Jimmy Kimmel: canceling Dr. Seuss is how Trump gets reelected

closetohumping

i refuse to read this whole thread because it's so fucking stupid.  stupidity is running rampant, and if trump gets reelected, it will be stupidity that puts him over the top.

dems aren't cancelling shit.  the human race (well some of it anyway) is evolving.  right before their fucking eyes we went from leave it to beaver to good times to will and grace to euphoria.  and old white men don't have every single inherent advantage anymore and that is absolutely horrifying to old white men because everybody likes having advantages.

the world is changing, that's a fact.  people are changing, also, fact.  people generally fear change, it frightens and confuses them, so they rebel and ignore and lash out and obfuscate and do whatever is in their instincts to do.

the trumpers don't have policy or ideas or discipline.  they are obstructionists that pedal fear to stupid people that would rather be angry and scared than open-minded and thoughtful.  they will absolutely use this fight-against-evolution talking point and pin it on the dems and probably even more on the progressives, because progress is exactly what they cannot stand.

so jimmy is right.  this is trump's path.  latch onto the stupid, put it in a bowl, and hand-deliver it to their facebook feed.  stupid people are frustratingly starving, always.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I made a similar argument/complaint in a thread I started a while back about the San Fran govt canceling Lincoln and others by renaming schools. That shit really annoys me because the only thing it accomplishes is rallying the right. 

However, this shit and the muppets - private enterprises "censoring" their own stuff - isn't remotely comparable. This is not even remotely political. 

You are missing the point.  That group doesn't care who did it or why.  They make it fit their narrative and then it is off to the races.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You are missing the point.  That group doesn't care who did it or why.  They make it fit their narrative and then it is off to the races.  

If its not Dr. Seuss, it's Lincoln Middle School.  If its not that, it's the Eyes of Texas.  If its not that, it's....

It's always gonna be something.  We gotta stop giving it oxygen every time the outrage machine picks something new. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We gotta stop giving it oxygen every time the outrage machine picks something new. 

This.  The information space in our society is limited and the strategy from the right is to fill that space with pearl clutching nonsense so we’re not talking about insurrections, preventable mass death, climate change, wealth taxes, and corruption. 

None of these politicians give a flying fuck about what they’re polluting the information space with, just that they’re polluting the information space.  Basically, active measures. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I never heard of any of those books before they were discontinued. Someone tell Don Jr. that he can still buy The Cat in the Hat. His intellectual domain hasn’t been threatened. 

I think Don Jr's outrage is understandable. Even if we haven't heard of these books, they are 6 books that he's capable of reading, which constitutes a substantial portion of books that fit into that category.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i refuse to read this whole thread because it's so fucking stupid.  stupidity is running rampant, and if trump gets reelected, it will be stupidity that puts him over the top.

dems aren't cancelling shit.  the human race (well some of it anyway) is evolving.  right before their fucking eyes we went from leave it to beaver to good times to will and grace to euphoria.  and old white men don't have every single inherent advantage anymore and that is absolutely horrifying to old white men because everybody likes having advantages.

the world is changing, that's a fact.  people are changing, also, fact.  people generally fear change, it frightens and confuses them, so they rebel and ignore and lash out and obfuscate and do whatever is in their instincts to do.

the trumpers don't have policy or ideas or discipline.  they are obstructionists that pedal fear to stupid people that would rather be angry and scared than open-minded and thoughtful.  they will absolutely use this fight-against-evolution talking point and pin it on the dems and probably even more on the progressives, because progress is exactly what they cannot stand.

so jimmy is right.  this is trump's path.  latch onto the stupid, put it in a bowl, and hand-deliver it to their facebook feed.  stupid people are frustratingly starving, always.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I don't think Republicans don't give one solitary shit about cancel culture, it's just something they yap their jaws about to make it sound like they have ideas floating around in their head. There's no doubt that some of them are probably stupid enough to fall for this, but I think a good lot of them relish provoking controversy about Dr. Seuss even though they know their position is nonsensical. To them, it's a sign of their superiority that they get to feign outrage over anything they want and suddenly their outrage dominates the news cycle. I think that mostly, deep down inside, they just like wrecking shit. They like the destruction itself, for its own sake, but they also like the look on your face when you watch them wreck your shit.

They're going to tear this country down to the skids, and none of them will have the ability to rebuild anything else in it's place, and things are going to get really, really shitty for everyone. And by the time that happens, I have no doubt that liberals will still be holding on to the same idiotic hope that maybe now, now finally the Republican rank-and-file will realize that the GOP can't actually govern. But the GOP will win again, because fascists already have a textbook solution to the problem of needing to stay popular in spite of their utter ineptitude: they'll just take wealth from the "out group" and give it to the "in group."

Civilizations rise, and they decline. It's the natural course of history. Unlike other fallen empires, though, this civilization might just take the entire human species down with it.

Wait, what were we talking about?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Jesus Christ, some of y'all must be the most miserable fucking pieces of shit on the face of the planet.  Everyone gotta have a fucking bogeyman to kill their fucking self-interpreted brilliance.  Fuck.... 

I'm confused...

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Who ever didn’t think the Hardy Boys were white? What should’ve been more shocking was that the same author wrote the Nancy Drew novels.

The guy whose mom ripped off book covers and read those books to her kids, filtering all reference to whiteness. 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Jesus Christ, some of y'all must be the most miserable fucking pieces of shit on the face of the planet.  Everyone gotta have a fucking bogeyman to kill their fucking self-interpreted brilliance.  Fuck.... 

non-plussed . . . 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I have read this post a couple of times and I still haven’t been able to interpret in any way that makes sense. Can you please explain?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- this.

2 -- it doesn't matter.  

Think of what stupid people would say and believe.  That will be the dominant narrative.  The United States of Stupid.  

yeah along the lines of my take too

i was think "maybe if we jsut focsed on helping those in need and...." oh wait its America. better to be outraged and bitching that just about anything constructive.

you homies be good now. no nuke friday is in full fucking swing in these parts. live it. love it. someone tell fallout boy lets go

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

I have read this post a couple of times and I still haven’t been able to interpret in any way that makes sense. Can you please explain?

I’m saying some people, on both sides of this argument, are just fucking miserable pieces of shit. 

Uh, this may be a good time to walk through how publishing rights work.  

(hint, they're not overly concerned with your feelings or politics)  

James Joyce is banned, James Joyce is heralded, James Joyce is canceled, James Joyce is elevated, James Joyce is hidden, James Joyce is studied.  One thing remains, stupid people.  

Edited by Lobo

By reprinting other author's copyrighted materials without the consent of the Estate/Royalty-License Owner?  

I know you think Cancel Culture is a big problem, but I assure you intellectual property theft is a bigger one.  And it's been around a lot longer with smarter lawyers in taller buildings.  

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

This thread on Twitter was more than interesting. Dr Seuss was verboten in his family, because (according to him) the only representation of a black person in Seuss books was a racist depiction. The thread is much more than that. 

If this story was flipped 180*, it would be racist af.    But here's why mom wasn't racist...

45 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

If this story was flipped 180*, it would be racist af.    But here's why mom wasn't racist...

I’ll agree. Here. 

Were we talking in a country where whites represented 14% of the population, I’d disagree.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

By reprinting other author's copyrighted materials without the consent of the Estate/Royalty-License Owner?  

I know you think Cancel Culture is a big problem, but I assure you intellectual property theft is a bigger one.  And it's been around a lot longer with smarter lawyers in taller buildings.  

Here is a thread detailing the hooks that folks, without intellectual property rights, are trying to cancel most often.

• Rage+1 1

I'm so fucking glad the wife and I decided not to have any kids.  This world is fucked.  Now do I think it all goes to hell in my lifetime?  No, but it's definitely coming.  If I had a kid I'd be on the ledge with Brisket.  There's no going back.  When a significant percentage of the world's most powerful country stops believing in facts we are too far gone to recover.  There - I've been a sunshine guy but I'll admit this is a rabbit hole we won't crawl out of.  But again - it will take a few decades to really finish us all off.  And I have a fuckload of booze and a wife that gives me plenty of free range.  Cheers, assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I’ll agree. Here. 

Were we talking in a country where whites represented 14% of the population, I’d disagree.

I'm not saying it was abhorrent etc.  I just got a chuckle when I imagined how a white mother who went to those lengths to shield her children from anything black would be perceived.  Definitely an odd story, to say the least.

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm not saying it was abhorrent etc.  I just got a chuckle when I imagined how a white mother who went to those lengths to shield her children from anything black would be perceived.  Definitely an odd story, to say the least.

I’ve got to point out white people were not scrubbed completely from the youngster’s awareness. The stories this boy heard were cast in characters of his own race. I believe the mother in this narrative was wise.

If I had the chance, I would ask the narrator if he now saw value in attempting to understand how someone from a different race would perceive a given issue. Though his initial tweet seems to answer in the affirmative: 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I’ve got to point out white people were not scrubbed completely from the youngster’s awareness. The stories this boy heard were cast in characters of his own race. I believe the mother in this narrative was wise.

If I had the chance, I would ask the narrator if he now saw value in attempting to understand how someone from a different race would perceive a given issue. Though his initial tweet seems to answer in the affirmative: 

Fair enough.  I'm not going to read his thread again to argue scrubbed completely vs minoritized.

I'm sure he sees value in it.  I don't know that gentlemen from Adam but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees EVERYTHING in a racial aspect.  Which I believe is sad, and I hope I am incorrect in my assumption. 

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fair enough.  I'm not going to read his thread again to argue scrubbed completely vs minoritized.

I'm sure he sees value in it.  I don't know that gentlemen from Adam but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees EVERYTHING in a racial aspect.  Which I believe is sad, and I hope I am incorrect in my assumption. 

I share that hope, and your implied ideal of one people, beyond race.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- this.

2 -- it doesn't matter.  

Think of what stupid people would say and believe.  That will be the dominant narrative.  The United States of Stupid.  

It really is. Performative outrage is the favored pastime as well. Football? That's small potatoes compared to putting on a performance pretending to be upset at someone who  either was upset or, at least, the performer assumed same. 

16 hours ago, ndawg said:

I don't think Republicans don't give one solitary shit about cancel culture, it's just something they yap their jaws about to make it sound like they have ideas floating around in their head.

Well I think the bigger takeaway is that, again, this is performative outrage and it's done so selectively. I don't need to go into the history of all of it, but sufficed to say that the history of two-facedness on this "cancel culture" shit over the past 100 years has been voluminous. Jim fucking Crow was a gigantic cancel culture initiative. So was the MPAA ratings system, so was the PMRC, so are all these initiatives to overturn Roe v. Wade, so was the outrage when compulsory prayer in school was outlawed, etc. Those things are all cancel culture, and much more destructive to society than Theodor Giesel's own fucking family deciding to stop publishing new editions of a small fraction of his books. They who rant and rave about "cancel culture" in fucking 2021 are among the most dishonest people I've seen in quite a while, far surpassing death penalty proponents, "pro-lifers," and opposers of the NCAA football playoff in that regard.

16 hours ago, ndawg said:

Civilizations rise, and they decline. It's the natural course of history. Unlike other fallen empires, though, this civilization might just take the entire human species down with it.

Wait, what were we talking about?

All true.

• Hook 'Em 2

Remember, the people who are up in arms over Dr Seuss' company deciding to no longer publish these books are the same people who wanted Target to go out of business because of gender neutral bathrooms. "Cancel culture" is just the next battle line they've drawn to gin up outrage. Outrage is what they need to keep their base angry. We saw what right wing anger brought in 2016. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, mdmost said:

Remember, the people who are up in arms over Dr Seuss' company deciding to no longer publish these books are the same people who wanted Target to go out of business because of gender neutral bathrooms. "Cancel culture" is just the next battle line they've drawn to gin up outrage. Outrage is what they need to keep their base angry. We saw what right wing angry brought in 2016. 

They also set their Nike shoes on fire in reaction to Colin Kaepernick. These are not bright people.

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This is fallacious reasoning, based on the incorrect assumption that decisions can be judged solely by the actions taken. Humans make decisions in order to produce outcomes, and those outcomes stem from the combination of both an action and condition, and not the action alone. Therefore, decisions must be judged by taking both into account.

In the United States, unless parents deliberately intervene, all children are subjected to a condition where most characters will be white by default, and the few black characters that do exist will be cast into one of two typical roles that white writers tend to be limited to. For a white parent to take the deliberate action of further restricting their child's exposure to black characters would be therefore precisely the opposite of what the black parent in this case did. If the two actions seem the same, it's only because you aren't taking condition into account, which would be an error in your judgment.

I am worried this comes across as stating the obvious, because we understand this intuitively elsewhere in our lives. Shooting and killing someone who is trying to invade our home is different from shooting and killing someone whom our spouse had an affair with. The conditions are different, so we judge the decisions differently. But white Americans tend to be in complete denial of the vast differences in conditions that black Americans are subjected to, and the conservative outrage over "cancel culture" is a great example of white Americans clueless about their denial/ignorance.

Edited by ndawg
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

As you look back in history, progressives always look better in retrospect.  Each and every iteration of conservatives thinks ‘well that’s fine but THIS is where we need to draw the line.’  No it isn’t, you ignorant bastards.  Go fuck yourselves.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Engrish
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, sidis said:

What argument, exactly? 

The argument where one side is making up bullshit and the other side is pointing out the bullshit. Obviously, both sides in that argument are terrible... because reasons. 

17 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

What does this mean?  Are some people conjuring their own brilliance and then creating a Chupacabra to kill their ill-perceived brilliance?  Are those dumbasses doing that just to watch them fight like Transformers?  Either way, let's not get distracted from the real issue, which is whether or not Jimmy Kimmel should be allowed to continue masquerading as a honkey.       

24 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

As you look at back in history, progressives always look better in retrospect.  Each and every iteration of conservatives thinks ‘well that’s fine but THIS is where we need to draw the line.’  No it isn’t, you ignorant bastards.  Go fuck yourselves.  

Pretty much all the consensus “great Presidents” in American History were divisive progressives in their time. Washington, Lincoln, TR, FDR, Kennedy.