Calling all Surly Musicians

immamac

cc: [mention=5437]shadow_operative[/mention]
[mention=2521]tbone_[/mention] is posting some nice recordings from his duo in the guitar pron thread. We should make him get his lady friend to do it. If we can get like a tik tok of him explaining what it's for  (and... what does this "naoch" lyric reference and how do you even pronounce...) that could also make for good content

Lol I can’t even imagine how I’d try to explain the surl to her.
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah, I was hoping that I'd get a bit more of a full acoustic sound, but the audio capture isn't incredible and that one is a little distorted as well from being loud and close. Either way - I'm cool with you using that and/or the previous one however you see fit, and if you want something that isn't there I can do my best to provide it. If you're banging your head against the wall trying to get things to line up, I can also try again - I'm playing guitar in the attic while my pregnant wife sleeps with her little dog downstairs. He barks like an asshole when I venture down, and last night I didn't have any headphones up there and so was trying to maintain tempo by watching a fucking youtube video. I have headphones and can listen to a click if I bring them up with me and get something that might be easier to splice around. I can also try and get some "amplified" sounds if we'd like.

tl;dr - you're the producer, use what you want how you want, let me know what you need, I can get more consistent takes if it's hard to line things up, and I can get some different sounds if you'd like some different sounds. Or different parts (or adjusted parts) if you can describe a bit what you're going for.

Well, the news is very good!

Man, I wasn't sure going into this afternoon that I could pull it off without completely re-recording the guitars.  But it worked, I haven't had to (yippee!) and it's going to sound great (IMHO).   I didn't know if I could mix your parts into a steady beat without it sounding choppy with all the splicing... but I could!  I took both your guitar parts and pretty much diced them to fit into a steady 124 qtr. beat.  Here's a pic to scare you, lol!  All those sections are where I chopped/moved/aligned.

64899199_Choppedupguits.thumb.jpg.305d721ac2736cbb09b42543f3562401.jpg

But, I purposely put this in because how it sounds is nothing like how it looks!  It's coming out remarkably smooth!  You can't tell it was punched in except maybe (or maybe not) one tiny place... and I can fix that if I want.  You see if you can find it when I put the mix up and I'll go from there. 

And the good thing for you is that I mixed the acoustic together with the Tele and get a pretty damn nice high/deeper sound (or so I think).  Right now I have both guitars mixing to my ear (Tele is just a tiny hair louder to bring out that treble) and still panning to the left, so the Strat still takes the right. 

Not sure if I'll add any keys - it sounds pretty nice right now.  But I'll decide after the mix (and open to suggestions).

I also have another idea using your acoustic/tele mix with a little lead I'll stick over it, maybe no other instruments for other breaks (i.e. during the show, not opening/closing).. I'll put those in tomorrow and you can comment.

The drums sound TONS better and the bass I had to re-record because it just wasn't loud enough.  Now it's got plenty of boom.

I'm gonna eat dinner and then finish the mixing.  Probably mid-evening or so.

This is working out very well IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 2

Okay, here it is... nice (again IMHO).  Like how your guitars came out, kinda 12-stringish.  From a phone?  Wow.

Notes:
1) Didn't fade ending, I could... this is 1 min. long which is plenty of time for a bumper.
2) It's possible for us to add onto this and extend it... we could use the same D-A-E progression, build a contrasting "verse" sec. (I have ideas), etc.  Lots of room here to seamlessly add on.
3) Didn't add keys tonight.  Might tomorrow.
4) Mix is pretty good but wanted to get away and rest my ears.  Let me know if something is amiss or can be bumped up better.  
5) Again, this is not an overwrite of the 1st version.. I'm keeping that for evolution/reference/etc.

All in all it seems pretty decent for bumper music?  

As to the other issues (lyrics, making a song, etc.) that bridge is up ahead.  I'd be glad to give writing a song a shot, but am equally content to let others do it first.  So I'll see how this goes.  Celery, I can discuss w/you the possibilities in making a longer song (chord progressions in the "verses" or whatnot, etc.). But for now I'm done for the night I think.

Man I'm so happy I could get this to follow a steady rhythm!  Love it now (bigger drums and bass for two things, but really esp. do like your guitar in this).  Getting close to a final product(?)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FjcEz7tCriFCDVQZt-1x1nw7bzjbPxzE/view?usp=sharing

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Okay, here it is... nice (again IMHO).  Like how your guitars came out, kinda 12-stringish.  From a phone?  Wow.

Notes:
1) Didn't fade ending, I could... this is 1 min. long which is plenty of time for a bumper.
2) It's possible for us to add onto this and extend it... we could use the same D-A-E progression, build a contrasting "verse" sec. (I have ideas), etc.  Lots of room here to seamlessly add on.
3) Didn't add keys tonight.  Might tomorrow.
4) Mix is pretty good but wanted to get away and rest my ears.  Let me know if something is amiss or can be bumped up better.  
5) Again, this is not an overwrite of the 1st version.. I'm keeping that for evolution/reference/etc.

All in all it seems pretty decent for bumper music?  

As to the other issues (lyrics, making a song, etc.) that bridge is up ahead.  I'd be glad to give writing a song a shot, but am equally content to let others do it first.  So I'll see how this goes.  Celery, I can discuss w/you the possibilities in making a longer song (chord progressions in the "verses" or whatnot, etc.). But for now I'm done for the night I think.

Man I'm so happy I could get this to follow a steady rhythm!  Love it now (bigger drums and bass for two things, but really esp. do like your guitar in this).  Getting close to a final product(?)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FjcEz7tCriFCDVQZt-1x1nw7bzjbPxzE/view?usp=sharing

That’s bad ass

On 3/11/2021 at 8:51 AM, Celery Man said:

Anyone play slide guitar?

Getting back to this after a few days, thought I'd try it w/my Fender brass slide.  This would be a "soft break", i.e. not opening or closing, but "we'll be back after a short break" kind of thing.  Not the worst effort, if not the best, but you get the idea - anyone want to work one in, let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XOwFciypNVjmkbRdyVjssTzEab9KRc4P/view?usp=sharing

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

LOL, thanks for the mighty props on the slide clip. That's okay though one man's shit is another man's fertilizer. Nevertheless, although I was just goofing around and it was an unrefined take, I kind of liked it. So I guess I'll have to refund the $500 residual I got. Oh, wait...

No really, it's all good and l had a good laugh (don't ever go into music if you can't).

ph cloudcaser

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

LOL, thanks for the mighty props on the slide clip. That's okay though one man's shit is another man's fertilizer. Nevertheless, although I was just goofing around and it was an unrefined take, I kind of liked it. So I guess I'll have to refund the $500 residual I got. Oh, wait...

No really, it's all good and l had a good laugh (don't ever go into music if you can't).

ph cloudcaser

Love everything you've done. Let's see where it goes this week!