City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

clapclapclap

8 hours ago, ndawg said:

This right here. There is always a certain degree of dysfunction present in complex systems. We can look at our outcomes, and compare them to other first world countries, and clearly see that we have more dysfunction than they have. We can also look at our states and see variation among them. The bleak reality is hiding in plain sight right in front of us, just like healthcare.

The American political landscape isn't equipped to address dysfunction. We elect leaders on the basis of tribal identity and sound bytes, who promise "easy" answers. But "easy" answers don't even begin to address dysfunction, and at best they merely rearrange where the problems manifest. To actually correct dysfunction you need an approach that can't fit into a sound byte -- improvement has to happen holistically among the entire ranks, top to bottom. Ideology doesn't matter, except that dogmatic thinking is a limitation. And to correct dysfunction, you often have to try things that have a risk of failure, but American politics treats failure as fodder for oppositions to build a case against incumbents, rather than a data point to help correct and reorient.

Education isn't going to get fixed by simple minded "fixes" like eliminating teachers unions, paying them more, etc. Poverty doesn't go away with by installing the "correct" macroeconomic principles. It's impossible to believe anyone who thinks they've got THE answer for what's going to fix any complex problem.

Yep.  Annual standardized testing was one of those efforts to "fix the schools" that didn't fix anything.  And probably made things worse in a lot of ways.

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

“This may not be politically correct," he said, "but I know the power of what faith and family can do. … Our kids need that structure. … I am asking … that we also don’t shy away from a full discussion about the importance of family and faith helping to develop and nurture character, self-respect, a value system and a moral compass that allows kids to know good from bad and right from wrong.”

He added: “If we’re going to solve this … we’ve got to have a real discussion. … Parts of the conversation cannot be off-limits because it’s not politically comfortable. … We are going to discuss issues that have been taboo in years past because they are part of the solution. … We also have a responsibility to help nurture character. It plays a role. Our kids need that moral structure in their lives. And we cannot be scared to have this conversation.”

-Rahm Emmanuel, Mayor of Chicago after a weekend with 70 shooting victims  

Didn’t work out to well for him, and is a huge obstacle for any real progress going forward. Facts and common sense will be canceled for feelings and micro aggressions. 

The discussion of religion in schools always seems to me at least, an attempt to indoctrinate kids and little else.   This paper explored the link between religion and academic performance, and existing literature and found there was no real link.  Included in this paper are studies about Islamic and Christian studies from various regions/societies (Iran, Malaysia, USA).     

Rahm Emmanuel is a politician.   His subtle claim that religion would benefit kids is not based on evidence, but rather it seems to me that it is his way of throwing his hands up at a problem that is within his purview by claiming we need something that is explicitly prohibited by the U.S. Constitution.   

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The discussion of religion in schools always seems to me at least, an attempt to indoctrinate kids and little else.   This paper explored the link between religion and academic performance, and existing literature and found there was no real link.  Included in this paper are studies about Islamic and Christian studies from various regions/societies (Iran, Malaysia, USA).     

Rahm Emmanuel is a politician.   His subtle claim that religion would benefit kids is not based on evidence, but rather it seems to me that it is his way of throwing his hands up at a problem that is within his purview by claiming we need something that is explicitly prohibited by the U.S. Constitution.   

Is school a form of gov't ?  I have no problem with religious studies classes being taught in schools as an elective. Allowing religious studies classes is not a violation of separation of church and state.

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I guess he should have left out the word faith as it will cause some to focus only on that term and “religion”. Remove that one word and every bit of what he said is 100% true. 

I guess I could see how some see it as back door religion, but that misses his real point IMO

Also, he was not criticized for speaking about religion. He was attacked for suggesting a correlation to morals, or victim blaming. Which in itself is ironic as the perpetrators are also the victims. They also claimed it was because of the lack of investment in things like education, yet Illinois spends more per student than any mid west state. $13k per

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-spends-the-most-per-student-of-any-state-in-the-midwest/

Edited by ChickenSandwich

10 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I guess he should have left out the word faith as it will cause some to focus only on that term and “religion”. Remove that one word and every bit of what he said is 100% true. 

I guess I could see how some see it as back door religion, but that misses his real point IMO

Also, he was not criticized for speaking about religion. He was attacked for suggesting a correlation to morals, or victim blaming. Which in itself is ironic as the perpetrators are also the victims. They also claimed it was because of the lack of investment in things like education, yet Illinois spends more per student than any mid west state. $13k per

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-spends-the-most-per-student-of-any-state-in-the-midwest/

Spending != Actually investing in students. We spend the most money out of any developed country on healthcare but most of it isn't actually spent on care

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The government for years has been paying students for grades in the form of minimum GPAs to qualify for financial aid and scholarships.  

If you're a professor, surely you've noticed how much the oversight of federal financial aid regulations has ramped up over the last few years.  I still don't fucking understand the difference between an "earned F" and an "unearned F."

Why did you quote me? That was @Mole

14 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is school a form of gov't ?  I have no problem with religious studies classes being taught in schools as an elective. Allowing religious studies classes is not a violation of separation of church and state.

Religion being taught in a historical context is already part of world history.  Religion being taught as an elective would be fine, but I really think there are more pressing items to teach children, including financial literacy and home education.   Religion is important and knowing its context is a cultural benefit for that person's enrichment, but I think people, especially younger ones, tend to fuck themselves with finance mistakes more than any other subject. 

14 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Again this is not shown to be the case.  Are the reason that families with structure (rules), consistency (same parent(s), home, parent's jobs, predictable income), and free time involvement with the children (supporting their activities, church, fitness, etc.) do better because they decided to buck up or is it because they have the stability of income and can afford the time to spend with their children?    We all know that it is better to have kids when we are able to afford them, and are in established committed relationships, but once the toothpaste has left the tube, focusing on that aspect seems wasted. 

Rahm was in a difficult situation, sure.  There are decades upon decades of disenfranchisement of communities, coupled with well documented corruption within that city  that only magnify the problems that he was dealing with.  But he asked for that job.  So when I read those comments, I do not see a man taking responsibility, but instead I see a leader offering up non-helpful commentary in lieu of an actual plan to address it.   

So what are other possible relationships or suggestions to try to unfuck the OP's school and how long are we willing to wait to see impact?  

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Religion being taught in a historical context is already part of world history.  Religion being taught as an elective would be fine, but I really think there are more pressing items to teach children, including financial literacy and home education.   Religion is important and knowing its context is a cultural benefit for that person's enrichment, but I think people, especially younger ones, tend to fuck themselves with finance mistakes more than any other subject. 

I disagree about it being part of world history curriculum, as it would only be a chapter at most of study.    It shouldn't be taught as indoctrination courses..... of course.  Religion is one of the major influences in the world, for better and worse.

I agree we need to be teaching kids about finance (that might head off a lot of $100k tuition payments for non revenue generating college degrees), and I'd also say better civics course in how gov't, and the constitution works as at least 2 courses during HS.

We need a 2 or maybe 3 track HS experience: college bound, a skilled trade, labor track, and maybe a track to make people at least self sufficient when they get out of school with some basic living skills.

Don't know if this appropriate place or not, but I thought this was a very interesting article. I have been guilty of talking to private school admins/teachers like they are business associates and levying expectations, and accountability and expectations that they will be take clarification meetings,etc., and don't think it's necessarily a bad thing as outlined in the article.

But also speaks about the black experience in good schools:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/04/private-schools-are-indefensible/618078/