How much of a cheap bastard are you?

Hellraiser97

I'll use a bar of soap all they way down to zero. I never throw out a bar for being too small. When is it too small? When it is small enough to go down the drain when I drop it.

I do like bigger bars in the shower, though. So if I have extras I'll move the little ones to the sink.

43 minutes ago, retsevlys said:

I'll stick the old bar to the new one when it gets small.

Same here. Seems like I remember my mom having a bag sewn from old washcloths that the soap pieces went into so it became a scrubber of sorts with soap in it. Depression era people partied hard.

On May 4, 2018 at 10:59 AM, RDCanecutter said:

At UT I used to buy multiple cans of tuna, kept them in the grad student lounge, I'd pop one every day and stand there and eat it, with a spoon.

One wench started doing her "eeeww" act, I told her she'd make a damn poor lesbian. She didn't get it.

Damn funny. Mrs Texan laughed too.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Same here. Seems like I remember my mom having a bag sewn from old washcloths that the soap pieces went into so it became a scrubber of sorts with soap in it. Depression era people partied hard.

Damn we had one of those.  For shower soap, it gets tossed when it gets so then it will cut you if you’re not careful.  Lacerated nipples are serious business.  

I pay for my sons school and rent but he has to cover bills, cell phone, and insurance. He inherited some of my cost cutting skills recently. I took him to see Death Wish a while back, and I knew he was low on cash, so I told him I would pay for his ticket but he had to get his own concessions.

He stashed a 20 oz Mountain Dew in his sock. When we got into the theater, a dude was walking out and chunked his popcorn bowl in the trash. My son grabbed it and went to the concessions to get the free refill you are eligible for if you buy that size popcorn. 

I was disgusted and proud at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 5/12/2018 at 2:38 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 5/12/2018 at 2:14 PM, SDG said:
I once saw on the internet that you can extend the life of a razor by running the blade(s) in reverse down your forearm a few times.  I only use a few new razors a year now. 

Damn that's cheap...I switched to dollar shave club about a year or so ago... they send you like 4 blades every 2 months for 6 bucks. Check it out

I bought a double edge safety razor and a 500 pack of blades on Ebay for like $50. Only time it sucks is when I get on a plane, they take my blades. 

I have a friend that used to always drag me to Central Market just so he could eat a bunch of free soup samples. He never bought a damn thing.

I don't go that far, but every time I go to HEB I have to sample an olive from the olive bar.

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

I pay for my sons school and rent but he has to cover bills, cell phone, and insurance. He inherited some of my cost cutting skills recently. I took him to see Death Wish a while back, and I knew he was low on cash, so I told him I would pay for his ticket but he had to get his own concessions.

He stashed a 20 oz Mountain Dew in his sock. When we got into the theater, a dude was walking out and chunked his popcorn bowl in the trash. My son grabbed it and went to the concessions to get the free refill you are eligible for if you buy that size popcorn. 

I was disgusted and proud at the same time.

I hardly ever go into a theater any more, but when  I do I always have a pocket full of hard candies. I ain't buyin' shit from concessions. Hard candies don't melt, and if you mix in a few lemon drops they keep your mouth moist so you don't need a drink. It also helps from needing to get up and take a piss in the middle of a crucial scene. Sometimes you have to take a slightly scientific approach to being a cheap bastard.

38 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Yeah, at the minimum, I'm bringing a flask in to add to my coke

I went to the dollar movie off Northwest Hwy/Shiloh area some years ago and brought a couple of DosXX bottles. They were just in my pockets. They don't even have people to check your ticket stubs at all. 

I buy the 2 and 3 liter bottles of soft drinks and fill one of the half liter bottles to take into work. I keep a big bottle in the car so if I decide I want more during the day I can go refill with warm soda. Still drinking brand name soda so not completely cheap on it.

Well yeah, when I drink water I just refill the same bottle out of the fountain. I just assumed that was a given.

I was just trashing you for drinking so much Coke. That shit is bad for you.

Unless of course it's mixed with whiskey which is scientifically proven to counteract the negative effects.

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I was just trashing you for drinking so much Coke. That shit is bad for you.

Unless of course it's mixed with whiskey which is scientifically proven to counteract the negative effects.

99% is diet soda, so it's not so bad. It's water, carbonation and some stuff they buy from DuPont. How can that be bad for ya?

I try to reuse cooking oil (mostly veg) 2x, or 3x max.  

Half because it saves money (tho the motherfucker is like 1$/liter) but the other half is I ain't got spare time or jars to store it and dispose of it - which involves driving to the recycling Depot.

The wife fucking *hates* it because she has ultra sensitive powers of smell.  

So when she's not around, yeah I sneak used oil into the new oil mix and fry potatoes and schnitzel in it

On 5/17/2018 at 10:16 AM, El Diablo said:

99% is diet soda, so it's not so bad. It's water, carbonation and some stuff they buy from DuPont. How can that be bad for ya?

Diet sodas are actually worse for you.  You get all the negative heart health shit from the fake sugar, and your body holds other sugars you consume throughout the day as if you consumed them in the soda because your brain treats the diet soda as a sugar drink.  

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Diet sodas are actually worse for you.  You get all the negative heart health shit from the fake sugar, and your body holds other sugars you consume throughout the day as if you consumed them in the soda because your brain treats the diet soda as a sugar drink.  

They're carbonated water. I don't know where you got your info but it's bad. Sugar and starches in general, in excessive amounts, are bad for your heart. Sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners? Not so much. The amounts you would have to consume are so outrageous as to be almost impossible. FDA, diabetics, American Cancer Society, European food authorities... but I'm willing to at least listen to whoever you want to cite.

Guest Lobo

Or some of you could just man up, and drink water, maybe some iced tea/coffee at meals, and then alcohol...and skip the soda.  You know, like a fucking adult.  Do people really think they're getting away with something when they drink diet soda?  

40 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

They're carbonated water. I don't know where you got your info but it's bad. Sugar and starches in general, in excessive amounts, are bad for your heart. Sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners? Not so much. The amounts you would have to consume are so outrageous as to be almost impossible. FDA, diabetics, American Cancer Society, European food authorities... but I'm willing to at least listen to whoever you want to cite.

This is just an easy to find example.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/04/21/diet-soda-can-increase-risk-dementia-and-stroke-study-finds/100736786/

There are literally hundreds of articles in major publications discussing dozens of studies at major medical institutions that show Diet Sodas, more especially artificial sweeteners,  are absolutely awful for you.  

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Or some of you could just man up, and drink water, maybe some iced tea/coffee at meals, and then alcohol...and skip the soda.  You know, like a fucking adult.  Do people really think they're getting away with something when they drink diet soda?  

And this.  I haven't had a soda in almost 5 years aside from the 1x per year I have a hangover bad enough to drink a real Coke.  I drink 1.5 gallons of water every day, unsweet tea, black coffee, and beer and whiskey.  

40 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

This is just an easy to find example.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/04/21/diet-soda-can-increase-risk-dementia-and-stroke-study-finds/100736786/

There are literally hundreds of articles in major publications discussing dozens of studies at major medical institutions that show Diet Sodas, more especially artificial sweeteners,  are absolutely awful for you.  

It's your case to make. I'm not reading USA Today for my medical/health information. "Worse than regular soda". "Absolutely awful for you". You got some work to do.

Just now, El Diablo said:

It's your case to make. I'm not reading USA Today for my medical/health information. "Worse than regular soda". "Absolutely awful for you". You got some work to do.

"according to a Purdue University medical study" 

On 5/22/2018 at 9:31 AM, ulukinatme said:

Along with buying used tires, cutting my own hair, and bolting a piece of metal onto my rusted out muffler, I change my disposable razor blade once every 3 years.

I wish I could do this with razor blades, but I have to shave more than once every three months.

Your blades are probably not getting dull from shaving, they're getting dull from rust and corrosion. Wash them immediately after use, shake dry, then dab with a towel or, better, blow them out using canned air like you use on a computer keyboard. If you live in a humid climate, store them in a closed jar with a dessicant pack. They'll last for years.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:32 AM, sheeeit said:

Well we were in college.  I think we were afraid of getting kicked out.

But isnt one of the hallmarks of college to come up with some overly elaborate scheme just to get free drinks?

My mom came to visit me in college and stayed at the Embassy Suites.  I kept her room key when she left and went to the free happy hour all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Your blades are probably not getting dull from shaving, they're getting dull from rust and corrosion. Wash them immediately after use, shake dry, then dab with a towel or, better, blow them out using canned air like you use on a computer keyboard. If you live in a humid climate, store them in a closed jar with a dessicant pack. They'll last for years.

Yea but how much do you spend on canned air and dessicant?

Zero if you have an air compressor or a squeeze bulb (like for camera lenses). If you don't, one can will last you a lifetime of razors, and costs about what one razor cartridge costs, so the savings is still hefty.

Dessicant comes in the box of most electronic devices you buy, just keep the little "do not eat" packs and reuse them. Regen/dehydrate them in the oven using waste heat after you finish cooking.