering free IUDs to all post-pubescent females with a cash incentive would be a good start.

Very few people who graduate high school, obey they law, don't abuse substances, work fulltime and wait until 21 to have kids live in squalor.

Teenage pregnancy is at an all time low.  It peaked in the late 50s. Now many of those 1950s pregnancies were young women getting married but I don't think there are many unmarried teenagers getting pregnant today as we all want to think

I also wonder how that non-marital stat treats live-in boyfriend/baby daddy. I don't think that is as good as the parents being married but nonmarital doesn't 100% equate to no father on the scene.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Teenage pregnancy is at an all time low.  It peaked in the late 50s. Now many of those 1950s pregnancies were young women getting married but I don't think there are many unmarried teenagers getting pregnant today as we all want to think

I also wonder how that non-marital stat treats live-in boyfriend/baby daddy. I don't think that is as good as the parents being married but nonmarital doesn't 100% equate to no father on the scene.

No doubt about your last point. I would like to see the numbers. I feel like there probably is a decent relationship to marriages out of wedlock and fatherless homes. 

I also feel this applies a lot to Hispanics. From my experience, and I spend a good deal of my younger years in the RGV, there are quite a few hispanics who are church married or married in mexico, but never got their US wedding license so they can get the bennies of a single parent household, but live together as husband and wife. I am quite sure plenty of other races do the same. I just do not believe more than half Hispanics grow up without a dad in their home.  That is not my experience at all.  Or close to it. Family is a big, big deal to Hispanics.

Edited by Johnny Sack

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We started paying black peoples to fuck.  That your point, sparky?  Care to delve into it a little deeper?  

Did I ask a scary question? I mean just seems fatherlessness was going down in all races and then a shift all at the same time. Except whites who was going up already.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Did I ask a scary question? I mean just seems fatherlessness was going down in all races and then a shift all at the same time. Except whites who was going up already.

You didn’t ask a scary question, you just didn’t directly  say what you meant.  Go ahead and ask, how come black peoples fatherless rates started going up around 1960?  And then tell us why, since you so obviously know.  Put your big boy chanclas on, and tell us what you mean, son.  

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:23 AM, Samson's Wig said:

Kids like that shouldn't be in school in the first place. They should have just flunked his ass if he wasn't doing the work until he got the message or dropped out. That's one small part of the problem with our public school system.  We cater to the lowest common denominator instead of focusing on pumping out as many high functioning citizens as possible.  I have no idea about Maryland, but I suspect pushing him along was tied to funding issues. 

Bingo.  It is what makes the vast majority of public school districts in California fucking worthless.  When my son was 3 we went to an open house for the public school that is literally 150 yds from our house.  We walked into a kindergarten class, and I looked up on the board, and it said "today's English word of the day is... (whatever it was, I don't recall)".  So I asked the teacher what that was about, and she said they have to get a lot of the Spanish language speaking students to learn english before they can learn the subjects.  Uh, OK.  So the entire class has to move at a snail's pace to allow everyone to get to the same place in theory.  So they start behind, and continue to get further and further behind.  

So now we have spent ungodly amounts on private school tuition since kindergarten for both of our kids.  And we really had no choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Bingo.  It is what makes the vast majority of public school districts in California fucking worthless.  When my son was 3 we went to an open house for the public school that is literally 150 yds from our house.  We walked into a kindergarten class, and I looked up on the board, and it said "today's English word of the day is... (whatever it was, I don't recall)".  So I asked the teacher what that was about, and she said they have to get a lot of the Spanish language speaking students to learn english before they can learn the subjects.  Uh, OK.  So the entire class has to move at a snail's pace to allow everyone to get to the same place in theory.  So they start behind, and continue to get further and further behind.  

So now we have spent ungodly amounts on private school tuition since kindergarten for both of our kids.  And we really had no choice.

Waiting For Superman....   great movie, and explains the failing public school system beautifully.

I also don't understand why more school districts don't adopt tiered systems. Advanced pace kids split off into gifted programs, and the majority of kids move along the typical track. That would require actual work though so nope. We were lucky that system existed in our county.

Waiting For Superman....   great movie, and explains the failing public school system beautifully.
I also don't understand why more school districts don't adopt tiered systems. Advanced pace kids split off into gifted programs, and the majority of kids move along the typical track. That would require actual work though so nope. We were lucky that system existed in our county.

The self esteem movement killed any thought of this. Want to be in the advanced class - work harder. Good luck peddling that in today’s society.

1 minute ago, TexasBeta said:

The self esteem movement killed any thought of this. Want to be in the advanced class - work harder. Good luck peddling that in today’s society.

It's out there, but defintely the exception to the rule, and yeah that whole BS give 'em all a trophy shit is one of the worst, most detrimental things ever to come down he pike, started by people who could never win a trophy.  Parents living thru their kids kind of shit.

29 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Come on, man, you’re real quick to reply most times, tell us why the shift happened.  

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's out there, but defintely the exception to the rule, and yeah that whole BS give 'em all a trophy shit is one of the worst, most detrimental things ever to come down he pike, started by people who could never win a trophy.  Parents living thru their kids kind of shit.

Tell me where in your ass the trophy you were born with touched you.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

spacer.png

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Come on, man, you’re real quick to reply most times, tell us why the shift happened.  

That's subjective.

32 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You didn’t ask a scary question, you just didn’t directly  say what you meant.  Go ahead and ask, how come black peoples fatherless rates started going up around 1960?  And then tell us why, since you so obviously know.  Put your big boy chanclas on, and tell us what you mean, son.  

It does seem to rise after LBJ's legislation. 

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I mean that's what you're saying.

No I’m saying I don’t want some two bit white trash welder who can’t rub two sticks together and formulate his own thoughts to define what’s going on here.  That’s you.  You had something you wanted to say about black people and the great society, either say it or get the fuck out.  I’ve had it with people like you.  Passive aggressive cunts no longer welcome.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

No I’m saying I don’t want some two bit white trash welder who can’t rub two sticks together and formulate his own thoughts to define what’s going on here.  That’s you.  You had something you wanted to say about black people and the great society, either say it or get the fuck out.  I’ve had it with people like you.  Passive aggressive cunts no longer welcome.  

No that's you projecting m

54 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sister loves her public schools in Santa Monica, but I assume real estate prices basically make it a private school by proxy due to cost of entry. 

Does California not have any options for parents dealing with public schools?

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sister loves her public schools in Santa Monica, but I assume real estate prices basically make it a private school by proxy due to cost of entry. 

Does California not have any options for parents dealing with public schools?

Oh, it's typically nowhere near what is being described above.  I was just referencing the prior quote of public schools teaching to the lowest common denominator.  Sinking tide lowers all ships, as it were.  

Santa Monica is a real mixed bag from the public school perspective.  And yes, a 2 bd condo is a million starting price.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

its not 100% but lets not pretend like it is significant at all.   the "live in boyfriend/baby daddy" thing is a farce.  we aren't talking Kurt Russell Goldie Hawn here.

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Ok.  Still, go ahead and say what you meant.  You scared?  

It seems like you're saying that President Eisenhower's Civil Rights Act dramatically turned the fatherlessness in all races, unless you mean some other type of legislation?

It looks like to me that LBJ's Great Society reforms seems to be the catalyst. At least that's what it looks like, and that's why I asked.

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Go on, son.  

Holy hell, are you sure you're not mad? Is this you?