Let’s talk skeeters

I live at the end of a street, I’m on the low end of the grade so water tends to collect around me. Whatcha got for getting out ahead of these bastards this year? Thermacell didn’t do shit and candles don’t either. Tried the Spartan tubes but late start last yr. would strongly prefer to not have to apply stuff every time I sit on my porch.

A pyrethrin misting - either through an automatic system you install or manually through a fogger as @woohorn mentions is the best way to target them, but becomes an uphill battle unless / until you target the source.  Eliminate the standing water to best of your ability, and then treat what remains consistently with mosquito dunks.

Once you establish a foothold it is easier to keep them at bay.

A misting system will allow you to knock them down on a regular schedule and then hit them with a little extra right before or while you're outside.  Not inexpensive, but possible as a DIY and worth it, especially if you have a large investment in an outdoor living area or have someone who is very sensitive to bites. 

The downside of pyrethrin is that is will also target beneficial insects and should be done at dawn and dusk when you have a chance to minimize those casualties while maximizing the effect on the mosquitos. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Jump the fence and treat the puddles.  Skeeters can't fly very far.  I don't recall the distance, but treating a few of your closest neighbors would go a long way.  And call the city on them.  There are rules, Man.

Yep - You can toss those dunks where you need to.  Surely you have something left in that arm, Uncle Rico.

A thermal propane fogger armed with prymethin will provide some noticeable short term benefits, especially if you fog the area for a couple of mornings and evenings in advance of any event.  Benefits last 36-72 hours until the next batch comes in.  If you're mostly outside on weekends, you could fog twice on Fridays and again Saturday morning  and get some real benefit if you can drag ass out of bed at the right times.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, and pardon the ignorance, but shouldn't the late season freeze in Dallas really help with culling some of the Skeeters and other critters this Spring?
Maybe some. But it's cold as heck in MN until May. And those things seem to come out as soon as the ice melts.

12 hours ago, Parliament said:
On 3/10/2021 at 11:33 AM, DonkeyCigars said:
Also, and pardon the ignorance, but shouldn't the late season freeze in Dallas really help with culling some of the Skeeters and other critters this Spring?

Maybe some. But it's cold as heck in MN until May. And those things seem to come out as soon as the ice melts.

Depending on the type, they can hibernate, or put their eggs in water and the eggs will hatch.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, Dangit said:

My dad did in2care up in dfw last year after misting for a few years. He felt the in2care pots were much better and as a major plus weren’t negatively impacted by rain. I’m going to give it a try this year. 

I deal In2care units with my business. If properly maintained, they do work.

13 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I deal In2care units with my business. If properly maintained, they do work.

Can regular consumers buy these? Their website says the below. Best to use a professional?

Are you a homeowner?

Professional servicing by Pest Management companies is needed for the employment of the In2Care Mosquito Trap. Veseris can assist you to find Pest Control experts in your area. Call toll-free 800-888-4897.

33 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

Can regular consumers buy these? Their website says the below. Best to use a professional?

Are you a homeowner?

Professional servicing by Pest Management companies is needed for the employment of the In2Care Mosquito Trap. Veseris can assist you to find Pest Control experts in your area. Call toll-free 800-888-4897.

I'm not sure if they are available to purchase by the general public but you might check with local pest control product dealers in your area to see if they have them. It's likely they would sell them to you if they stock them. The main chemical dealer in my area(Tyler) will sell them to anyone

Professional servicing of the unit is not needed. All you need is the unit and the monthly refill packets(chemical powder)

Edited by immortal13
  • Hook 'Em 1

Where was it last year they finally unleashed that massive biological experiment where like 90% of the mosquitoes for miles in every direction would only be male, and thus no bite?  

On 3/16/2021 at 7:58 PM, KYHorn said:

Seems pretty awesome. I'm assuming they work on mosquitos other than aedes?

I had this last year and it seemed to help, but not as effective as I would have liked. I’m hoping this year is better.  I’ve done a few more things to reduce standing water areas.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

Haven't tried much except the box fan plus mesh trick (which is quite rewarding, but hard to tell how many actual mosquitoes among the thousands of carcasses), but I just purchased a dynotrap with attractant (lactic acid + octenol +ammonium bicarbonate) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V34Y67M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). All the journal articles I read said this combo was the most effective. I also just got some Mavrik Perimeter Insecticide. It has strong reviews and is safe for bees after drying, unlike Bifen IT, which seems most popular. Will keep you posted. 

Side note: This would be a great study for a science fair project.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty averse to spraying poisons around my house/yard. 

I've had decent luck with this product surprisingly - it's all natural. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UJTBWE?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It's a short term thing, lasts maybe a few hours, and likely only effective in small areas. 

But if I sprinkle it around the perimeter of my porch prior to guests coming over, it seems to help.