The all Encompassing Oyster thread! Raw, roasted, grilled, baked or however you love them. Home Cookouts and beyond!

horn4life

On 3/10/2021 at 6:30 AM, DaysOff said:

Will there be any actual fucking this time?

On 3/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, Dry Elbows said:

How thick are the disposable shells?  My concern is whether they would burn the oysters over direct flame. 

On 3/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Good question.  I'd say they need to be above the flame a decent bit, and they aren't going to be on there long if you want them to remain on the raw side of charred.

Love the cooking method, skipping the shucking, but why not just keep some cleaned oyster shells on hand  though ?

Shells are thin, About like extra heavy duty aluminum foil. 

It’s not an issue. At all. And my Weber gets scalding hot. 

making more tonight!

Digging up that Drago's video got me thinking, what would that approach taste like with chicken (I don't trust San Antonio oysters).  So, on a wild hair I figured I'd give it a shot.  Just pulled 'em off the fire and finished in the oven.  I don't think I used enough Parmesan, but just by appearances it seems promising --

IMG_2594.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Oh, and I had some sliced japs that I needed to get rid of so just threw them in too.
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Cajun said:

Digging up that Drago's video got me thinking, what would that approach taste like with chicken (I don't trust San Antonio oysters).  So, on a wild hair I figured I'd give it a shot.  Just pulled 'em off the fire and finished in the oven.  I don't think I used enough Parmesan, but just by appearances it seems promising --

IMG_2594.jpeg

Let's be honest a real cajun would have gathered up squirrels from the street of the neighborhood...

• Haha 2

Like the old sweet Brittney once said.. "oops I did it again!"  I finished off the last few raw for lunch, but the wife and I with a little help from our daughter devoured another box.   Ate a few dozen raw to start with and chargrilled the rest on the pit.  I was telling the wife we drop $100 just going out an having a couple of drinks with dinner, I would prefer to drop $80 on oysters and hang at the house with my better drinks!  

0FE91AA0-0018-4423-84F3-270FDC747C9F_1_201_a.jpeg

1DD89BB0-62CE-44F9-9016-2036B0D26E2E.jpeg

7B9A702E-A516-4461-BABF-A623A29C212F.jpeg

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

We are heading to N.O. this weekend and I do believe I am going to have to partake in the 75 cent oyster happy hour at Superior Seafood.  I may try to gather a "chargrilled tour" of a few places, Friday and Saturday, if I can get everyone else to buy into the idea.  

Anyone know of a good seafood market or two that sell boxes/bags of oysters in New Orleans that is better than the others?  THX

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

You know, if I'm gonna put my faith in one man's oyster opinions, a hard-charger named "Phlegm" might be that guy.

Just sayin'.

I married into a 5 generation, Chesapeake bay, waterman family.  They know from oysters.  Sweet to salty, and where to find 'em all.

Oh no you did not...
oh yes I did.

galveston bay oysters were palmed off as chesepeak bay oysters for years when the yankees killed cheasapeak bay. back in the 60s and 70s. its back now but their oysters are still shit. fucking yankees.

read all about it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE6V6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RV691NXE9T8FNXWTVHE2

On 3/23/2021 at 12:08 AM, MrPhlegm said:

oh yes I did.

galveston bay oysters were palmed off as chesepeak bay oysters for years when the yankees killed cheasapeak bay. back in the 60s and 70s. its back now but their oysters are still shit. fucking yankees.

read all about it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE6V6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RV691NXE9T8FNXWTVHE2

Ain't reading shit.  It ain't about reading, it's about slurping. Slurping salty or sweet little bivalve morsels (depending on the beds, and proximity to the mouths of rivers flowing into the bay or the bay onto the ocean), and horseradish, and cocktail sauce, and lemon juice, and pea crabs.

awesome.

whole foods had a pretty decent run of nice oysters back in january.  mainly atlantics if you like that kind of thing.  i prefer the washington state area oysters but i'm not picky.  i do think the best oysters for chargrilling are gulf oysters.

NAIAP, hut on Wednesdays, Garbo’s on Mopac has their non-gulf oysters for $2/each, which is a steal.
  • Like 1

Well the one thing I can tell you for sure about new Orleans that the folks in the Quarter are all immune... Just kidding, but the lines at ACME are definitely back.  

I thought this was an interesting place to get an idea of pricing barometer in an area that sells more oysters that anywhere else in the world. New Orleans.  What was funniest to me is that they were selling Texas Oysters from area 25, for $1.75 a pop.  Same area I got my bag from at Quality Seafood, coincidentally.   We ate like 8 dozen at Superior Seafood, and 3 dozen at Luke. The ones at Luke were overall slightly smaller, was about the only difference I could tell.  I wanted to eat regular seafood main plates so I didn't opt for any of the grilled.

https://www.sidecarnola.com/bites

I assume all the prices are slightly inflated on the raw, but thought it was a good catch all of the relative pricing of different oysters and their sauce pairings.

Slurp, Slurp!

11 hours ago, horn4life said:

Well the one thing I can tell you for sure about new Orleans that the folks in the Quarter are all immune... Just kidding, but the lines at ACME are definitely back.  

I thought this was an interesting place to get an idea of pricing barometer in an area that sells more oysters that anywhere else in the world. New Orleans.  What was funniest to me is that they were selling Texas Oysters from area 25, for $1.75 a pop.  Same area I got my bag from at Quality Seafood, coincidentally.   We ate like 8 dozen at Superior Seafood, and 3 dozen at Luke. The ones at Luke were overall slightly smaller, was about the only difference I could tell.  I wanted to eat regular seafood main plates so I didn't opt for any of the grilled.

https://www.sidecarnola.com/bites

I assume all the prices are slightly inflated on the raw, but thought it was a good catch all of the relative pricing of different oysters and their sauce pairings.

Slurp, Slurp!

That’s because Galveston is closed. Think Matagorda is, too. 

On 3/31/2021 at 10:04 PM, Dry Elbows said:

That’s because Galveston is closed. Think Matagorda is, too. 

what do you mean?  they are harvesting oysters in galveston and matagorda bays.  last i heard only half the areas are closed in galveston bay to let them grow up to size.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:39 AM, smuggs said:

If you are ever passing through Louisiana, Rouses carries Drago's sauce on ice:

large_e222ee67-cd2f-4acb-bdca-56fb51a610

Got 5 dozen and a bottle of this. No idea what I'm doing but I love oysters and never made them myself. Going to do 2 raw 3 chargrilled 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

So are there any discounted oysters in Austin these days?  Like Happy hour?  I have basically burned the wife out with a month of massive oyster consumption, but I am getting my second wind.  I am thinking another box in two weeks and some additional chargrilled recipe trial runs and modifications.

So where is my best oyster deal in Austin right now?

13 minutes ago, horn4life said:

So are there any discounted oysters in Austin these days?  Like Happy hour?  I have basically burned the wife out with a month of massive oyster consumption, but I am getting my second wind.  I am thinking another box in two weeks and some additional chargrilled recipe trial runs and modifications.

So where is my best oyster deal in Austin right now?

I don't know why, but some how the term discounted oysters just sounds a little scary to me.

Whole Foods (in the Woodlands at least) has Gulf Oysters for $.59 Amazon Prime members/$.69 non-Prime members...
[mention=251]Pescado_Rojo[/mention] picked up a sack of 100 from whole foods Domain for that price.  As a pre-game for a crawfish boil, we pounded them for lunch.  They were super-briny, and incredibly easy to shuck -- we were able to crank them out quickly.  We ate quite a few just that way, but also chargrilled a bunch....

378ad568ffd8ae669864459d35a379f5.jpg
7ca6689f42d24d26ffb0844fb8ec35e1.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, that was one of my better purchases. They were amazingly briny and fresh. I may go buy a few dozen more next weekend to do here at the house. 

I saw that deal out here too.  Waited until Sunday and they were gone.  So for the 100ct, did you just ask what they had in the back or did you make a special order or something. That's a lot of shucking but with a few knives working could make quick work. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I saw that deal out here too.  Waited until Sunday and they were gone.  So for the 100ct, did you just ask what they had in the back or did you make a special order or something. That's a lot of shucking but with a few knives working could make quick work. 

I called them on Wednesday and they added an extra sack to their normal order. They were delivered Friday and I picked them up Friday afternoon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I called them on Wednesday and they added an extra sack to their normal order. They were delivered Friday and I picked them up Friday afternoon. 

200.gif

ETA: I asked them how long that deal was going to run when I was in there on Friday, and they guy checked the tag and it said through the 20th. 

Edited by Anastasis

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We had two Oxo knives working, and we made quick work.  They shucked easily, too.  Probably the best oyster purchase we've ever been a part of.   Hat's off to PR for finding them.

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We had two Oxo knives working, and we made quick work.  They shucked easily, too.  Probably the best oyster purchase we've ever been a part of.   Hat's off to PR for finding them.

Yeah, that is the knife I use as well. I fell like I am speeding up my shucking, but would need 2-3 additional knives to work over a 100 ct rapidly. 

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, that is the knife I use as well. I fell like I am speeding up my shucking, but would need 2-3 additional knives to work over a 100 ct rapidly. 

We shucked 70+ pretty quickly with just two shuckers.  Probably an oyster every 20-30 seconds each (I mean, we were drinking and bullshitting at the same time).  Last night, I shucked the last 16 in probably 5 minutes at the most.

• Like 1

Far from coonass so be gentle... the shucking has been a deterrent from getting them in the past, just whips my ass even with a good oyster knife. In recent times I’ve resorted to just popping a tray of them into the oven and they pop right open after a couple minutes. Does that create any health issues ‘soft heating’ them like that? They’ve gone into pasta dishes mainly after so they get flash cooked in the end anyhow.

Far from coonass so be gentle... the shucking has been a deterrent from getting them in the past, just whips my ass even with a good oyster knife. In recent times I’ve resorted to just popping a tray of them into the oven and they pop right open after a couple minutes. Does that create any health issues ‘soft heating’ them like that? They’ve gone into pasta dishes mainly after so they get flash cooked in the end anyhow.

Ok....yeah, I dont get it. Just a practice. Get a dozen done, and the next dozen will come easy.

If they’re ending up cooked....why don’t you just buy a jar of shucked oysters?

24 minutes ago, bluto said:

Are guys shucking them prior to grilling them as well? No need to if so. Do exactly what is described above, throw them on the grill until they open, tear off the upper shell, then throw in your butter and seasonings and finish grilling.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Are guys shucking them prior to grilling them as well? No need to if so. Do exactly what is described above, throw them on the grill until they open, tear off the upper shell, then throw in your butter and seasonings and finish grilling.

Next thing you are going to tell me that it's acceptable to use those ceramic oyster shells and just lazy some shucked oysters out of the container into them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

CHIEF Jr. has the easiest answer. Just stick that knife in the oyster's butthole and twist. That fucker could make high six figures at ACME. A real fuckin' shuckin' oyster machine. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
to many oysters
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. has the easiest answer. Just stick that knife in the oyster's butthole and twist. That fucker could make high six figures at ACME. A real fuckin' oyster shuckin' oyster machine. 

CHIEF

The day when I can turn the oyster shucking over to the Jr. will be a great day indeed.