Jimmy Kimmel: canceling Dr. Seuss is how Trump gets reelected

closetohumping

I have no doubt that private business decisions like the Potato Head and Dr. Seuss changes will be leveraged against the Biden/Harris/Dem candidate by Republicans, but it's really not a legitimate criticism.  Now, if the D candidate comes out in support of those actions, sure. 

Sentient adults (meaning "not Republicans") should realize that Hasbro has simply removed "Mr." from their branding of the line, and they will still make Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head.  Those Seuss books are still out there, too.  Kimmel is tilting at windmills.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

NO ONE BUT HIS OWN FAMILY CANCELLED HIM.

And it was 6 books they removed from circulation. 

God damn this is fucking regarded, stop fucking parroting it. 

1 -- this.

2 -- it doesn't matter.  

Think of what stupid people would say and believe.  That will be the dominant narrative.  The United States of Stupid.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes, it's Brietbart which is a trash rag, but I wonder if Jimmy has a point here?  Have we gone too far?  Ready for negs as I know Breitbart sucks. 

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/03/04/jimmy-kimmel-canceling-dr-seuss-is-how-trump-gets-reelected/

Fuck you, listen to this man:

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

NO ONE BUT HIS OWN FAMILY CANCELLED HIM.

And it was 6 books they removed from circulation. 

God damn this is fucking regarded, stop fucking parroting it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

The Republicans will continue to search for culture wars.  Their entire current identity requires these complete non-stories to be magnified to absurd levels.  If it's not Dr. Seuss, they'll still find something else.  Dumb take, Jimmy.

Don't worry, I'm wholly confident Texas Republicans will run on using the EOT culture war in 2022.  

• Like 1

Pretty obvious Kimmel was joking and there's no sense looking for any deep meaning here.

OP, why not post the text of the link? And why post a brietbart link instead of the readily available and more entertaining source? Negged for knowing better and still doing it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I think Jimmy is right.  This type of stuff just feeds the base and the olds.  

Except, you know, nobody "cancelled" Dr. Seuss....except his own family who decided what they want to be published or not.

But you're right -- the narrative sells.  It will sell very well.  Because at the foundation of our country is a huge swath of people who, deep down, are pissed off that they can't tell N-word jokes anymore.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Except, you know, nobody "cancelled" Dr. Seuss....except his own family who decided what they want to be published or not.

But you're right -- the narrative sells.  It will sell very well.  Because at the foundation of our country is a huge swath of people who, deep down, are pissed off that they can't tell N-word jokes anymore.

Narrative is all that matters.  We left facts behind a long time ago.  

• Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

If not Dr. Seuss, they'd find something else stupid for their culture wars.

They can't win on ideas, so they try to win on this bullshit.  It's basically the "migrant caravan" play of 2018 which....didn't work. It's not going to turn educated suburban voters/women back to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The country is literally falling apart.  Our infrastructure is failing.  We can't keep the power on, and people die because of it (seriously, fucking third world countries are laughing at us).  We can't deliver safe drinking water -- Flint, Texas, other places.  We can't come up with a coherent strategy to deal with a deadly pandemic.

We have HUGE issues facing us.  Issues that have an impact both on whether we live, and the quality of our lives.

And what does the GQP care about?  Whether private parties can stop publishing things that they believe are racially antiquated and insensitive.  Whether we should fight to protect statues of confederate heroes that were put in place to remind black people of their place.  Whether we should REQUIRE (like, mandate, with the force of law of the State) the playing of the national anthem.  Dictating who can piss in what bathroom.

We are so fundamentally broken, there is no going back.  The game was over a long time ago.  We're just running out the clock now.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes, it's Brietbart which is a trash rag, but I wonder if Jimmy has a point here?  Have we gone too far?  Ready for negs as I know Breitbart sucks. 

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/03/04/jimmy-kimmel-canceling-dr-seuss-is-how-trump-gets-reelected/

32 minutes ago, B00M said:

Skip to 11:20 to see what he actually said

From CTH's link:

The simple act of embracing cancel culture could propel President Donald Trump to re-election in 2024, ABC’s left-wing late-night host Jimmy Kimmel warned Tuesday night.

Stunning lie. Negged for your own dishonesty in repeating a lie. Don't palm your own dishonesty off on Breitbart. You know better; you even said it was a shit source.

Thanks for presenting an example for my earlier post.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

From CTH's link:

Stunning lie. Negged for your own dishonesty in repeating a lie. Don't palm your own dishonesty off on Breitbart. You know better; you even said it was a shit source.

Thanks for presenting an example for my earlier post.

Huh? Have I posted my actual opinion on this? My own dishonesty? Negged for calling me a liar. 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Fuck You 1

Remember when Warner Brothers stopped playing some of those older Bugs Bunny Cartoons and no one cared?

I do find it appropriate that republicans and their base are very concerned over the loss of 6 Dr. Seuss books, considering that is their reading level.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Huh? Have I posted my actual opinion on this? My own dishonesty?

You quote a questionable source and raise questions as though it is serious. Does Kimmel have a point? He was going for a laugh. There's nothing serious about it. Read how Breitbart describes it. Their account is a lie. Repeating a lie is dishonest.

I'm not looking to start a jihad with you, but what you're doing, IMHO, is very bad for the republic even on this miniscule level. If you look, you'll see I always justify a neg. Almost always it's for reasons like this.

Edit to add: I see you negged my post above. I'd be interested in you accounting for why. Is it emotional or rational?

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm just finding out in real time he wasn't even really a doctor, and certainly not the gynecologist he told my wife he was.

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You quote a questionable source and raise questions as though it is serious. Does Kimmel have a point? He was going for a laugh. There's nothing serious about it. Read how Breitbart describes it. Their account is a lie. Repeating a lie is disnhonest.

I'm not looking to start a jihad with you, but what you're doing, IMHO, is very bad for the republic even on this miniscule level. If you look, you'll see I always justify a neg. Almost always it's for reasons like this.

Raising a question is not an opinion. I didn't know Kimmel was a going for a laugh, and I should have, so that's on me.  I could quote Marge Schott or Quinn Snyder, does not mean I share their opinions.

• Fuck You 1

Have you always been a racist? Do you enjoy your habit of dishonesty? Does your wife enjoy her beatings?

Oh, you don't do those things? I've been telling everyone you did after the big liar said that's what you were and did.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Remember when Warner Brothers stopped playing some of those older Bugs Bunny Cartoons and no one cared?

I do find it appropriate that republicans and their base are very concerned over the loss of 6 Dr. Seuss books, considering that is their reading level.

6 books that basically nobody but the Seuss family and some librarians and kindergarten teachers could name.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The depiction of the Chinese character in And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street was changed previously from a more offensive yellow skin illustrated character with a ponytail to a more neutral depiction and from calling him a "Chinaman" to "Chinese person" in the 70s. So Dr Seuss was aware that some of his depictions were terrible stereotypes. I guess he cancelled himself back in the 70s.

A business made a decision about something they no longer wanted to be associated with. They were given express permission to handle his affairs after Dr. Seuss' death. Why is this an issue other than needing something to drive outrage over? The Right seems addicted to this need for outrage. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The depiction of the Chinese character in And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street was changed previously from a more offensive yellow skin illustrated character with a ponytail to a more neutral depiction and from calling him a "Chinaman" to "Chinese person" in the 70s. So Dr Seuss was aware that some of his depictions were terrible stereotypes. I guess he cancelled himself back in the 70s.

A business made a decision about something they no longer wanted to be associated with. They were given express permission to handle his affairs after Dr. Seuss' death. Why is this an issue other than needing something to drive outrage over? The Right seems addicted to this need for outrage. 

47 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I for one am outraged that Dr. Seuss' heirs will no longer make money off sales of this fine work of literature, vital for all children to read.

I don't even understand....are those guys supposed to be Chinese, or Japanese?

hqdefault.jpg

Comedians are overly sensitive to the cancel culture thing because their careers depend on the ability to offend people. Dr. Seuss is a very poor example because Dr. Seuss Enterprises asked for the books to stop being published. It's like if Cardi B's kids 50 years from now were to get together and ask if the radio would please stop playing WAP because it makes them feel uncomfortable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

39278cc4-c09a-48f9-bd34-649d9061e794_tex

53380db2-ae1b-49f1-bbb2-fa360274e0e7_tex

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'd also like to point out the irony of Breitbart using Jimmy Kimmel to push their narrative when I'm pretty sure Breitbart and those on the Right wanted Jimmy Kimmel cancelled for his old blackface Karl Malone bit. They of course wanted that because Kimmel spoke against their godking. 

3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I made a similar argument/complaint in a thread I started a while back about the San Fran govt canceling Lincoln and others by renaming schools. That shit really annoys me because the only thing it accomplishes is rallying the right. 

However, this shit and the muppets - private enterprises "censoring" their own stuff - isn't remotely comparable. This is not even remotely political. 

Yeah, both SONY and Viacom...when they owned/own the rights to Seinfeld episodes in syndication...they voluntarily and privately withhold the "Puerto Rican Day Parade" episode back from rotation on basic cable, and streaming.  Nobody calls it 'Cancel Culture'...you want to watch the Muppet Show with no warning ahead of the episode, just press "skip" or buy the DVD's which don't contain the warning.  You can still download e-versions of Dr. Seuss books to your heart's content.  It's private people making private decisions for their private businesses.  

Now what I do think is gonna happen inevitably the next time the Trumpers control the White House or one chamber of Congress is...you're gonna see them make the argument that maybe private companies should be left to their own accord, but publicly traded companies in which the government retirement/thrift savings plan, any public company in which Treasury has ever invested, any company public or private who has any government contract for anything from toilet paper to satellites...any company relying on U.S. federal money in any way...cannot participate in this 'Cancel Culture' and can have their investment/funding/contract rescinded if they "censor" free speech.  It's coming, if it hasn't already been tried.