Meg and Harry interviewed by Oprah on CBS

immamac

It's almost as if we didn't chuck a bunch of tea into Boston Harbor to avoid this bullshit...

Pretty much this. I recall sitting in a History class at UT in 1981 and the professor, George C. Wright, said pretty much this during the run up to Charles’ and Diana’s wedding. I thought the same thing then and the same thing now. I do enjoy much of the history of the royals as it impacts history—Henry VIII, Victoria and empire, etc., but I don’t really care about family spats.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

And that's what young folks have done since that time, mostly for the better, up until this latest bunch (Gen Z I guess?)  They appear to be more interested in burning everything down than fixing anything.

I don’t know...I saw an awful lot of middle aged white people storming the Capitol building.  And bashing on the latest generation is a tale older than all of us here, excluding maybe Brat.  There’s crazies in every generation, and social media gives them the possibility of massive reach to connect with like minded crazies.  

Peronally I don’t give two shits about any of these people, but it’s been a fascinating thread to read.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

I don’t know...I saw an awful lot of middle aged white people storming the Capitol building.  And bashing on the latest generation is a tale older than all of us here, excluding maybe Brat.  There’s crazies in every generation, and social media gives them the possibility of massive reach to connect with like minded crazies.  

Peronally I don’t give two shits about any of these people, but it’s been a fascinating thread to read.  

That's a good point regarding the number of old fucks at the Capitol.  I wasn't intending to bash the latest generation so much as make a point about the transition we've made to a youth culture over the last fifty years.  Our economy runs through the kids now, as does our culture in general.  Young people have a louder voice than ever before, and while that has lead to some great things (who better to point out the sins of the parent than the child?) it's also making us more reactionary, hysterical, and ridiculous.  It's not so much that these kids are any different than any other generation, it's just they're living in different times and have more influence over everyone else than at any time prior.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

That's a good point regarding the number of old fucks at the Capitol.  I wasn't intending to bash the latest generation so much as make a point about the transition we've made to a youth culture over the last fifty years.  Our economy runs through the kids now, as does our culture in general.  Young people have a louder voice than ever before, and while that has lead to some great things (who better to point out the sins of the parent than the child?) it's also making us more reactionary, hysterical, and ridiculous.  It's not so much that these kids are any different than any other generation, it's just they're living in different times and have more influence over everyone else than at any time prior.

I hear ya, and tech/comm is evolving at an exponential rate...so it makes sense the economy is being driven more by data science / software, but doesn’t explain how old fuck CEO pay keeps going upwards.  

Regarding the culture piece, well I’m a 40 year old white guy and treat it like I treat this thread...interesting to know about but apply my own reasoning to its importance and impact to my life, which is zero.  

If I were a minority and the system undeniably targeted me at a higher rate, there are some things I’d be much more inclined to be activist on...but this isn’t one of those outside of second hand comments apparently made about an unborn babies skin shade, which is certainly believable...yet all the comments seem to be decisive about someone they’ve never met.  

Either way...no one should care strongly about this unless you’re English, paid to cover these people, or somehow a part of their family.  Not sure I’d tie youth culture into it as those most closely following it are decidedly not yutes. 

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

How it started

how its going

Rumors are he’s taking a job with the British subdivision of Fox. We aren’t rid of that limey toad...yet. He will be free to continue to bash Meghan for ghosting his ass elsewhere. it’s like a whackamole with this fucker. 

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Either way...no one should care strongly about this unless you’re English, paid to cover these people, or somehow a part of their family.  Not sure I’d tie youth culture into it as those most closely following it are decidedly not yutes. 

This was definitely an off topic discussion based on something Armybrat wrote and I ran with.   I agree that youth culture doesn't really have anything to do with this. 

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Some people just get high on being continually outraged.  

And some people get paid on feeding continual outrage like Piers Morgan, Fox News, British tabloids, etc. 

Edited by mdmost

58 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Pretty much this. I recall sitting in a History class at UT in 1981 and the professor, George C. Wright, said pretty much this during the run up to Charles’ and Diana’s wedding. I thought the same thing then and the same thing now. I do enjoy much of the history of the royals as it impacts history—Henry VIII, Victoria and empire, etc., but I don’t really care about family spats.

The US had royalty during the Victorian era and has let a royal class develop, once again. They don't conspicuously call themselves "Lords and Ladies" but they are essentially Lords and Ladies. Economists and intellectuals call them "oligarchs". They include Bezos, Gates, Zuckerberg, etc., as well as several multi-national corporations. Most Americans adore and admire them. We've wanted our own royalty for some time and we have them.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

We definitely need our own drama. Maybe a little Harvey Manfrengensen would be nice. 😃😃😃

that's the funniest scene in the movie, and the best part is the look on John Cleese's face 🤣🤣🤣 especially at :38 🤣🤣🤣

• Hook 'Em 2

The US had royalty during the Victorian era and has let a royal class develop, once again. They don't conspicuously call themselves "Lords and Ladies" but they are essentially Lords and Ladies. Economists and intellectuals call them "oligarchs". They include Bezos, Gates, Zuckerberg, etc., as well as several multi-national corporations. Most Americans adore and admire them. We've wanted our own royalty for some time and we have them.

Disagree. As Grace said in To Catch a Thief, they are just common people with a bank account. Don’t confuse royalty with being rich. The rich can lose it pretty fast and they have.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mchookem said:

that's the funniest scene in the movie, and the best part is the look on John Cleese's face 🤣🤣🤣 especially at :38 🤣🤣🤣

I absolutely love this movie obviously. Pretty much every scene with Kevin Kline is a winner. This is my favorite. Don’t know why. Inability to apologize? He was so brilliant in this movie. Limey Brits! 

what the fuck were you doing robbing your own house?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Disagree. As Grace said in To Catch a Thief, they are just common people with a bank account. Don’t confuse royalty with being rich. The rich can lose it pretty fast and they have.

They can but these group has almost unprecedented political and economic power. It transcends sovereignty in some places. 

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

if i'm tired of the papparazi the last place i'm moving to is los angeles. 

montecito actually. spent a fair amount of time out there. you would be surprised how many A list celebs you see regularly and almost no paparazzi. so yeah, actually it is a good place to be away from the press but close to LA for work, etc 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You're singing my song.  We are and have been engaged in an orgy of collective insanity and stupidity.  I don't see any way of stopping it....so I should at least be entertained.  That's all I ask.

Hahahaha. Relax. It's over. We're done as a great culture.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I didn’t watch the interview or follow the hoopla all too closely, but I’m learning this is apparently the number 1 event in the news right now, Viacom stock went up 12% yesterday because this nonsense got good ratings, and basically the entire world has lost its fucking mind over this idiocy.

So, if that’s how it’s going to be, I have just one, simple request:  Real American celebrities, get your fucking shit together so we can at least follow our own soap opera drama instead of obsessing over the prissy fucking British royal family like it’s 1775 and we’re a bunch of sourpuss toadies.  

I want Britney to shave her head again. Taylor Swift needs to make a sex tape with Tommy Lee.   Selena Gomez can go on a binge like Lindsey Lohan back in the day.  Or maybe we go real old school, like George Clooney and Brad Pitt form their own Rat Pack with legit mob ties, the Rock decides to jump the Snake River in a motorcycle, or Joe Biden has an affair with a Marilyn Monroe impersonator and she winds up dead.  Any of that would be fine.

Just give me some juicy tidbit that actually fucks and involves violence, explosions, sex, drugs, or rock and roll so a self-respecting red-blooded American can follow it instead of this nimby British horseshit.  “Oh dear, the kitchen staff did not get along with the Duchess!  The Queen cast her eyes askew at tea time!  The horror!”  Fuck all of these boring ass limeys, including the American one.

This post is a little too wordy for a neck tattoo but oh well.  I ragret nothing.

7 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

And that's what young folks have done since that time, mostly for the better, up until this latest bunch (Gen Z I guess?)  They appear to be more interested in burning everything down than fixing anything.

ErFfV3CWMAI6wZN.jpg

(sorry, I see now this has been covered)

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

Prince William has said his family is not racist and he has not yet spoken to his brother since Harry and Meghan's explosive interview.

"We are very much not a racist family," he said after a question from Sky News.

And when asked if he had spoken to his brother yet, the Duke of Cambridge replied: "I haven't spoken to him yet but I plan to."

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-william-says-we-are-very-much-not-a-racist-family-and-he-hasnt-spoken-to-harry-yet-but-plans-to-12242614

Your brother accused your family of being racist but you haven’t spoken to him yet?

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886qwto2dt14xlt0k0kxi

On 3/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, HouTex said:

As for leaving the royal family, is Harry really out? As in not in the line of royal succession anymore?

On 3/8/2021 at 10:34 AM, misslaw said:

Yes.  He is done.

Haven't really kept up with the story, but figured that was the deal.  Really though, how bad is it, and how miserable were they to just say screw it all, I'm out of here.

44 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Haven't really kept up with the story, but figured that was the deal.  Really though, how bad is it, and how miserable were they to just say screw it all, I'm out of here.

“I hope your child isn’t too black”

that bad enough?

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

“I hope your child isn’t too black”

that bad enough?

Charles said that. You can reliably and absolutely believe that he couldn’t give a shit about someone’s color. He thinks all people are equally worthless and beneath him. Considering some of the shit he’s been caught saying on hot mics, that’s really not that bad for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i love how william and kate found a black person for a quick photo shoot hahaha

They’re letting themselves get sucked into the fight MMS people wanted them to fight. There are huge cultural differences between our countries in what is seen as “racist”. In America ‘racism’ includes social disenfranchisement, political exclusion and subtle unequal treatment in a country where we are all supposed to be equal. 

The Royals need to just keep their mouth shut. They arent racists, they are in actuality much much worse.

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Maybe cause baby bro is acting like a lil bitch right now. And you got your own shit to worry about. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Maybe cause baby bro is acting like a lil bitch right now. And you got your own shit to worry about. 

I mean there wasn’t really a good way for William to answer that reporter’s question:

1) Dodge it completely. Pretend not to hear it.

2) Say what he said. We are very much not racists.

3) say “hell ya we’re racists, mate!” Whip out a long list of racist shit and read it out loud.

4) Do what I would do...scream, “Hey look it’s the Queen and her two new corgis!” And jump into my ride and race away. 

5) Not go out in public at all. Just Zoom a bunch of appearances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Hmmm... how much money did they lose out on?

Not as much as they're going to make being the high brow version of kardashian social media whores.  

This whole thing is nutty. I'm a white English male and you couldn't pay me enough to marry into the royal family. Yet this half black American female thought she'd just waltz in and live a fairy tale? Gotta stop raising your daughters with false princess dreams. English princesses don't get to do whatever they want. Their role is to look cute and dignified, be personable, but most of all shut the fuck up. And when they do speak only in positive terms that make the crown look good. Her situation is either on her for thinking she'd change that or Harry for not letting her know exactly what's demanded of females in that family. What she did was as stupid as if she married into a Nazi white supremacist family and expected to be happy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2