Jimmy Kimmel: canceling Dr. Seuss is how Trump gets reelected

closetohumping

1 hour ago, ndawg said:

I am worried this comes across as stating the obvious,

In our country, obvious is obsolete to the point of being quaint. What is obvious to rational people is obscure to the irrational. In our country, I'd have to label anyone denying reality as irrational.

In your very good post, your argument is clear and well-founded. Your concern about being obvious stems, I'd guess, from a question in your mind: Why isn't this obvious? Am I being stupid in making an obvious point?

Of course, you're not stupid. You are, in good faith, addressing an obviously out of whack position taken by others. You give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they just don't see this other way of thinking. I will explain in clear language with no rancor. I'll even admit my concerns about being obvious so as not to insult their intelligence.

The easy joke/observation is to snark: there is no intelligence to insult. But it's worse than that.

You are addressing people whose intelligence is armored against argument by fervent belief in a poisonous dogma that they would label righteousness. If you raise a question about their dogma, you are of the devil. Immediately dismissable as "one of those."

If Nietzsche were here today he'd write (you want to talk about presumption on my part, sheesh!):

Rationality is dead. Make way for the Unterman.

Idiotenwelt

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

As you look at back in history, progressives always look better in retrospect.  Each and every iteration of conservatives thinks ‘well that’s fine but THIS is where we need to draw the line.’  No it isn’t, you ignorant bastards.  Go fuck yourselves.  

Their final ditch is to make progressive the mark of the devil no matter what spills from the Evil One's vile mouth!

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

As you look at back in history, progressives always look better in retrospect.  Each and every iteration of conservatives thinks ‘well that’s fine but THIS is where we need to draw the line.’  No it isn’t, you ignorant bastards.  Go fuck yourselves.  

I don't think Woodrow Wilson looks as good as you think. Unless you want to change "always" to something else.

20 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I don't think Woodrow Wilson looks as good as you think. Unless you want to change "always" to something else.

Woodrow Wilson resurrected the klan and the Lost Cause mythology so I’m not sure what makes him “progressive.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I didn’t mention presidents.  I meant the progressive movement vs the conservative movement at any point in history.  You want to review what progressives wanted in Wilson’s era vs conservatives of the same era?  Please.  Lol

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I didn’t mention presidents.  I meant the progressive movement vs the conservative movement at any point in history.  You want to review what progressives wanted in Wilson’s era vs conservatives of the same era?  Please.  Lol

You said "progressives". You did not say a movement. 

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Woodrow Wilson resurrected the klan and the Lost Cause mythology so I’m not sure what makes him “progressive.”

He was no conservative, but you're right, he was very racist.

33 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just leave it here. SIAP.

The way conservatives whined on these boards about their offense that blacks could use the n-word while whites (white men) couldn't sorta supports her case. Sadly, the Trumpists most likely to want to say the N-word didn't actually get any tax breaks.

The issue isn't that Trumpist "conservatives" are racists. The issue is how poliltely a black person responds to it. Of course.

Burnin' crosses and clultchin' pearls. What a crew.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Rage+1 2

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Who ever didn’t think the Hardy Boys were white? What should’ve been more shocking was that the same author wrote the Nancy Drew novels.

"authors", since many were ghost written

(see, because they're stories about mysteries and spooky stuff, that's both insightful AND funny!)

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah the lack-of-virtue signaling is going to get tiresome, but whatever.

I don’t get how people have a hard time of  understanding the idea in the Twitter thread - mom doesn’t want to raise her black children on a diet of media where black people are portrayed negatively, one dimensionally, or not at all. Makes complete sense to me how being an other throughout your development would have lasting impact on how you see yourself. Not racist at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2021 at 10:12 AM, mdmost said:

The depiction of the Chinese character in And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street was changed previously from a more offensive yellow skin illustrated character with a ponytail to a more neutral depiction and from calling him a "Chinaman" to "Chinese person" in the 70s. So Dr Seuss was aware that some of his depictions were terrible stereotypes. I guess he cancelled himself back in the 70s.

A business made a decision about something they no longer wanted to be associated with. They were given express permission to handle his affairs after Dr. Seuss' death. Why is this an issue other than needing something to drive outrage over? The Right seems addicted to this need for outrage. 

Man I hate getting old and losing my memory.  I used to read “Mulberry Street” pretty often with my kids.  I can’t recall which version I had nor do I remember the parts that would be offensive like this, but that is my white privilege and aforementioned shitty memory speaking.  We got rid of the books years ago and now I see I could have made a nice profit on Ebay, go figure.

I do remember the original Curious George stuff bothering me at times, at least with some of the zoo stuff and things like “ha ha George you broke your leg because you were curious.”

Obviously not the same realm as racism.   

Why is Mulberry Street all of a sudden getting mixed in with the proud and rich heritage of Chinese Americans?  Mulberry Street has nothing to do with ethnic slurs, or intolerance.  Rather it should celebrate the long, demented, morally bankrupt contributions to New York and the United States by dago-wop douchebag mafioso-wanna be greaseballs.  I'd read that book.  Oh sorry, wrong town.  

On 3/4/2021 at 3:08 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You are missing the point.  That group doesn't care who did it or why.  They make it fit their narrative and then it is off to the races.  

My father in law, who canceled his Netflix because there was too much gay stuff and miscegenation, and refuses to buy Nike because of Kaepernick, was going on about cancel culture and Dr. Seuss.

I asked him, do you know who is halting the publication of those books?  His answer, "no."  I think it's been pointed out that Giesel redid some of the artwork to tone down some of the more blatant caricaturing in his work and was a fairly notorious political liberal.  It seems the decision of his "literary executors" is consistent with what his wishes would have been.

I have caught glimpses of utter dogshit on the Seuss issue.  Like this. The funniest thing is, the books that have been canceled?  No one has hardly ever heard of them.