Meg and Harry interviewed by Oprah on CBS

immamac

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I didn't say they weren't gold diggers.  Maybe they were.

Maybe they specifically married their princes expressly for fame and wealth.  But, even Diana bore the royal slings and arrows with relative grace.

But what there isn't evidence of is that they wanted to have their fame cake and eat it too.   One of the things that tore it for me was the Sussex Royal branding.  They/she clearly wanted to be royalty without having to be royalty.  That's fucking obnoxious.

Perhaps gold-digger is the wrong term.

Fame whore, or fame digger is more apt.

I get the impression that Meghan and Harry are actually in love. Certainly more so than Melania and Donald. I think Anna Nicole Smith is probably the poster child for gold-digging attention whore. And probably every Playmate who ever married Hugh Hefner. Here’s hoping your wife married you for your character and not for your wealth and her economic security.

How many years do you suppose they have to stay married and in apparent peace and harmony before you decide that you were wrong about your assessment of Meghan’s motives?

Interesting take, and seems to align with what's gone on in this thead.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/03/08/meghan-markle-oprah-interview-prince-harry-american-conservatives-liberals-474407

“Because of their support for the status quo and the existing cultural, political and social order,” she wrote to me in an email, “conservatives would tend to attribute responsibility for negative outcomes to the individual rather than to the system.” But liberals, she wrote, “are less wedded to social and cultural traditions and norms.” So they’d be in favor of broader change, tearing up the system altogether, “so that fewer individuals face those risks.”

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

right the paparrazi don't go out there, too far.  

They seem to have a pretty well walled off place near the ocean. So if they wanted to go to LA to see and be seen, they'd have picked a spot with a lot more exposure than 90 miles away from Hollywood. The paparrazi would follow them to the ends of the Earth to get paid by the British and American tabloids. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

They seem to have a pretty well walled off place near the ocean. So if they wanted to go to LA to see and be seen, they'd have picked a spot with a lot more exposure than 90 miles away from Hollywood. The paparrazi would follow them to the ends of the Earth to get paid by the British and American tabloids. 

of all the places on earth they could have picked to get away from media attention they chose a place less than 100 miles away from the media center of the world.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I get the impression that Meghan and Harry are actually in love. Certainly more so than Melania and Donald. I think Anna Nicole Smith is probably the poster child for gold-digging attention whore. And probably every Playmate who ever married Hugh Hefner. Here’s hoping your wife married you for your character and not for your wealth and her economic security.

How many years do you suppose they have to stay married and in apparent peace and harmony before you decide that you were wrong about your assessment of Meghan’s motives?

See my edits.

As stated, I wouldn't go so far as to say their relationship is "illegitimate" or not based on love.  At the same time, I could understand the practicalities of not wanting to marry into or wanting to get out of the royal family not being inconsistent with a legitimate relationship.

My quarrel is the way a lot of it went down.  There appears to have been a great deal of unnecessary attention-seeking on her part.  Some of that may have been naivete on her part ("Oh, I want to get married like a princess if I am going to have to deal with princess bullshit;" followed by "Oh, this princess bullshit is intolerable").  But that's not really consistent with what we see from her, is it?

I am sometimes slow at articulating the full aspects of what I am thinking on a given subject and sometimes post without having it all written out.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

of all the places on earth they could have picked to get away from media attention they chose a place less than 100 miles away from the media center of the world.  

Has anyone, including the couple themselves, said they wanted to get away from media attention?  They started a media company, signed a deal with Netflix, and lined up the Queen of All Media for their tell all. 

Getting away from the media attention and controlling the media coverage you get are very different things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^Correct. According to them, they wanted the Firm to have the tabloids knock off the shitty coverage of her. 

Have you been to Santa Barbara? It's pretty kickass. 

And they first went to Vancouver Island in Canada and were going to live there until Covid started shutting down the border. 

Edited by mdmost

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

Has anyone, including the couple themselves, said they wanted to get away from media attention?  They started a media company, signed a deal with Netflix, and lined up the Queen of All Media for their tell all. 

Getting away from the media attention and controlling the media coverage you get are very different things. 

There's a bit of a dichotomy going on here.

My dead reckoning of the situation is that Harry is comfortable not being at all famous anymore and staying away from it.  Not so much with Meghan.  So there are some compromises and therefore inconsistencies.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

yes.  they said it in the interview.  

can't find a transcript of the interview, this is what APnews has

That partnership was severed when Harry and Meghan left the country, saying they wanted to earn their own living and escape what they called intrusive, racist coverage by the British media.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Have you been to Santa Barbara? It's pretty kickass. 

And they first went to Vancouver Island in Canada and were going to live there until Covid started shutting down the border. 

Santa Barbara is awesome and if I were a super wealthy person I’d want a place there. 

Fleeing the COVIDs by leaving Vancouver Island for central California does say something about what’s important to you, no? 

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Right, they wanted to escape the coverage from the British media. They did not want to escape media, they want media they like, hence Oprah, hence their own media firm, hence Netflix.

And that’s fine, no one wants to read shitty press about themselves all the time. And they really do not have any skills other than being famous or flying attack helicopters, so you work with what you have. 

You have to parse these things carefully. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's a bit of a dichotomy going on here.

My dead reckoning of the situation is that Harry is comfortable not being at all famous anymore and staying away from it.  Not so much with Meghan.  So there are some compromises and therefore inconsistencies.

Yeah. Somehow, I can't picture Meghan being happy hidden away somewhere in the Rockies or even the hill country. Harry might be perfectly content in those places.

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Right, they wanted to escape the coverage from the British media. They did not want to escape media, they want media they like, hence Oprah, hence their own media firm, hence Netflix.

And that’s fine, no one wants to read shitty press about themselves all the time. And they really do not have any skills other than being famous or flying attach helicopters, so you work with what you have. 

You have to parse these things carefully. 

yeah we're saying the same thing.  my contention is they never wanted to be out of the spotlight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I didn't say they weren't gold diggers.  Maybe they were.

I start with the premise that they all "fell in love" with whomever they fell in love with.  I also grant Meghan some leeway in that, as an American, she was more unaware of the burdens of royalty than Diana or Kate may have been, and it would not at all surprise me if Harry failed to adequately apprise her.

But, turning on the cynicism, maybe they specifically married their princes expressly for fame and wealth.  Or maybe knowing what was in store, they chose the fame and wealth over a quieter life with another spouse. But, even Diana bore the royal slings and arrows with relative grace.

But what there isn't evidence of is that they wanted to have their fame cake and eat it too.   One of the things that tore it for me was the Sussex Royal branding.  They/she had a goddam business plan for being royalty without having to be royalty.  That's fucking obnoxious.

Also, I should be clear that I don't fault either of them for wanting off the royal merry-go round.  I do fault them for making a "look at me" spectacle out of it with pretty obvious commercial motives.

Further, there's credible evidence that even without royal stipends, they're in the top echelon of American wealth already and could live a comfortable, quiet life.  Being off the royal tit isn't going to impoverish them.  And, they both have sufficient built-in fame/notoriety to earn tidy incomes without going on fucking Oprah and being obnoxious about it

Perhaps gold-digger is the wrong term.

Fame whore, or fame digger is more apt.

I can subscribe to this take way more than your earlier takes. I was talking to my wife about this last night and asked her point blank what she thought the motivating factor for doing the Oprah interview was. She was like "if it was me it would be to get back at them and being vindictive" and I was like, okay, but what's the end game here?

She said to be more famous. I think using this as a way to be more famous than they were individually is working in their favor and they played the geopolitical game pretty well here. 

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yes.  they said it in the interview.  

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Was about to say this. They don't necessarily care about being in the media, they care about not being able to punch back by decree when they are getting shit on. I don't know if it's as much about controlling the narrative as much as it is being able to respond in kind with your own statements. The 'firm' strictly prohibited them from any interaction with the media and honestly just let them go hard as fuck on her for absolutely no reason at all. (see the avocado toast thing) 

I think they want to be in the media, but also be able hold the media accountable on what they are saying. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I can subscribe to this take way more than your earlier takes. I was talking to my wife about this last night and asked her point blank what she thought the motivating factor for doing the Oprah interview was. She was like "if it was me it would be to get back at them and being vindictive" and I was like, okay, but what's the end game here?

She said to be more famous. I think using this as a way to be more famous than they were individually is working in their favor and they played the geopolitical game pretty well here. 

Was about to say this. They don't necessarily care about being in the media, they care about not being able to punch back by decree when they are getting shit on. I don't know if it's as much about controlling the narrative as much as it is being able to respond in kind with your own statements. The 'firm' strictly prohibited them from any interaction with the media and honestly just let them go hard as fuck on her for absolutely no reason at all. (see the avocado toast thing) 

I think they want to be in the media, but also be able hold the media accountable on what they are saying. 

It's the same "take."  Perhaps gold-digger is the wrong label, and to the extent that it implies marriage solely for money, then it is the wrong term.

I just see her as manipulating the situation to her advantage in the form of increasing fame.

I hope she's not manipulating Harry beyond the usual marital compromises.  He seems like a good dude, if maybe a little dumb, and he's certainly had his crosses to bear.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

It's the same "take."  Perhaps gold-digger is the wrong label, and to the extent that it implies marriage solely for money, then it is the wrong term.

I just see her as manipulating the situation to her advantage in the form of increasing fame.

I hope she's not manipulating Harry beyond the usual marital compromises.  He seems like a good dude, if maybe a little dumb, and he's certainly had his crosses to bear.

Odd sidenote on "dumb Harry."  I didn't realize until fairly recently that the British military academies, Sandhurst and Dartmouth, are roughly nine month programs and not full on degree-granting universities as here.  Some that take commissions through their academies, like William and Charles, get university degrees first, others, like Harry, do not.

So Harry is among the least educated recent and prominent royals. He is the only one of Elizabeth's grandchildren without a degree, I believe.

Then again, Winston Churchill only had a Sandhurst education.

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Elizabeth didn't even go to primary or secondary school*, she got special schooling that basically just taught her about the monarchy or whatever. 

*learned from The Crown so i blame Netflix if untrue ☺

Accurate and to her immense regret.  I understand that she was fairly insistent that her children be educated.  Still, Anne being Anne lacks a degree, but I think is the only one.

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Yeah, don't know much about Mr. Morgan or this story, but this seems like a tremendously bitch move.

I don't really either, but Piers Morgan is frequently in the news for bitchy behavior of all sorts.  Seems he might fit in on The View.

Why do so many want to take sides?  Isn't it possible that absolutely everyone involved in this story, from the Markles, to the Royal Family, to Piers Morgan and Oprah, are all complete sacks of shit who don't merit anyone's attention other than as soap opera distraction material?   If we're all just arguing in the same way people might debate the merits of which bachelorette should be chosen (i.e. knowing full well it's fake bullshit and doesn't matter but serves as some form of low brow entertainment) then I guess that makes sense.   Seems like a lot of you are actually upset one way or the other about this. 

Rich, talentless ass wipes argue with each other with no actual consequences and they're all still rich.  Film at 11.   I look forward to the reunion special when the kids are grown.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Why do so many want to take sides?  Isn't it possible that absolutely everyone involved in this story, from the Markles, to the Royal Family, to Piers Morgan and Oprah, are all complete sacks of shit who don't merit anyone's attention other than as soap opera distraction material?   If we're all just arguing in the same way people might debate the merits of which bachelorette should be chosen (i.e. knowing full well it's fake bullshit and doesn't matter but serves as some form of low brow entertainment) then I guess that makes sense.   Seems like a lot of you are actually upset one way or the other about this. 

Rich, talentless ass wipes argue with each other with no actual consequences and they're all still rich.  Film at 11.   I look forward to the reunion special when the kids are grown.

100% this.

56 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Sure, directly this shit is just a sideshow for us Americans.

what I personally find interesting is how the massively uniformed woke internet Us public is being used at a weapon against people in real power. It’s a new use of our social acceptance of manufactured reality and we are being used like chumps.

It points to big implications across our society in the future.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Sure, directly this shit is just a sideshow for us Americans.

what I personally find interesting is how the massively uniformed woke internet Us public is being used at a weapon against people in real power. It’s a new use of our social acceptance of manufactured reality and we are being used like chumps.

It points to big implications across our society in the future.

We've been handing our culture over to children going back at least to the 60's.  Now they're almost fully in control.  The results are unsurprising. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah we're saying the same thing.  my contention is they never wanted to be out of the spotlight.  

Obviously they want to make the really big bucks like the Kardashians and fuck around whenever & wherever they want.

That is fine for her, but Harry turned his back on his family & country. Not a good look for his character, according to the Brits.

41 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

We've been handing our culture over to children going back at least to the 60's.  Now they're almost fully in control.  The results are unsurprising. 

Yeah, back then I told students - You don’t like how things are run? Then join the system actively and change it.

Just now, Armybrat said:

Yeah, back then I told students - You don’t like how things are run? Then join the system actively and change it.

And that's what young folks have done since that time, mostly for the better, up until this latest bunch (Gen Z I guess?)  They appear to be more interested in burning everything down than fixing anything.

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

And that's what young folks have done since that time, mostly for the better, up until this latest bunch (Gen Z I guess?)  They appear to be more interested in burning everything down than fixing anything.

Yep, then follow the Venezuela model.

1 -- I have never given a shit about "The Royals."  Charles and Diana, William, Kate, Harry, none of them.  Why should I?

2 -- mild correction to point 1....I think royalty is good for one thing: being beheaded by the people.  Fuck being "the supreme grand ruler of all the people" because you popped out of the right inbred vagina.  As an American, there are few concepts that I find more bullshit than that one (which also makes me quite uncomfortable with American political "dynasties" -- Bush, Clinton, Trump, IDGAF, your last name/lineage doesn't and shouldn't make a shit when considering your fitness for leadership).

3 -- the UK media is hot garbage when it comes to salacious bullshit.  If they decide you should be shat upon, then they will spew shit at a rate that would make a post-Taco Bell glutton blush.  This is nothing new.

4 -- it is quite apparent that Megan got a lot shittier treatment than Kate for doing/saying the exact same thing.  Over and over, the comparisons are pretty brutal.  AND.....it's also quite apparent that some of her treatment both by the media and other members of the royal family was racist.  Which should come as no surprise -- the UK is racist as FUCK.  No need to rehash it, it's all out there and plain as day.

In all of it, I only find the last part notable to me in any way.  Money, power, wealth, fame......we still live in a world where none of those things transcend our base bullshit racism.  The lowest person with black blood gets treated like shit and is subject to racism.....and the literal bride of a prince gets the same sort of treatment.  Sure, she gets to go home to a nicer house, and is financially secure, but she still had her in-laws and much of the public look down on her because of her race.  

People are shitty.  We are dedicated to being shitty.  It is ingrained in us from top to bottom.  This is all just another reminder.  And the wheel will just keep on turning.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I didn’t watch the interview or follow the hoopla all too closely, but I’m learning this is apparently the number 1 event in the news right now, Viacom stock went up 12% yesterday because this nonsense got good ratings, and basically the entire world has lost its fucking mind over this idiocy.

So, if that’s how it’s going to be, I have just one, simple request:  Real American celebrities, get your fucking shit together so we can at least follow our own soap opera drama instead of obsessing over the prissy fucking British royal family like it’s 1775 and we’re a bunch of sourpuss toadies.  

I want Britney to shave her head again. Taylor Swift needs to make a sex tape with Tommy Lee.   Selena Gomez can go on a binge like Lindsey Lohan back in the day.  Or maybe we go real old school, like George Clooney and Brad Pitt form their own Rat Pack with legit mob ties, the Rock decides to jump the Snake River in a motorcycle, or Joe Biden has an affair with a Marilyn Monroe impersonator and she winds up dead.  Any of that would be fine.

Just give me some juicy tidbit that actually fucks and involves violence, explosions, sex, drugs, or rock and roll so a self-respecting red-blooded American can follow it instead of this nimby British horseshit.  “Oh dear, the kitchen staff did not get along with the Duchess!  The Queen cast her eyes askew at tea time!  The horror!”  Fuck all of these boring ass limeys, including the American one.

You're singing my song.  We are and have been engaged in an orgy of collective insanity and stupidity.  I don't see any way of stopping it....so I should at least be entertained.  That's all I ask.

• Hook 'Em 3