#15 Texas @ #16 Oklahoma - 8:00 ESPN

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

0u does still suck, but there is zero reason that should have been a tight game

shaka is done regardless

it was entirely predictable.  we shot 61 and OU shot 37 in the first, add Shaka to the mix and I'm just glad it wasn't a loss.  for all the shit I give Ramey he bailed Shaka's ass out in the last 4 minutes.

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

OU defense is going to ugly it up. That was a big win. I don’t care how it looked.

Also, Sims has become a much better player in his time here. He is so athletic that it still feels like he could be a lot better.

Sims staying out of foul trouble is big -- only played 11 minutes against Iowa State because of too many dumb fouls.

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

OU defense is going to ugly it up. That was a big win. I don’t care how it looked.

Also, Sims has become a much better player in his time here. He is so athletic that it still feels like he could be a lot better.

Criminal to watch him get position over and over again to watch the 40th bricked three by our guard. We have become such a beating to watch and the second half was entirely predictable when some terrible shooters found a bone and made a few..some how negating their season’s worth of futility. 

Fuck all of the recent UT coaches for taking all of the joy from UT sports. This is as good as it get folks. Fuck OU

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Criminal to watch him get position over and over again to watch the 40th bricked three by our guard. We have become such a beating to watch and the second half was entirely predictable when some terrible shooters found a bone and made a few..some how negating their season’s worth of futility. 

Fuck all of the recent UT coaches for taking all of the joy from UT sports. This is as good as it get folks. Fuck OU

what is criminal is that after 4 years he has shit for post moves/game  he doesn't know how to play in the post(other than wide open dunks).  He leans his upper body and gets out of control(he does the same thing while dribbling out top).  watch his last post move.  he makes a few dribbles and moves, has excellent position turns, goes up and over shoots the ball way long off the backboard because his body is going towards the basket into the defenders hands, instead of going straight up.   He has done this since he was a freshman and 4 years later it is the same.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

what is criminal is that after 4 years he has shit for post moves/game  he doesn't know how to play in the post(other than wide open dunks).  He leans his upper body and gets out of control(he does the same thing while dribbling out top).  watch his last post move.  he makes a few dribbles and moves, has excellent position turns, goes up and over shoots the ball way long off the backboard because his body is going towards the basket into the defenders hands, instead of going straight up.   He has done this since he was a freshman and 4 years later it is the same.

So...how are you going to pull it off? Pills? Gun to the head? Noose? Car on with garage door closed?

Thank God I don’t live in your miserable world.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

Yet he’s our best offenses when we can get him the ball. It’s college, he doesn’t need Karl Malone’s moves. If anyone in the gym had some basketball IQ this team would take 3:1 shots in the paint vs 3s with our incredible size (for college) and some of the worst shooters in the country. 

He’s the same and Shaka’s use of him remains as well. 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Yet he’s our best offenses when we can get him the ball. It’s college, he doesn’t need Karl Malone’s moves. If anyone in the gym had some basketball IQ this team would take 3:1 shots in the paint vs 3s with our incredible size (for college) and some of the worst shooters in the country. 

He’s the same and Shaka’s use of him remains as well. 

Its definitely good we have him because he is our best defensive player and does pose problems on the O and D glass.  we wouldnt be here without him for sure.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i never, ever, ever get tired of beating OU. it's so goddamn fun. 

I'd rather beat OU twice than Kansas twice every day and twice on Sunday. I don't care if that's stupid. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So...how are you going to pull it off? Pills? Gun to the head? Noose? Car on with garage door closed?

Thank God I don’t live in your miserable world.

ha my world is just fine.  you are one of those that reads every post like its yelling I'm sure.  sucks to be you.

• Hook 'Em 1

After the massive block on Kai Jones dunk attempt I thought we had no chance. Those back to back 3s by Ramey saved us.

I actually like that dude. Yes he takes some bad shots, but he also plays with a lot of confidence and can score in bunches when he gets going. He plays very hard on defense as well.

29 minutes ago, HookEm said:

After the massive block on Kai Jones dunk attempt I thought we had no chance. Those back to back 3s by Ramey saved us.

I actually like that dude. Yes he takes some bad shots, but he also plays with a lot of confidence and can score in bunches when he gets going. He plays very hard on defense as well.

He’s great, and I’m glad we have him too. I also have a hard time not thinking about how good he could be if he had a coach who had done a better job developing him the last three years. If he could just play with more discipline consistently, he could be incredibly good. 

It’s also frustrating that it took an amazing performance by him to save us. Without him just winning the game at the end, Shaka would’ve done absolutely nothing and let us lose that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Damn you know we win the game in Austin with at least Sims. Fuck you COVID. 4-0 over KU and OU would have been orgasmic. 3-1 is good too. 

Not to mention the refs that game.   That game has a huge asterisk.  It's a shame too as that would put us at either #2 or #3 in Big 12 and looking better for a #3 overall seed.

The thing about Ramey is that he actually has improved quite a bit over the last 3 years.  He is shooting an insane 44% from 3 and has become clutch from the line.  He is also averaging 4 APG.  If he could cut down his turnovers and take better shots inside the arc, he could be really great.

I would expect even more growth over the next year since he will be "the man" and not splitting coaching attention with Coleman (for better or worse, lol).

image.png.e019baff66dfb6fee823f7d9d8cf0578.png

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The thing about Ramey is that he actually has improved quite a bit over the last 3 years.  He is shooting an insane 44% from 3 and has become clutch from the line.  He is also averaging 4 APG.  If he could cut down his turnovers and take better shots inside the arc, he could be really great.

I would expect even more growth over the next year since he will be "the man" and not splitting coaching attention with Coleman (for better or worse, lol).

image.png.e019baff66dfb6fee823f7d9d8cf0578.png

His TOV% is actually lower than Coleman's. I think his TOs and shot selection are as much an issue with Shaka's offense as they are with his decision making. He's never going to be some ruthlessly efficient player but there's no reason he should be shooting 40% from the field. Other than him being a primary ball handler and shot creator in a stone age offense.  Not to say he doesn't take poor shots or throw the ball away at times - but a lot of the time when he does it's because he's trying to attack the basket or create something when our offense is stalling out. A few examples of this from last night:

- He missed a 15 foot fadeaway jumper after we just passed the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds with zero off-ball motion. This is still a bad shot but on a possession where we were getting nowhere and he recognized that.

- He turned the ball over off of his leg trying to attack the basket - an OU player made a great swipe at the ball and Ramey lost it going up.

- He missed a tough (granted makeable) layup off the glass after attacking the basket in the half-court and drawing at least two defenders. GB then missed an extremely easy putback off of a wide open offensive board. 

All of those harm Ramey on the stat sheet, but in all of them he's either doing the right thing or being forced into some garbage offense because we don't run anything worth a shit. Outside of those examples I'm sure he had a bad turnover or two and a couple ill-advised shot attempts as I remember him being relatively poor up until those late 3s he made, but looking at the box score and seeing "Oh my God Ramey shot 36% and had 3 turnovers! Again!" doesn't really capture what he's asked to do or feels like he has to do in this offense.  

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In fairness, Abrams shot 284 3s the year he shot 42%.  Ramey is on pace for ~120 attempts (currently at 100).

But we have people complaining when he takes open 3 pointers. 

He isn't a better 3 shooter than Abrams (obviously). He is shooting from a deeper line. Correct me if wrong - Abrams was shooting from the high school line for at least some of his career. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

He isn't a better 3 shooter than Abrams (obviously). He is shooting from a deeper line. Correct me if wrong - Abrams was shooting from the high school line for at least some of his career. 

I'm actually OK with Ramey shooting 3 pointers when he's open and in the right spots.  its his dribble drive where I'm "uh oh".  he just isn't a very good a ball handler and doesn't really create separation.  He's a guard so he has to do it but it seems like its always an adventure.  to be fair to him none of our guards are what I would consider great ballhandlers.  Coleman is the best of the bunch IMO but even he has WTF moments.

Ramey did have a key/nice drive and dish to Sims down the stretch.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he just isn't a very good a ball handler and doesn't really create separation.

He's a pretty good ball handler, he just doesn't seem to be that strong with the ball in traffic. And you're right in that he struggles to create separation. He doesn't have much size or leaping ability and kind of gets stuck under the rim. AJ elevates and finishes around the basket the best of our guards. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's a pretty good ball handler, he just doesn't seem to be that strong with the ball in traffic. And you're right in that he struggles to create separation. He doesn't have much size or leaping ability and kind of gets stuck under the rim. AJ elevates and finishes around the basket the best of our guards. 

fair enough.  but being strong with the ball in traffic is a key characteristic to being a pretty good ballhandler IMO.  I would expect any division 1 guard to be a very good ball handler when they aren't in traffic.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

i don't ever complain when he takes a catch-and-shoot three in rhythm. in fact i always expect those to go in. it's when he takes *stupid* three point shots that i throw my hands in the air like, "you're too old and experienced for this shit."

Ramey is one of those guys where, whenever he talked a shot, you can predict whether or not it's going to go in with nearly 100% accuracy as soon as he shoots it. when he takes a jab step fade away three, or a wild, running floater you know that shit ain't going in. but when he catches a clean pass and steps into his shot? cash.

all of which goes to why i repped macklin's post earlier. with a real deal coach Ramey could be a first team all conference player who terrorizes opponents. instead he's a completely imperfect and inconsistent guard who will always be exactly what he currently is, just maybe an older and slightly better version year in year.

Edited by shadow_operative