Taylor Sheridan’s “Without Remorse”

GreenspointTexas

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

There was a woman in it.

Pitch Meeting:

Filmmaker #1: I just want to make an action movie, but Paramount and the money people want me to make a movie about some Jack Clark guy who was a Navy Seal, only it's Jack Kelly, and then he changes his name or to Jack Clark.  Or maybe it's Jack Clark and then he changes it to Jack Kelly.  No wait, it's Jack Ryan and he changes it to John Clark.  And it's about Vietnam and POWs, and his pregnant wife dies somehow, and maybe a Russian guy is involving and he's running drugs, and he kills a hooker that this Clark or Ryan guy was seeing on the side.  That's what my intern said, and he saw it on Wikipedia.  And they want a sequel already about how he creates an anti-terrorism that  that is international and chases rainbows or some rainbow terrorist organization or something, and there's like 6 members, kind of like G I Joe, and by the way there is a new G I Joe movie coming out in a couple of years, so we should hint at our sequel in the end credits, like Marvel movies.  

Filmmaker #1: I just want to phone it in. I don't want to have to read some books and pour through scripts.

Filmmaker #2: How about we just write an action movie, we'll have the main guy named John Ryan or whatever and then he changes it when he goes undercover. We can have some Russians in it.  We can have his pregnant wife murdered, or the hooker on the side that was murdered by Russians.  Doesn't matter, just have the pregnant wife murdered, that will draw the audience in, and we can phone it in on everything else.

Filmmaker #1: Yeah, but they'll bitch that it's not like the book, and that the writing and production is shitty.

Filmmaker #2: He's a Navy Seal?  Stick a woman Seal in the movie, like that Demi Moore movie - Private Benjamin or whatever.  Everybody will fixate on that and ignore that you are skimping on the writing and production.

Filmmaker #1: Damn you're good!

Think Wake Up GIF by Rosanna Pansino

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 9:04 AM, atomheartbevo said:

The most amazing thing about this movie is that it was supposed to be a tent pole movie for one of the largest studios, and it was supposed to be released in theaters.  

Yikes. I think some of these studios need to retool their process. I don’t get how anyone reads dialogue in that script and says, yep, let’s spend 100 million on that. I think the old model needs updating. Marvel and Disney do it right. They spend years developing the story and script, and it’s not just one person contracted to write a script. 

• Like 1

I’m a little surprised because I thought Sicario 2 was somewhat entertaining. I guess that’s the difference between brolin/del toro and MBJ/bald girl. 
Sicario 2 sucked so bad they would need to make 3 and 4 kickass to redeem the franchise.

Yikes. I think some of these studios need to retool their process. I don’t get how anyone reads dialogue in that script and says, yep, let’s spend 100 million on that. I think the old model needs updating. Marvel and Disney do it right. They spend years developing the story and script, and it’s not just one person contracted to write a script. 

Yeah, script by committee and by meddling studios dont always work.

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Episodes 7, 8, and 9 would like to have a word with you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yeah, script by committee and by meddling studios dont always work.

I agree. But when you investing that much capital, I just can’t fathom how some scripts get green lit. This one. The Star Wars sequels come to mind. Don’t they have focus groups reading this shit? 

just noticed the post above. Yeah, Disney needs to fire whoever let that happen. I think they relied on Kathleen Kennedy and she hired whoever to do everything and hoped for the best. 

Edited by Neonmoon

I agree. But when you investing that much capital, I just can’t fathom how some scripts get green lit. This one. The Star Wars sequels come to mind. Don’t they have focus groups reading this shit? 

just noticed the post above. Yeah, Disney needs to fire whoever let that happen. I think they relied on Kathleen Kennedy and she hired whoever to do everything and hoped for the best. 

Focus groups are part of the problem. Find the right creative to do the work, and let them do their thing.

Marvel can’t be easily replicated and shouldnt be used as a template for regular movies. And even then, they’ve put out some shit and parts of movies are problematic.

Just watched this - it was OK, certainly not the movie I was expecting.

People bitching about wokeness need to freaking lighten up. People just want to get up in arms about anything these days.

Frankly the woman playing Greer was pretty flat as an actress, she was weak the whole time.

The plot went too many places IMHO. I was entertained, at times wondered where the heck they were going.

• Like 1