Get your %^&$ shoes off the coffee table! and other rules you had then and now

Rules you had growing up or that you have now

1. No electronics at dinner table

2. If you're the last one leaving the room, turn off the fucking lights.

3. don't leave 1 or 2 bites of something and put it back in the icebox.  This includes cereal in the pantry.

4. All toilet lids are down when you finish.  Solves the idiotic argument of seat up or down.  Same for e'ryone.

5. Shut the fuck up during big sporting events or TV shows.  It can wait.

next...

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

Rules you had growing up or that you have now

1. No electronics at dinner table

2. If you're the last one leaving the room, turn off the fucking lights.

3. don't leave 1 or 2 bites of something and put it back in the icebox.  This includes cereal in the pantry.

4. All toilet lids are down when you finish.  Solves the idiotic argument of seat up or down.  Same for e'ryone.

5. Shut the fuck up during big sporting events or TV shows.  It can wait.

next...

No such thing as electronics when I was growing up

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

No such thing as electronics when I was growing up

yep.  Same here.  Damned sure no walkmens or any shit like that though, either.  No sitting at the dinner table  and talking on the (corded) phone.

5 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Told my smart assed kid no electronics during dinner. Little fucker calmly got up, placed his tablet on the counter, turned off all the lights. Sat the fuck down in the dark and said "okay."

Ya gotta smack him in the head, and laugh all in one swift 1-2 move...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

No fishing on Sundays.

Yeah, is there a backstory to this?  I think I've probably fished more on Sundays than all the other days of the week combined.  Was your church afraid that fishing might lead to beer drinking or less tithing or something?  

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, is there a backstory to this?  I think I've probably fished more on Sundays than all the other days of the week combined.  Was your church afraid that fishing might lead to beer drinking or less tithing or something?  

It was definitely a church thing. I never questioned why at the time although I would find it odd that it did not stop me from having to do other things like mowing the yard or something like that. My dad was rather strict thus I did not ask. Over the years, though still being an old school strict person, he has fished on Sunday’s while on vacation.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Hell, some of Jesus' best work was fishin...

the speed limit on turning the VHF knob on the tv.  not specifically defined, but we got yelled at by my dad if you went too fast for his comfort at the moment.  prettymuch just had to keep the clicks from channel to channel distinct from each other to prevent "wearing out the contacts".  since we were the de facto remote control for my parents, this was a sacred duty.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wd40 said:

the speed limit on turning the VHF knob on the tv.  not specifically defined, but we got yelled at by my dad if you went too fast for his comfort at the moment.  prettymuch just had to keep the clicks from channel to channel distinct from each other to prevent "wearing out the contacts".  since we were the de facto remote control for my parents, this was a sacred duty.

This and:

Don’t sit too close to the TV. It will hurt your eyes.

• Like 3

No elbows on the table.
Never made sense to me.
I went to camp stewart in Hunt in 3rd and 4th grade. If your elbows were on the table a councilor would sneak up behind you, grab your arms, and slam your elbows on the solid wood table.

Worked, because even today if my elbows touch a table I immediately pull them off.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

I went to camp stewart in Hunt in 3rd and 4th grade. If your elbows were on the table a councilor would sneak up behind you, grab your arms, and slam your elbows on the solid wood table.

Worked, because even today if my elbows touch a table I immediately pull them off.

WTF ?  Was it etiquette camp ??!  Camp was all about not doing the shit you had to do at home.