Calling all Surly Musicians

immamac

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I would love to contribute for the pod but my kids watch too much Mickey Mouse clubhouse and that’s the only tune I can come up with and I don’t want Disney suing us 

it’s the Surly Horns podcast

come inside it’s fun inside

S-U-R-L-Y  H-O-R-N-S

baby snark

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey, here's a really great opportunity to share music shit that I've done (I'm a full-time musician, have been now for 20 years) and use this as a cheesy excuse.

In homage to Shaggy/Surly/Sarky, I did this thing like 3 years ago a la Michael Diddler JackOffYourSon Billie Jean style - opened Garageband (I have something else now, though Garageband is pretty good in 2021!) and popped in all the instruments.

Anyway,  probably appropriate for Shaggy because:
- most of you touch yourself at night, like Michael did with 8 year olds;
- this is when I had no fucking idea whatsoever of how to play lead guitar (now I have a remote clue at least); since Shaggy is full of people pretending to know shit that they really don't and spouting off about it, I thought it would be nice.
- It's got a groove and if nothing else, you can wear sunglasses, snap your fingers and look cool to try and pick up chicks...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOW1Q9WOcQ-DURsm4AuJAKltgmqqeZ0p/view?usp=sharing

Seriously though, a bunch of us are decent musicians on here (judging by the guitar thread it's like 3,048 guitarists, 3 keyboardists, 2 drummers, and 45 bassoon players).  We have recording studios, uniforms, and everything!  I would be up for collaborating but nothing do-or-die by tomorrow (I have several projects I'm working on right now, under deadlines). if someone else wants to work up ideas.  

I'll check back in later.  Until then, slip on your platforms and get your groove on, homeys!  1980 never sounded so bitchin'!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

In case it hasn't been mentioned, keep in mind you technically need to pay a licensing fee if you're going to use any song that's not in the public domain

Isn’t there like a 30 or less limit or some shit? I for some reason thought it had to be of a certain length or longer before the money kicked in. 

4 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Isn’t there like a 30 or less limit or some shit? I for some reason thought it had to be of a certain length or longer before the money kicked in. 

Nah. I think using a really short sample helps if you're trying to make a fair use argument, but 30 seconds is way too much. That'd mean most commercials could use songs freely.

Edited by SquishMitten
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

In case it hasn't been mentioned, keep in mind you technically need to pay a licensing fee if you're going to use any song that's not in the public domain

Not to squish your valid point but I think collectively we have too many lawyers. Not your Thomas J Henry types that can afford 100000000 commercials during the Covid daily. But we got this. Also, our Minister of Culture posts here mostly basketball and food still...

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Not to squish your valid point but I think collectively we have too many lawyers. Not your Thomas J Henry types that can afford 100000000 commercials during the Covid daily. But we got this. Also, our Minister of Culture posts here mostly basketball and food still...

Good point. That's why we're still posting on ShaggyBevo...wait, no, I mean ShaggyTexas

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

No army of lawyers can save you from BMI/ASCAP on the warpath on a clear copyright violation.

I wonder if the same crawlers that sniff out copyright music on youtube and other platforms could find it in a podcast?

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Nah. I think using a really short sample helps if you're trying to make a fair use argument, but 30 seconds is way too much. That'd mean most commercials could use songs freely.

Maybe it was 10 or 15. But for some reason there is something surrounding that stuck in my head for some reason. Maybe it was something to do with between members of ASCAP or some shit. Hard telling at this point. 

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No army of lawyers can save you from BMI/ASCAP on the warpath on a clear copyright violation.

I wonder if the same crawlers that sniff out copyright music on youtube and other platforms could find it in a podcast?

Boilerplate! You rock!

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Lol, want to collaborate on something belligerently stupid, @sidis?

oh man, i was in the midst of writing something in the style of mozart currently...this would be a shake-up.

do you want it to sound cool and professional, immamac or do you want it to sound gritty and like a parody?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And the black people. 

You mean like Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams and Quan Cosby?  Or are there other black people you're thinking of, perhaps ones who agree with you?  But back to the original point of this thread, how about getting some Surly bastardos with kazoos to play I've Been Working On The Railroad?

This is going to take something very progressive, suitable for all and extremely unique.

Marc Rebillet is someone that we can use.

I’ll let you have a little sample of what I believe stands above the rest of these mainstream, simple minded suggestions.

Join me in celebrating Marc as he answers this special request for artistry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The rights for music on podcasts are DRASTICALLY different from those for radio, advertising, and youtube.  They are MUCH more strict.  I've done a little research on this, enough to know that if you want to use someone's music on a podcast, you have to pretty much get their approval for each specific song.  

I'm trying to find out how the dude from the Strong Songs podcast is able to do what he does.  

But for something like this, having original music is the way to go.  I think the guys who run the Dopey podcast have done a cool thing with that one.  Something like the lyrics that @Pato del Muerto posted.  Liked what @phdhorn entry as well.   Interested to see what @Celery Man and the rest of the Surly Guitar Mafia can come up with.  

20 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Errbody can fart into a mic. Can you fart tunes? Can you fart MIDI code?

lepetomane2-1.jpg

20 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

French Vanilla, Rocky Road,

Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough

Poop, there it is

Poop, there it is

• Haha 1

• immamac featured and pinned this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic