Crawfish cooker thoughts?

Brisketexan

Ok, back when we used to do big cooks when I was younger, we always borrowed cookers from friends. The traditional pot on a burner cookers. They worked fine.

I’ve been looking at the newer, rectangular all-in-one rigs. The ones at academy look nice....but some folks say that the burners are underpowered?

This one, for example:

c61c63b3e52837ba8af15b538eec8e8c.jpg

3410e6d3b471f1220578f84e55605b44.jpg

I like the setup. But if it’s underpowered, no thanks. Are there others like this that do better? Or are we best off just sticking with the traditional round pot setup?

It’s time. I need to acquire something that can cook a sack at a time, and not take forever to do it. Share your thoughts/experiences.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok, back when we used to do big cooks when I was younger, we always borrowed cookers from friends. The traditional pot on a burner cookers. They worked fine.

I’ve been looking at the newer, rectangular all-in-one rigs. The ones at academy look nice....but some folks say that the burners are underpowered?

This one, for example:

I like the setup. But if it’s underpowered, no thanks. Are there others like this that do better? Or are we best off just sticking with the traditional round pot setup?

It’s time. I need to acquire something that can cook a sack at a time, and not take forever to do it. Share your thoughts/experiences.

My neighbor offered me his for free. It definitely takes a long time to heat up, also not real easy to clean. My Bayou Classic dual jet with a 200 qt. pot boils in about 10 minutes, and will hold over a sack. It cleans up in 2-3 minutes.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

My buddy down the cul de sac has a bayou classic dual jet. I can hear it from my house, about 200 yards away. Definitely burning some gas. How long does a propane tank last with one of those? 

There's a company in Beaumont that makes those all in one style burners, but I think they use a better burner setup. I'll see if I can find them, been a while since I've looked.  

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

My buddy down the cul de sac has a bayou classic dual jet. I can hear it from my house, about 200 yards away. Definitely burning some gas. How long does a propane tank last with one of those? 

There's a company in Beaumont that makes those all in one style burners, but I think they use a better burner setup. I'll see if I can find them, been a while since I've looked.  

Well, you have a vested interest in this.  Should I acquire one, you will assist in the breaking-in process.

10 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

https://www.texascrawfishcookers.com/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's the way mine is. You can't talk in the house even with the doors and windows shut. You better have a 30 lb. bottle/ 8 gal. Two runs will pretty much kill a 4 gal. I've seen neighbors walk out of their house, and the first thing they do, is try to see what's on the airstrip about 400 yards away.

My neighbor that has the unit from Academy also complained that you couldn't get in between the cracks and crevasses between the frame and the boiling tub and get it completely clean. It would start smelling bad enough he couldn't keep it in the garage.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Cleaning

59 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

That's the way mine is. You can't talk in the house even with the doors and windows shut. You better have a 30 lb. bottle/ 8 gal. Two runs will pretty much kill a 4 gal. I've seen neighbors walk out of their house, and the first thing they do, is try to see what's on the airstrip about 400 yards away.

My neighbor that has the unit from Academy also complained that you couldn't get in between the cracks and crevasses between the frame and the boiling tub and get it completely clean. It would start smelling bad enough he couldn't keep it in the garage.

CHIEF

wouldn't the easiest way to clean one of those things be to powerwash it?

20 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

wouldn't the easiest way to clean one of those things be to powerwash it?

He would powerwash his, but apparently the tolerance are pretty tight on the frame, and it is tough to get enough velocity on the water to wash it out. The smell was his biggest complaint. The one KE posted looks to be a better design.

CHIEF

I’ve seen similar but far bigger rigs being used commercially but seems like a pain for an individual. Just get a good double jet burner and 120 qt pot. If you are doing big boils then get 2 set ups. I prefer 2 anyway because, like Chief,  I use 1 as a boiling pot and 1 as a soaker. 

Edited by TonyTexas

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This one, for example:

I heard the ones that Bucee's sales are really good vs the Academy ones.

Being able to boil a bag or 2 at a time and then easily dump them in to a cooler is pretty nice if you regularly boil crawfish.  Here is another option.
https://cajunfryer.com/product-category/cajun-boiler/
I have one of their 4 gallon fryers and am a big fan of it.  They make good stuff.

I was just coming to post this. They make great stuff. I’ve got a 6 gal fryer, 12 gal divided fryer and griddle and am very pleased with all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are in a situation where you have one burner and two pots, one solution is to drop a bucket heater into the standby pot so that it gets nice and hot while in the on deck circle.  I used to do this with my brewing rig before I automated it.  They will get the water pretty hot and you can rig them up to timers so everything is ready to go when you're ready.